Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Tennessee Titans Team Forum

Tennessee Titans Team Forum Discuss the Titans

Old 12-21-2008, 07:47 PM    (permalink
CDub
Veteran

CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wasn't mentioning the act to bring up the charity $, what the towel represents across the country to other teams fans, or as a reflection on the Titans organization or it's fans - the reason I brought it up was because of what it means to the players and the reaction that they will have to him stomping on it. The players are very much aware of the history of the towel and take great pride in representing it. The players will desperately want a rematch so that they can have the chance to show him the error of his ways.

I deperately want a rematch because I too feel that the Steelers are a better team (especially defensively) than what they showed today. And because it will mean we didn't lose our first game.... ;)
CDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:50 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't have a huge problem with it. It pisses me off to no end, but its fair game as a symbol.

And I get that most people, most likely White, have no idea the history of the towel itself. It seems very disrespectful to be stomping on it when you know what purpose it serves, and that its creator is a legend in Pittsburgh that recently passed away.

I'd see it as alot worse if I thought white new this, but really its just a heat of the moment kind of thing. The players had to hate seeing those towels in huge numbers in their house.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:55 PM    (permalink
CDub
Veteran

CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzTitan View Post
Steelers fans should leave the towel stuff for home games anyway. Even though I believe the towel used wasn't a proper one, I think it representing a real one is good enough to get the point across - this is the Titans house, and we don't want this in here.

Really though, it's just a form of trash talk, it's not like a flag or anything. It's a sport/game, not war. I like gimmicks like this in sport but that's all it is, a gimmick. One that is kinda asking for attention really, even if it does go towards a good cause. Steelers fans should really feel more frustrated about the loss.
If you don't want it in your house then get your fans to buy more tickets so we can't.;) But then again Steelers fans are nation wide and are usually willing to overpay to go to games and support their team.
CDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:56 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I by no means meant no disrespect on my comments about White, or Bulluck. I honestly love Keith Bulluck, but what I saw was classless. In the heat of battle or not, you dont do that to something with such a rich history, and the creator is dead. I know it is fair game, but there is some things that you can prevent from doing.

I give you guys real props. You guys gave us the old school asswhopping that we havent had since the Eagle game. You guys are the best team in the AFC and you proved it. Maybe if end up playing again it will be a different story, but I sure know it will be a great game.

But great job on your victory and I meant no disrespect on my comments about White. I was just pissed that he had to be a classless winner. That was my only problem with the whole game. You guys beat us fair and square and I give you all the props in the world.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:07 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hines, you can keep your hate for White but you should give Bulluck another chance. He just held the towel up to the camera and said some unaudible words. You should be more mad at Bo Scaife if anybody.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:10 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooMonkey View Post
Hines, you can keep your hate for White but you should give Bulluck another chance. He just held the towel up to the camera and said some unaudible words. You should be more mad at Bo Scaife if anybody.
I am more mad at Scaife and White because what they did was disrespectful. Bulluck is on my **** list, but he will probably get off soon. I like the dude too much.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:10 PM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
I don't have a huge problem with it. It pisses me off to no end, but its fair game as a symbol.

And I get that most people, most likely White, have no idea the history of the towel itself. It seems very disrespectful to be stomping on it when you know what purpose it serves, and that its creator is a legend in Pittsburgh that recently passed away.

I'd see it as alot worse if I thought white new this, but really its just a heat of the moment kind of thing. The players had to hate seeing those towels in huge numbers in their house.
Exactly. But it also comes down to being disrespected as a team. Few were picking the Titans despite the better W/L and the fact it was at home. I think the ESPN had every state but TN picking the Steelers to win. I'm not sure how different that would have been with KVB and AH playing, probably not at all. Stomping on the towel is probably as much directed to the media etc than the Steelers, maybe even more so. It seems every week the media have a new #1 other than the Titans and this was a statement for that.

LenDale and MJD go back and forth with USC vs UCLA stuff, it's in the same kind of category as that. Trashtalk, except in a visual form. I don't see it changing the next matchup, if there is one. If you don't already play your hardest in the AFCC game against a team that beat you up for the #1 seed, I can't see disrespecting an icon offering much of a boost.

I'm sure Steelers fans will up the rivalry and it will no doubt magnify the pain or joy for Steelers fans if they play in the AFCC, but I can't see it influencing the game at all from the POV of the players.

Last edited by OzTitan : 12-21-2008 at 08:18 PM.
OzTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:12 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Quote:
Exactly. But it also comes down to being disrespected as a team. Few were picking the Titans despite the better W/L and the fact it was at home. I think the ESPN had every state but TN picking the Titans to win. I'm not sure how different that would have been with KVB and AH playing, probably not at all. Stomping on the towel is probably as much directed to the media etc than the Steelers, maybe even more so. It seems every week the media have a new #1 other than the Titans and this was a statement for that.

LenDale and MJD go back and forth with USC vs UCLA stuff, it's in the same kind of category as that. Trashtalk, except in a visual form. I don't see it changing the next matchup, if there is one. If you don't already play your hardest in the AFCC game against a team that beat you up for the #1 seed, I can't see disrespecting an icon offering much of a boost.

I'm sure Steelers fans will up the rivalry and it will no doubt magnify the pain or joy for Steelers fans if they play in the AFCC, but I can't see it influencing the game at all from the POV of the players.
I dont think this stomping incident makes us a rivalry. Us as fans are pissed that your team did it, but we wont consider you a rivalry like Cinci, Cleveland, BMore, NE, or Dallas.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:19 PM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, that could change soon. Steelers and Titans have some playoff history, and Steelers and Oilers go back a bit.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:22 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I completely agree this does nothing to change the game. If you need any more motivation for an AFC Championship game your in the wrong game.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:24 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the Titans, Steelers, and Ravens were well on their way to becoming a great triumvirate rivalry before the divisions were realigned. Now the Ravens and Steelers still are obviously, but the Titans aren't of course.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:29 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Can we replace Cincy with Tennessee?

Old 12-21-2008, 08:31 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey, we Titans fans pitched a fit about Carolina stealing our recently created "Smash 'n Dash" nickname, so we can understand where ya'll are coming from - especially after considering the apparent history and social ties that the towel represents in Pittsburgh. I don't blame ya'll what-so-ever for being angry at what LenDale did - we all agree it was a punk move. LenWhale is a bit of a douche. I just want ya'll to see his douche baggery in context. I had no clue that the Terrible Towel proceeds went to a charity, that it was invented by a prominent person, and that that person just recently died. It only adds insult to injury to demean the towel after it's inventor recently passed away. I refuse to believe that LenWhale would have stomped the towel had he known it's history, and I do know that Jeff Fisher will be all over LenDale and Scaife for their behavior. Fish understands the true impact of what they did, and he'll educate the disorderly players.

But, while I won't defend young players like LenWhale and Scaife, Bulluck doesn't deserve to be called classless. He held up the dirty towel as a symbol of his team's accomplishment. He got caught up in the heat of the moment, and that one instance should not stain his reputation of being a class act.

This is a guy who's been one of, if not the, most under-rated defensive players in the NFL over his career. He's been on defenses that were ranked 32nd in the league and defenses that were ranked Top 5 in the league. Yet, he still played at a high level and has been the most productive all-around LB's over the past 5 seasons. He was here when the Titans were competiting in the playoffs, to slipping into cap hell, to moving into rebuilding mode, and now finally has seen the team and defense return to being among the best in the league.

He's the leader of the defense of the team that just upset the #1 defense in the NFL in front of the home crowd. No doubt a pinnacle of the season for him, and the game that truly validates what his team has done. His gesture wasn't a symbol of arrogance like LenDale's was. His was a symbol of accomplishment and validation. I ask that ya'll don't hold it against him.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:45 PM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

Like Bulluck said in his post game quotes - he doesn't care. Bulluck is a pissed off man right now and he doesn't care if feelings get hurt. He's getting on in age and he wants a ring badly, you can tell. He's pissed off about playing the underdog when the Titans probably shouldn't, he's pissed about not going to Hawaii (again), he's pissed off when the team overlooks an opponent like NYJ and Houston and loses. Bulluck has always been a straight talker but this season he's playing and talking angry. One gets the impression he's putting all he has left in this season.

As he said in his quotes, he has great respect for the Steelers and wasn't trying to be disrespectful, he just wants to let it be known the Titans intend on "stomping" anyone who comes in this playoffs. That's what he said, anyway. Bulluck wasn't being a punk about it like LenDale. More or less the same act though I guess *shrug*.

There's a picture of Keith stomping on the towel and Hope is looking onwards with a bit of a smirk on his face. He got a ring in Pittsburgh, so I'm sure it was somewhat of an odd moment for him.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:22 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinesWardJr View Post
I am more mad at Scaife and White because what they did was disrespectful. Bulluck is on my **** list, but he will probably get off soon. I like the dude too much.
Steelers disrespected the Cowboys after the win, what goes around comes around...I was glad to see the Titans put an emphasis on this game, after the Steelers won it wasn't alot of respect passed around, we read all the quotes, so I just wanted to see how Steelers fans or players would take this loss.

It is what it is, but the Steelers have had their fare share of rubbing it in, it was their turn this week and that's all there is to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:30 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Steelers disrespected the Cowboys after the win, what goes around comes around...I was glad to see the Titans put an emphasis on this game, after the Steelers won it wasn't alot of respect passed around, we read all the quotes, so I just wanted to see how Steelers fans or players would take this loss.

It is what it is, but the Steelers have had their fare share of rubbing it in, it was their turn this week and that's all there is to it.
What exactly did Pittsburgh do? I didnt catch it.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:58 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great job on the win guys. We got the ass-whooping of the season.

But yeah, White, Scaife, and Kearse (who blew his nose on the towel) have no idea of what they just did. Last time someone disrespected the towel (Houshmandzadeh cleaning his shoe with one) we went to Cincy in the first round of the playoffs, beat them, played an extremely physical game, accidentally tore two of Carson Palmer's ligaments, and then won three more games as visitors before becoming champions.

Most of the starters are still there, other than Joey Porter. James Harrison, however, has a mean temper, and Woodley is better than Haggans. If we play each other again, those guys are going to be extremely fired up. It'd be a great game to watch.

But for the moment, enjoy the win. You guys simply outplayed us.

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:05 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And as for what the Terrible Towel means,:

"The Terrible Towel is a gimmick created for the encouragement of the Pittsburgh Steelers, an American football team in the National Football League (NFL). Created in 1975 by late Steelers radio broadcaster Myron Cope, the Towel has since become "arguably the best-known fan symbol of any major pro sports team".[1] Since its invention, The Terrible Towel has spread in popularity; fans often take their Towel to famous sites while on vacation. The Towel has been taken to the peak of Mount Everest and seen on Saturday Night Live. It is widely recognized as a symbol of the Steelers and the city of Pittsburgh.[2][3]

Proceeds from sales of the Towel have raised over US$2 million for a Pennsylvania school which cares for people with mental retardation and physical disabilities. Terrible Towel is credited with being the first "rally towel", its success has spawned similar trends.[4] Numerous versions have been produced; all are black and gold in color with the words "Myron Cope's Official The Terrible Towel" printed on the front."

So White, Kearse, Bulluck, and Scaife disrespected a charity organization, the Steelers organization, the city of Pittsburgh, and currently the most important reason is Myron Cope, the legendary radio broadcaster for the Steelers who passed away this February.

I know that the players probably didn't know all this and were just fired up with the game, but they still did what they did. And Tomlin's going to use it to his advantage, much like Cowher did the Housh clip.

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:28 PM    (permalink
aNYtitan
All-Pro

aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
And as for what the Terrible Towel means,:

"The Terrible Towel is a gimmick created for the encouragement of the Pittsburgh Steelers, an American football team in the National Football League (NFL). Created in 1975 by late Steelers radio broadcaster Myron Cope, the Towel has since become "arguably the best-known fan symbol of any major pro sports team".[1] Since its invention, The Terrible Towel has spread in popularity; fans often take their Towel to famous sites while on vacation. The Towel has been taken to the peak of Mount Everest and seen on Saturday Night Live. It is widely recognized as a symbol of the Steelers and the city of Pittsburgh.[2][3]

Proceeds from sales of the Towel have raised over US$2 million for a Pennsylvania school which cares for people with mental retardation and physical disabilities. Terrible Towel is credited with being the first "rally towel", its success has spawned similar trends.[4] Numerous versions have been produced; all are black and gold in color with the words "Myron Cope's Official The Terrible Towel" printed on the front."

So White, Kearse, Bulluck, and Scaife disrespected a charity organization, the Steelers organization, the city of Pittsburgh, and currently the most important reason is Myron Cope, the legendary radio broadcaster for the Steelers who passed away this February.

I know that the players probably didn't know all this and were just fired up with the game, but they still did what they did. And Tomlin's going to use it to his advantage, much like Cowher did the Housh clip.
Like has been stated before by another poster, if you need any more incentive in an AFC championship game(which would be the next time we face each other if it occurs) you are not playing the right game. Hell, if you need any more incentive to play a playoff game, you aren't playing the right game. Also, if you hit us hard, trust us that we will hit you harder. Bulluck and Haynesworth, Thorton and Finny, Kearse and Griffin and Hope. All of these players know how to play physically, and they don't need any extra incentive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Show me your Wang, if you will.
aNYtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:37 PM    (permalink
MicktheGreat
Veteran

MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Exactly. But it also comes down to being disrespected as a team. Few were picking the Titans despite the better W/L and the fact it was at home. I think the ESPN had every state but TN picking the Steelers to win. I'm not sure how different that would have been with KVB and AH playing, probably not at all. Stomping on the towel is probably as much directed to the media etc than the Steelers, maybe even more so. It seems every week the media have a new #1 other than the Titans and this was a statement for that.
Absolutely right!

I actually think that the towel stomp had less to do with the Steelers and more to do with the media. All week long, the Titans heard from every media outlet how the Steelers were a much better team and how they were going to whoop up on the Titans (despite the fact that the Titans were playing at home and that they had a better win-loss record). Really...all season long, the Titans have heard that, even thought they're good, they're not QUITE as good as other teams -- e.g. the Giants, the Jets, the Steelers, etc. (not to mention all the recent respect given to the Colts again).

Of course, now you will hear that the towel stomp was rude or will only serve to hype up the Steelers. Why will that become the story? Because the sports media WANTS that to become the story. Modern media is, by its very nature, opportunistic and rarely self-reflective. If there's not a story here, they'll create one for the sake of something to talk about.

All that said, I thought it was a good game and I'm looking forward to the Titans playing the Steelers again in the AFC championship...
MicktheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:41 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goosemahn
Great job on the win guys. We got the ass-whooping of the season.

But yeah, White, Scaife, and Kearse (who blew his nose on the towel) have no idea of what they just did. Last time someone disrespected the towel (Houshmandzadeh cleaning his shoe with one) we went to Cincy in the first round of the playoffs, beat them, played an extremely physical game, accidentally tore two of Carson Palmer's ligaments, and then won three more games as visitors before becoming champions.

Most of the starters are still there, other than Joey Porter. James Harrison, however, has a mean temper, and Woodley is better than Haggans. If we play each other again, those guys are going to be extremely fired up. It'd be a great game to watch.

But for the moment, enjoy the win. You guys simply outplayed us.
You're playing with fire if you try to pull something on the Titans - just ask the Chargers fans.

We're not like the Bengals. You won't see Chad Johnson, Carson Palmer, or any hyped skill players on our sidelines. If you hit us, we hit you back and won't be intimidated.

Harrison and Woodley are great LB's, and they're a force. But be careful what you wish for. Shawne Merriman bumped Vince Young late during a play last year. The next play, Ben Hartsock laid Merriman on his ass after blocking him from his blindside. The play after that, Kevin Mawae and David Stewart double teamed Merriman and drove him into the ground, causing I believe the leg injury that put him out for this season.

We don't play.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:49 PM    (permalink
stephenson86
All-Pro

stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i love the fact we are such a physical team bordering on psycopathic sometimes i think absolutely love it

as for michael griffin and jason jones....wow
stephenson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:18 PM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

I'm a little confused by the "what happened last time" posts regarding the towel thing. Is this some sort of suggestion of a curse or something? Or just a way of saying the Steelers will bring it extra hard? If it's the latter, I don't agree at all and I think you'll find the reason the Steelers beat the Bengals that time was because they out played them like they probably would have regardless. The fact Carson went down in a freak fashion didn't hurt the Steelers chances either. Anyway, a physical defensive team often wins playoff games against finesse style offensive teams, so it wasn't a huge surprise at the time.

I suspect the media will try and milk this as much as possible to build up for a potential rematch, and I have no doubts what the angle is going to be ("watch out for the Steelers, they're pissed! grrwaaaww!!"), but I suspect that's fine and dandy with the Titans players. Like the Pats of recent years, they enjoy the lack of hype and something like this will probably just make them underdogs at home again against the media appointed better team.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:38 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

Quote:
I'm a little confused by the "what happened last time" posts regarding the towel thing.
Apparently T.J. Houshmazilly cleaned/polished his cleats with the TT during a regular season game where the bengals beat the Steelers. Then when they had the rematch in the post season the Steelers were magically made superior because it really angers grown men when you disrespect a hand towel.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:46 PM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

Ok. Well, fair enough, but I personally reckon it angers grown men more when they beat a team convincingly, and all anyone can talk about is how classless and unworthy they are afterwards.

The towel thing was a brilliant move really, it almost assures the Titans will remain the least favorite media team heading into the playoffs and that's the Titans' comfort zone.