Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 03-21-2014, 12:49 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's part of my frustration. I don't remember a free agent class pretty much ever with this many good, young-to-prime corners, or even safeties.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:50 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
I think you're also taking my points too seriously. I'm not outline what I think makes sense, this is my way of trying to get into Idzik's head via thinking out loud about why he's making the decisions he's made. So if it comes across like I'm trying to rationalize what he's done, that's exactly what I'm doing.

I am curious to see how significant having two stud CB's is for the defense. Even a replacement level corner probably won't be much worse than Cromartie was last year.

EDIT:
An interesting perspective I saw on another board. Perhaps Idzik isn't all that convinced that Ryan's going to be sticking around past this season and doesn't want to make a long-term commitment to players who fit in his scheme.

Idzik had grown up studying WCO and man power defense. Rex Ryan runs both as of now. That is definitely poor perspective. The team identity is the reason why Idzik hasn't been aggressively. Too many holes to fix so Idzik continues using draftees to fill out those holes plus future cap casualty players. Once Jets reduce a volume of problems to a minimal Idzik could use one or two big free agents in the final 2 years of 4 year cash projected floor.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:53 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Damn it. Raiders get Schaub. Vick being a Jet is more and more likely. ugh!
Old 03-21-2014, 06:49 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sanchez released, Vick signed. Purely from a football perspective it makes sense - familiarity with Mornhinweg's system, best FA QB on the market, supposedly took being a backup well last year.

Hopefully it doesn't turn the Jets into a circus. Obviously his issues in the past are there. He's not a slam dunk as a player either, but again from a football perspective he was the best QB they could have brought in this offseason so there's really no sense in nitpicking there.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:53 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He doesn't make anything a circus. Tony Sporano calling plays with the worst throwing QB in history made a circus.

MM is a smart coach.

I think there's a chance, however slim, that Vick has a terrific year/partial year. He's a damn good player when healthy, and this is a good damn situation for him. Power running game, good offensive line, good play caller he's had success with. They'll add a few new weapons. The Jets offense just got A LOT better.

But more likely he'll get injured in camp and they'll be stuck with Geno Smith.

Another angle to this signing - they likely won't hold him back. He'll be able to run and perhaps encouraged to pick his spots. He's not the future and he always gets hurt anyway. I bet he utilizes his legs a lot.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:59 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As much as I am a Jets fan, I cannot watch if and when he plays. I just find him too disgusting. I know its not consistent based on all the murderers, wife beaters, general assholes etc that play football, but I love dogs and just can't deal with him. I've read all sorts of stuff since he was released about how he paid his debt to society and has been a model teammate and citizen since then, but it doesn't matter to me. I can't separate him from years of widespread dog murder in my mind. If he is named the starter and plays all 16 games, I will be quite unhappy even if the team does well.

If nothing else it has given me reason to pull for Geno Smith really hard.

Last edited by josh07039 : 03-21-2014 at 07:03 PM.
josh07039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:06 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Jets disgust me. Vick a Jet? Jets are doomed
Old 03-21-2014, 07:07 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039 View Post
As much as I am a Jets fan, I cannot watch if and when he plays. I just find him too disgusting. I know its not consistent based on all the murderers, wife beaters, general assholes etc that play football, but I love dogs and just can't deal with him. I've read all sorts of stuff since he was released about how he paid his debt to society and has been a model teammate and citizen since then, but it doesn't matter to me. I can't separate him from years of widespread dog murder in my mind. If he is named the starter and plays all 16 games, I will be quite unhappy even if the team does well.

If nothing else it has given me reason to pull for Geno Smith really hard.

Rex Ryan has Geno Smith's support. I think.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:24 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone think this puts the Jets in the bidding for DeSean Jackson? Quite honesty, I think it would be worth it at this point. Probably a 3rd rounder would do it.
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:25 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
He doesn't make anything a circus. Tony Sporano calling plays with the worst throwing QB in history made a circus.

MM is a smart coach.

I think there's a chance, however slim, that Vick has a terrific year/partial year. He's a damn good player when healthy, and this is a good damn situation for him. Power running game, good offensive line, good play caller he's had success with. They'll add a few new weapons. The Jets offense just got A LOT better.

But more likely he'll get injured in camp and they'll be stuck with Geno Smith.

Another angle to this signing - they likely won't hold him back. He'll be able to run and perhaps encouraged to pick his spots. He's not the future and he always gets hurt anyway. I bet he utilizes his legs a lot.
Anything can happen with the New York media. I just hope things stay reasonably quiet on that end of things. He's certainly a substantial upgrade over Sanchez.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:49 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
Anyone think this puts the Jets in the bidding for DeSean Jackson? Quite honesty, I think it would be worth it at this point. Probably a 3rd rounder would do it.

Jets should make a trade for him no matter who is at helm. Geno Smith is first chosen starter, not Vick.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:21 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Im happy about the Vick signing even if he doesnt end up starting he'd be a good mentor to Geno. Also think it might help us pull in Desean since they were great friends and a 3rd for him is a steal we shouldnt even think twice about that
GET LOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:40 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Maybe going after DeSean Jackson isn't a good idea. Vick is signed for one season and Jackson has 3 years left on contract as he already whined about money. Forget him and focus on Jonathan Joseph.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:43 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotoJets007 View Post
Jets should make a trade for him no matter who is at helm. Geno Smith is first chosen starter, not Vick.

I don't agree. I think it will present itself as a competition at QB in the preseason. Vick will beat out Geno. Nothing wrong with Geno learning a little from the bench. Not many believed he was ready to step in to begin with when drafted.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:48 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Vick's candid comments about D-Jax makes me think they are making a play for him, but I kind of hope not. Really, my only basis for that is that he's soft and will essentially be on a one year deal since he already wants a new contract. I doubt DeSean has the power to derail the locker room. My other reasoning for not wanting him is that we can do better in the draft, but we'll see. A trade doesn't necessarily put us out of play for a WR early.

As for the Vick signing, I like it. Great to have competition at the position. Kind of hoping Geno makes big strides and makes the starting job his even before we get to pre-season, but we'll see. Certainly doesn't hurt to have Vick to fall back on.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:54 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
As for the Vick signing, I like it. Great to have competition at the position. Kind of hoping Geno makes big strides and makes the starting job his even before we get to pre-season, but we'll see. Certainly doesn't hurt to have Vick to fall back on.
Exactly. The Jets were highly criticized for never bringing in competition for Sanchez. Some will say that it stunted his motivation and growth. Glad to see that they are not willing to make that mistake again with Geno. If they go to camp and Geno outplays Vick, then good. Aside from the potential circus that could happen in the NY media, and all the stupid "dog" comments we're going to have to read, I like the Vick signing. And to clarify, I love my Australian Sheppard.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:58 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Given it sounds like D-Jax is on the way out, he's a one dimensional receiver, and a team that brings him in needs to be able to take on his $10M cap hit, and he isn't even happy with that contract, I don't think he's going to have a huge trade market. They should be able to get away with giving up less than a 3rd, and if they can't I'm not sure I'd mind passing. Obviously it'd be exciting if they can land him though.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:05 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Given it sounds like D-Jax is on the way out, he's a one dimensional receiver, and a team that brings him in needs to be able to take on his $10M cap hit, and he isn't even happy with that contract, I don't think he's going to have a huge trade market. They should be able to get away with giving up less than a 3rd, and if they can't I'm not sure I'd mind passing. Obviously it'd be exciting if they can land him though.

Salivating at the thought of Vick throwing to DeSean, Decker, 1st RD WR, Kerley, with the support of Ivory,Powell & Vick's legs. With the step up in the Eagles looking to trade DeSean, I think we'll have our answer sooner than later if this will happen.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:14 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Forget him and focus on Jonathan Joseph.
If the Texans cut him and Manning, there is no reason why we shouldn't go after them.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:57 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimD View Post
If the Texans cut him and Manning, there is no reason why we shouldn't go after them.
At least, it won't cost us 3-6th round pick.

Eagles are about to cut Jackson so you suggest Jets should not go after him?
Old 03-22-2014, 01:24 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

All that negative aside, I really do love Desean haha. As long as he's happy, things are cool, but I just wouldn't want some holdout situation. We should have the best intel now on him. I'm sure they will make a well informed decision. If we did find him, it would be kind of funny because we would be an OL and TE away from a perfectly balanced offense (power RB, pass catching RB, tall possession WR, quick slot WR, burner WR).

For what it's worth, DJax posted the vid of Vick throwing that bomb to him against the Skins. Doubt we trade a pick for him, but to combat NE getting Revis, I will say DJax made him look silly this past year, and he's the type of receiver to embarrass any of those big CBs that are en vogue now.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:22 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
At least, it won't cost us 3-6th round pick.

Eagles are about to cut Jackson so you suggest Jets should not go after him?
No, the Jets should definitely pursue DJax if the Eagles cut him. I wonder if we could get him for 8-10 mil
Old 03-22-2014, 08:45 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Geno's comments on the Vick signing were awesome. Hopefully he'll be as good on the field this season as he was with the media there.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:54 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Yeah, Geno's handled the media exceptionally well during his time with us. Very impressed. But then again, so did Sanchez. I'm hoping him and Vick really make the most of this conpetition to push Geno to new heights. Vick is a great mentor to young QBs.

One thing about bringing in DJax though is that it would put some pressure on Idzik to fill some apparent holes we have on the OL and defense during the draft, because the expectations for this team would [unfairly] rise quite high with all the big names.

Has anyone heard yet about why the Eagles want to trade DJax? I'm hoping this is like a Brandon Marshall situation where he just doesn't work with the coach/FO/situation, and not something that would be debilitating to wherever he goes. DJax certainly would at the very least mesh will with Rex's personality.

If we do acquire him, I would really like to see a pass rusher in the 1st.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:35 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post

Has anyone heard yet about why the Eagles want to trade DJax? I'm hoping this is like a Brandon Marshall situation where he just doesn't work with the coach/FO/situation, and not something that would be debilitating to wherever he goes. DJax certainly would at the very least mesh will with Rex's personality.

If we do acquire him, I would really like to see a pass rusher in the 1st.

1. Eagles' team cap makes it impossible for them to cover draft salary.

2. It is not uncommon for teams to get rid of players that are accountable for 10m+ cap salary.

3. Eagles apparently don't want to create new pro-rated bonus for 3 years.

Jets could rather to invest 1st round pick on Brandin Cook instead but I would love to send 4th round pick to Eagles for Jackson and draft FS in 1st.