Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 05-04-2012, 11:16 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Yoto, the point I was trying to make is that there are a few front 7 pieces who are signed here for multiple years: Wilkerson, Coples, Pouha, and Ellis on the defensive line and Harris and Davis at linebacker. Of those players Wilkerson, Ellis, and Harris could easily fit in the 4-3 or the 3-4. Pouha is a better 3-4 fit though he could fit in the 4-3, and Coples and Davis are better 4-3 fits though they fit in the 3-4. However, Pouha can easily be cut.

Fact of the matter is the players they most recently brought in are better 4-3 fits than 3-4 fits, and the new defensive line coach (Dunbar) comes from a 4-3 background. It would be very easy to get rid of all 3-4 personnel. Scott, Pace, and Thomas are all likely gone after this season, so Pace's role in the defense is irrelevant. Maybe they were just trying to get faster, but I could very easily see a switch to more 4-3 looks than 3-4 looks in the near future. They run both anyway, but right now it's easier to find 4-3 personnel.

Pouha can be NG in 4-3 but it is kind of expensive to have him around as a backup to Wilkerson.

I see 2 reasons.

Jets got 4-3ish players because they are lighter and quick to mix in with heavy and slow players.

Pass rushing department players for now with being groomed into a legit 3-4 players for future.

Dunbar coaches DL only and Pettine is in charge of defense. Since Pettine knows nothing or a little bit about 4-3 background, I dont see that way. Also, Dunbar is a knack for having DL that actually sacks quarterback. That matters the most since we have raw pass rushers like Coples and Ellis.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:56 AM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ive read a lot of this conversation of 4-3 or 3-4 personnel or whether the defense was switching because of this coach's background or whatever. The Jets have basically never run a traditional 3-4 and won't run a traditional 4-3 any time in the future. If we are gonna get into backgrounds of coaches the only ones that matter are Pettine and Rex. A D-Line coach? Who cares? He'll teach them technique and **** and Pettine will worry about the overall defense.

I truly believe the idea that players can always be defined as a 4-3 or 3-4 guy is stupid. I'm not saying its completely not vaild as was the case with Vilma in the 3-4 as an example of a guy not being as effective. I just think with the extreme specialization of roles with all the different packages for downs and situations, if a guy is talented and a coach knows what he's doing, a talented player will be successful.
josh07039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:22 PM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have never seen Terrance Ganaway play. But based on the 2 scouting mini reports I've seen &, meaurables. Seems like Blount (Bucs) but with some recieving ability.

Sig by, Hitman D
katnip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:09 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Almost all of the Jets related articles right now are about the differences between Sparano and Schottenheimer. It all sounds positive right now, but lets hope we see a difference on the field this year because at the end of the day if the offense still sputters the positive buzz now is meaningless.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:34 AM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
I did sense us going more towards a 4-3 with the way they're drafting, however. I think it'll be much more like Baltimore's set-up where it was sort of situational, playing to the weaknesses of the offense they're facing and moving back and forth from a 3-4 and 4-3. They both have their benefits, and really, Rex and them wouldn't preach so much about positional versatility in the front seven if it wasn't for the fact that they wanted to feature multiple sets (including the 46).

Saw this today from Newark Star-Ledger, thought it would give some more insight to the whole argument of what type of Def the Jets are going to run:

"Jets DL coach Karl Dunbar plans to employ frequent "46 fronts" on defense this season. Rex Ryan wants to use the 46 "as much as we can." Invented by Rex's father Buddy, the alignment employs four down linemen and eight in the box. Quinton Coples will be the left end with Calvin Pace or Aaron Maybin rushing off the weak side. The interior tackles will be Muhammad Wilkerson and Sione Pouha. The Jets will remain a difficult team to run against in 2012, and Ryan will devise creative blitzes out of the formation."
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:31 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's interesting, I'd certainly support more use of the 46. Obviously they've brought in some more speed and athleticism, and sacrificed a bit of size to do so. Bringing 8 guys into the box would help against the run, and there are a lot of potential blitz packages from the 46 of course. The strength at corner makes it easier to run too.

Probably bodes well for Allen provided he's up to playing in the NFL as his role as a "spur" at South Carolina is going to be similar to what he'd have to do as an in the box safety in the 46. Not sure who the deep safety on the team is though.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:45 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Speaking of Allen and the Safety position overall, awhile back the Jets hosted Yeremiah Bell, but I hadn't really heard any follow up from it. I read today that Bell is expected to make a decision on a team within the next 24 hours. Bell is getting up there in age, and had a down year last year, but I'm hoping the Jets pick him up for depth. What are your guys thoughts on the Jets making a move to sign here? I don't trust that Landry will hold up. And while Allen was a very productive Safety in college, reports question his range in the NFL.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:57 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Obviously it's tough to expect much from a 6th or 7th round pick, and likely that's what the team would be left with if/when Landry goes down. I'm not sure that Bell really has that superior range to a guy like Allen at this point in time. Obviously he's a veteran, but the Jets have two veteran safeties on the roster at this point who have both started plenty of games, two rookies they obviously like for certain roles at least, and a second year guy they had on the roster last season they obviously like as well. I think the team has enough at safety, obviously there's likely to be some injuries but that's what the younger guys are there fore. Besides his experience I don't think Bell brings much to the table beyond what the team already has, and it just takes away from another roster spot that the team can use on a more valuable young player.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:26 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Well it looks like Bell ended picking the Jets. Some think it was a surprise that he didn't choose the Eagles. You make good points Derza about what now looks like a crowded field of Safeties. When it comes to Eric Smith though, I like to root for the guy and think he has a great motor, but it was painful watching him get beat towards the end of the year. I'm not sure if Bell, who is six years older than Smith, will be that much better, but his numbers say he is. I find it hard to think they keep that many Safeties active. Who do you think becomes expendable?
Old 05-18-2012, 01:29 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Well I certainly think there are opportunities for play time with the Jets. It'll be interesting to see who gets squeezed out, I can't see them keeping more than 5 safeties. Personally given I agree on how painful it was to watch Smith, I'm hoping he's gone.

That said I bet they hang onto all three veterans. I could see them keeping 5 safeties total if there are 5 that play well, so likely the two rookies get held onto and Tracy Wilson gets bounced. I'd rather see Smith get bounced since the team now has essentially 4 box safeties, but that seems unlikely. This probably closes the door on Leonhard too unless they're planning on cutting some guys who we don't expect them to cut.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:32 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Whoops, meant 5 years older. But anyways, just read the following report on Landry"

"Jets SS LaRon Landry (Achilles') has not been a regular participant in the team's offseason conditioning program. Landry has been to the facility since he signed in March, but he "has not been regularly participating in training or meetings." The New York beat writers don't know why. It's no secret that multiple teams passed on Landry in free agency because the medical exams on his Achilles' were so poor. The Jets surprisingly guaranteed virtually all of Yeremiah Bell's contract as insurance."

The signing of Bell makes a lot more sense now. Sounds like Landry made a big mistake by not getting surgery done way back like the Redskins advised him to. Doesn't sound healthy.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:29 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kenrick Ellis pleads guilty to assault and will serve 45 days in jail. He'll only miss a couple days of camp. There was talk about him being deported so we're lucky here.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:50 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

If I recall correctly he basically hit a guy who came at him with a baseball bat so it was a self defense kind of thing. Think the whole chance of him getting deported thing was mostly the media trying to make it sound more dramatic than it was. Thought he might have gotten off anyway but at least he won't miss much camp. Apparently there's a civil suit pending too, so I'm sure they guy he hit doesn't want to negatively influence his earnings potential.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:00 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If I recall correctly he basically hit a guy who came at him with a baseball bat so it was a self defense kind of thing. Think the whole chance of him getting deported thing was mostly the media trying to make it sound more dramatic than it was. Thought he might have gotten off anyway but at least he won't miss much camp. Apparently there's a civil suit pending too, so I'm sure they guy he hit doesn't want to negatively influence his earnings potential.

If Eley actually used a baseball bat to strike Ellis then there would be a civil lawsuit for him. I don't see anywhere about it so that means Ellis could strike Eley right after Eley verbally threatened to attack him with a baseball bat.

I don't know what is the truth out there in Hampton, Va but it is good thing that Ellis did not kill Eley.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:53 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

From an ESPN report:

"Santonio Holmes pulled himself out of Thursday's OTA practice because he felt he was unfairly overworked by coaches. Per ESPN New York, Holmes "staged a mini-meltdown" near the end of the two-hour workout. He tossed his helmet and exchanged words with WRs coach Sanjay Lal. "I was talking to the coach, letting him understand it was too many reps today," Holmes said. "I've been gone for a while, so I can't be at full tempo like the rest of the guys and where they want us to be at." Holmes missed voluntary workouts while in Germany on a USO trip, and apparently 25 reps were too many. This won't help his shaky reputation inside the Jets' locker room."

WTF is with this guy. I know he is the Jets #1, but I've never really bought into the idea that he is a #1. Not even when in Pittsburg. He's only had 1 thousand yard season, only caught more than 55 balls in a season once, and never put up double digit TD's. At best, this guy is a #2. Unfortunately he is the best we have. I'm hoping Hill learns quickly, the Jets dump Holmes after this year, and we address WR early in the draft again next year. He is the locker room cancer. To compare, Revis, with the threat of holding out, is reported as never taking a play off in OTA's, and being the most impressive player on the field. Rex Ryan went on to say something about how Revis wont have a single regret when he retires from the game with his effort, approach, and leadership. This wont be the last negative report we hear from Holmes this season.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:08 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...enerate-sacks/

Not surprising but I hope Davis and Pace are ready for a pure OLB job.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:16 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotoJets007 View Post
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...enerate-sacks/

Not surprising but I hope Davis and Pace are ready for a pure OLB job.
Probably a good idea with the personnel we've been bringing in. I think Davis will be fine playing OLB. Pace I'm not sure about. Pace might be better off playing right end. Bryan Thomas is a better coverage guy but who knows how he's gonna be coming off a season ending injury. And Coples would be playing LE I would assume, his best which chance of succeeding IMO.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 06-15-2012, 08:49 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I'd imagine Harris would stay in the middle, Davis and Scott would play OLB primarily, Pace and Coples would play end, and Wilkerson and Pouha would play tackle.

Can always mix in Thomas at end or outside linebacker, Maybin at end, and DeVito and Ellis at tackle. Plus others I'm forgetting. In the nickel kick Coples inside, play Maybin at end, and take Pouha and Scott off the field. Lots of options. Think it's good with the current personnel.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:44 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I'd imagine Harris would stay in the middle, Davis and Scott would play OLB primarily, Pace and Coples would play end, and Wilkerson and Pouha would play tackle.

Can always mix in Thomas at end or outside linebacker, Maybin at end, and DeVito and Ellis at tackle. Plus others I'm forgetting. In the nickel kick Coples inside, play Maybin at end, and take Pouha and Scott off the field. Lots of options. Think it's good with the current personnel.

4-3 against Patriots.. How does it work since Davis seemingly is only one with man coverage skill. Mauga? Berning? Lighter Scott? Thomas?

I guess Eric Smith will see a bunch of action as extra LB. Or copying John Fox's defense as Maybin plays Von Miller's role.

Sack time is the most important to Jets because coverage still is not that good.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:02 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotoJets007 View Post
4-3 against Patriots.. How does it work since Davis seemingly is only one with man coverage skill. Mauga? Berning? Lighter Scott? Thomas?

I guess Eric Smith will see a bunch of action as extra LB. Or copying John Fox's defense as Maybin plays Von Miller's role.

Sack time is the most important to Jets because coverage still is not that good.
Well even if they run a 3-4 against the Pats there's still only Davis with coverage ability. Purely speculating I'd guess they might run a good amount of big nickel against the Pats to try to combat the 2 TE sets since, as you pointed out, only Davis can really cover as a LB. Thomas too, but I think expectations for him should be set pretty low this year.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:19 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Well even if they run a 3-4 against the Pats there's still only Davis with coverage ability. Purely speculating I'd guess they might run a good amount of big nickel against the Pats to try to combat the 2 TE sets since, as you pointed out, only Davis can really cover as a LB. Thomas too, but I think expectations for him should be set pretty low this year.
Good point! I am just thinking out loud.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:45 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just my two cents, but who cares who is covering what receiver if the Qb is consistently on his ass? For once can this team generate some pressure and actually rack up some sacks? We really should have the personnel to get to the qb even if we did stupidly let jamal westerman go.
josh07039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:36 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

So perhaps Wayne Hunter won't be starting this year. Thoughts on the Otah acquisition?
Old 07-23-2012, 05:40 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Love it. I think we're all aware that Otah has been an underachiever being a former first round pick, but he's pretty solid when he's healthy. Hunter was brutal last year so I'm not surprised at all we went out and got somebody. I'm assuming they'll compete for the job but if he's healthy, Otah will be the starting RT.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-23-2012, 06:07 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Excited about the Otah signing. Probably just because he isn't Hunter. Another boom or bust addition for the Jets. He's only appeared in 4 games over the last two years, and Panther reporters and coaches have questioned if he cares about football, along with some labeling him "soft". But he is young, and a former first round pick, so I'm hoping for upside here.