Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 02-03-2007, 05:00 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny4
Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyjetsguy27
Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222
How would you guys feel if we went Daymeion Hughes and Ben Grubbs with our first 2 picks, in either order? Just hypothetically.
im not high on hughes at all. i think there are better CBs that we can get even later in the draft. i like grubbs, but i think that OG is the least important position on the OL, and we can draft other more needed positions. i do think grubbs is good though
Any particular reason you don't like Hughes? Zone guy, decent fit for our system, we'll see how he runs. More I think about it, we might pick up Manuel Ramirez at some point, he seems like he'd be a good fit for the team.
I liked Ramirez. He was a pitbull in practice but something tells me he will have some character issues. I hope not, though. He would be a beast in B. Moore's spot.
Scott's scouting report says he's a team leader so it seems like if anything his character will help him in our case. I really see us picking him up because he's a fit and has good character. Keep in mind, we don't usually just not go for guys with bad character, but we focus on guys with good character. Ramirez has good character and is a good fit, I could see us picking him up. I'd be ecstatic if he was there in the third.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:25 PM    (permalink
gdamac
Veteran

gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El$anDollah
Just a question, what is Eric Barton's trade value and what FA do you guys think we will look into? And NOT the high price guys.
Barton could probably get you a bag a balls and some chewed gum. Not really a fan of his. Does stupid stuff on the field at bad times. San Diego in the playoffs ( I refuse to forgive) and others. Doesn't use his head.

gdamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:07 PM    (permalink
jetsfan3
All-Pro

jetsfan3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMD
Quote:
Just a question, what is Eric Barton's trade value and what FA do you guys think we will look into? And NOT the high price guys.
Barton could probably get you a bag a balls and some chewed gum. Not really a fan of his. Does stupid stuff on the field at bad times. San Diego in the playoffs ( I refuse to forgive) and others. Doesn't use his head.
He certainly used his head in the 2004 NFL divisional playoffs.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:04 PM    (permalink
gdamac
Veteran

gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.

Above we see humor used in the form of a pun.

Old 02-04-2007, 04:43 AM    (permalink
Hutch13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMD
Quote:
I like Barton. He is probably one of the hardest hitters in the league. You always hear the pads pop when he nails someone. It was an element that this D was missing for a while. They missed him when he was hurt 2 seasons ago.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:34 AM    (permalink
Vilma the Animal
Veteran

Vilma the Animal hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwback54milkman
Quote:
I think we might be able to move him, depending on his contract- probably for a 2nd day pick- I would like to get rid of him to make way for a better MLB compliment to Vilma (Chatham, Kassell, Schlegel????)
I really love David Harris for us if we traded Barton. He seems like the PERFECT complement to Vilma. Basically a much better version of Schlegel in my mind, he is a tackling machine and a beast against the run. Also, big enough to take up some of Vilma's blockers and allow him to do what he does better.

P.S. Another interesting to think of is whether we would take Patrick Willis or not. If all top CBs, 3-4 DL, and HBs are gone with our first pick, he may be the BPA and could definately help us a ton IMO, although he definately wouldn't be filling out top need.

DChess...youre the man!
Vilma the Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:51 AM    (permalink
nyjetsguy27
Rookie

nyjetsguy27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMD
Quote:
I like Barton. He is probably one of the hardest hitters in the league. You always hear the pads pop when he nails someone. It was an element that this D was missing for a while. They missed him when he was hurt 2 seasons ago.
its not about how hard you can hit the guy. ive watched countless games this year where i didnt hear his name called once, and when it was called it was "barton misses a tackle... or barton 15 yard penalty" i hate eric barton. hobson and vilma are both great, thomas is good, but barton is bad, maybe decent if im feeling generous

sig by JETS5128
nyjetsguy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 11:14 AM    (permalink
Jonathan_VIlma
Pro Bowler

Jonathan_VIlma hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMD
Quote:
its not about how hard you can hit the guy. ive watched countless games this year where i didnt hear his name called once, and when it was called it was "barton misses a tackle... or barton 15 yard penalty" i hate eric barton. hobson and vilma are both great, thomas is good, but barton is bad, maybe decent if im feeling generous
You're crazy if you think Bryan Thomas and Victor Hobson are better then barton. Barton was our defense the first five games of the year, and albeit not good, he proved that he can adapt very well. He's primarily the reason that holes opened up during the blitz, because he comes in with such a force against offensive lineman that it forces them to double team him up the middle.

I don't think he'll be around wrong though, because he's dirty, and very physical which leads to penalties. Mangini preaches the smart player aspect, and sometimes I really think Barton's physical presence takes over the way he plays in that he gets late hits.

Designs by Thule
Jonathan_VIlma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 11:15 AM    (permalink
jetsfan3
All-Pro

Who is David Harris, tell me about him.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:19 AM    (permalink
El$anDollah
Rookie

El$anDollah hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If we got rid of Barton, would we go after Tully Banta-Cain or would we give Kassel/Chatham/Shleguel a chance?
El$anDollah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 11:26 AM    (permalink
FlutiesDropKick
Pro Bowler

FlutiesDropKick hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.FlutiesDropKick hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
If we got rid of Barton, would we go after Tully Banta-Cain or would we give Kassel/Chatham/Shleguel a chance?
]

Banta-Cain is not an ILB

Sig thanks to VLS

My BC Iggles. (13-4)
FlutiesDropKick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 11:34 AM    (permalink
El$anDollah
Rookie

Sorry about that but I think the Jets might be looking into him
Old 02-04-2007, 11:39 AM    (permalink
FlutiesDropKick
Pro Bowler

FlutiesDropKick hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.FlutiesDropKick hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Sorry about that but I think the Jets might be looking into him
i mean we could move hobson inside but i think that would only be if we frabbed a top rusher in the first few picks ofthe draft

Sig thanks to VLS

My BC Iggles. (13-4)
Old 02-04-2007, 11:51 AM    (permalink
El$anDollah
Rookie

We could possibly get Quentin Moses but he looks more like LB to me.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:23 PM    (permalink
nyjetsguy27
Rookie

nyjetsguy27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
yah moses is def an OLB, but i dont no theres something about him that i dont like... i dont think hes gonna be anything special

sig by JETS5128
nyjetsguy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 02:31 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

hcbrad08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Barton had a great season and didn't have a legit personal foul all season. The only one called on him was a bullsh!t roughing the passer in jacksonville and vilma had another in that game too so are you gonna say vilma who had almost 5 less sacks than barton should be gone too NOOOO. Name one time when we've said he lost us the game this year (in san diego 2 YEARS AGO & we WON so get over it) Barton had 100 tackles this season and adapted better to the 3-4 than any of the LBs except for Thomas who was bred to play olb in a 3-4. The Jets are built on chemistry and hardwork: Barton was a great team player and when did Mangini once say he was a trouble to the team? (he let the media know when some did ie McCareins.) Leave it alone...you;ll say he;s decent when your feeling generous, that's a little much.He's a good LB and vilma LOVES him inside with him look what happens when Kassel and Chatham are in there (pats playoffs game) If Barton was a problem we would know and it wouldn't even be close to our top 5 priorites, but hes not and just because he had a quiet year doesn't mean he had a bad year. Let this issue die .

SCOUTS INC Says...
Barton is a veteran who has good size, functional speed and instincts. He is tough and competitive. He reads blocking patterns well and has good reactionary quickness. He uses his hands fairly well to ward off blocks and find the ball. He can avoid, get over trash and cover a lot of ground laterally. He is an effective all-around tackler. He can open up his hips and move well enough in coverage. He has good awareness and gets good depth on his drops in zones. He works to reroute underneath routes. He has good anticipation and timing on the blitz.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
sounds like a mangini guy

Exactly Why The Jets are the Coolest Team in the NFL:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html
hcbrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 07:14 PM    (permalink
shavedaeyebrow2
Pro Bowler

shavedaeyebrow2 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilma the Animal
Quote:
Quote:
I think we might be able to move him, depending on his contract- probably for a 2nd day pick- I would like to get rid of him to make way for a better MLB compliment to Vilma (Chatham, Kassell, Schlegel????)
I really love David Harris for us if we traded Barton. He seems like the PERFECT complement to Vilma. Basically a much better version of Schlegel in my mind, he is a tackling machine and a beast against the run. Also, big enough to take up some of Vilma's blockers and allow him to do what he does better.

P.S. Another interesting to think of is whether we would take Patrick Willis or not. If all top CBs, 3-4 DL, and HBs are gone with our first pick, he may be the BPA and could definately help us a ton IMO, although he definately wouldn't be filling out top need.
As much as I like Eric Barton, I think we would have to. Patrick Willis is just amazing. Imagine having two amazing ILBs, it would just take us to another level. Then we could still keep Eric Barton and we could possibly start him over Victor Hobson.

For now, this is just a what if question, so we may never know.

Gamertag: KRAAAWG
shavedaeyebrow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:08 PM    (permalink
FlutiesDropKick
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Quote:
yah moses is def an OLB, but i dont no theres something about him that i dont like... i dont think hes gonna be anything special
sorry Rao but right now in my in progress mock he is our first rounder. I didn't want him that much but the way the board fell everyone i wanted for the Jets (except Blalock, but i'm not to happy with him anymore) was already gone

Sig thanks to VLS

My BC Iggles. (13-4)
Old 02-05-2007, 08:20 AM    (permalink
gdamac
Veteran

Jets first round pick will be a crazy one, I guarentee it.

Brent Pousson from McNeese State, write it down

Old 02-05-2007, 04:41 PM    (permalink
Jonathan_VIlma
Pro Bowler

Jonathan_VIlma hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMD
Jets first round pick will be a crazy one, I guarentee it.

Brent Pousson from McNeese State, write it down
Another small undersized soft tackle? Suuure. :roll:

Designs by Thule
Jonathan_VIlma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:47 PM    (permalink
Cavalier17
Rookie

Cavalier17 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'm not necessarily a NYJ fan but I live in NJ and I saw some games this year, and I thought Barton played well. I hate to say but, it at times, Vilma would get lost and I would forget he was even playing. Vilma is definately a 43 MLB. I think he will improve in the 34 but he won't be as dominant. Overall, I like Vilma, but I thought Barton player better at times.
Cavalier17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 05:35 PM    (permalink
Vilma the Animal
Veteran

Vilma the Animal hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier17
I'm not necessarily a NYJ fan but I live in NJ and I saw some games this year, and I thought Barton played well. I hate to say but, it at times, Vilma would get lost and I would forget he was even playing. Vilma is definately a 43 MLB. I think he will improve in the 34 but he won't be as dominant. Overall, I like Vilma, but I thought Barton player better at times.
Vilma is not human, but Cavalier is right. THe 3-4 scheme fits Barton a lot better and Vilma was semi-inconsistant. However, since Vilma isn't human I'm confident that he will continue to progress in the 3-4 and return to his beastly form in the near future. (If not, then close to his beastly form.)

P.S. Don't confuse that with me saying Vilma is at all a liability, because a freak such as him never is and never will be a liability in any sense of the word.

DChess...youre the man!
Vilma the Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 05:43 PM    (permalink
jetsfan3
All-Pro

I remember someone fumbled and Vilma tried like 6 times to pick it up and he kept ********** up. It would have been a TD if he had hands, but instead he finally picked it up and got tackled.

Anyway, with a few good defensive draft picks and once Vilma does return to his beastliness, we will have a stud defense.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:05 PM    (permalink
throwback54milkman
Veteran

throwback54milkman needs more cowbell.

Vilma would be so amazing if we had a good NT.

^^Sig From Nvot9
J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!
throwback54milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:23 PM    (permalink
jetsfan3
All-Pro

Quote:
Vilma would be so amazing if we had a good NT.
Casey Hampton would do wonders for our squad.