Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 01-28-2007, 11:01 AM    (permalink
jetsfan3
All-Pro

jetsfan3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilma the Animal
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan3
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwback54milkman
So do you think Carriker is realistc?
He has to do bad on his workouts.
Yeah, unfortunately I think thats how it is now. And if he does bad on his workouts, chances are some of us will jump off his bandwagon anyway.
Yeah it's a lose-lose situation.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:03 AM    (permalink
nyjetsguy27
Rookie

nyjetsguy27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, unfortunately I think thats how it is now. And if he does bad on his workouts, chances are some of us will jump off his bandwagon anyway.
yah if he chokes in his workouts than hell be on the board at 25. i disagree though, if carriker has a horrible combine i would still take him in a heartbeat. its not about how fast you can run and how strong you are and how high you can jump, its about how you play in the game. he has already showed us hes a monster come game time, so i hope he trips in all his 40 attempts and bench presses 3 times, and we take him at #25

sig by JETS5128
nyjetsguy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:03 AM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
luckily the Jets don't give a crap what some of us think when it comes to making decisions.
josh07039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:15 AM    (permalink
nvot9
All-Pro

Location: And it's not even that big of a deal, something like 8% of kids do it.
nvot9 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

So if Carriker and Okoye are now looking like a no go, and no other D-Linemen worth our pick, what's it look like we're doing, at this point in time? I know a lot of people doubt it, but I'm really interested in using one of our second rounders to trade up for a guy like Okoye, or trading back, maybe even trading this years first for a first next year...

Jets will not take McFadden...
nvot9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:18 AM    (permalink
nyjetsguy27
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvot9
So if Carriker and Okoye are now looking like a no go, and no other D-Linemen worth our pick, what's it look like we're doing, at this point in time? I know a lot of people doubt it, but I'm really interested in using one of our second rounders to trade up for a guy like Okoye, or trading back, maybe even trading this years first for a first next year...
i dont like okoye in the 3-4, hes not a good fit at all. if the DL that everyone is dreaming about are all gone at 25, i can actually see us waiting until late in the 2nd round before going DL. kareem brown from miami is 6'5" 315 and could be our NT, he had a good senior bowl

sig by JETS5128
Old 01-28-2007, 12:37 PM    (permalink
shavedaeyebrow2
Pro Bowler

shavedaeyebrow2 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny4
2 rookies(I know BUSH, but he was more dangerous as a reciever than a runner) 3 past their prime(Jones,Dillon and Duece), a career backup(Rhodes) and a first round bust(Benson). You can find a rb. You need a playmaker.
javascript:emoticon('')
Sorry, bit late, but that may have been one of the dumbest posts I've read. Deuce and Jones aren't past their prime. Deuce is what, 27? Jones is IN his prime. He was never good and now he is playing tremendously. How can you call Cedric Benson a first round bust after a first season where he was holding out so he got off on a bad foot and after this season, where he was declared starter but got injured, so TJ started. After Benson's games in the playoffs, he is in no way a bust. The only right thing you said there was Dillon is out of his prime and Rhodes is a backup.

You say we need a playmaker? What do you call Leon Washington? That is all he is, a playmaker. Look at the Miami game. Leon isn't a guy you give the ball to every play and let him slowly get his yards, he is a guy that will give a HUGE play once ina while, off of a screen, dump pass, or a run once in a while.

Gamertag: KRAAAWG
shavedaeyebrow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:14 PM    (permalink
Newbs24
Rookie

Newbs24 is a cocksman.Newbs24 is a cocksman.Newbs24 is a cocksman.Newbs24 is a cocksman.

One thing we lacked last year was a big target in the red zone. If I was avail with our first 2nd rounder, would you consider taking Dwayne Bowe? I don't think I would because we have bigger holes to fill, just throwing it out there for speculation.

One guy I want is Jason Hill from Wazzu. I heard he was really impressive during the Senior Bowl practices.
Newbs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:15 PM    (permalink
Newbs24
Rookie

Newbs24 is a cocksman.Newbs24 is a cocksman.Newbs24 is a cocksman.Newbs24 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyjetsguy27
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvot9
i dont like okoye in the 3-4, hes not a good fit at all. if the DL that everyone is dreaming about are all gone at 25, i can actually see us waiting until late in the 2nd round before going DL. kareem brown from miami is 6'5" 315 and could be our NT, he had a good senior bowl
What if Okoye can play DE for us? And then we get Sands in FA.
Newbs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 04:04 PM    (permalink
shavedaeyebrow2
Pro Bowler

Heard some bad news on Lynch.

NFL | M. Lynch accused of sexual assault
Sat, 27 Jan 2007 20:26:41 -0800

KCBS reports California RB Marshawn Lynch has been accused of domestic violence and sexual assault from a former girlfriend. The Alameda County District Attorney is reviewing the woman's claims following an Oakland, Calif., police investigation. KCBS has confirmed the woman was granted a restraining order against Lynch Friday, Jan. 26. The woman alleges Lynch choked, slapped and sexually assaulted her in Oakland Dec. 13. She filed the civil complaint Dec. 19.

This may cause him to fall to us, but we may not take him because he is not the type of player we want. Doubt he even falls to us, but here...........

Old 01-28-2007, 04:08 PM    (permalink
shavedaeyebrow2
Pro Bowler

News on Michael Turner :D

Jets | Team showing interest in M. Turner?
Fri, 26 Jan 2007 18:32:08 -0800

Ralph Vacchiano, of the New York Daily News, reports the New York Jets have reportedly showed interest in San Diego Chargers RB Michael Turner, according to Chargers general manager A.J. Smith. Turner will be a restricted free agent in this upcoming offseason.

Old 01-28-2007, 04:19 PM    (permalink
Hutch13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shavedaeyebrow2
Quote:
2 rookies(I know BUSH, but he was more dangerous as a reciever than a runner) 3 past their prime(Jones,Dillon and Duece), a career backup(Rhodes) and a first round bust(Benson). You can find a rb. You need a playmaker.
Sorry, bit late, but that may have been one of the dumbest posts I've read. Deuce and Jones aren't past their prime. Deuce is what, 27? Jones is IN his prime. He was never good and now he is playing tremendously. How can you call Cedric Benson a first round bust after a first season where he was holding out so he got off on a bad foot and after this season, where he was declared starter but got injured, so TJ started. After Benson's games in the playoffs, he is in no way a bust. The only right thing you said there was Dillon is out of his prime and Rhodes is a backup.

You say we need a playmaker? What do you call Leon Washington? That is all he is, a playmaker. Look at the Miami game. Leon isn't a guy you give the ball to every play and let him slowly get his yards, he is a guy that will give a HUGE play once ina while, off of a screen, dump pass, or a run once in a while.
Yep. I'm dumb. Do you know what Jones has said recently to his brother? I have to make the best of this year because I have only 1 or 2 good ones left. Heard it out of his mouth on Sirius NFL.(Yep,sounds like a guy in his prime). By the way why was Jones on the trading block earlier this year? And Duece, have you seen his injury history? We are talking about RB. One of the reasons Bush was drafted as they didn't know what they were going to get out of Duece this year. Let me know who took any of these guys in the first round of their fantasy draft? The only guy in the second round of mine was Bush because everyone knew he would catch balls. Grow up before you throw stones at the big boys.
Once again PLAYMAKER.(You need more than one)
Hines Ward-Plmkr
WillieParker-playmaker
Santonio Holmes-Playmaker
That's just the steelers and they sucked this year. Let me know if you need more examples.
Tony Gonzales-playmaker
Larry Johnson-playmaker
Dante Hall-playmaker
KC .Yes, I am using examples of teams worse than ours to highlight the need. School's over.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:33 PM    (permalink
Zim3031
Pro Bowler

Zim3031 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yep. I'm dumb. Do you know what Jones has said recently to his brother? I have to make the best of this year because I have only 1 or 2 good ones left. Heard it out of his mouth on Sirius NFL.(Yep,sounds like a guy in his prime). By the way why was Jones on the trading block earlier this year? And Duece, have you seen his injury history? We are talking about RB. One of the reasons Bush was drafted as they didn't know what they were going to get out of Duece this year. Let me know who took any of these guys in the first round of their fantasy draft? The only guy in the second round of mine was Bush because everyone knew he would catch balls. Grow up before you throw stones at the big boys.
Hines Ward-Plmkr
WillieParker-playmaker
That's just the steelers and they sucked this year. Let me know if you need more examples.
Tony Gonzales-playmaker
Larry Johnson-playmaker
Dante Hall-playmaker
KC .Yes, I am using examples of teams worse than ours to highlight the need. School's over.
What the hell are you talking about? You say we need playmakers than point to teams that weren't any good this year and point out, basically, that we should follow the precedent of bad teams?

What we need at runningback is a Curtis Martin, a dependable workhorse that can get you the yards you need. We already have that speedy big play threat in Leon. Players like Kenny Irons, Tony Hunt, or Brian Leonard could all fill that role.
Zim3031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 05:02 PM    (permalink
shavedaeyebrow2
Pro Bowler

You do realize the "Prime" of a person's career is when they are playing the best they've played. Let's look at TJ's career so far......

2000- 112 Attempts--373 Yards--2 Touchdowns
2001- 112 Attempts--280 Yards--5 Touchdowns
2002- 138 Attempts--511 Yards--2 Touchdowns
2003- 137 Attempts--627 Yards--3 Touchdowns
2004- 240 Attempts--948 Yards--7 Touchdowns
2005- 314 Attempts--1335 Yards--9 Touchdowns
2006- 296 Attempts--1210 Yards--6 Touchdowns

That is his prime of his career. His TDs went down because he is splitting carries with "The Bust" Cedric Benson. His stats (without starting ONE game)...

2006- 157 Attempts--647 Yards--6 Touchdowns

Give him a full-time job and he'd easily break 1,000. You are right, no one took Jones in the first round, but many runningbacks weren't taken in the 1st round.

As for Deuce (at least spell his name right), I'll admit he isn't what used to be, but he is still a young runningback who is a top 10 runningback in the league. Deuce is only on the decline because they have Bush so he will probably never recreate his old numbers. Just because he had surgery does not mean he is done (I can't believe a Jets fan is saying that an injured player can't be what he used to be).

Now onto your playmakers theory. You say Parker, Ward, and Holmes. We have Miller, Cotchery (who was a huge playmaker this year), Coles, Washington, Brad Smith.

Old 01-28-2007, 05:52 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim3031
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hines Ward-Plmkr
WillieParker-playmaker
Tony Gonzales-playmaker
Larry Johnson-playmaker
Dante Hall-playmaker
What the hell are you talking about? You say we need playmakers than point to teams that weren't any good this year and point out, basically, that we should follow the precedent of bad teams?

What we need at runningback is a Curtis Martin, a dependable workhorse that can get you the yards you need. We already have that speedy big play threat in Leon. Players like Kenny Irons, Tony Hunt, or Brian Leonard could all fill that role.
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm thinking. Dunno how much of a workhorse Irons is, but along those lines is the direction we need to go in.

And to answer previous posts, Okoye is probably a little short for 3-4 DE and would be gone by the time we pick. It doesn't make any sense to trade up for a guy that is a so-so fit for our scheme. And he's probably going to end up going top 10 so we'd have to trade too much to get him.
Bowe will probably be gone before our first rounder let alone our second, but if he's available in the second I wouldn't have a problem with the pick.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:17 PM    (permalink
jetsfan3
All-Pro

Quote:

Ralph Vacchiano, of the New York Daily News, reports the New York Jets have reportedly showed interest in San Diego Chargers RB Michael Turner, according to Chargers general manager A.J. Smith. Turner will be a restricted free agent in this upcoming offseason.
What would we have to give up for him.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:23 PM    (permalink
shavedaeyebrow2
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Quote:

Probably our late 2nd is the most we'd give for him.

Old 01-28-2007, 07:38 PM    (permalink
jetsfan3
All-Pro

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'd say if Leonard, Hunt, and Irons are off the board, I might like that trade. Would we trade before the draft or when we are on the clock with that pick?
Old 01-28-2007, 07:45 PM    (permalink
shavedaeyebrow2
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'd say if Leonard, Hunt, and Irons are off the board, I might like that trade. Would we trade before the draft or when we are on the clock with that pick?
No clue, depends how confident we are in Turner. If we are really interested in him, we'd do it before the draft. If we are semi-interested, we'll wait until our pick in the draft to decide.

Old 01-28-2007, 07:46 PM    (permalink
FlutiesDropKick
Pro Bowler

FlutiesDropKick hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.FlutiesDropKick hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

if all those backs are gone and we try to trade the Chargers will know we're handcuffed so they'll ask for alot more. Becasue of that we would HAVE to do the trade before the draft.

Sig thanks to VLS

My BC Iggles. (13-4)
FlutiesDropKick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:07 AM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

hcbrad08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Projections for senior bowl players (Not mine: from uncle Mel)
Relevant to Jets ONLY! (sorry its so long I didn't realize how many were relevant) If its bold i like them for the jetd. If its italics is unrealistic for where we pick.

RB Brian Leonard 6-1 224 Rutgers
Jack-of-all-trades player. Runs, catches, blocks. (Round 2)

RB Tony Hunt 6-2 239 Penn State
Gliding, patient runner. Good blocker. Not explosive. (Round 3 or 4)

DB Tanard Jackson 6-0 192 Syracuse
Physical, tough, athletic. Average cover skills. (Round 2)

DE Jay Moore 6-5 275 Nebraska
Good quickness. Explosive first step. Works hard. (Round 2 or 3)

WR Paul Williams 6-2 210 Fresno State
Has size, natural receiving skills. Underrated. (late-Day 1 to early-Day 2)

DB Josh Wilson 5-9 188 Maryland
Fast and athletic. Great recovery ablility. Return skills. (Round 3 or 4)

DB Daymeion Hughes 5-10 192 California
Great anticipation, hands, instincts. Speed question. (late-Round 1)

DE/LB Anthony Spencer 6-2 266 Purdue
Great natural pass-rush ablility. (late-Round 1 to mid-Round 2)

OL Manuel Ramirez 6-3 335 Texas Tech
Wide body. Takes up space. Lacks quickness. (early- to mid-Day 2)

OL Levi Brown 6-5 323 Penn State
Has all the physical tools. Hard worker. Good intangibles. (mid-Round 1)

OL Josh Beekman 6-2 315 Boston College
Versatile. Plays center or guard Tough. Solid and reliable. (Round 3)

OL Samson Satele 6-2 294 Hawaii
Excellent player. Versatile. Tough. Strong. Works hard. (Round 2)

DL Amobi Okoye 6-2 287 Louisville
Awesome quickness, spin move. Enormous ability. (mid-Round 1)

DE Adam Carriker 6-6 292 Nebraska
Versatile. Long arms. Big frame. Uses hands well. (mid-Round 1)

DE Victor Abiamiri 6-4 271 Notre Dame
Solid, tough, reliable. Good technique. Not flashy. (Round 2)

LB Buster Davis 5-9 244 Florida State
Very productive. Small, but rock solid. Great run defender. (late-Day 1)

DB Brandon Meriweather 5-11 192 Miami
Adequate coverage skills. Versatile. Can be force in box. (Round 3 or 4)

RB Kenny Irons 5-11 198 Auburn
Not big but solid back. Injury issues. (Round 2)

DB Jonathan Wade 5-10 192 Tennessee
Athletic. Good size. Not real instinctive in coverage. (Round 3 to Round 5)

DB Aaron Ross 6-0 192 Texas
Tough. Instinctive. Great tackler in run support. (mid- to late-Round 1)

OL Mansfield Wrotto 6-3 316 Georgia Tech
Former DL. Needs technique work. Raw. (Day 2)

OL Dustin Fry 6-2 326 Clemson
Overachiever. Works hard. Big frame. (mid- to late-Day 2)

OL Justin Blalock 6-3 331 Texas
Smart. Battle tested. Versatile. A guard, but can play tackle. (Round 2)

OL Tony Ugoh 6-5 301 Arkansas
Phenomenal athlete. Raw technically. (late-Round 1 to mid-Round 2)

OL Ben Grubbs 6-3 315 Auburn
Athletic. Great at pulling and trapping. (late-Round 1 or early-Round 2)

DL Tank Tyler 6-2 323 NC State
Great production. Needs technique work. (late-Round 1 to Round 2)

OL Tim Duckworth 6-3 304 Auburn
Lots of ability as guard. Good size. Athletic. Good run blocker. (Round 3)

OL Arron Sears 6-3 317 Tennessee
Versatile. Good strength, feet, technique. (late-Round 1 or early-Round 2)

LB Tony Taylor 6-1 237 Georgia
Tackling machine. Can he transition to NFL? (Day 2)

WR Dwayne Bowe 6-2 222 LSU
Big. Competitive. Size and speed. Athletic. (mid-Round 1)

DL Antonio Johnson 6-3 305 Mississippi State
Has skills, but not super productive. Has gained quickness. (Day 2)

TE Joe Newton 6-7 249 Oregon State
Big target. Good hands. Decent blocker. (Round 3)

DE Quentin Moses 6-5 249 Georgia
Good edge rusher. Could play on feet in 3-4. Needs strength. (Round 2)

DE Ray McDonald 6-3 282 Florida
Durability issues. Can play end or tackle. (Round 3 or 4)

DL Kareem Brown 6-4 303 Miami
Underachiever. Has ability. (mid- to late-Day 2)

Forget Free Agency right now and with these projections lets try and mock something up and see if we can fill the gaps...also this doesnt even touch juniors. so if you want throw them in. I personally think these projections promote a trade down out of the 1st but whatever let me know.

Exactly Why The Jets are the Coolest Team in the NFL:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html
hcbrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:31 AM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

hcbrad08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Here's my Jets mock...
I think it helps every area and they're good players in general

1) Aaron Ross- CB
2a) Justin Blalock- OL
2b) Jay Moore- DL
3) Tony Hunt- RB
4) Paul Williams- WR
5) Tony Taylor- LB
6) Antonio Johnson- DL
7) Dutin Fry- OL

Exactly Why The Jets are the Coolest Team in the NFL:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html
hcbrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:25 AM    (permalink
Hutch13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim3031
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hines Ward-Plmkr
WillieParker-playmaker
Tony Gonzales-playmaker
Larry Johnson-playmaker
Dante Hall-playmaker

If you go back to my original post. That is exactly what I said. I even mentioned Curtis. My point was a playmaker(imo) is a person you have to deal with every time the are on the field. Not jus a specialist.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:34 AM    (permalink
Hutch13

Quote:
You do realize the "Prime" of a person's career is when they are playing the best they've played. Let's look at TJ's career so far......

That is his prime of his career. His TDs went down because he is splitting carries with "The Bust" Cedric Benson. His stats (without starting ONE game)...

Give him a full-time job and he'd easily break 1,000. You are right, no one took Jones in the first round, but many runningbacks weren't taken in the 1st round.

As for Deuce (at least spell his name right), I'll admit he isn't what used to be, but he is still a young runningback who is a top 10 runningback in the league. Deuce is only on the decline because they have Bush so he will probably never recreate his old numbers. Just because he had surgery does not mean he is done (I can't believe a Jets fan is saying that an injured player can't be what he used to be).

Now onto your playmakers theory. You say Parker, Ward, and Holmes. We have Miller, Cotchery (who was a huge playmaker this year), Coles, Washington, Brad Smith.
What we have are specialists. Out of the Jet players you just mentioned, only Cotchery was on the field 80-85% of the time this season. I don't know about you, but every fantasy league I've ever been in, the Franchise players go first, then there is a run on RB's that are left over. I think I made my point. Nobody thought TJ was going to have this good of a season. Anyone who thinks Bears fans aren't dissappionted in CB so far are nuts. Take a trip over to there message board during the season.My point
Old 01-29-2007, 06:39 AM    (permalink
FlutiesDropKick
Pro Bowler

FlutiesDropKick hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.FlutiesDropKick hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Quote:

What we have are specialists. Out of the Jet players you just mentioned, only Cotchery was on the field 80-85% of the time this season. I don't know about you, but every fantasy league I've ever been in, the Franchise players go first, then there is a run on RB's that are left over. I think I made my point. Nobody thought TJ was going to have this good of a season. Anyone who thinks Bears fans aren't dissappionted in CB so far are nuts. Take a trip over to there message board during the season.My point
bolded for loss of credibility

Sig thanks to VLS

My BC Iggles. (13-4)
FlutiesDropKick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:50 AM    (permalink
nyjetsguy27
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedevil$
One thing we lacked last year was a big target in the red zone. If I was avail with our first 2nd rounder, would you consider taking Dwayne Bowe? I don't think I would because we have bigger holes to fill, just throwing it out there for speculation.

One guy I want is Jason Hill from Wazzu. I heard he was really impressive during the Senior Bowl practices.
first off, dwayne bowe is gonna be a 2nd rounder, and i dont want to waste such a high pick on a guy that had such a bad senior bowl week. also, ive been talking about jason hill for the past month, before the senior bowl even began. he has great hands, runs great routes, a bigtime team player (realllllllllllly nice guy), and is a great run blocker.

sig by JETS5128