Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 02-11-2014, 09:46 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm actually going to go back and agree with the masses. If I can have one high-priced FA, it'd be Byrd. Watching tape of Orakpo, it brings me back to why I didn't like him that much coming out of the draft. Byrd's simply the better player. I still think the LB group is the pivotal place to changing this defense, but that isn't where the value is. Luckily, there's some potential talent there in the draft, which I'll highlight in my rankings I'll be coming out with any minute now...

EDIT: Also, I did not realize Jared Allen is going to be a FA. 31, but I really wouldn't mind bringing him in. He definitely has the ability to rush the passer still and he'd probably be good for 2 or so years. If he was relatively cheap, he'd fit for the NY media as well.

Last edited by thetedginnshow : 02-11-2014 at 10:44 PM.
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:47 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also, I figure I might as well ask you guys, buuuuuut... I'm thinking of making the trip to NY for the draft, so long as I can find a place to stay and get everything squared away with work (plane tickets appear relatively cheap). I heard that it's first come first serve for tickets in. Is that true? How realistic is it to get them? And how does it work for Day 2 and Day 3? When do you line up for that? If I can get it locked down, I'd like to go all three days. Never been to NY, never been to draft... never really been around other Jets fans... so I want to make it happen! Help me out please!
Old 02-11-2014, 11:13 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
Also, I figure I might as well ask you guys, buuuuuut... I'm thinking of making the trip to NY for the draft, so long as I can find a place to stay and get everything squared away with work (plane tickets appear relatively cheap). I heard that it's first come first serve for tickets in. Is that true? How realistic is it to get them? And how does it work for Day 2 and Day 3? When do you line up for that? If I can get it locked down, I'd like to go all three days. Never been to NY, never been to draft... never really been around other Jets fans... so I want to make it happen! Help me out please!

If you have to fly in, I'd say it isn't worth it.

I wish I could answer the rest, but the last time I went to the draft was 2006.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:49 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've actually never been to the draft despite living in NJ. Kind of seems like a hassle to get in early enough to guarantee tickets for the first round and I like watching day 3 at home. Day 2 might be cool to swing in for one of the next few years though.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:55 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Top Big Money Free Agents are likely Michael Johnson, Brian Orakpo and Jarius Byrd.

Michael Johnson could join with Mike Zimmer replacing Jared Allen.

Redskins lack of draft picks so re-signing Orakpo is necessary with a plenty of cap room.

Bills are planning to slap Byrd a F-tag and there is no way for Jets to make a trade with Bills.

After that, Jets may not cut Cromartie by March 11. However, Jets could cut Cromartie in order to pursue Sanders hard. Who knows?

There is the group of Free Agents I like to sign for a good price. After rookies, taxi players and preseason fillers, Jets should have about 31-32m with Cromartie aboard. Ideally, Jets would have to spend no more than 28m during free agency.

- WR Riley Cooper.
- WR Andre Roberts.
- TE Garrett Graham.
- OLB Anthony Spencer.
- QB Josh McCown.
- RT Austin Howard.
- RG Willie Colon.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:09 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I do not want the Jets to sign two free agent wide receivers. At least not two that they're expecting to start. Not with the sheer volume of quality receiver prospects in the draft this year.

As far as Cromartie goes..... really, it's not possible for him to just take a pay cut? It's clear he's willing to stay with the Jets for a cheaper salary.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:24 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cutting Cromartie to create extra 9.5m will allow Jets to be aggressive on free agency. Jets can bring him back once Jets' driven is dying down.

A small problem is there are several teams that seek his service so the plan could be consist of Cromartie's restructure and Sanders' payment. That's it. The rest of holes will be filled by cheapsie and rookies.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:29 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Mark Sanchez may be with Jets next season? Interesting.

If so, I would love to see Sanchez to accept 8m off the 2014 base salary. That means it would save Jets 8m instead of 8.3m (cut). Dunno if it is a real possibility but you can only hope.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:54 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotoJets007 View Post
Mark Sanchez may be with Jets next season? Interesting.

If so, I would love to see Sanchez to accept 8m off the 2014 base salary. That means it would save Jets 8m instead of 8.3m (cut). Dunno if it is a real possibility but you can only hope.
Man I hope not.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:56 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's got to be a smokescreen to see if they can get a team to give a late pick to get Sanchez and restructure his deal. Keeping him would be a mess. Article seemed like complete speculation too.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:26 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Word is Byrd will be re-signed or franchised, so I doubt he will garner much interest from us. Kind of feel like all the buzz positions (WR, DB, OL) will probably be filled with cheap veterans and then hopefully further added to with the draft. If we spend a little bit more money, I would expect it would be at QB and possibly LB (but there probably aren't too many guys we can go after at LB).
Old 02-25-2014, 12:29 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

DeMarcus Ware is a potential salary cap casualty. With the likelyhood of Orakpo being franchised, I'm wondering if the Jets are just waiting for Ware to hit free agency and make that their sports page move for the offseason.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:40 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
DeMarcus Ware is a potential salary cap casualty. With the likelyhood of Orakpo being franchised, I'm wondering if the Jets are just waiting for Ware to hit free agency and make that their sports page move for the offseason.
Idzik did sign a bunch of guys who were cut last offseason since it's helpful with the comp selection formula...
Old 02-25-2014, 11:55 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Well, I love Ware, so if that happened, I'd probably fly to NY for a bit just to do a dance.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:02 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Yeah I've always been a huge fan of Ware.

With the news Byrd is likely being franchised (not new news, but regardless) I really wonder where the FA money goes. Wonder if they sign some riskier guys to deals that seem big on the surface but don't have a lot of guaranteed money on the back end. But with the cap being as high as it is they're going to have a whole lot of space and it's not at all clear to me where they're going to use it. March is going to be a fun month.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:18 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Count me in on Ware if he's cut by Dallas. At his age, hopefully he's looking for a reasonable contract. We do have a ton of cap space though, so I wouldn't really mind overpaying a tad for him.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:25 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
Count me in on Ware if he's cut by Dallas. At his age, hopefully he's looking for a reasonable contract. We do have a ton of cap space though, so I wouldn't really mind overpaying a tad for him.
Overpaying isn't really an issue this year. A vet like Ware who won't be looking for that many years is absolutely worth "over"paying this year.

Ideal signing. And he'd probably love to play for Rex and/or in NY. Get it done, Idzik. Seattle signed two pass rushers last year - follow your former mentor's lead.

A one-year deal makes sense too. Why not offer him 6-8M for one year with sack incentives? They've got the room.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:31 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

At this point I have no idea who that cap space is going to be used on. Jeremy Maclin is apparently going to be staying with the Eagles. Ware is certainly an option, but he doesn't warrant that long term big money contract.

Maybe Rodger Safford? Left guard has kind of been the weak link (other than Wayne Hunter) of the offensive line ever since Faneca left.

In truth, I don't really want T.J. Ward. Maybe Stevie Brown at FS? He's not particularly physical, but wow was he a ballhawk a few years ago.

If Maclin isn't going to be available, there aren't very many free agent WR's I'd like to see on the Jets. James Jones maybe? I look at Eric Decker and Hakeem Nicks as big money free agent busts waiting to happen.

Could the Jets finally put Antonio Cromartie and Dominique Rodgers Cromartie in the same secondary?
Old 02-27-2014, 12:09 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
At this point I have no idea who that cap space is going to be used on. Jeremy Maclin is apparently going to be staying with the Eagles. Ware is certainly an option, but he doesn't warrant that long term big money contract.

Maybe Rodger Safford? Left guard has kind of been the weak link (other than Wayne Hunter) of the offensive line ever since Faneca left.

In truth, I don't really want T.J. Ward. Maybe Stevie Brown at FS? He's not particularly physical, but wow was he a ballhawk a few years ago.

If Maclin isn't going to be available, there aren't very many free agent WR's I'd like to see on the Jets. James Jones maybe? I look at Eric Decker and Hakeem Nicks as big money free agent busts waiting to happen.

Could the Jets finally put Antonio Cromartie and Dominique Rodgers Cromartie in the same secondary?
Well the thing people don't understand about "overpaying" guys is that there is no point in NOT using all the cap space available to make your team as good as it can be. Now you can absolutely get in trouble in later years of bad contracts but if your decision is either pay James Jones a big contract that the talking heads will say he's not worth or sign a lesser receiver to a cheap contract but have Woody Johnson pocket the rest, what's the better move for your football team?

That's why I'm not so sure about cutting Cromartie. Is he worth 9M next year based on how he played last year and his age/volatility? Probably not. But given their situation, it might simply be in the best interest of the team to keep him even though his salary is high relative to his worth as a player. No point in freeing up 9M if you don't have a combination of pieces to use that cash on. And the reality is that there are only X amount of ways to use that money in a given free agency considering THEY ultimately choose where they sign.

I have them at 40.35M keeping Cromartie and Kyle Wilson, cutting Sanchez, Holmes, and Mike Goodson.

If they cut Cro, it jumps to 49.4M. If they cut Wilson, it's 51M.

That's a lotttttttttt of cap space.

And the possibilities are literally endless. Here's something I think they could afford:

Re-sign RT Austin Howard and OG Willie Colon (10M)
LB DeMarcus Ware (8M)
TE Jermichael Finley (4M)
QB Michael Vick (3M) OR Matt Schaub
CB Walter Thurmond III (4M)
S Antoine Bethea (5M)
WR James Jones (7M)

Then draft (projected an extra 5th and 3 6th by the guy who predicts comp picks)
1) Odell Beckham Jr., WR/PR, LSU
2) Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Eastern Illinois
3) Marcus Smith, OLB, Louisville
3) C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa
4) Dri Archer, OW/KR, Kent State
5) Marqueston Huff, FS, Wyoming
5) Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor
6) Storm Johnson, RB, UCF
6) Rob Blanchflower, TE, Massachusetts
6) Zack Kerr, DT, Delaware
6) Keith Reaser, CB, FIU
7) Parker Graham, OT, Oklahoma State

Vick/Schaub/Jimmy G with last year's OL and all those added offensive weapons? Adding Ware and Bethea to the D?

It's a lot, but the Jets could really splurge. Having all the extra picks and all the cap room helps a lot.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:28 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

I'd be very concerned about bringing Jermichael Finley in. I really don't think he should even continue his professional football career. Spinal injuries are not a joke and I'd be afraid for him every time he was on the field.

I've given my opinion about Vick and Schaub, so I don't feel I need to go over that again. Allegedly the Jets are interested in Josh McCown and I think that would be a better option for them.

I'm not sure if you know this, but your Jets mock has the #6 ranked rushing offense (ninth if you go by YPC) drafting three running backs.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:32 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

No point freeing up 9m? lol I think you always do that if you can. Cro already said earlier on he expects to be cut, but he loves it here. He can surely be had for less on a new deal. He isn't really a guy chasing the money.

And really, people seem to want to spend the money just to spend the money. We're going to be over the minimum, so we could very well just keep all the cap space. It would, however, not make much sense to let Howard walk if we have a considerable amount of cap space, and I don't really see why we wouldn't get a contract for big Mo if we can. Unless you expect him to get hurt or regress, his cap number is only going to go up the longer you wait to extend him.

Don't want any part of Finley, but I love James Jones. He'd bring a much-needed veteran presence to our WR corp, and a big body like that would really help us in the red zone.

Surprised you think Storm and Seastrunk will drop that far, but I love Storm. Maybe because when he runs he reminds me of Boobie Miles haha. I would sign off on most of that draft though, except drafting 3 RBs would be quite excessive.

Also, free agency is going to be big for us on two fronts. One, of course, there's the impending free agents from both our team and guys we'll want to bring in. But on the other end, if Revis isn't let go before March 13, we get a 3rd round pick from the Bucs instead of a 4th. I wonder if they're allowed to just cut and then re-sign him, but that would be awfully sad if we didn't have some sort of language in the contract preventing that. For my money, he was still the best corner in the league last year, so I don't really know why they would give up on him when things are starting to look up for them, but it's very possible.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:37 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

No offense but the Finley medical situation isn't really something fans should judge. If he gets a contract, he passed a team physical, and we'd be wise to trust the doctor rather than make a generalization about something we don't know that much about (his specific injury, its recover, its risk for recurring, etc.). No team is going to sign him if there's significant risk of something horrible happening. I'm operating under the assumption that he's cleared 100%, which is probably the only way he'd consider playing anyway...

Here's a take:

Quote:
Maroon, the Steelers' neurosurgeon, performed Finley's neck fusion surgery and recently said there's a "99.9 percent" chance Finley will make a full recovery. Each of the 32 teams in the NFL is going to have its own opinion on Finley, but Baratz expects the soon-to-be 27-year-old to have an active market. The Packers are considered "pretty unlikely" to re-sign Finley.
As for the three backs thing, Archer's has value well beyond being lined up in the backfield, Seastrunk has special teams potential and could be an upgrade over Powell, and Johnson's a BPA type selection in the freakin 6th round - he strikes me as a Rex type of kid.

I count two true RBs in the 5th and 6th round. Position doesn't really matter at that point in the draft. You aren't filling holes there, you're just taking the best players on your board.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:42 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
No point freeing up 9m? lol I think you always do that if you can. Cro already said earlier on he expects to be cut, but he loves it here. He can surely be had for less on a new deal. He isn't really a guy chasing the money.

And really, people seem to want to spend the money just to spend the money. We're going to be over the minimum, so we could very well just keep all the cap space. It would, however, not make much sense to let Howard walk if we have a considerable amount of cap space, and I don't really see why we wouldn't get a contract for big Mo if we can. Unless you expect him to get hurt or regress, his cap number is only going to go up the longer you wait to extend him.

Don't want any part of Finley, but I love James Jones. He'd bring a much-needed veteran presence to our WR corp, and a big body like that would really help us in the red zone.

Surprised you think Storm and Seastrunk will drop that far, but I love Storm. Maybe because when he runs he reminds me of Boobie Miles haha. I would sign off on most of that draft though, except drafting 3 RBs would be quite excessive.

Also, free agency is going to be big for us on two fronts. One, of course, there's the impending free agents from both our team and guys we'll want to bring in. But on the other end, if Revis isn't let go before March 13, we get a 3rd round pick from the Bucs instead of a 4th. I wonder if they're allowed to just cut and then re-sign him, but that would be awfully sad if we didn't have some sort of language in the contract preventing that. For my money, he was still the best corner in the league last year, so I don't really know why they would give up on him when things are starting to look up for them, but it's very possible.
I really never understood this line of thinking from fans. Why on earth would you just want an extra whatever million in Woody's pocket? It's not like cap space rolls over into following years. The team doesn't really have anyone tied up long term either.

In fact, I just looked up their 2015 cap situation on overthecap. Once they cut Sanchez, they'll actually have a whopping 67M in cap room for 2015 (right now). And they aren't even allowed to extend Richardson next offseason either. Wilkerson's cap number will take a healthy 8-10M chunk out of that, but other than that there's literally no reason to keep cap space this year and wait for next year. They'll have more than enough room to go after FAs next year.

That makes re-structuring/extending Cro actually look like a smarter move than releasing him this year to save 9M.

Last edited by gpngc : 02-27-2014 at 12:48 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:51 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I really never understood this line of thinking from fans. Why on earth would you just want an extra whatever million in Woody's pocket? It's not like cap space rolls over into following years. The team doesn't really have anyone tied up long term either.

And RBs like those two ALWAYS fall.
You think so? I would be surprised if Seastrunk goes that low in relation to Archer. Storm I could see not even getting drafted.

As for the cap issue, I just think it's very shortsighted thinking. It sounds more like you just want to spend to spend. Tying yourself to contracts, overpaying for players simply because we have the cap space, seems to be in line with Tannenbaum's thinking. If the talent isn't there, why waste the money? There will, at some point, be talented free agents to spend on, or disgruntled players/players not fitting in a scheme that need to be traded, and at that point we can effectively use the cap space to build our team. I'm not advocating having a bunch of cap space simply so we can make those lists of "Teams with the most cap space" every year, but instead to plan ahead for future moves rather than just thinking short-term. Thinking in the short-term is what got us into the mess we're currently trying to get out of in the first place.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:58 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post

In fact, I just looked up their 2015 cap situation on overthecap. Once they cut Sanchez, they'll actually have a whopping 67M in cap room for 2015 (right now). And they aren't even allowed to extend Richardson next offseason either. Wilkerson's cap number will take a healthy 8-10M chunk out of that, but other than that there's literally no reason to keep cap space this year and wait for next year. They'll have more than enough room to go after FAs next year.

That makes re-structuring/extending Cro actually look like a smarter move than releasing him this year to save 9M.
Because the Jets have been handcuffed by bad contracts plenty of times over the last twenty years and sometimes keeping your options open is the best option.

As far as what you said earlier, saying "we should trust the doctor" brought a flood of bad memories for me. So I'll just say this. Not on a bet.

And drafting regardless of position, I can understand wanting to upgrade a position, but when you reach a point where you're drafting people who almost by definition have no shot at making the team, you're wasting a pick, even if it's BPA.