Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 03-03-2007, 11:23 PM    (permalink
jetsfan3
All-Pro

jetsfan3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyjets5125 View Post
lets just say we draft chris houston at 25 and michael bush round 2, that would be michael bush, chris houston, and john vilma for adrian peterson....looking at it tah way it doesnt sound so bad, but i can't see the jets without vilma, and plus taht would open up a huge vacancy at ILB where we are already looking for improvement at the other ILB position
Barton wasn't terrible and we can always sign Donnie Edwards.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:31 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

nyjets5125 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan3 View Post
Barton wasn't terrible and we can always sign Donnie Edwards.
i would not be happy with a LB core of thomas, barton, edwards, and hobson, we would need other improvements at the LB position, plus we would have to address another need in free agency that we wouldve addressed in the first 2 rounds
Old 03-03-2007, 11:38 PM    (permalink
Javes
Rookie

Javes hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan3 View Post
Hearing the news

Sign Jerry Porter

Trade Vilma, our late 2nd, and #25 for #2 and a 4th round pick

1. Adrian Peterson
2. Justin Blaylock
3. Aikika Alma-Francis
4. Steve Smith
5. Leron McClain
6. BPA
That would be a great draft but I just see them trading Vilma
Javes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:42 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

i am really starting to get agrivated with all this talk of trading vilma...when i first heard it i figured it was just people speculating on forums, then when i heard it "came from a credible source," i can only hope that its just the jets organization creating a bunch of talk so as people dont focus on what they really want to be doing...kinda like that old David Copperfield smoke and mirrors trick ''Look at my assistant with the big tits while I take the Rolex right off your wrist.'' but i digress...vilma is an absolute beast and i dont see how trading up to take AD or CJ would while losing vilma would be such an amazing solution to our problems...our offense performed quite well this past year under a brand new system. Yes, i do feel either AD or CJ would most definately help our offense, but i feel as though if our defense could stop a few more 3rd and outs and givethem the ball back it would do jsut as much if not more than getting one of them..and doing this without vilma i beleive would be extremely tough...now maybe im wrong, however i honestly feel getting a true nose tackle would def help ease our problems (if i can find my previous about the correlation between james farrior and casey hampton to vilma i will post it) and definately silence the people that say vilma can't play in a 3-4....hes a true football player and will find a way to be a great player in this system.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:51 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

"i did a little research in regards to some people discussing the trading of vilma becuase he doesnt "fit" in the 3-4 system....vilma is most definately the quarterback of the defense...and just like most players in a brand new system who has the role of "quarterbacking," cannot simply just play He has to think about whats going to happen then react, he is not allowed to just react, like those players who have been in the system for a while do(and he will be one of those players, and he will be great)... i feel another year under his belt he play even better..but i digress i want to point out the play of a former new york jet...james farrior...and his play in respect to casey hampton a true NT, the best NT in the league...he had 142 total tackles in 2001 as a jet and then switched to a 3-4 playing under bill cowher as a steeler and recorded just 82 tackles...granted he missed 2 games but still that doesnt portray to be more than 100 tackles...the next year completely healthy 141 total tackles AMAZING...then next year completely healthy once again only 94 total...hmmm..how could this be...it is NO coincidence that the inside linebacker on this team had a sudden drop in productivity when casey hampton, the NT, missed 10 games...the following year when hampton played a full season farrior recorded 119 total 3 sacks and 4 int one of his best years..and they won the superbowl....my point is vilma didn't have a horrible year and i believe like most jets fans that with the addition of a top notch NT he'll be the beast he was 2 years ago...if that means waiting another year till we can get one then thats fine, but I just hate the idea of him playing for someone else"

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 12:02 AM    (permalink
throwback54milkman
Veteran

throwback54milkman needs more cowbell.

I love Jonathan Vilma, but Adrian Peterson is the guy of our dreams

^^Sig From Nvot9
J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!
throwback54milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 12:47 AM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwback54milkman View Post
Running-backs are a dime in a dozen my friend. And don't go tell me he is different because "he is a once in a decade prospect" or something to that extent.

We need a running threat this is no secret. Do you think AD is worth the number one pick in the draft? How about the number two?

We need to sign a running-back through FA for this year. There is a possibility Lynch falls to us also. And if not, next year's RB class could be pretty stacked depending on who declares.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:48 AM    (permalink
shavedaeyebrow2
Pro Bowler

shavedaeyebrow2 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwback54milkman View Post
Vilma is the Jets defense. You say the Jets, first person that comes to mind is probably Vilma. If you say Jets defense, the first player is Vilma without a doubt. We can't lose Vilma just for a RB (since RBs are a dime a dozen). We could just easily draft a RB like Irons in the 2nd, who may turn out better than Peterson. Not saying it's going to happen, but it's possible.

Gamertag: KRAAAWG
shavedaeyebrow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 12:49 AM    (permalink
shavedaeyebrow2
Pro Bowler

shavedaeyebrow2 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDown View Post
Running-backs are a dime in a dozen my friend. And don't go tell me he is different because "he is a once in a decade prospect" or something to that extent.

We need a running threat this is no secret. Do you think AD is worth the number one pick in the draft? How about the number two?

We need to sign a running-back through FA for this year. There is a possibility Lynch falls to us also. And if not, next year's RB class could be pretty stacked depending on who declares.
Great minds think alike

Gamertag: KRAAAWG
shavedaeyebrow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:19 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lets say we trade up. What are the odds that we take CJ instead of Peterson? A WR of Johnson's caliber is certainly much harder to find than a RB of Peterson's character, and that seems an awful lot to trade for a guy that has the injury concerns of Peterson. Seems like we're trading one of our best players for a guy who is far from a sure thing, and I don't know that this organization would do that. I know Calvin Johnson is not a sure thing, but he's certainly closer to a sure thing than Peterson.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:16 AM    (permalink
Dillen
Pro Bowler

Dillen hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Are the Jets really considering trading him though? I'd love for the Eagles to trade the 26th pick and maybe a throw in for him. I'm not sure it would be enough, but players never get traded for a high pick straight up.

Thanks to jkpigskin
Dillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:30 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

26 and a throw in for Vilma? There's no way that we would do that trade. In the proposed trade with the Lions Vilma would be worth about the 5th overall pick. You'd have to give up a future first and a second or two to get that trade done, and I'm sure the Eagles would not do that.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:35 AM    (permalink
Dillen
Pro Bowler

Um...hate to break it to you, but Vilma isn't worth the 5th pick overall. Then again, if the trade is with the Lions it's very possible.

Thanks to jkpigskin

Last edited by Dillen : 03-04-2007 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:06 PM    (permalink
Newbs24
Rookie

Newbs24 is a cocksman.Newbs24 is a cocksman.Newbs24 is a cocksman.Newbs24 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillen View Post
Um...hate to break it to you, but Vilma isn't worth the 5th pick overall. Then again, if the trade is with the Lions it's very possible.
Why isn't he worth a Top 5 pick? I would say he is already a Top 5 MLB and is only 25 years old. That instantly nmakes him the best defensive player in the draft and he still has the potential to be better than everybody in the draft. Offering the 26th pick is basically sayinmg that he might be a first round talent in this draft class. You would then take Willis, Timmons, Poz and Beason all over Vilma? Maybe thats why Philly hasn't won anything in a long time.
Newbs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 12:06 PM    (permalink
gio
Rookie

gio hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default free agent/cut players

i was really nervous on fri and sat about the nyj not being agressive yet...but then i thought about it, and realized we weren't in as bad shape as detroit, or the rams, or even buffalo..good for those teams, because they will all suck next year too..as far as trading down to get adrian peterson, i think its a bad move..you know we cant give a 1 and a 3 for michael turner, and SD is animate about not taking anything less, so screw them..but check this scenario out and tell me you guys wouldn't want to think about it...lamont jordan, if he gets cut...we sign him back for far less than what he signed for in oakland..then you would have him, washington, and houston...we would be fine again..i'd take him back in a heartbeat, who else is out there? if that happens we can package our 1st and 3rd or 4th to move up and get a better DE or DT..keep vilma for one more year, if he plays the same role as which he played in 06, then unfortunately he would be expendable. but i wouldnt use him as trade bait just to move up this draft. nobody in the draft is worth vilma.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:18 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:

Um...we there were also rumors of us trading Vilma to Washington for the 6th overall and everyone in the NFL forum seems to think the Lions would actually be getting the better end of that deal, so unless you know something that nobody else knows... Vilma is a top 5 LB in a 4-3 defense who about to hit his prime right now. In the 4-3 he's a tackling machine and a great player, besides all of that he's a proven commodity (in the 4-3), which no other player in the draft can say. He's a hard worker and a team leader as well. So why isn't he worth #5 overall?
Old 03-04-2007, 12:25 PM    (permalink
Dillen
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbs24 View Post
Why isn't he worth a Top 5 pick? I would say he is already a Top 5 MLB and is only 25 years old. That instantly nmakes him the best defensive player in the draft and he still has the potential to be better than everybody in the draft. Offering the 26th pick is basically sayinmg that he might be a first round talent in this draft class. You would then take Willis, Timmons, Poz and Beason all over Vilma? Maybe thats why Philly hasn't won anything in a long time.
Already a top 5 MLB? No. He definitely has the potential to be. He wasn't top 5 last year. He isn't great in the 3-4, and that's what scheme he is in, so how is he top 5?

I would take Vilma over any LB in the draft class. But players hardly ever get equal value. Maybe Vilma will because he's still so young. I highly doubt it.

The only 2 LBs in the draft I'd take at 26 are Willis and Timmons. Vilma is worth atleast twice as much as Posluszny and Beason. They aren't in his league as a prospect. Willis and Timmons are close to what Vilma was as a prospect. Vilma has proven himself to be a good MLB. That's really the only thing he has over them.

What an Eagles fan thinks about a Jets player has absolutely nothing to do with "why the Eagles havent wont anything in a long time." Speaking of winning recently...The Jets have won 3 playoff games since 1987. They've been in the playoffs 6 times. The Eagles have won 10 playoff games since 1987 and been in the playoffs 12 times.........so yeah.

I normally dont do this type of thing but for you to say that when the Jets have never even been in a Super Bowl as an NFL team is downright stupid.

Thanks to jkpigskin
Old 03-04-2007, 12:43 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Already a top 5 MLB? No. He definitely has the potential to be. He wasn't top 5 last year. He isn't great in the 3-4, and that's what scheme he is in, so how is he top 5?

I would take Vilma over any LB in the draft class. But players hardly ever get equal value. Maybe Vilma will because he's still so young. I highly doubt it.

The only 2 LBs in the draft I'd take at 26 are Willis and Timmons. Vilma is worth atleast twice as much as Posluszny and Beason. They aren't in his league as a prospect. Willis and Timmons are close to what Vilma was as a prospect. Vilma has proven himself to be a good MLB. That's really the only thing he has over them.

What an Eagles fan thinks about a Jets player has absolutely nothing to do with "why the Eagles havent wont anything in a long time." Speaking of winning recently...The Jets have won 3 playoff games since 1987. They've been in the playoffs 6 times. The Eagles have won 10 playoff games since 1987 and been in the playoffs 12 times.........so yeah.

I normally dont do this type of thing but for you to say that when the Jets have never even been in a Super Bowl as an NFL team is downright stupid.

Vilma is a top 5 MLB in a 4-3 defense, you can't say he isn't because he was back before we switched to the 3-4. In the 3-4 he's an ILB not an MLB. I'd venture to say that about 75% of people on this site would say that Vilma is a top 5 MLB in the league right now. And like I said, if teams are willing to pull the trigger on that kind of trade, who are you to say that he's not worth the 5th overall pick?
Old 03-04-2007, 12:54 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

is anyone else considered about the jets just sitting back and waiting in free agency?
Old 03-04-2007, 01:13 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

4 things:
1. is anyone else concerned about Tangini just sitting back and waiting quitely in free agency?
2. am i rigth here that if vilma was in the draft, the lions would likley take him with the 2nd overall pick? thats why i think the 1st 2nd and vilma is too much, which im opposed to in the first place becasue i would rather vilma than any player in the draft
3. im glad to see that we are actually negotiating with running backs.....http://www.nypost.com/seven/03042007...nn izzaro.htm....im upset that travis henry is not likely goign to the jets but i just hope we can get one of the elite FA rb's or mcgahee or thomas jones
4. rumor has it that the dolphins want to trade mcmichael for a 3rd round pick, i think this would be a great trade because i would rather mcmichael for a 3rd than olsen for a 1st, what do you guys think?
Old 03-04-2007, 01:19 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
2. am i rigth here that if vilma was in the draft, the lions would likley take him with the 2nd overall pick?
You should know by now that this is not how it works. You rarely see players getting first round value.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:42 PM    (permalink
jetsfan3
All-Pro

Quote:
4 things:
1. is anyone else concerned about Tangini just sitting back and waiting quitely in free agency?
2. am i rigth here that if vilma was in the draft, the lions would likley take him with the 2nd overall pick? thats why i think the 1st 2nd and vilma is too much, which im opposed to in the first place becasue i would rather vilma than any player in the draft
3. im glad to see that we are actually negotiating with running backs.....http://www.nypost.com/seven/03042007...nn izzaro.htm....im upset that travis henry is not likely goign to the jets but i just hope we can get one of the elite FA rb's or mcgahee or thomas jones
4. rumor has it that the dolphins want to trade mcmichael for a 3rd round pick, i think this would be a great trade because i would rather mcmichael for a 3rd than olsen for a 1st, what do you guys think?
I would love to see McGahee as a Jet because

A) He would stop raping us when we play the bills
B) He is an excellent runner

What would it cost to get him?
Old 03-04-2007, 01:46 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

McGahee I think would be tough to get because he's from a division rival and I'm not sure how great he is. I believe his YPC was under 4 last year. However, he does have potential. But between injury concerns and so-so character I don't see us going for him. Cost would probabaly be our third, maybe our second second, but again I'm not sure I see it happening. What do you guys think of taking David Harris out of Michigan? Seems like he's a good player and would be a good fit for our defensive scheme.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:55 PM    (permalink
jetsfan3
All-Pro

I would say this be a reasonable trade:

Lions recieve:

Jonathan Vilma
Pick #37 (530)
Pick #57 (330)
Future 4th round pick (20)

Jets recieve

Pick #2 (2600)
6th round pick (15)

Lions give up 2615
Jets give up 880

The difference is 1735.

The #5 pick is worth 1700. This Makes John Vilma worth the #5 overall pick, which I think is fair considering he is a top 3 LB in their defense and he's only 25 years old. This leaves 35 points. Because this is Matt Millen, please spare me 35 points! It's a fair trade IMO. I know they may want our first, but I think it is too much. Vilma is just such a stud in a 4-3.

Sign Joey Porter, Donnie Edwards, and Travis Henry

Trade Justin Mcareins to the Redskins for a 4th round pick

Draft:

1a. Calvin Johnson
1b. Patrick Willis
3. Aikika Alma-Francis
4. Josh Wilson (Scott has him as a mid-rounder)
5. Steve Smith
6. Leron McClain
Old 03-04-2007, 02:04 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

So you think we could take CJ too? I think that's the most logical scenario, although I think we're more likely to sign Duckett than Henry. That said, I'd probably prefer Henry. Another late first possibility IMO is Harris, we could even trade down a bit pick up another second or third and take him making the trade for #2 only slightly different than Vilma straight up for 2 overall. I do really highly doubt Steve Smith falls that far though. If we actually do trade for the second pick, I would definitely like that scenario a lot.