Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Tennessee Titans Team Forum

Tennessee Titans Team Forum Discuss the Titans

Old 04-17-2012, 11:20 PM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great stuff Mighty. I watched a bit of Fangupo. He looked like a thicker Jurrell Casey, even kinda moved like him. I've watched some obscure guys one Regis Micanor from Miami. Been a bit since I saw the vid, but he looked like another possibly late round DT.

I had Nigel Bradham in the mid rounds of one of my mocks. I really liked what I saw from him and I think he could play the will spot.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:47 AM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree, really impressed by Fangupo I hadn't watched any film on him prior to this. Most intriguing guys I watched today are Akiem Hicks and jake bequett.

Hicks just has mounds of potential. Looks like Reggie White playing DE and a faster Big Al playing DT, hard to say what he'd look like against better competition, but the potential is there.

Earlier I said Bequette reminded me somewhat of KVB, and he does, but now that I think of it he's more like a slightly quicker Dave Ball.

I'm fairly pleased with the middle round picks for the defensive line this year, maybe take one playmaker who will impact us right away and take 2 middle rounders to make plays here and there
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:02 AM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Jerry Grey wants to stop the run, but surely realizes the importance of DT's pushing the pocket, then Fangupo and Ta'Amu have to be on the radar. The Dave Ball comparison for Bequette popped in my mind too. There's many DE's I'd rather have, but Bequette would be a solid mid rounder. I'll have to check out Hicks.

Edit : For Beqeutte, I knew his 40 wasn't great, but he turns the arc very well. I looked up his shuttle and 3 cone, and those #'s are with the best this year and especially impressive given his size.

Last edited by Bobo : 04-18-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:41 AM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm really interested to see what type of DT Gray takes and how early.

As for Bequette, he may never be an elite player. But he'll be a solid rotational guy that can make plays, something Dave Ball does for us. He could develop into a very good player, but I at least feel confident he'd at least contribute in the rotation.

Check out Akiem Hicks bobo, easiest way for him is to go to youtube search "Akiem Hicks Regina" and two pretty long videos should be near the top of the list. He's #99 and his teammate that's worth a look is #90
Old 04-18-2012, 12:15 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I haven't been as in to the draft this year as I normally am, but here are some of the guys that intrigue me for the Titans:
QB (I have an unhealthy and probably irrational hate for Rusty Smith)
- Nick Foles
- Russell Wilson
FB
- Chad Diehl
- Cody Johnson
WR
- Michael Floyd
- Rueben Randle
- Stephen Hill
- Alshon Jeffrey
- Brian Quick
- Marvin McNutt
- Tommy Streeter
- Jairus Wright
- Chris Owusu
- Greg Childs
TE
- Coby Fleener
- Dwayne Allen
- Orson Charles
- George Bryan
OG
- David DeCastro
- Kelechi Osemele
- Nate Potter
- Kevin Zeitler
- Brandon Washington
- Lucas Nix
OC
- Peter Konz
- Ben Jones
- Mike Brewster
- David Molk
- William Vlachos
- Moe Petrus
DE
- Quinton Coples
- Melvin Ingram
- Chandler Jones
- Vinny Curry
- Jared Crick
- Jake Bequette
- Malik Jackson
DT
- Fletcher Cox
- Dontari Poe
- Michael Brockers
LB
- Zach Brown
- Lavonte David
- Sean Spence
- Tank Carder
CB
- Stephon Gilmore
- Casey Hayward
- DeQuan Menzie
- Omar Bolden
Old 04-18-2012, 01:45 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

From Cash moneys list
QB
- Nick Foles - One of the sleepers in the draft, worth a shot late. Looked like a 1st rounder at times, has all the skills played on a really bad team

FB
- Chad Diehl - lays the hammer
- Cody Johnson - versatile, more of a tweener than true FB
WR
- Michael Floyd - love his as a player, but don't want to pair him with britt
- Brian Quick - one of the few WR's I wouldn't mind taking in round 3
- Tommy Streeter - too raw.
- Jairus Wright - could be one of the most underrated in the draft
- Chris Owusu - too injury prone
- Greg Childs - up and down career, i think he'll go higher than he should
TE
- Coby Fleener - doesn't block enough
- Dwayne Allen - my favorite TE in the class, reminds me of Alge
OG
- David DeCastro - elite prospect
- Kelechi Osemele - raw, but great skills
- Kevin Zeitler - can play guard and or center. and even RT.
OC
- Peter Konz - has injury history
- Ben Jones - not a huge fan, kind of one dimensional
- Mike Brewster - smart, i think bruce could mold him to be great
- David Molk - see brewster
DE
- Quinton Coples - I don't know if he'll ever round the corner, but worth a shot at 20 if he's there
- Melvin Ingram - Not a fan, I just dont see enough to translate to a 43
- Chandler Jones - too raw, will be taken too high
- Vinny Curry - one of my favs, high motor. One of the most complete DEs
- Jared Crick - Like him best at DT, huge talent
- Jake Bequette - Love him
- Malik Jackson - love him
DT
- Fletcher Cox - love him
- Dontari Poe - potential, but not a huge fan
- Michael Brockers - see poe
LB
- Zach Brown - plays too soft, but very athletic
- Lavonte David - physical, fast. Best LB in class
- Sean Spence - my 2nd favorte LB in class
- Tank Carder - fell on boards, but still a good prospect
CB
- Stephon Gilmore - love
- Casey Hayward - love
- DeQuan Menzie - not a fan
[/quote]
Old 04-18-2012, 02:31 PM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightytitan9 View Post
I'm really interested to see what type of DT Gray takes and how early.
Same here. They waited for value last year. Casey was more of a run stuffer, but he could move ok, definitely not a 3-4 NT type. Klug was the one gap rusher. Not so sure about the guy from Auburn. He was avg size, and I think 40/SS/3cone/etc #'s were pretty good. I don't remember being wowed by what little I saw of him, they did talk about his best football being ahead of him though...but I'm not betting on him being much help.

They went after a big guy at DT in FA, Smith. But they used their best one gap DT (Jones) in the wrong spot most of the time (hopefully they learned from that).

So maybe they wait for DT's? Or maybe they say it's about time to take one higher (can't forget what Haynesworth did for this D)? I won't be surprised either way, but I think we've seen they like a mix of players.

With the Shuan Smith benching and being 30+, he may be gone. Marks has not played very well. So if I had to guess, I'd guess they'll go for a big, powerful guy, hopefully who can rush and/or get inside push. Would they like Poe and hope they can make him a pass rusher with his athleticism? Maybe they think Brockers can push the pocket? Maybe they wait later and go for Ta'Amu, Fangupo, Thompson.

Maybe they miss what Jason Jones did do and they go for a guy like Worthy, Still, Reyes, Wolfe, Howard, etc. And we can't forget the possibility of DE's that can play inside to rush the passer.

Lots of what ifs, but the good part is there are lots of answers to those what ifs.

Last edited by Bobo : 04-18-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:19 PM    (permalink
MicktheGreat
Veteran

MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
Same here. They waited for value last year. Casey was more of a run stuffer, but he could move ok, definitely not a 3-4 NT type. Klug was the one gap rusher. Not so sure about the guy from Auburn. He was avg size, and I think 40/SS/3cone/etc #'s were pretty good. I don't remember being wowed by what little I saw of him, they did talk about his best football being ahead of him though...but I'm not betting on him being much help.

They went after a big guy at DT in FA, Smith. But they used their best one gap DT (Jones) in the wrong spot most of the time (hopefully they learned from that).

So maybe they wait for DT's? Or maybe they say it's about time to take one higher (can't forget what Haynesworth did for this D)? I won't be surprised either way, but I think we've seen they like a mix of players.

With the Shuan Smith benching and being 30+, he may be gone. Marks has not played very well. So if I had to guess, I'd guess they'll go for a big, powerful guy, hopefully who can rush and/or get inside push. Would they like Poe and hope they can make him a pass rusher with his athleticism? Maybe they think Brockers can push the pocket? Maybe they wait later and go for Ta'Amu, Fangupo, Thompson.

Maybe they miss what Jason Jones did do and they go for a guy like Worthy, Still, Reyes, Wolfe, Howard, etc. And we can't forget the possibility of DE's that can play inside to rush the passer.

Lots of what ifs, but the good part is there are lots of answers to those what ifs.
I'd be very happy if we got Brandon Thompson in the 2nd Round. He's got the skills to be a true run-stuffing DT and would allow us to cut ties with Shaun Smith, who was very average last season. Casey and Thompson would be a good early-down DT combo, allowing a fresh Klug to come in on passing situations. A DT-rotation of Casey, Thompson, Klug, Douzable, and Clayton seems pretty good to me and very young.
MicktheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:46 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

I love the thought of Thompson in the 2nd, but I'd rather cut Marks than Smith. He can be a good rotational guy. Clayton is trash IMO and I've heard Douzable is supposed to play more DE for us.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:53 PM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

I like Thompson, itd be nice to see him rush the passer better, that's my only question on his value.

You'd think Marks would at least offer more pass rush than Smith, but I didn't see it. Smith can at least take on double teams, Marks struggles to handle one guy. I could see Smith sticking over Marks, but I'm not excited to see either on the roster. That makes me want to look at lat round DT's.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:29 PM    (permalink
MicktheGreat
Veteran

MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I love the thought of Thompson in the 2nd, but I'd rather cut Marks than Smith. He can be a good rotational guy. Clayton is trash IMO and I've heard Douzable is supposed to play more DE for us.
It wasn't clear in my original post, but I'd rather us cut Marks and Smith. Marks has never done anything for us as a 2nd round pick; and Smith was very average, even though he really only has one job (i.e. take up space).

I don't think we've seen enough of Clayton to be able to form a real opinion about what he brings to the table. I know that the coaches are/were very high on him, particularly DL-coach Rocker. I'd be happy giving him another year -- at 7th round $$$ -- to either prove himself or work his way out of a job. I'm not sure where Douzable's going to end up. Gray keeps hyping his versatility, and he's definitely big enough to play DT in our scheme. (Plus, I'm pretty sure that he played mostly DT with the Rams & Jags.)
MicktheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:03 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

I think it'd be nice to keep Smith simply because he's 325+ and I think he'll play better in his second year in the system. I want to see us run a 4-3 D with a NT, much like New Orleans did a while ago.

La'Roi Glover was only around 280, but he played the under tackle position with Norman Hand playing a NT position in the 4-3 defense.

Tampa ran this style of line also when they had Booger McFarland at NT and Warren Sapp was playing an undertackle position.

Jurrell Casey is more of a NT than UT, Klug is UT, Smith is NT, Douzable would fit an UT role, so we could draft either a NT or UT and set the line accordingly.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:32 AM    (permalink
Bobertchin
Veteran

Bobertchin wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Bobertchin wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Bobertchin wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Bobertchin wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Bobertchin wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Bobertchin wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Bobertchin wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Bobertchin wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Bobertchin wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Bobertchin wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Bobertchin wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashmoneyDrew View Post
I've gotta be honest, once it became clear the Titans had 0 shot at DeCastro, I just kinda became "meh" about the Titans and the draft. I'll still watch, but I'm just kind of in a weird place about it this year.
Wow. That set on one player, huh? I agree that he would be the ideal pick for the Titans, but I still like our options at 20. I'd take any of these guys and be happy:

Wright (LOVE this guy)
Perry
Brockers
Barron
Keuchley (OK, unlikely...but still)
Glenn

I think one of those guys will be there, at least.
Bobertchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:35 AM    (permalink
Bobertchin
Veteran

Bobertchin wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Bobertchin wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Bobertchin wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Bobertchin wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Bobertchin wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Bobertchin wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Bobertchin wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Bobertchin wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Bobertchin wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Bobertchin wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Bobertchin wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Oh yeah, I really like Melvin Ingram too. I get why some people don't think he's a great fit for the Titans, but I think he would fit almost any team. He plays bigger than his size, and while he still seems a bit raw to me (needs to work on his hands and balance in particular...has short arms, but that can't be fixed), he just makes plays. Love his instincts and aggressiveness.
Bobertchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:14 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

My current general thoughts, we won't take a DE round one unless Coples is there. I think a lot of the guys will be there round 2 if we want one
Old 04-19-2012, 03:27 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
My current general thoughts, we won't take a DE round one unless Coples is there. I think a lot of the guys will be there round 2 if we want one
Yeah, I think it'll be Gilmore or the top DT on their board.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:32 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

I agree, unless DeCastro somehow falls which I don't see happening. There's just no value at DE, and a lot of people like to bump DE's up because of their position but in the real draft they fall
Old 04-20-2012, 01:17 AM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

My only thing with the DE's is I really like the DT's better in round 2-3 than the DE's. Of course a few of those DE's could be there at 52, I wouldn't be surprised, but it seems good DT's will be more spread out through rounds 2-3 and even later. This is where the trade down scenario seems great.

I'm thinking more of a pass rush DE though. It's possible we won't need one. IF Wimbly is worth the money. IF Morgan improves. IF they would just put Ayers hand in the dirt more (like they said they would do, but didn't). My only problem is that's a lot of ifs lol. I'd feel better stacking up rushing talent outside. We can have 4-5 DE's up and a couple usually can slide inside on NB snaps.

It's still just a big guessing game. You have a need, but you don't want to pay too much. But will you get hurt by being too cheap?

Right now my best idea for outside pass rush w/o getting one at 20 and not getting that unlikely trade down scenario, is give a 2nd or maybe 3rd for Bruce Irvin. He looks like the closest thing to a guaranteed pass rusher in this draft. If they don't view him that highly, then maybe Bequette or Massaquoi later, but I don't think anyone would feel as strong about their pass rush abilities.

Maybe I harp too much on pass rush, but the problem is we can't get much worse so it seems we have to invest more.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:05 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:
My only thing with the DE's is I really like the DT's better in round 2-3 than the DE's. Of course a few of those DE's could be there at 52, I wouldn't be surprised, but it seems good DT's will be more spread out through rounds 2-3 and even later. This is where the trade down scenario seems great.

I'm thinking more of a pass rush DE though. It's possible we won't need one. IF Wimbly is worth the money. IF Morgan improves. IF they would just put Ayers hand in the dirt more (like they said they would do, but didn't). My only problem is that's a lot of ifs lol. I'd feel better stacking up rushing talent outside. We can have 4-5 DE's up and a couple usually can slide inside on NB snaps.

It's still just a big guessing game. You have a need, but you don't want to pay too much. But will you get hurt by being too cheap?

Right now my best idea for outside pass rush w/o getting one at 20 and not getting that unlikely trade down scenario, is give a 2nd or maybe 3rd for Bruce Irvin. He looks like the closest thing to a guaranteed pass rusher in this draft. If they don't view him that highly, then maybe Bequette or Massaquoi later, but I don't think anyone would feel as strong about their pass rush abilities.

Maybe I harp too much on pass rush, but the problem is we can't get much worse so it seems we have to invest more.
trust me, I'm a huge fan of the D-Line it seems like every year all I want in the draft is D-Lineman. Years ago it was JPP, last year I was really high on Robert Quinn. When we took VY i wanted Mario (before the draft)

But at #20 unless Coples is there, it's too high. I'm fairly confident Curry, Mercilus, Branch, Perry, Jones or Irvin will be there in round 2 (not all, but at least one)

In mocks and our ratings a lot of people always overvalue the DE position and in the draft they seem to fall, but it's where they should go. Overdrafting a one dimensional DE in round one isn't the way to become a better team.

It's funny you should mention Ayers, the other day I was wondering if Gray would get created some downs and we'd see Ayers as the DE and Wimbley playing OLB where they both go after the QB

Last edited by mightytitan9 : 04-20-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:13 PM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

I'm not so sure any of the DE's we're talking about are truly one dimensional, aside from possibly Irvin (and he shows some strength on tape) or Branch. Either way, at 20 I'd lean towards the dimension of pass rush. Kearse and Wimbly will never be labeled run stuffers, but I think they are very valuable. Mario Williams or Julius Peppers would be great to have, but that "complete" DE won't be there at 20. Morgan is a more all around type (didn't look to be an elite pass rusher), and maybe Upshaw, Jones, and Curry are similar. Upshaw is apparently falling and the other two are possibly 2nd round guys. I end up wondering if they are likely to help enough with pass rush.

Branch looked the worst against the run from what I remember, but I seem to remember the others not looking that bad (been a bit since I watched them though). But I remember reading more than once how bad Babin was against the run, and I watched him closely here and I totally disagreed with that statement. Sometimes I think technique can be taught, and sometimes I think we look at weight #'s too much and say a guy can't stop the run. Either way, the way the roster looks, I think we can get another guy who's strength is the pass rush more so than the run.

Ayers was underutilized last year, and they could definitely bring something with he and Wimbly. The coaches even said he needs to be used as a pass rusher more, and they never did it much. From his college tape, he can do it well. Maybe they didn't want too much on his plate as a rookie, or maybe they didn't want to work him too hard. Maybe they wanted to give the others players reps. Who knows, but if they don't use his pass rush ability, I think that's a huge waste. Without that ability, he wasn't even worth a 2nd round pick at Sam.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:35 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Here's my list of mid-late round (4-7) guys and FA's who I think are worth a shot and could turn into something. Some guys I haven't mentioned, not trying to list the same ones twice

QB
*I really wouldn't want to take a QB in the draft, but here's a few guys I like
Nick Foles Arizona 6045 243 Arizona
GJ Kinne 6011 234 Tulsa

RB
Again, not high but worth a shot really late or as FA's
Bryce Brown 5114 224 Kansas State
Darrell Scott 6001 231 South Florida
Foswhitt Whittaker 5092 193 Texas
Broderick Green 6003 238 Arkansas

WR
Joe Adams 5106 179 Arkansas
TY Hilton 5095 183 Toledo
Junior Hemingway 6007 225 Michigan
Jarius Wright 5096 182 Arkansas
Jeff Fuller 6034 223 Texas AM
Dale Moss 6032 213 South Dakota St
BJ Cunningham 6011 211 Michigan St
Gerrell Robinson 6031 227 Arizona State

CB:
Chris Greenwood 6012 193 Albion - Ran a 4.41 and 43" vertical @ michigan pro day, has 13 career interceptions. He's likely moved himself into the 4th
Ryan Steed 5104 195 Furman - 14 career interceptions
Coryell Judie 5114 194 Texas AM - Only managed to play in 7 games, but has the tools to be a shutdown CB
Josh Norman 6003 197 Coastal Carolina - Rumors are he's really been sliding

DE
Brian McNally 6033 262 New Hampshire - Not fast, but accounted for 28.5 sacks, had 27 benches, and a 37" vertical
Scott Solomon 6031 261 Rice - Had 34 benches and 35" vertical at combine. Also had 24 sacks in college
Julian Miller 6033 256 WV - Accounted for 42.5 TFL and 27.5 sacks in college
Frank Alexander 6034 270 OU - 44 TFL and 20.5 sacks. Good athlete with potential
Jacquis Smith 6026 253 Missouri - Underrated IMO, didn't produce a ton in the spread of the Big 12. Very good athlete
Adrian Hamilton 6024 250 Prairie View AM - Very good athlete, had 22 sacks last season
Cordarro Law 6014 254 Southern Miss- 54 TFL and 27.5 sacks
Old 04-20-2012, 01:42 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:

Branch looked the worst against the run from what I remember, but I seem to remember the others not looking that bad (been a bit since I watched them though). But I remember reading more than once how bad Babin was against the run, and I watched him closely here and I totally disagreed with that statement. Sometimes I think technique can be taught, and sometimes I think we look at weight #'s too much and say a guy can't stop the run. Either way, the way the roster looks, I think we can get another guy who's strength is the pass rush more so than the run.
I've always been a fan of Branch, and I think he looked horrible against the run in the spread. But I loved what I saw from him against more pro style offenses.

If there's a DE that they feel is worthy of that selection then they can take him, but personally, I think the DE's available are more worthy of the 28-60 spot than the #20 spot. My personal favorites are Branch and Curry, and they've kind of fallen behind Chandler Jones and Shea McClellin (who knows why) on most people boards.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:42 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

I think we'll grab Gilmore if he's there and if recent history is any indication, Alshon Jeffrey will be our 2nd round selection
Old 04-20-2012, 08:05 PM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

The one thing I remember most about Branch is he showed elite rush skills as far as burst and turning the arc. He seemed to change direction well too. Not much smaller than Kearse and bigger than Wimbly...so it's hard to knock him too much there. I remember him being pushed around, but like you said, maybe it was more related to the schemes being played.

Frank Alexander looked like a really solid late round DE. Looked a bit faster than he tests, his size is good, and his arm length is great. And he produced. Draft Scout and Scott don't have him rated too high, and honestly, I'm not sure why. Maybe it was his false alarm heart condition at the combine?

I'm warming up a bit to the Gilmore/Kirkpatrick idea. Value is one of the main things going for that pick. But I'd smile a little bigger if I heard a d-lineman's name called that I like. But there again, we should have lots of options this year making the chances better for this being a good draft.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:45 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

I like Branch much more than most, and to me he's the most natural pass rusher in the class. Bruce Irvin and Vinny Curry are next.

I agree, I think a good d-line makes it 10 times easier for the DBs to look good. I think we may look more for the playmaker in Gilmore if he's there than Kirkpatrick, Kirkpatrick had 3 career ints at Alabama and that concerns me coming from a college CB.

I'm still very indecisive on the first round selection, and I guess probably still will be come thursday. I'll probably go into the draft hoping if we draft a DE it's Coples or Branch. If it's a DT hoping it's Cox (although likely gone), Brockers or Worthy. If DB I hope it's Gilmore

All In all, I'm hoping most for a trade down in which I wouldnt mind grabbing Branch or Curry