Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 09-10-2007, 10:04 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After watching the monday night game, we need to make a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE push for Suggs in the offseason if the Ravens don't instantly sign him (I know it's not likely). He was the definition of disruptive tonight, he was everywhere. He's a grade pass-rusher and is always in hot pursuit against the run. Suggs is exactly what we need, honestly, i'd even trade our 1st rounder this year for him and next year for him. There is no one i'd rather see in green and white next year than Suggs

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:30 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I respectfully disagree. The 3-4 is about linemen. We need more beef and talent up front first. Once we get size up front the linebackers can move more freely. But Suggs isn't good enough to get to the passer by himself, the Ravens have a very talented defense that opens up opportunities for guys. If you stick Suggs in our front 7 it'll help but teams will focus on him and I don't think he'll be nearly as successful as he is in Baltimore. We need to work on the line first, linebackers later. Just my opinion.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:45 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

hcbrad08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Suggs would easily become the best player on our defense and I guarantee if he were on our D we would hve at least sacked brady sunday. I agree in that we do need more help eating up space up front however suggs is worth it. Theyll prob franchise him and I doubt we;ll give them a pick so I hope they let him test FA and he's ours and we get a NT and keep Robertson for depth 43 packages and some DE for him and them some way draft Frank Okam as a DE 6'5'' 320 same dimensions as richard seymore....oh sorry im writing my dreams down again

Exactly Why The Jets are the Coolest Team in the NFL:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html
hcbrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:56 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

hcbrad08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
anyone else think that Revis looked solid?
I definitely think Revis looked good...They stayed away from him and when they went to him he showed hes a solid tackler (ala the moss quick pass...if that was abrrett or miller moss would have scored...They knew who they were playing and picked on barret if dyson were in the game i think they would have mixed things up more and we could have avoided the moss fest that happened.

ALSO FOR THOSE NOT JUST LISTENING TO ESPNS SIMPLISTIC COVERAGE
when moss scored on the bomb yea there were 3 guys on him but 1 was barret (might as well have played dead) 1 was erik coleman bad in coverage and 1 was vilma chasing up the field. It was a semilucky play brady threw it to the corner and if the wind blew hard it would have been a jump ball which moss' prob would have had but still brady had a year and a half to throw.

Exactly Why The Jets are the Coolest Team in the NFL:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html
hcbrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:32 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcbrad08 View Post
Suggs would easily become the best player on our defense and I guarantee if he were on our D we would hve at least sacked brady sunday. I agree in that we do need more help eating up space up front however suggs is worth it. Theyll prob franchise him and I doubt we;ll give them a pick so I hope they let him test FA and he's ours and we get a NT and keep Robertson for depth 43 packages and some DE for him and them some way draft Frank Okam as a DE 6'5'' 320 same dimensions as richard seymore....oh sorry im writing my dreams down again
The thing is Suggs is going to cost a ton. And it's been said he hates New York, so he's not coming anyway. But he's going to eat up a lot of cap space, and quite honestly I think that money is better spent on the defensive line. I just think it's a bad and shortsighted move to sign him to a huge deal, having Suggs will only help our defense so much when we do such a poor job keeping blockers off of our linebackers.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:35 PM    (permalink
gang_green03
Rookie

gang_green03 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I definitely agree that if by some miracle he's avaliable then we should do whatever it takes. Giving him a huge contract would be fine since he's still so young and he would instantly give us a dominant player at our 2nd biggest need on defense and the 2nd most important position in the 3-4. He wouldn't be nearly as dominant on our defense but once we found a NT we'd be set and in the meantime he'd still give us a heck of a lot more pass rushing presense than what we currently have. Two 1sts would be pushing it but, I'd trade a 1st rounder for him no questions asked.

About him hating NY, I've seen that twice on this forum and I'm wondering where anyone has heard this from? Just curious. I sure hope its not true just in case.
gang_green03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:07 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What is the word on Penny? i haven't heard anything

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:48 PM    (permalink
throwback54milkman
Veteran

throwback54milkman needs more cowbell.

Mangini hasn't said anything, so my guess and the guesses on the radio all say that he will be out for the Baltimore game,

do we know the status of Mcnair for that game?

also, is it possible that the Pats will have to forfeit the game last sunday because those F***ers cheated?

^^Sig From Nvot9
J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!
throwback54milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:23 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwback54milkman View Post
Mangini hasn't said anything, so my guess and the guesses on the radio all say that he will be out for the Baltimore game,

do we know the status of Mcnair for that game?

also, is it possible that the Pats will have to forfeit the game last sunday because those F***ers cheated?
Nope, fine and draft picks. McNair may be out, Ray Lewis might have a torn tricep, and Ogden is probably done for the season.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:29 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
I respectfully disagree. The 3-4 is about linemen. We need more beef and talent up front first. Once we get size up front the linebackers can move more freely. But Suggs isn't good enough to get to the passer by himself, the Ravens have a very talented defense that opens up opportunities for guys. If you stick Suggs in our front 7 it'll help but teams will focus on him and I don't think he'll be nearly as successful as he is in Baltimore. We need to work on the line first, linebackers later. Just my opinion.
The line is more essential in stopping the run though, the pass rush is all about the backers. And as for the ravens having an extremely talented Defense an Suggs benefitting, i disagree. The other players benefit from Suggs alot more than Suggs benefits from them IMO

Sig by Me
Old 09-11-2007, 07:43 PM    (permalink
Bluedevil$
Rookie

Bluedevil$ hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The biggest need for us is NT hands down, but there are few of those available in FA and not many college teams run a 3-4 so there are few true NT's in the draft. I thought Alan Branch could fill the position nicely, too bad we didn't take him.

Once we find a NT, we can try to trade D-Rob for a true 3-4 DE.
Bluedevil$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:44 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETS5128 View Post
The line is more essential in stopping the run though, the pass rush is all about the backers. And as for the ravens having an extremely talented Defense an Suggs benefitting, i disagree. The other players benefit from Suggs alot more than Suggs benefits from them IMO
You can't tell me that a player doesn't benefit from playing on a defense as talented as the Ravens. Teams have to account for a ton of guys that have the ability to get to the quarterback and do it well, it helps not being THE GUY on a team. Stick Suggs on our defense and I don't think he does as well, just not nearly as good of a supporting cast. Regardless of who helps who more, being on that defense helps Suggs out. And again, this point is moot because he's not playing in New York after this season anyway! Finally, the pass rush is definitely not ALL about the linebackers. You can't tell me that if you have 2 guys up front that each require two blockers that a pass rush won't improve. Everything in a 3-4 will improve if the line is able to take up blockers. We don't have a line that does a good job of doing that. Sure better linebackers will help too, but you cannot tell me that the line has nothing to do with the pass rush. Just because the linemen don't get the stats doesn't mean they play an integral part in the linebackers' ability to get to the passer.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:45 PM    (permalink
Bluedevil$
Rookie

Bluedevil$ hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
although we could use another pass rusher, a big, strong line creates opportunities to rush. However, since our line is so small, even sending 2 pass rushers won't do the trick against good o-lines (ex: the Pats game).
Bluedevil$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 05:09 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

well, from what i hear chad said he doesn't expect to play against the ravens. Apparantly he told some people that, ahh hell let me just go find the site and edit it... "According to the Newark Star-Ledger, QB Chad Pennington (ankle) has told people that he doesn't expect to play in Week 2.
The Jets have said little about Pennington's status, but NFL Network's Adam Schefter reported Tuesday that Pennington could miss several games, opening the door for Kellen Clemens to start. "I prepare like I'm going to play, so if my number is called I give them the best opportunity to help the team win," Clemens said. "I'm going to prepare as best as I can and try to be as ready as possible." Sep. 12 - 9:18 am et"

so it does seem like we'll be getting to see a good amount of kellen. I sure hope he lives up to all that i think he could be and doesn't have any sort of neg learning curve hah. And just for debate, if he does play very well and chad does come back, do we kellen in or give it back to chad?

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 05:29 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

I think Chad will play. I don't want to say it will be an automatic loss if he doesn't, but we really need him if we don't want to start out 0-2.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:59 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

ESPN has an article on their frontpage and it seems that they're leaning towards Chad playing, though he may not. On the Ravens side Ogden and Sams are out, Lewis is playing, and McNair is up in the air just like Pennington.

EDIT: Here's the Pennington link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3015281

Last edited by derza222 : 09-12-2007 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:53 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

well i didn't see the article, and take this following article with a grain of salt, becuase i would definately think pennington, knowing how much mangini enjoys keeping things secret, wouldn't tell people that he probably wasn't starting. SO anyways;

"The Newark Star-Ledger reports Kellen Clemens will be the Jets' starting quarterback in Week 2 at Baltimore. Chad Pennington will not play.
The Star-Ledger cites "three people familiar with the severity of Pennington's (ankle) injury and the Jets' plans." Pennington is believed to have suffered either a high ankle sprain or a severely bruised ankle against New England. He reportedly does have a chance to play in Week 3 versus Miami. Sep. 12 - 9:40 pm et
Source: Newark Star-Ledger"

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Old 09-13-2007, 12:40 AM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

Quote:
You can't tell me that a player doesn't benefit from playing on a defense as talented as the Ravens. Teams have to account for a ton of guys that have the ability to get to the quarterback and do it well, it helps not being THE GUY on a team. Stick Suggs on our defense and I don't think he does as well, just not nearly as good of a supporting cast. Regardless of who helps who more, being on that defense helps Suggs out. And again, this point is moot because he's not playing in New York after this season anyway! Finally, the pass rush is definitely not ALL about the linebackers. You can't tell me that if you have 2 guys up front that each require two blockers that a pass rush won't improve. Everything in a 3-4 will improve if the line is able to take up blockers. We don't have a line that does a good job of doing that. Sure better linebackers will help too, but you cannot tell me that the line has nothing to do with the pass rush. Just because the linemen don't get the stats doesn't mean they play an integral part in the linebackers' ability to get to the passer.
In terms of rushing the passer suggs is the guy on that team, no one does it better than him. Going into a game against the ravens you know coaches are gameplaning on how to stop suggs from getting to the QB. He is THE most feared pass rusher on the ravens. I'll agree it is a pretty moot point though. I guess i worded my other quote incorrectly, obviously the line is important but IMO i think the linebackers are just as (if not more) important in rushing the passer.

In other news Clemens is officially starting against baltimore. Gotta be rough to go against that D as your first career start. I expect Clemens to get slaughtered

We also re-signed brandon moore to a 3-year extension

Sig by Me

Last edited by JETS5128 : 09-13-2007 at 12:48 AM.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:21 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
In terms of rushing the passer suggs is the guy on that team, no one does it better than him. Going into a game against the ravens you know coaches are gameplaning on how to stop suggs from getting to the QB. He is THE most feared pass rusher on the ravens. I'll agree it is a pretty moot point though. I guess i worded my other quote incorrectly, obviously the line is important but IMO i think the linebackers are just as (if not more) important in rushing the passer.

In other news Clemens is officially starting against baltimore. Gotta be rough to go against that D as your first career start. I expect Clemens to get slaughtered

We also re-signed brandon moore to a 3-year extension
Perhaps he's the most feared rusher on the Ravens, but guys like Kelly Gregg and Sione Pouha take up blockers. You have to account for a guy like Bart Scott, who does a great job getting to the passer. And the Ravens blitz constantly. Team's have to be ready to account for 5, 6 guys every play, and you're not going to be able to block all of those guys one on one for the whole game. The fact is he plays on a much more talented defense than ours, even if he is the best pass rusher they have guys that occupy blockers and are better at getting to the passer than our guys. It'd be much easier to focus on Suggs here, because his supporting cast there is so much better than ours is here. And I don't think you worded yourself incorrectly, I just think the line is at least as important as the linebackers in the pass game and more important in the run game. So I'd build through the line first.

Clemens is in for a rough game against the Baltimore defense we were just discussing. They have a ton of guys that can get to the quarterback and blitz almost all the time. The Bengals did a fantastic job of picking up the rush last week, and Carson Palmer still struggled against their fantastic secondary. People are going to come in here and say that he's not our QB of the future and we need to go in a different direction after this game, but honestly this game as his first career start against a defense this good is not a good barometer of how good he's going to be. The very talented Bengals offense scored 2 touchdowns, both against a short field after a turnover, and kicked two field goals. We're going to have some trouble this week, especially after how our line looked last week.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:55 AM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

i agree with most of this; i agree that i would love to have suggs on our team, and i also agree he wouldn't be as good on our team as he as on the ravens becuase of the supporting cast. But, i just dont know if thats true, he could be a stud on our team. Anyways, i have a feeling it will be a huge test for clemens on sunday, but i feel that our coaching staff will puthim in the situation where he won't be losing the game for us. I was just reading an article about how brooks bollinger made his first start against the ravens and was sacked 5 times, yet only loss 13-3. My point is, yes their defense is amazing, but i still see us being able to score a few points on them. Now flip it over, their offense isn't fantastic either. Mcnair is likely sitting out, which opens up the deep game with boller, but i just would rather face boller than mcnair. Ray lewis could possibily be out, as well as ogden possibly being out. Anyways, definately can't wait for the game.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:59 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
definately can't wait for the game.
agreed... i can't wait to see what kellen does... i really like him
Old 09-13-2007, 05:04 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Ray Lewis is playing, and Ogden is out. I guess it's possible that that changes, but quite unlikely, it looks like that's how it's going to go. The only big question mark is McNair.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:44 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Ray Lewis is playing, and Ogden is out. I guess it's possible that that changes, but quite unlikely, it looks like that's how it's going to go. The only big question mark is McNair.
darn i was hoping Lewis would be 1 less LB we'd have to deal with... Let's cross our fingers for McNair being out... I think he's a big step up from Boller...
Old 09-13-2007, 06:41 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

From what i've read, the league has ruled out giving the jets the win (and by what ive read, i mean the following paragraph hah)

The NFL is reportedly considering suspending coach Bill Belichick two or three games and stripping the organization of a first-round pick after the Patriots were found to be videotaping Jets defensive coaches in Week 1.
Sources tell SI.com's Don Banks and Peter King that the league will hand down disciplinary action on Friday. The NFL has reportedly ruled out forcing the Pats to forfeit their 38-14 win over the Jets, but will "definitely" strip them of a first-day draft choice. If Belichick is suspended, he'll be banned from games and practices until the suspension is up, and will not be paid.

i hope the suspension will be following this game, because i wan't more than anything to see LT drop 150 yards on them and 2 scores. Oh and would it be in poor taste to say i would like to see merriman plant brady in the ground, like spike did to that kid in little giants; ya know so his body left an indent in the actual field.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:49 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

A first rounder and a suspension is a pretty hefty fine, I'd be totally cool with them pulling that on the Pats. Unfortunately they'll still have a first rounder this year because they have San Fran's but whatever...and haha I like the San Diego game hopes, I'm with out on all of those.