Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 03-13-2014, 06:16 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

LOL.. Chiefs just add to the mix for Pettigrew.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:23 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Giacomini contract has to be cheap since there is no details coming out.

Right?

Edit: 4 years per Mehta.

Last edited by YotoJets007 : 03-13-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:42 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Captain M signed with Vikings for measly 3 years 15m?
Old 03-14-2014, 05:33 AM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Not too happy with the offseason so far. Upset we didnt make a real push to bring Revis back and i really wanted Byrd to be a jet. Like the decker signing but we dont seem to be doing enough we really need a corner and I would like Browner or DRC so we better go after them. I also would love to see MJD a jet always liked him and we would be able to get him for a good price since he had a down year
GET LOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:53 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Derza,

Old 03-14-2014, 10:59 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GET LOOSE View Post
Not too happy with the offseason so far. Upset we didnt make a real push to bring Revis back and i really wanted Byrd to be a jet. Like the decker signing but we dont seem to be doing enough we really need a corner and I would like Browner or DRC so we better go after them. I also would love to see MJD a jet always liked him and we would be able to get him for a good price since he had a down year

Jets had no interest in him. You can call Jets stupid if they sign DRC for 12-14m. lol.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:59 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pettigrew? It's been a number of lucky guesses for me this offseason. I'm alright with him returning to Detroit at that figure.

Giacomini's deal was 4 years, $18 million. Not too bad, curious to see what the structure is when that comes out.

Last edited by derza222 : 03-14-2014 at 03:48 PM.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:56 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Giacomini is likely guaranteed for 2 years. 9m cash over first 2 years. Good Deal.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:28 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I get wanting Revis back, I would have been cool with him being brought back, especially as a means of him not going to the pats, but I don't see it making a lot of sense. I can't imagine Revis would have accepted any kind of reasonable longer term deal so it doesn't make sense to sign him for one year or even 2 unless you are a contender. Unless Geno becomes a hell of a lot better and the draft is perfect (multiple immediate starters) the Jets aren't likely to contend this year. They could have done what they did when they signed Faneca, Woody, Pace, etc all in one season as a short cut to hopefully buying a few year window of being a contender, but history dictates that isn't the way to win long term.

I hope they don't overpay for DRC or just go into the season with what they have, but overall I can't quibble with too many of the Jets moves. I might have gone for verner based on the price he got from the bucs, but otherwise, incremental moves in free agency seem to be the most prudent rather than trying to remake a team through big signings.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:31 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They HAVE to overpay for DRC. If DRC's agent knows football (?), he'd know he has all the leverage in the world.

The Jets cannot afford to spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on a CB and if they don't get DRC they are starting KYLE WILSON.

Just get it done. Then you've upgraded two positions during FA and still have plenty of cap room to rollover for next year and get bargain guys to fill out depth this year.

You have to get DRC though.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:43 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, I'm willing to overpay for DRC at this point. We're pretty desperate for a CB at this point. As gpngc alluded to, I'd rather not spend another high pick on a corner, and I'd be much more comfortable with Wilson as the nickel, rather than as a starter.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:48 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Still have 35.6M in cap room if they cut Sanchez.

Not sure why they made Decker's cap hit 4M this year...

I still think they add a FA RB and I'd be surprised if they didn't add another decent-to-good WR.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:50 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There is some interest around the league in Sanchez. That's why we haven't cut him yet. Probably gonna try to get a pick or 2 in return.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:12 PM    (permalink
Nebkreb
Rookie

Nebkreb is a cocksman.Nebkreb is a cocksman.Nebkreb is a cocksman.

With the cap space we have, would rather a front-loaded overpay for DRC then to have Kyle Wilson start. Add in another WR (James Jones?) and a backup (preferably not Vick, Shaun Hill is fine) and then go in to the draft. Draft we should target (in no particular order) a TE, a FS and a guard. Would not be surprised or unhappy if they brought back Colon on a one-year-deal just to keep the O-line intact and we can address guard long-term next year.

And based on the fact that Jacksonville got a 6th for Gabbert, I would think SOMEONE would take on Sanchez for a similar price. Maybe even Carroll in Seattle - has a good working relationship with Idzik, knows Sanchez from his USC days
Nebkreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:01 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It will be interesting to see if Idzik has let the market develop to scoop up a bargain or he has been too passive and let the market pass him by, forcing them to overpay DRC. While any agent will recognize that the Jets really need an experienced corner, there may not be much choice at this point with so many teams already upgrading their secondary.

I suppose the plan may be to sign another wr and a rb and draft another cb high. I don't really get that considering how inexperienced that would make the secondary, but its not completely unreasonable.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:05 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wilson only has to start if Rex is stubborn. Walls is the one that should be starting. Honestly, while I wouldn't mind DRC, I don't see how someone that said they'd retire if they won the SB a month earlier can really have that much leverage.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:38 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wholeheartedly agree that Walls is the starter over Wilson if they don't sign a starting caliber corner. They'd probably draft a guy to compete, but frankly a mid-late round pick could compete with Walls. Walls might win, but it wouldn't be ridiculous like having a mid-late round guy compete with DRC.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:30 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

According to PFF and others, Wilson is really good at covering the slot so I feel like it wouldn't make sense to move him anyhow. I just hope they don't go into the season with Millner, Walls, and Wilson as the top three guys. It really wouldn't inspire a ton of confidence especially with the obvious that the "NFL is a passing league." These days you need a ton of good coverage guys in the secondary.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:30 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Pace re-signed, surprised he got a second year. Like bringing him back though. Hope Idzik drafts an OLB this season to develop and eventually take over for Pace.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:09 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not looking like the Jets want to overpay DRC. Unreal if that's what happens.

Giants are bringing DRC in for a physical on Monday. First, Revis goes to rival NE. Second, we're about to lose out on DRC to the "Big Brother".

I get spending wisely, but the Jets have the money. We need more than Decker.
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:46 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Yea i really dont understand the jets plan here. It makes no sense letting all these people sign elsewhere when we have the money to spend. A corner is much needed our secondary has never looked so weak going into a season. Really wanna know what the FO is thinking here. Giants already signed thurman who i wouldnt have minded on the jets also
GET LOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:23 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it's odd that we don't want Idzik to be like Tannenbaum and get us caught in bad contracts to average players, yet we're unhappy in free agency when he doesn't overpay to bring in these mediocre FAs. DRC is not very good, even worse than Vontae. Why anyone should have to pay him 9 mil/year is beyond me. The man just said he was thinking about retiring! That would be a loss in my eyes if we brought him in. Seriously, guys. This isn't a one year league. We can make do with what we have and bring in the right corners at the right price at the right time.

...and on a related topic, we should really bring back Cro if we must get someone (though I'm fine with Walls starting), so long as it's reasonable. He's not the best in the world, but he knows the system, he surely has to be better next season, and, well, he wants to play here, which should count for something.

I've said it from the beginning, but no one would see it as such as necessity to have top-flight corners (or rather, everyone would look like a top-flight corner) if Rex could find a real pass-rushing OLB.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:56 AM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wanting Idzik to fill gaping holes in our defense has nothing to do with Tannenbaum. Every Jet fan gets the idea that overpaying for mediocre talent in FA can cripple you at some point. However, DRC does not suck. "DRC was Pro Football Focus' No. 5 corner in 2013." I think the retirement talk is overblown. Lots of emotions going on that late in a season on a championship run. DRC is 28 and I'm sure he's going to want another payday.
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:25 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Very unique circumstances got the Jets into cap trouble in 2011-2012. As long as you don't sign Santonio Holmes to a 5 year $45 million contract that pays him $3 million in year one, or sign your QB who you just actively tried to replace to a contract extension, or restructure 2 declining vets like Scott and Pace to save a few million while making it impossible to cut them next year, you'll be fine.

The Jets are sitting on a ton of cap room, and don't have this amazing pipeline of young talent to resign. They'll be fine if they overpay DRC a few million.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:41 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

My guess is that Idzik is supremely confident in his drafting ability and very much has a long-term vision instead of hoping to have a successful year this season. So he's only going to bring in players he thinks have a purpose towards that long-term goal and fit into his financial plan.

In a worst case scenario if he doesn't spend money, as long as he hits minimum spending (which he should easily) they can just roll over the cap room to when they'll need it to re-sign guys like Wilkerson and Richardson.

Not saying that it's right, but that's my interpretation. The Decker signing for example fits that criteria in that a) the money was about right for his ability level and b) as an organization that is obviously high on Geno Smith, they need to put capable pass catchers around him to appropriately determine whether or not he is a franchise quarterback.

Obviously it helps a team with an awful passing game, but it's pretty clear the Jets are in building mode and not win-now mode. This draft is going to be crucial. Also will be interesting to see if Ryan is able to get them to play over their heads again next season given two of the Jets' victories were basically gift wrapped last year and the schedule on paper at least is pretty tough next season.