Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 02-18-2007, 09:03 PM    (permalink
El$anDollah
Rookie

El$anDollah hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Nobody wants a TE 1st round. Defense is our first priority. I think WR early is not smart.
El$anDollah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:35 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El$anDollah
Nobody wants a TE 1st round. Defense is our first priority. I think WR early is not smart.
I think the point is that a TE would make much more of an impact than a WR in the first since they block and would still be a good red zone target. A tight end certainly would not be the worst thing in the world and I could see it happening but I'd rather go defensive line there if we can. I'm wondering if we fall in love with Alama-Francis and trade down into the second and take him, or even maybe take him with our pick in the first if he tests unbelievably well and we're afraid we'd miss out on him. (I'd obviously be a fan of the trade down more so than taking him there).
derza222 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:03 PM    (permalink
El$anDollah
Rookie

I think that Alama-Francis's stock will rise when the combine rolls around. If he really does run a 4.7 40 at 300+ pounds, I think he is a defenite consideration.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:37 PM    (permalink
C-Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222
Quote:
I think the point is that a TE would make much more of an impact than a WR in the first since they block and would still be a good red zone target. A tight end certainly would not be the worst thing in the world and I could see it happening but I'd rather go defensive line there if we can. I'm wondering if we fall in love with Alama-Francis and trade down into the second and take him, or even maybe take him with our pick in the first if he tests unbelievably well and we're afraid we'd miss out on him. (I'd obviously be a fan of the trade down more so than taking him there).
if..the question is a definite if...but if alama-francis does test as well as projected than i couldnt agree more the draft seems real top heavy to me and no one im dying to get thats projected to be in the 20-25 area thus i think trading down and taking players we truly want is the definite way to go..plus it goes by manginis building through the draft philosophy...and hopefully alama-francis's torn pec or whatever it was he hurt in the hula bowl will be better...if not i still feel a private workout could be in line
Old 02-19-2007, 01:47 AM    (permalink
shavedaeyebrow2
Pro Bowler

shavedaeyebrow2 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim3031
Quote:
1. Coles is getting older, and with all the contact he takes, idk how much longer he can last. If you watch one game, he gets shaken up and/or hurt very often.
Coles is 29 I believe and is in his prime. He does take a lot of beating and he probably won't be playing for more than 3/4 years. That's an awful long time to be looking ahead in the future with so many needs that are in the current.
Coles told the press that he doesn't know how much more he can take after he took such a beating this year. I think if he has another rough season, he will ask to get the ball less or retire at an earlier age.

Gamertag: KRAAAWG
shavedaeyebrow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:20 PM    (permalink
Hutch13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyjets5125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny4
I'm just going to throw this out there. I'm starting to think that if we package our #1 and #2 to the skins, we could get our hands on Allen Branch. He would be our Seymour. I'm think this falls a little short on the pick value chart.
The value is way, way short. If the Skins would bite though, i would love Branch. Especially cuz im a Michigan fan. Guys an animal.
I just read heard that Clayton thinks Branch could fall to the mid first round. If he does, we HAVE to go get him.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:34 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

hcbrad08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm just going to throw this out there. I'm starting to think that if we package our #1 and #2 to the skins, we could get our hands on Allen Branch. He would be our Seymour. I'm think this falls a little short on the pick value chart.
The value is way, way short. If the Skins would bite though, i would love Branch. Especially cuz im a Michigan fan. Guys an animal.
I just read heard that Clayton thinks Branch could fall to the mid first round. If he does, we HAVE to go get him.
Alan Branch is not the answer to our problem. He's 6-6 good NTs are 6-1 or 6-2 max 6-3. Unless Branch can run a 5.00 40 and can play DE in the 3-4 with PRO SPEED then he doesn't fit the Jets D. Also I dont think he worth the value to trade up (we would have to give up a pick in the 2nd and that would leave us with a bad pool of suitors for our other needs in the draft.)

Exactly Why The Jets are the Coolest Team in the NFL:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html
hcbrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:41 PM    (permalink
El$anDollah
Rookie

Does anyone have a a low key that they would like to be on the Jets?

I would want Jacoby Jones, Tyrone Moss, Ryne Robinson, and Anthony Waters.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:03 PM    (permalink
Jonathan_VIlma
Pro Bowler

Jonathan_VIlma hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shavedaeyebrow2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim3031
Quote:
1. Coles is getting older, and with all the contact he takes, idk how much longer he can last. If you watch one game, he gets shaken up and/or hurt very often.
Coles is 29 I believe and is in his prime. He does take a lot of beating and he probably won't be playing for more than 3/4 years. That's an awful long time to be looking ahead in the future with so many needs that are in the current.
Coles told the press that he doesn't know how much more he can take after he took such a beating this year. I think if he has another rough season, he will ask to get the ball less or retire at an earlier age.
Coles also said that along with the tough minicamps, he only wanted to play three more years before he retired.

Designs by Thule
Jonathan_VIlma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:58 PM    (permalink
kafb86

Quote:
Does anyone have a a low key that they would like to be on the Jets?

I would want Jacoby Jones, Tyrone Moss, Ryne Robinson, and Anthony Waters.
I really like DeShawyn Wynn from Florida, he was a great high school player but was in the wrong system in college. He is a power back that can compliment Leon well. I would also like Jacoby Jones.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:43 PM    (permalink
shavedaeyebrow2
Pro Bowler

shavedaeyebrow2 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I would just like to let you all know, I will be making a sig as a tribute of Curtis Martin's career. I will take the longest I've ever taken my time on a sig before, so I will make sure it is perfect. I'll post it here, and we will all remember, the Greatness that was and still is, Curtis Martin.

Gamertag: KRAAAWG
shavedaeyebrow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:35 AM    (permalink
C-Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by shavedaeyebrow2
I would just like to let you all know, I will be making a sig as a tribute of Curtis Martin's career. I will take the longest I've ever taken my time on a sig before, so I will make sure it is perfect. I'll post it here, and we will all remember, the Greatness that was and still is, Curtis Martin.

amen to that
Old 02-20-2007, 01:33 PM    (permalink
kafb86

I'm stealing this from the NFL Draft Forum but I'm interested in your guy's opinions.

1) I have my fingers and toes crossed that if we keep our pick, we will use it on ___________.

2) I'll throw a HUGE fit if we use it on _______________.

3) If I can't get the guy I really want with that pick, the player I want next most with that pick is _______________.

4) With the eight (I'm guessing, after compensatory picks) draft picks we'll have, I'd like to see about _____ used on offense and _____ used on defense.

5) If we trade down/up to the middle of the first round, the guy who might be there I'd really love is _______________.

6) But if we trade down/up to the middle of the first round, we better not do it to take _______________.

7) The mid-round prospect I'd really love to see come to my team is _______________.

8 ) The late-round sleeper I'd really love to see come to my team is _______________.

9) I'll consider this a successful draft if we can improve our ________________ unit/position.

10) The prospect I'd bet the farm on being a star (if I had to) is _______________.

11) Likewise, the guy I'd bet will be a huge giant bust is _______________.

12) The guy who I think will get taken way too high is _______________.

13) But _______________ will fall farther than he should.

14) The one thing we absolutely don't need is another _______________.

15) My one pet player for this draft - the guy nobody is talking about who I know is on his way to great things - is _______________.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:34 PM    (permalink
kafb86

1) I have my fingers and toes crossed that if we keep our pick, we will use it on Adam Carriker.

2) I'll throw a HUGE fit if we use it on Quinn Pitcock.

3) If I can't get the guy I really want with that pick, the player I want next most with that pick is Patrick Willis.

4) With the eight (I'm guessing, after compensatory picks) draft picks we'll have, I'd like to see about 4 used on offense and 4 used on defense.

5) If we trade down/up to the middle of the first round, the guy who might be there I'd really love is Marshawn Lynch.

6) But if we trade down/up to the middle of the first round, we better not do it to take Levi Brown.

7) The mid-round prospect I'd really love to see come to my team is Steve Smith.

8 ) The late-round sleeper I'd really love to see come to my team is Deshawn Wynn.

9) I'll consider this a successful draft if we can improve our run defense unit/position.

10) The prospect I'd bet the farm on being a star (if I had to) is Calvin Johnson.

11) Likewise, the guy I'd bet will be a huge giant bust is Quinn Pitcock.

12) The guy who I think will get taken way too high is Jon Beason.

13) But Michael Bush will fall farther than he should.

14) The one thing we absolutely don't need is another Safety.

15) My one pet player for this draft - the guy nobody is talking about who I know is on his way to great things - is LaMarr Woodley.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:58 PM    (permalink
C-Thomas

i wanted to throw this out here and see what everyones opinion on signing Marcus Bell its been rumored that along with bly and mike williams he will be released...at 27 years old 6'2 339 pounds i dont know too much about him seeing i havn't watched many lions games..and I believe hes been mostly a backup...but if im correct that seems to be quite the ideal frame for a 3-4 nose tackle.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:19 PM    (permalink
C-Thomas

1) I have my fingers and toes crossed that if we keep our pick, we will use it on Adam Carriker.

2) I'll throw a HUGE fit if we use it on Tank Tyler.

3) If I can't get the guy I really want with that pick, the player I want next most with that pick is ...im an ass but i guess i wouldnt mind seeing michael turner with the trade.

4) With the eight (I'm guessing, after compensatory picks) draft picks we'll have, I'd like to see about 4 used on offense and 4 used on defense.

5) If we trade down/up to the middle of the first round, the guy who might be there I'd really love is Marshawn Lynch.

6) But if we trade down/up to the middle of the first round, we better not do it to take Levi Brown.

7) The mid-round prospect I'd really love to see come to my team is Steve Smith.

8 ) The late-round sleeper I'd really love to see come to my team is johnnie lee higgins.

9) I'll consider this a successful draft if we can improve our run defense/pass rush defensive back depth.

10) The prospect I'd bet the farm on being a star (if I had to) is Calvin Johnson.

11) Likewise, the guy I'd bet will be a huge giant bust is .

12) The guy who I think will get taken way too high is Leon Hall.

13) But LaMarr Woodley will fall farther than he should.

14) The one thing we absolutely don't need is another Safety.

15) My one pet player for this draft - the guy nobody is talking about who I know is on his way to great things - is Ikaika Alama-francis (and people are talking about him just not enough).
Old 02-20-2007, 07:31 PM    (permalink
Pujols

whats up guys...i'm really nervous about this year's off season because of one reason-asanti samuel was franchised..granted, he isn't the best corner in the nfl, but the best that was available...i guess we have to try to get clement from buffalo..as far as the draft, DONT TRADE UP! look what we did last year with all of those picks..i would really like to see them get a run stuffer in the middle or an "abraham-like" pass rusher..we have a chance to get davis(arizona) and make him play guard, and if we have to pay out for him, its worth it because there is not a O-lineman in the draft that is worth the pick at our position in the draft. if all of this happens, then we could always get a TE in free agency, and cross our fingers and hope that we could scoop up Irons in the draft to compliment Washington, because you can say goodbye to "thanks for nothing Blaylock" and Barlow...what do you guys think?
Old 02-20-2007, 08:41 PM    (permalink
jetsfan3
All-Pro

jetsfan3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Re: jets offseason

Quote:
Originally Posted by gio
whats up guys...i'm really nervous about this year's off season because of one reason-asanti samuel was franchised..granted, he isn't the best corner in the nfl, but the best that was available...i guess we have to try to get clement from buffalo..as far as the draft, DONT TRADE UP! look what we did last year with all of those picks..i would really like to see them get a run stuffer in the middle or an "abraham-like" pass rusher..we have a chance to get davis(arizona) and make him play guard, and if we have to pay out for him, its worth it because there is not a O-lineman in the draft that is worth the pick at our position in the draft. if all of this happens, then we could always get a TE in free agency, and cross our fingers and hope that we could scoop up Irons in the draft to compliment Washington, because you can say goodbye to "thanks for nothing Blaylock" and Barlow...what do you guys think?
I agree with most of what you said, we need a RB to compliment Leon, hopefully Kenny Irons or Tony Hunt with out second second rounder. Davis could be an option at RG. I don't really think a TE is necessary as of now, via free agency or the draft. I don't want Nate Clements so badly, I'd prefer a NT in the first, a CB in the 2nd, a power RB with our other second, Alma-Francis in the 3rd, and a WR in the 5th.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:08 PM    (permalink
C-Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gio
I agree with most of what you said, we need a RB to compliment Leon, hopefully Kenny Irons or Tony Hunt with out second second rounder. Davis could be an option at RG. I don't really think a TE is necessary as of now, via free agency or the draft. I don't want Nate Clements so badly, I'd prefer a NT in the first, a CB in the 2nd, a power RB with our other second, Alma-Francis in the 3rd, and a WR in the 5th.

i also agree with this mostly...all those things would be excellent to have, a hardnosed RB, a shut down corner and a NT...however i dont feel at our current position in the draft there is a NT that is worth our pick but i do feel there are solid CB's available in the 2nd round..i can only hope carriker falls to us, however if not i dont mind the idea of trading down acquiring possibly a high 2nd and 3rd round of equal trade value or somethin along those lines becuase i beleive the draft is fairly top heavy in elite talent but very deep in solid players in the 2nd and 3rd rounds..because of the needs of certain teams i beleive a lot of players we covet could fall into the 2nd round and those we wanted in the second could fall into the third...that said i can't wait to see how the combine results turn out this week
Old 02-20-2007, 09:14 PM    (permalink
Pujols

Default think about this for a while.....

my buddies think i'm nuts, but if you just think about the 34 scheme for a sec, would it be totally out of left field to possibly use vilma as trade bait if his role isnt changed after next season? i mean, the guy is awesome, there is no doubt...but if he isnt used like he was his first 2 seasons, he unfortunately may become expendable...and you know MANY teams, WITHOUT A DOUBT, would trade a big time player(RB, WR, etc) for him. i hate to sound like the jets will become a NE clone, but look at those players on NE on defense before '01..a bunch of no-names...but a coach like mangini is all about "bieng at the right place at the right time"...we have many above average LBs who could easily run those schemes on the field...also, with free agent WRs....i really wouldn't mind trying to get Drew Bennett if the price was right...he is a gritty player who has awesome hands...
Old 02-20-2007, 09:30 PM    (permalink
jetsfan3
All-Pro

jetsfan3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Re: think about this for a while.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gio
my buddies think i'm nuts, but if you just think about the 34 scheme for a sec, would it be totally out of left field to possibly use vilma as trade bait if his role isnt changed after next season? i mean, the guy is awesome, there is no doubt...but if he isnt used like he was his first 2 seasons, he unfortunately may become expendable...and you know MANY teams, WITHOUT A DOUBT, would trade a big time player(RB, WR, etc) for him. i hate to sound like the jets will become a NE clone, but look at those players on NE on defense before '01..a bunch of no-names...but a coach like mangini is all about "bieng at the right place at the right time"...we have many above average LBs who could easily run those schemes on the field...also, with free agent WRs....i really wouldn't mind trying to get Drew Bennett if the price was right...he is a gritty player who has awesome hands...
This has been brought up numerous times in this thread. The thing is, Vilma is the Quarterback of the defense. Also, we Jet fans feel that a true Nose Tackle would allow Vilma to rome freely, and he would be MUCH better. We can't give up on Vilma right now, for we have no Nose Tackle. Once we solidify that position, Vilma will be back to the animal that he was 2 years ago.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:08 PM    (permalink
C-Thomas

vilma is most definately the quarterback of the defense...and just like most players in a brand new system who has the role of "quarterbacking," cannot simply just play He has to think about whats going to happen then react, he is not allowed to just react, like those players who have been in the system for a while do(and he will be one of those players, and he will be great)...its the same thing for a quarterback learning a new system, he played very well this year and i feel another year under his belt he play even better..but i digress i want to point out the play of a former new york jet...james farrior...and his play in respect to casey hampton a true NT, the best NT in the league...he had 142 total tackles in 2001 as a jet and then switched to a 3-4 playing under bill cowher as a steeler and recorded just 82 tackles...granted he missed 2 games but still that doesnt portray to be more than 100 tackles...the next year completely healthy 141 total tackles AMAZING...then next year completely healthy once again only 94 total...hmmm..how could this be...it is NO coincidence that the inside linebacker on this team had a sudden drop in productivity when casey hampton missed 10 games...the following year when hampton played a full season farrior recorded 119 total 3 sacks and 4 int one of his best years..and they won the superbowl....my point is vilma didn't have a horrible year and i believe like most jets fans that with the addition of a top notch NT he'll be the beast he was 2 years ago
Old 02-20-2007, 10:28 PM    (permalink
kafb86

i wanna know what you guys think about taking leon hall in round 1 if he falls to 25, in my opinion we should wait until round 2 (preferably 2a) to pick a cb, but if hall or revis (would probably be hall) were to fall to us, i would love that pick unless of course carriker is there
Old 02-21-2007, 09:38 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm stealing this from the NFL Draft Forum but I'm interested in your guy's opinions.

1) I have my fingers and toes crossed that if we keep our pick, we will use it in a trade down.

2) I'll throw a HUGE fit if we use it on Joe Staley.

3) If I can't get the guy I really want with that pick, the player I want next most with that pick is BPA that isn't a QB or a rush OLB, the guy that slips. Hopefully a lineman.

4) With the eight (I'm guessing, after compensatory picks) draft picks we'll have, I'd like to see about 3 used on offense and 5 used on defense.

5) If we trade down/up to the middle of the first round, the guy who might be there I'd really love is I'd be pretty unhappy if we trade up in the first, but Carriker.

6) But if we trade down/up to the middle of the first round, we better not do it to take anybody else.

7) The mid-round prospect I'd really love to see come to my team is Manuel Ramirez.

8 ) The late-round sleeper I'd really love to see come to my team is DeShawn Wynn.

9) I'll consider this a successful draft if we can improve our lines.

10) The prospect I'd bet the farm on being a star (if I had to) is Calvin Johnson

11) Likewise, the guy I'd bet will be a huge giant bust is I dunno, Brady Quinn I guess.

12) The guy who I think will get taken way too high is Ted Ginn Jr.

13) But Dwayne Jarrett will fall farther than he should.

14) The one thing we absolutely don't need is another left tackle/center.

15) My one pet player for this draft - the guy nobody is talking about who I know is on his way to great things - is Brandon Myles.
derza222 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:21 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jets | Poteat re-signed
Wed, 21 Feb 2007 12:10:11 -0800

Rich Cimini, of the New York Daily News, reports the New York Jets have re-signed CB Hank Poteat to a one-year, $635,000 contract including $40,000 in bonus money.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote