Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Philadelphia Eagles Team Forum

Philadelphia Eagles Team Forum Discuss the Eagles.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:40 PM    (permalink
Green Kool Aid
Rookie

Green Kool Aid hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Fortunately, I have solutions.

1. Let Kearse go: He's expensive, but this move weakens the team, so...

2. Sign Thomas(1) or Briggs(2): Look how much better the team is playing with a good WLB. Good outside LBs cut of a third of the field, regardless of what the Eagles opinions are. Plus, this move is actually cost-effective because now we...

3. Move Gocong back to D End: He's a cheap solution at an expensive position that is already on the team. This is what he excelled at in college, and might fit in well in our rotation.

4. Resign Stallworth: There isn't much else out there, and Bsaza is right, it would be a wasted pick.

5. Draft Landry or Griffin: Landry has the size to play strong safety. Griffin could play SS, but would be our future FS. Willis would also be a good eventual replacement for Trott.

These are just some early ideas. I am open to suggestions.
Green Kool Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:55 PM    (permalink
Eaglez.Fan
All-Pro

Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Kool Aid

2. Sign Thomas(1) or Briggs(2): Look how much better the team is playing with a good WLB. Good outside LBs cut of a third of the field, regardless of what the Eagles opinions are. Plus, this move is actually cost-effective because now we...

3. Move Gocong back to D End: He's a cheap solution at an expensive position that is already on the team. This is what he excelled at in college, and might fit in well in our rotation.

4. Resign Stallworth: There isn't much else out there, and Bsaza is right, it would be a wasted pick.

5. Draft Landry or Griffin: Landry has the size to play strong safety. Griffin could play SS, but would be our future FS. Willis would also be a good eventual replacement for Trott.

1 and 2- The only way, I'd like releasing Kearse, is if we work out all the numbers and we get Thomas (perferably) or Briggs to sign. Then since we know we'll have a good player so our D is better we can release Kearse.

3. I'm cool with that
4.Makes sense so yah
5. I'd much rather trade up for Reggie Nelson, his acelertion and speed woul dmake him porbably the fastest saftey and cud learn a greta deal from Dawk, cud make him amazing, with all his physical tools. But if not him then I'd like Willis
Old 01-10-2007, 04:53 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not a lot of time to comment here. I'm not a fan of cutting Kearse at this point. The cap hit may be too much right now. I do think this is Kearse's last season as an Eagle, though. Or at least his contract will be restructured significantly.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 05:37 PM    (permalink
Green Kool Aid
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglez.Fan
Quote:

1 and 2- The only way, I'd like releasing Kearse, is if we work out all the numbers and we get Thomas (perferably) or Briggs to sign. Then since we know we'll have a good player so our D is better we can release Kearse.

3. I'm cool with that
4.Makes sense so yah
5. I'd much rather trade up for Reggie Nelson, his acelertion and speed woul dmake him porbably the fastest saftey and cud learn a greta deal from Dawk, cud make him amazing, with all his physical tools. But if not him then I'd like Willis
Reggie Nelson is definitely in the mix talent-wise, but after the bowl-game, I don't think the Eagles have a shot.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:42 PM    (permalink
Green Kool Aid
Rookie

I forgot to mention that we should also sign another TE, also because I think it is LJ's last contract year. Most like Tony Gonzalez, but for way less cash, you can have Daniel Graham, who has won Super Bowls (he caught a TD against Philly). He blocks and catches passes. My guess is that NE releases him because they have Ben Watson, David Thomas, and Garrett Mills.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:51 PM    (permalink
sirsmokealot28
Rookie

sirsmokealot28 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i dont see defensive end being all that much of a need next season. kearse will be back and the team will most certainly keep a player of his talent level, who really isn't even that old yet. they will be able to rotate in and out 2 defensive lines that have played solid all season. Trent Cole led the NFL in sacks for much of the first half of the season, and Darren Howard has been given attention all season.

1st line:

Kearse -is a beast who when healthy is a lock for 10 sacks
Bunkley - has played well as a rookie and will likely replace darwin walker
Patterson - has had a few brilliant plays this season and will start
Howard - worth every dollar with the attention he demands. will roam more freely with kearse in lineup.

2nd line:

Cole
Walker
Thomas/Ramsey
McDougle

remember, before kearse went down, this team was 4-1. the d-line collapsed briefly there after, but rebounded late in the season to be pretty decent, even at effectively stopping the run. they didn't shut it down completely, but were a stretch better than they had been throughout the mid season.

i think our main concerns will be in the secondary. when 1 guy gets knocked out, we are vulnerable. taking a safety with a first round pick would be foolish unless you expected to get him on the field immediately.
a cornerback wouldn't be out of line with the first pick, followed by a safety, possibly a rb as an insurance policy, and we can always use help in the linebacker department.

replacing trotter and dawkins are key concerns

1st pick MLB
2nd pick CB
3rd pick S
4th pick RB
5th pick TE
6th pick WR/OL/DL
7th pick WR/OL/DL

would not at all be surprised to see the OL/DL go at any pick as andy reid is a firm believer in the trenches come first philosophy.

i squeeze nipples like pimples to get the puss, get it?
sirsmokealot28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 04:55 PM    (permalink
Dillen
Pro Bowler

Dillen hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsmokealot28
i dont see defensive end being all that much of a need next season. kearse will be back and the team will most certainly keep a player of his talent level, who really isn't even that old yet. they will be able to rotate in and out 2 defensive lines that have played solid all season. Trent Cole led the NFL in sacks for much of the first half of the season, and Darren Howard has been given attention all season.

1st line:

Kearse -is a beast who when healthy is a lock for 10 sacks
Bunkley - has played well as a rookie and will likely replace darwin walker
Patterson - has had a few brilliant plays this season and will start
Howard - worth every dollar with the attention he demands. will roam more freely with kearse in lineup.

2nd line:

Cole
Walker
Thomas/Ramsey
McDougle
Bunkley hasn't played at that well at all. He's done decent when given time, but that's it. I would love for him to start next year though.

I love Cole as the 3rd DE. He's very good against the run and when fresh is among the top pass rushers in the league. If him, Howard, and Kearse all get around equal time they'd be dominant.

I like Ramsey. I didn't like the pick at first but after I learned more and watched him I'm beginning to like him.

As for Thomas, who do you have at DT? Juqua Thomas? He plays DE. He's undersized for DE, but I'd really like to bring him back.

McDougle should be cut. I've defended him for the most part to keep him away from bust status but he hasn't done ANYTHING on the field his entire career.

Thanks to jkpigskin
Dillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 05:22 PM    (permalink
sirsmokealot28
Rookie

juqua thomas definately plays defensive tackle as well as some defensive end work. mcdougle is good as a 4th or 5th option, i dont see the neccesity in cutting him. also i dont know if sam rayburn will still be in the mix but he isn't horrible.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:12 PM    (permalink
Dillen
Pro Bowler

Quote:
juqua thomas definately plays defensive tackle as well as some defensive end work. mcdougle is good as a 4th or 5th option, i dont see the neccesity in cutting him. also i dont know if sam rayburn will still be in the mix but he isn't horrible.
You may be right on Juqua, I thought I saw him there once.

One thing that I really hate about JJ's scheme is that he wants every DT to be a 1 gap DT. Rayburn isn't quick. He was awesome in 04 when he just straight bullrushed just about every play he was in.

Thanks to jkpigskin
Old 01-12-2007, 09:56 PM    (permalink
Eaglez.Fan
All-Pro

Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Juqua Thomas was a beast this season, the few times that I've seen him on the field he was very good. He's a definite keeper IMO
Old 01-13-2007, 08:28 AM    (permalink
Green Kool Aid
Rookie

Sirsmokesalot should change his name to smokestoomuch, and it seems as if some are getting some second-hand effects.

Juqua Thomas at DT? Juqua is good as a backup, but because he has been forced to step up, in the games he is doing a good mike mamula impression of almost getting to the QB.

There is no way Kearse is coming back with his salary, and two knee injuries at the age of 30, especially with that tricky ankle of his (how many times did I see him limpimg off the field, clutching that ankle?).

Bunkley has hardly played well, mostly because he hardly played. We still don't know what he can really do.

And McDougle will definitely be cut.

Lastly, with the disrespectful way the Eagles treat LBs, there is next to no way they will draft one with their first pick, no matter how much we like Patrick Willis, Timmons, or H.B. Blades. Trott does need a backup and eventual replacement, but when Michael Lewis leaves, we will have zero SSs except for Considine (who is more of a situational FS or CB). If anything, the Eagles will be drafting a SS with their first pick, especially with the depth at that position in the draft.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:31 AM    (permalink
Green Kool Aid
Rookie

BTW, lets' worry about all that later.

I want to have the very last pick in the first round!

E-A-G-L-E-S

EAGLES!
Old 01-13-2007, 12:43 PM    (permalink
sirsmokealot28
Rookie

Quote:
Sirsmokesalot should change his name to smokestoomuch, and it seems as if some are getting some second-hand effects.

Juqua Thomas at DT? Juqua is good as a backup, but because he has been forced to step up, in the games he is doing a good mike mamula impression of almost getting to the QB.

There is no way Kearse is coming back with his salary, and two knee injuries at the age of 30, especially with that tricky ankle of his (how many times did I see him limpimg off the field, clutching that ankle?).

Bunkley has hardly played well, mostly because he hardly played. We still don't know what he can really do.

And McDougle will definitely be cut.

Lastly, with the disrespectful way the Eagles treat LBs, there is next to no way they will draft one with their first pick, no matter how much we like Patrick Willis, Timmons, or H.B. Blades. Trott does need a backup and eventual replacement, but when Michael Lewis leaves, we will have zero SSs except for Considine (who is more of a situational FS or CB). If anything, the Eagles will be drafting a SS with their first pick, especially with the depth at that position in the draft.

haha here we go with the **** talk. if you weren't stupid and had read my post instead of just commenting on it you'd have realized we were talking about juqua thomas as a 4th or 5th option, not a starting DT. yeah it'd be ideal to have guys as good as haynesworth and mcfarland all the way at the 5 spot but no you gotta work with guys like thomas.

secondly, there is no way they will waste yes i said WASTE a first round pick on a safety. these type of moves are reserved for teams like buffalo, washington, and oakland. a safety doesn't make enough of an impact on the game to warrant a first round pick, nor will they win or lose you a game, and the eagles know this. the eagles have always been good at finding top tier safeties in the later rounds of the draft (i.e. dawkins, lewis, considine)

even if mcdougle is cut, it doesn't matter as i had him on as the very last option at defensive end.....you can insert anyones name there.

lastly, kearse will not be cut. at this point it would be more costly to cut him and face penalties rather than just letting him play. at 30 he is still young, has a solid 4 to 5 years in him, and is still among the top 5 DE's in the league. if they were willing to dish out money for an OLD hugh douglas, they will certainly not purposely let go a playmaker like kearse. he's only had 1 really bad injury as an eagle, unlike mcnabb.

do your research and read posts before you just come making allegations. this was never an argument i this forum we were just cool heads discussing possibilities for the future of our team. NONE of us are actualy making these moves, so for you to grab validity in ANY statement written on this page makes YOU the moron.

Old 01-13-2007, 12:46 PM    (permalink
sirsmokealot28
Rookie

if the eagles and seahawks win, i'll be there.

Old 01-13-2007, 03:46 PM    (permalink
jonbrodo17
Rookie

jonbrodo17 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

-I would like to see howard move inside and cole and kearse at ends
-I would want patrick willis or landry
- The problem with Juqua Thomas is that he will get a big deal somewhere to play the 3-4 and i don't think the birdz would pay that

- i am also gonna b there in the nfc championship game(vs. seahawks not if they play da bears), then i am goin to miami if they win

GO BIRDZ WHOOP THOSE SAINTS!!!!!!!

sig by Jackalope

RIP VT Students 4/16/07

Vote McCain '08
jonbrodo17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 05:53 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I read on the red zone that William Thomas is a UFA, what are the Eagles' intentions when it comes to resigning him? Or is that out of date?

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:32 PM    (permalink
Dillen
Pro Bowler

Quote:
the eagles have always been good at finding top tier safeties in the later rounds of the draft (i.e. dawkins, lewis, considine)
Dawkins is a top tier safety and was a 2nd rounder. No one involved in the 2007 team is still here from the 06 draft. Lewis was a 2nd rounder and Considine was the first pick of the 2nd day, and they aren't even close to top tier safeties, and they weren't in the top tier of safety prospects.

Thanks to jkpigskin
Old 01-13-2007, 07:19 PM    (permalink
sirsmokealot28
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillen
Quote:
the eagles have always been good at finding top tier safeties in the later rounds of the draft (i.e. dawkins, lewis, considine)
Dawkins is a top tier safety and was a 2nd rounder. No one involved in the 2007 team is still here from the 06 draft. Lewis was a 2nd rounder and Considine was the first pick of the 2nd day, and they aren't even close to top tier safeties, and they weren't in the top tier of safety prospects.
brian dawkins is not top tier? he is top 5. michael lewis was 2nd on draft day only to roy williams, b/c of a congenital heart condition, and was deemed an "unsafe" pick by many teams, the eagles saw oppurtunity. by later rounds i mean not a 1st round pick, which the eagles will never use on a Safety.

also, if you were watching the game, i found it interesting that on the opening saints drive, the announcer called out juqua thomas as "playing outstanding football as of late"

Old 01-13-2007, 07:20 PM    (permalink
sirsmokealot28
Rookie

sorry misread that u say he is top tier, but he wasn't a 1st round pick, which is what i was getting at.

Old 01-13-2007, 07:21 PM    (permalink
Dillen
Pro Bowler

Quote:
brian dawkins is not top tier? he is top 5. michael lewis was 2nd on draft day only to roy williams, b/c of a congenital heart condition, and was deemed an "unsafe" pick by many teams, the eagles saw oppurtunity. by later rounds i mean not a 1st round pick, which the eagles will never use on a Safety.

also, if you were watching the game, i found it interesting that on the opening saints drive, the announcer called out juqua thomas as "playing outstanding football as of late"
Quote:
I'm guessing you didn't see that?

I know Michael Lewis had the heart problems that made him fall to the second round. He's isn't anyhing special. Williams, Ed Reed, Mike Rumph, Tank Williams, and Lamont Thompson were drafted before him.

I don't know if the JT thing was directed to me, we all know that Juqua has been awesome this year.

And Considine just got dominated.

Thanks to jkpigskin
Old 01-13-2007, 09:17 PM    (permalink
sirsmokealot28
Rookie

Quote:
sorry misread that u say he is top tier, but he wasn't a 1st round pick, which is what i was getting at.
yeah i did misread it. you must not have seen this one.

and the juqua thing was aimed at the guy who said something along the lines of "juqua thomas are you kidding me?"

Old 01-13-2007, 10:21 PM    (permalink
Dillen
Pro Bowler

No one has any idea how ******* pissed off I am. Jesus. *******. Christ.

Thanks to jkpigskin
Old 01-13-2007, 10:41 PM    (permalink
Dillen
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver
I read on the red zone that William Thomas is a UFA, what are the Eagles' intentions when it comes to resigning him? Or is that out of date?
He isn't a free agent. He was signed to an extension years ago. He's an Eagle through 08 unless cut.

JJ needs to be gone. GET A BIG ******* DT. Oh what, there was Keyonta Marshall? Who was a new version of Hollis Thomas? You cut him to make room for another 280 pound DL? **** you.

Thanks to jkpigskin
Old 01-14-2007, 12:24 AM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver
He isn't a free agent. He was signed to an extension years ago. He's an Eagle through 08 unless cut.

JJ needs to be gone. GET A BIG *********** DT. Oh what, there was Keyonta Marshall? Who was a new version of Hollis Thomas? You cut him to make room for another 280 pound DL? *********** you.
EXACTLY why I wanted Haloti Ngata instead of Bunk. I knew when we punted the game was over. Our defense can't shut down that run game in only 3 downs. We should have gone for it. That 4th and 10 conversion brought me up so high and then the false start made me feel like I had just been #### on. Major buzzkill we should have gone for it on 4th and 15.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:24 AM    (permalink
Green Kool Aid
Rookie

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Actually, I was just trying to do some innocent ribbing, but now is a bad time to talk trash, as I am a sore loser.

Besides, there's no point in arguing with someone who openly contradicts themselves.

BTW, anyone who brags about puffing's got nothing but lungs full of some seedy oregano.