Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 03-11-2014, 10:59 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I feel like most of Jets Nation are beer folk and Idzik is a cheese and wine guy lol. Just need to slooooooow down.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:22 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
I feel like most of Jets Nation are beer folk and Idzik is a cheese and wine guy lol. Just need to slooooooow down.

I have a somewhat antithetical analogy. I feel more like the GM is asleep at the wheel. (Making the mistake of...) Reading some other Jets forums, I feel like everyone else in the car is saying 'don't worry, he'll wake up eventually'.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:25 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

While I think it's very possible he hasn't handled FA well thus far (maybe lacks the experience to deal with agents), he's going to do stuff. He simply has to.

First is going to be Giacomini.
gpngc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:28 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm sure Idzik knows more than we do. Seems like that entire $50 million in cap space won't get used, maybe some gets rolled over to next year and a couple of extensions get frontloaded.

It won't be that hard to reach the minimum salary threshold. Between the draft class, a veteran QB, a mediocre WR, a right tackle, a starting caliber corner, and some random fodder at other positions (RB, FS, TE, G) they'll get there pretty easily. Would have been nice to see some substantial upgrades, but maybe down the road we'll be happy we didn't blow money on guys. All those reasonable contracts at positions of need stung. Lack of stability in the HC may not help.

Looks like Howard is gone. How's Giacomini, gpngc?
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:30 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's OK. Cut down on penalties after being the worst starter on the team in 2012. He's huge. Had a solid year. Nothing spectacular.

I know how I say I don't care about money, but if he gets a big deal that might be a sign to me that Idzik is in over his head.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:35 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sounds like Howard, only without the continuity on the line that bringing him back would have resulted in. Will be interesting to see how the contracts of Howard and whoever the Jets sign compare.

That deal for Howard wasn't all that bad - 5 years, $30 million, $15 guaranteed. More that he's worth, but the Jets aren't exactly up against the cap here.

Almost reminds me of an auction fantasy football draft where Idzik's got everybody valued a couple dollars less than they're going at and he's stubbornly sticking to his dollar amounts. Only he'll just be left with a bunch of mediocre players at the end.

Maybe Idzik signs Revis, Decker (I frankly don't care if they overpay at this point, where else is the money going), a right tackle, and another wideout tomorrow and my complaints today seem silly. Somehow I doubt it's going to be that exciting.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:38 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

That's a huge deal for Howard! Giacomini's won't be that huge.

After all the talk about money, here I am being the frugal one.

If Idzik signs DRC, Clemons, a WR, a RB, and a QB, he'd have done fine in my eyes.

Problem is that there's not much room for error - especially at safety with Clemons.

Kerry Rhodes? lol
Old 03-11-2014, 11:43 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Honestly, if Idzik believes in their drafting ability, we'll just about never see us overpay for the big time FAs, and we probably won't retain a lot of guys that aren't committed to the team (word is our offer to Howard wasn't "too far off" what the Raiders gave). And if he believes in their drafting ability, there really won't be much of a concern about acquiring most FAs.

And seriously, Giacomini is probably an insurance policy if we do get him. We do need a considerable amount of depth. I'm sure there will be many more OL added before FA and the draft is over.

Now I REALLY can't wait for the draft (which, by the way, now I'm a little more serious about heading to... once I can get approval from the boss).
Old 03-11-2014, 11:45 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Idzik won't be here by the time he's even allowed to give draft picks extensions... unless he improves the team right now.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:22 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Honestly, if Idzik believes in their drafting ability, we'll just about never see us overpay for the big time FAs, and we probably won't retain a lot of guys that aren't committed to the team (word is our offer to Howard wasn't "too far off" what the Raiders gave). And if he believes in their drafting ability, there really won't be much of a concern about acquiring most FAs.

And seriously, Giacomini is probably an insurance policy if we do get him. We do need a considerable amount of depth. I'm sure there will be many more OL added before FA and the draft is over.

Now I REALLY can't wait for the draft (which, by the way, now I'm a little more serious about heading to... once I can get approval from the boss).
I understand the sentiment of not wanting to overpay for people. I was the one championing it when gpngc was talking about how the Jets need to overpay for everybody. But even I recognize there is a line. When you sign nobody, let all of your free agents walk except for the kicker and generally speaking, have a worse team then you started with despite being 25 million dollars under the salary floor, you have crossed that line.

If you think the Jets should build through the draft, that's fine. But no team builds entirely through the draft, letting everyone walk when their cheaper contracts are up. That's untenable, and when you are in a situation clearly designed to build through free agency, I feel unconscionable is too strong a word for it, but it is rather bad.

Even the Ravens resigned Eugene Monroe.
Even the Saints improved their secondary.
Even the Seahawks resigned Michael Bennett.
Even the 49ers quickly replaced Donte Hitner.
Even the Broncos strengthened their defense and look to continue to do so.

The Jets on the other hand? Silence.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:25 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

It's funny how our attitudes have shifted.

You can't build through the draft if you don't draft well. The BEST way to spend money is to extend your own players after you hit on draft picks. But the Jets can't do that. They have literally ONE player that they can do that for - NEXT year.

So their horrible drafting has put them in position where they simply MUST "overpay" for multiple FA.

I think we are all overreacting to today's silence though. There are still moves to be made.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:13 AM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm getting real impatient. Just give me Decker and Revis and I'll be happy.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:33 AM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I know this is unrelated to free agency, but your comment just reminded me of something. Does anyone remember that stupid looking duded at the draft who pointed at his head to indicate how smart the team was. I think it was when Ferguson was picked. I don't know if he still does, but he used to run a wine tasting blog. He would describe flavors as tasting like strawberry bubble gum and other nonsense like that. I know that was apropos of nothing, I just found it funny when i discovered it at the time.

Also, beer is delicious.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:05 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039 View Post
I know this is unrelated to free agency, but your comment just reminded me of something. Does anyone remember that stupid looking duded at the draft who pointed at his head to indicate how smart the team was. I think it was when Ferguson was picked. I don't know if he still does, but he used to run a wine tasting blog. He would describe flavors as tasting like strawberry bubble gum and other nonsense like that. I know that was apropos of nothing, I just found it funny when i discovered it at the time.

Also, beer is delicious.
That's pretty funny haha.

Also, we're entertaining Decker right now. My fantasy football woes aside, I would welcome him with open arms, and as long as we pay him something reasonable compared to what the rest of the market is getting this year (honestly, if Howard commands 6 mil/year as a slightly above average RT, getting Decker for 8 is fine), I'm okay with it. Really much rather have him than Tate. If Decker can get past the drops on a crazy amount of easy passes, he's really the perfect fit for the WCO. But we'll see. Two other teams in the mix for him, and my only reasoning behind not wanting to overpay him would be that I would like to have someone that actually wants to play here.

On the related note brought up by a couple of you guys, I get that we have to pay for FAs and need to bring in guys to complete the puzzle, but what I've said all along is that I just don't want us paying big for the wrong people. Seems like some just want us to make noise to make noise. Some of these things really don't fit our team dynamic/offense/defense. If we don't get the right guys in FA, hopefully we'll find them in the draft.

Last edited by thetedginnshow : 03-12-2014 at 01:07 PM.
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:00 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
I'm getting real impatient. Just give me Decker and Revis and I'll be happy.

Agreed!

I thought having this much $$$ under the cap was going to be fun .......

Revis has officially been released. With Talib gone, New England is making me nervous.
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:02 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
Agreed!

I thought having this much $$$ under the cap was going to be fun .......

Revis has officially been released. With Talib gone, New England is making me nervous.
If Revis ends up in New England, that'll be the ultimate kick to the balls for any Jets fan.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-12-2014, 03:13 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

My predictions:

Vick 3/13M
Decker 5/40M
MJD 2/10M
Breno Giacomini 4/20M
DRC 5/45M
Old 03-12-2014, 03:22 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Until I see otherwise, I'm sticking with the prediction that the Jets are going to owe the NFL players association $10-15 million dollars for failing to reach the $118 million dollar (as far as I know) salary floor.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:06 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

We brought back Douzable on a 1 year deal.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-12-2014, 07:10 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
If Revis ends up in New England, that'll be the ultimate kick to the balls for any Jets fan.

Sooooo..... [A member of free agent Darrelle Revis' camp predicts to the New York Daily News that Revis signing with the Patriots is "going to happen."]

I get that it is only day 2. But if this happens, it's going to be tough to "feel good" about this free agency period. Regardless of what we sign. Not because we missed out on Revis, but because it's NE. Although, signing Decker would help. Which is crazy, because two days ago, I wasn't crazy about the Jets giving #1 money to someone like Decker. With what's unfolded, I'm now praying for it.

I wish I knew if Idzik is swinging and missing with these FA's, or if this is going as he's planned. I'm guessing the types of contracts we see given out in (hopefully) the near future will give us some insight. If we start to overpay for lower tier FA's, I guess I have my answer.

Jones/Decker/Vick/MJD = "Feel good" again
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:26 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
Sooooo..... [A member of free agent Darrelle Revis' camp predicts to the New York Daily News that Revis signing with the Patriots is "going to happen."]

I get that it is only day 2. But if this happens, it's going to be tough to "feel good" about this free agency period. Regardless of what we sign. Not because we missed out on Revis, but because it's NE. Although, signing Decker would help. Which is crazy, because two days ago, I wasn't crazy about the Jets giving #1 money to someone like Decker. With what's unfolded, I'm now praying for it.

I wish I knew if Idzik is swinging and missing with these FA's, or if this is going as he's planned. I'm guessing the types of contracts we see given out in (hopefully) the near future will give us some insight. If we start to overpay for lower tier FA's, I guess I have my answer.

Jones/Decker/Vick/MJD = "Feel good" again

If Revis is a Patriot, there will be nothing that can make me 'feel good' about this offseason. I'd feel very good about another two year hiatus from watching football though.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:38 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
If Revis is a Patriot, there will be nothing that can make me 'feel good' about this offseason. I'd feel very good about another two year hiatus from watching football though.
It's rough. Won't be tough to root against it panning out for the him and the Pats though. Seems like he really wanted to stick it to the Jets.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:20 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

hahahahaha
Old 03-12-2014, 09:24 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Apparently we have some interest in trading for Sproles. Depending on what it'll cost us, I'm very interested in him. He brings us something on offense that we haven't seen in a long time.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-12-2014, 09:31 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Sproles doesn't make much sense to me. He's perfect for a precision-passing offense that throws short passes to the backs. He'd be a waste as a predictable screen-and-draw third-down back with Smith as the QB. And he's old.

As for Decker - how the **** isn't he signed yet?

And I read they would still go after James Jones even after signing Decker. They kind of have to.

Still holding out hope for DRC too but I haven't heard a peep.

I'm guessing they sign Knowshon or MJD though.