Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:01 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default AFC South Thread

I'll throw down a mini-analysis.

The Colts are the defending champions. They had an atrocious regular season defense, as seen by their giving up 375+ rushing yards to the Jaguars. Their offense was still world-class. Going into the postseason, many left them for dead. But their defense got a spark in the postseason, and rode this wave to the world championship. This year is going to be very interesting for them. They haven't done much of note in the offseason, and the question is if they can still play at a championship level. Teams having "Super Bowl hangover" is well-documented. Will that be the Colts' fate?

The Titans caught fire last year. They started out as many predicted: badly. But then Vee-Wai made some clutch plays, Travis Henry ran like a wild man, and next thing you know, they finish second in the division and just shy of the playoffs. Their defense played well enough in their stretch, but is still a big question mark. They signed Nick Harper and drafted Michael Griffin, but will it be enough? They also lost Travis Henry and Drew Bennett on offense, putting the pressure on LenDale White to perform. will they be the team at the beginning of last year, or the end of it?

The Jaguars are one of those "what the heck?" teams. They play great at home and against the top teams, but struggle against, well, struggling teams. They've always had a great defense, and this year they had a great running game. The question is the passing game. The receivers have disappointed, never playing at a high level. Byron Leftwich has been oft-injured, and David Garrard was a disappointment. Leftwich was named the starter, and they showed confidence in him by passing on Brady Quinn. The Jaguars signed Dennis Northcutt to be another target (and punt returner), and Tony Pashos to pass protect, so the Jaguars are attempted to help the passing game out. Can Leftwich step up this year, as well as the receivers?

The Texans can beat the Jaguars, but that's nearly it. The team showed slight improvement from the year before, but they still have a lot of holes. They have never been a good team in their history, but the offseason is geared towards being one. They traded for the sexy QB prospect Matt Schaub after cutting David Carr. They drafted young stud DT Amobi Okoye to further solidify their defensive line. They also signed proven-vet RB Ahmad Green to finally give them a running game. Will this be the year the Texans make some noise?

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:20 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Damn you. I was going to do this after Finals Week. Good analysis, though.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:26 PM    (permalink
Philliez01
All-Pro

Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Colts:

The Indianapolis Colts, like Unseen painfully mentioned, had a myriad defense throughout most of the regular season but caught fire during the playoffs. Was it the chip on the shoulder theory, luck or just improved skill? Whatever it was, the Colts need to do it again. They do lose their two starting CBs in Jason David (Saints) and Nick Harper (Titans) but they have a plethora of young talent including 2005 first rounder Marlin Jackson and Kelvin Hayden who solidified the Super Bowl with a late pick off Rex Grossman. Hayden entered the NFL as a raw prospect but has shown adjustment in the past season with Leslie Frazier (new DC of the Vikings) and Jackson has starter's experience. Behind them is 2nd-year man Tim Jennings, TJ Rushing, and rookies Daymeion Hughes and Michael Coe.

The main concern of the Colts is still the linebacker squad. Rob Morris paid major dividends at SAM after replacing Gilbert Gardner but Morris isn't getting any younger and who knows if he continues his play. Gary Brackett is the leader of the defense and has played solid but often did miss tackles last season. Cato June departed to Tampa Bay and Freddie Keiaho will most likely take the place of him. Keiaho has earned rave reviews from the coaching staff but will that transition to the playing field?

The defensive line is also an area of concern. You know what you are going to get with Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis and Anthony McFarland but if Raheem Brock wants to continue being a UT; he'll need to take on blockers better and gain a better inside rush. If Brock can develop (or Quinn Pitcock), then I feel that this could be a potential devastating D.

When your offense is lead by Peyton Manning, good things are expected to come. To be honest, I feel Peyton could very well hit 35+ TDs with the drafting of WR Anthony Gonzalez to the slot. Gonzo is set to be an excellent compliment to Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne (as well as Dallas Clark) plus, this could be the revival of the "Pick Your Poison" theme that we say in 2004. The OL is aging but isn't really showing the signs of it and the heir apparent at LT Tony Ugoh, will most likely start at OG this year in place of Ryan Lilja. Charlie Johnson also may receive some extensive playing time this season as Ryan Diem continues to battle injuries.

Projected Record: 11-5, 12-4

Jaguars:

I've learned to highly respect the Jags fans on here and while I still hate them, I really think they can take the AFC South. But that begins and ends with QB Byron Leftwich. If Leftwich can just stay healthy, maybe we all will see the development of the true successor to Mark Brunell.

But the keys to Leftwich's success (other than being healthy) is the development of the passing game. Reggie Williams really showed flashes of being a solid WR in the beginning of the season but had difficulties once David Garrard stepped in. Matt Jones, a physical specimen, could still break out but this may very well be a "make or break year for him". Dennis Northcutt, a veteran from the Cleveland Browns, adds a speed element to the passing game which should help. Marcedes Lewis also can become a force in this league if he can again, stay healthy.

The OL is improved as Khalif Barnes developes and with the signing of Tony Pashos from Baltimore. An underrated force.

Now the defense is creeping up a bit in age (well in some parts--Mike Peterson, Donivan Darius) but is really a force. The DL is solid with the two big uglies in the middle with Marcus Stroud and John Henderson. The DEs are going to have to be relied upon this season though in order to slow down opposing defenses again. The secondary is also looking good with rookie Reggie Nelson and STUD CB RaShean Mathis in tow.

PROJECTED: 9-7, 10-6; possible champions at 12-4.

Texans / Titans to come later.

Give JKPIGSKIN credit for this masterpiece
Philliez01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:07 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Me and BBD are both on the 'Houston Texans' will surprise people' bandwagon.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:11 PM    (permalink
Philliez01
All-Pro

Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
Me and BBD are both on the 'Houston Texans' will surprise people' bandwagon.
I am also a firm believer in that one too. I think that depending on the Jaguars, they can vie for 2nd place in the division. (Of course, the Colts are #1 ;) ).

Old 05-11-2007, 11:23 PM    (permalink
jag
Veteran

jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nice write-up Unseen, I'll just do some quick rankings to add onto this discussion.

Passing offense

1. Indy
2. Jax
3. Houston
4. Tennessee

Rushing offense

1. Jax
2. Indy
3. Houston
4. Tennessee

Defense as a unit

1. Jax
2. Houston
3. Tennessee
4. Indy

Division outcome

1. Jax 12-4
2. Indy 10-6
3. Houston 8-8
4. Tennessee 6-10

These are pretty rough, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the Colts come back and win the division again, I just feel that Defense, and [hopeful] consistency at QB will give Jacksonville the edge.

I expect a fallout from the Titans, as well as the Texans first non-losing season ever. I also feel that age is going to finally catch up with Marvin Harrison, and that Peyton's best days of being the best QB in the league are numbered. He's 30 now, and even the best to ever play the game decline at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Chris View Post
It's just a ******* dog By Michael Vick
Check out the Dailyer Nebraskan
http://www.dailyernebraskan.com
421 Witness
756*
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 06:04 AM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag View Post
Nice write-up Unseen, I'll just do some quick rankings to add onto this discussion.

Passing offense

1. Indy
2. Jax
3. Houston
4. Tennessee

Rushing offense

1. Jax
2. Indy
3. Houston
4. Tennessee

Defense as a unit

1. Jax
2. Houston
3. Tennessee
4. Indy

Division outcome

1. Jax 12-4
2. Indy 10-6
3. Houston 8-8
4. Tennessee 6-10

These are pretty rough, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the Colts come back and win the division again, I just feel that Defense, and [hopeful] consistency at QB will give Jacksonville the edge.

I expect a fallout from the Titans, as well as the Texans first non-losing season ever. I also feel that age is going to finally catch up with Marvin Harrison, and that Peyton's best days of being the best QB in the league are numbered. He's 30 now, and even the best to ever play the game decline at some point.
Oh, I don't see Peyton declining any time soon. If he does decline, I think we're talking 4-5 years. Marvin Harrison I could see, but 30 is still "in your prime."

I'll write up something like jag did later today or tomorrow.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 06:27 AM    (permalink
tylerb929
Rookie

tylerb929 is a cocksman.tylerb929 is a cocksman.tylerb929 is a cocksman.tylerb929 is a cocksman.tylerb929 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliez01 View Post
Was it the chip on the shoulder theory, luck or just improved skill?
Bob Sanders did a lot of it.

And people have said Marvin will get old every year, still hasn't happened. Last year he was only 3 yards off from being the recieving yards leader and was 2nd in the league in recieving TDs (only by 1). The year before he finished the season out with a broken arm and was still a top 5 reciever with a cast on his arm.

I don't worry about Marvin, he's a given, he'll be there, he'll play, and he'll do great. And if not Wayne can carry the load.
tylerb929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 07:42 AM    (permalink
Ewing
Pro Bowler

Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.

I'm on the "Texans will regret not drafting a guy who can win games" bandwagon. They'll have another top ten pick next year. I'll post my thoughts on the whole division later.
Ewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 08:08 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewing View Post
I'm on the "Texans will regret not drafting a guy who can win games" bandwagon. They'll have another top ten pick next year. I'll post my thoughts on the whole division later.
You should just get a monkey and teach it to type this, that way you never actually have to come here since you say the same ******* three things over and over again.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 08:13 AM    (permalink
Ewing
Pro Bowler

Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
You should just get a monkey and teach it to type this, that way you never actually have to come here since you say the same ******* three things over and over again.
Do you just sit around and wait for me to post something so you can *****? Seriously, get a life.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:36 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Colts in a cakewalk. People like to point out the Super Bowl hangover and I believe in it but I also believe that potential dynasties overcome that. Both Payton and Dungy have put the 'cannot win the big one behind them' and are far more likely to string a few in a row than they are to suffer the hangover.

Jacksonville by a smidge for 2nd. QB. QB, QB, people say you don't need one to win a Super Bowl but for the most part, you do in fact need one to compete in this era of great QB's and Jacksonville just doesn't have one.

Tennessee is hard to predict. Vince Young is sensational but still inexperienced. He cannot do it all by himself and I just don't think he has enough around him to serious challange for a playoff spot but if anybody can suprise it's Young. We just don't know yet how good he can become. He just might be a lot more special than we all realize.

I see Houston as a vastly improved team. People love to criticize the Schaub trade but they never consider that just maybe Schaub was in demand because he's really got potential and might just be better than people realize.
Houston looks to be building a great defense and I could see this team suprising a lot of pundits and maybe finishing as high as 2nd place. However, until we see Schaub for a season, we have to place them in last place but I for one won't be shocked if they are one of the suprise teams this coming season.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:50 AM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Titans have an above avg o-line, but who knows how well the RB's will play. I hope the new Henry doesn't bust like most think. But I think the running game will at least be avg behind the o-line.

Wade was no big loss (Roby and Davis can be better imo), but Bennett may be difficult to replace if Givens doesn't make it back full strength this year (doesn't sound like he will). Brandon Jones could step up, he's shown some good flashes. But after him, it's all up in the air. Now Ben Troupe could help out that passing game if he stays healthy this year after missing half of last year. They have split him out at WR.

VY will hopefully make a 2nd year leap, the coaches say they see the signs of it. But everyone is posimistic this time of year, so we'll just wait and see. His weapons will have to be there for him.

The d-line may be about the same. Odom staying healthy should help some. We played a UDFA last year a lot at DE....that hurt. We lost Robaire Smith, but I think he's only marginally better than Starks against the run, and less effective as a pass rusher.

LB should be better. Sirmon has retired, and Tulloch or Fowler have to be better. Thornton was hurt much of last year too.

I can't see Thompson starting another game at S. Lowry or Fuller (seems more like Lowry) should replace him and can't be worse. Griffin would have to just lie down on the field to not be an upgrade at S, but he'll play CB (for now). Who knows how that'll work out, and I doubt he'll be as good as Pac. Harper was brought in, and should be better than Hill.

Overall, with another brutal schedule, and a lot of potential that are only "ifs" right now, I think the Titans only win 5-7 games. Hope I'm wrong.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:39 PM    (permalink
Breaker
Rookie

Breaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewing View Post
Do you just sit around and wait for me to post something so you can *****? Seriously, get a life.
Do you just sit around and post **** about the Texans? Seriously, get a life.

is all 600+ of your post about trashing the Texans?
Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:52 PM    (permalink
jag
Veteran

jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unseen View Post
Oh, I don't see Peyton declining any time soon. If he does decline, I think we're talking 4-5 years. Marvin Harrison I could see, but 30 is still "in your prime."

I'll write up something like jag did later today or tomorrow.
I'm not anticipating Peyton's real decline for 3-4 more years, but I just wanted to point out he's on the wrong side of 30 now, and he will decline eventually.

And as to the "Everyone always says Marvin will decline but he never does" statement. Everybody said the same thing about Curtis Martin, who had just come off a year of leading the league in rushing, when his fallout happened. It's a young mans game, even the best can't play forever.

Quote:
421 Witness
756*
Old 05-12-2007, 01:03 PM    (permalink
VY10
Rookie

VY10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The Texan's have improved from last year at every position except for the loss of Eric Moulds so there is no need to bash them. They've made mistakes in the past but they came through with new management and coaching and are turning the team around. I see them beating the Jags and Titans at least once and finishing third ahead of Tennessee next year.
VY10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 02:02 PM    (permalink
Cashmoney
Pro Bowler

Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.

Peyton Manning is not going to decline. He is 31 but he has never really been injured ever. he knows how to take care of himself by throwing the ball away, plus a lot of defenders are probably scared to lay a big blow on Peyton cause the refs and the league might come down on them. Great QBs do get biased calls or the benefit of the doubt whether you choose to believe so or not. So in my opinion a 31 year old Manning is like a 28 year old QB that takes a lot of hits. And about Marvin, it doesn't even matter if he declines a little. Reggie could step up and be a one in a second and Marvin would be the best #2 in the league.
Cashmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 03:54 PM    (permalink
Ewing
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaker View Post
Do you just sit around and post **** about the Texans? Seriously, get a life.

is all 600+ of your post about trashing the Texans?
With your grand total of three posts I'm so glad you know what I do on these forums.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:15 PM    (permalink
Philliez01
All-Pro

For the other two teams:

Texans:

The Houston Texans have talented players, but the problem is that the talent gap between some of the players (and the questionable drafts of Mario and Travis Johnson) have hurt the team.

As widely known, there were two sides to the "who's to blame" argument when it came to the Texans last year.

1) - David Carr
2) - The Offensive Line

Carr is gone in favor of former Atlanta backup Matt Schaub AND the signing of Jordan Black (while not an elite prospect) at least provides some solid play. The unit has shown signs of improvement and I really think you will see a slightly improved OL in Houston this season under Gary Kubiak.

To replace Carr, Matt Schaub was traded to Houston. What I like about Schaub is his intelligence and poise but to be honest, there isn't much game tape on him to dissect his play. Schaub does fit the prototypes you look for in a QB though but expect some inconsistent play out of him.

Ahman Green was signed to be the team's starting RB but don't be shocked to see Ron Dayne and Wali Lundy get a good deal of carries. Andre' Johnson is a stud, TE Owen Daniels is a fine target and rookie WR Jacoby Jones has potential.

But the main area of concern is the defense. The DL looks formidable as Mario Williams finally has some help with the drafting of Amobi Okoye. The LB'ers are headed by Defensive Rookie of the Year, DeMeco Ryans but Shantee Orr and rookies Zach Diles and UDFA Jon Abbate could make a significant impact this season. The secondary is a bit of a question mark as Dunta Robinson is nearly a stud and CC Brown has enjoyed some moderate success.

PROJECTED RECORD: 6-10, 7-9

Tennessee Titans

I am not questioning Vince Young's ability anymore. But I do have to question the surronding talent. LenDale White has the talent to succeed, but can he stay in shape or succeed with a full amount of carries? Will Chris Henry prove he was worth a 2nd round pick? Also, at WR there are questions surronding David Givens health and how Brandon Jones will react to being a #1 WR.

The defense on the other hand, did help the team upset the Jacksonville Jaguars and Indianapolis Colts so they do have the capability to be great. Kyle Vanden Bosch had an excellent 2005 season but needs to rebound after a 2006 season that saw Albert Haynesworth suspended for 4 games.

Keep your eye out on the LB crew as David Thornton had a good season, Keith Bulluck remains a force and Stephen Tulloch is on the cusp of a breakout season.

But the main question begins with Pacman. Assuming he doesn't return, the CB crew will have to rely on aging Nick Harper and former Texas S Michael Griffin (the team's first round pick). If the secondary can hold up, they can mount another charge.

PREDICTION: 4-12, 5-11

I expect to get a few angry posts from Titans fans saying "I'm crazy" or Texans fans saying "I'm crazy".

Old 05-12-2007, 09:24 PM    (permalink
jag
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliez01 View Post
For the other two teams:

I expect to get a few angry posts from Titans fans saying "I'm crazy" or Texans fans saying "I'm crazy".
I completely agree with you. I feel the Titans are nowhere near the playoffs this season, and that Vince will come back to earth with the loss of Travis Henry, and both his top 2 targets.

Quote:
421 Witness
756*
Old 05-12-2007, 10:17 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Vince Young's presence on the field had a huge impact on Travis's running success. There's a reason why he ran very well towards the end of the season.

I know anyone can run well in Denver, but Travis Henry will miss Vince Young and his play-action capabilities.

I'll post why I think everyone else is wrong later. I'm eating brownies.

Brownies > j00 !!!

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 02:24 AM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
So Ewing stating that the Texans will have a Top 10 pick next year for not drafting Reggie Bush or Vince Young warrants this remark? I mean c'mon. He has the right to say what he wants, especially since its pertaining to the subject of the thread. He's a Titans fan who thinks the Texans will stink it up next year. Blasphemy!!! The nerve that one has! He's blunt, but who cares. Just because he gets his point across in a way that doesn't meet your standards doesn't mean you can trash his posts and opinions. Leave that stuff in the NFC North thread.

Great posts by Unseen and Philliez01, who is crazy by the way. ;)

As for the division, I see it panning out like last year:

Colts
Jaguars/Titans
Titans/Jaguars
Texans

Colts lost four starters on defense(five if you count Gilbert Gardner, who was benched mid-season). Three of the defensive starters were from their secondary. I know they have the talent to replace them, but thats a lot of experience to replace. I still think they'll take the division, though. Their offense won't miss a beat, and Addai should only get better. The only ones who should overtake them are the Jags.

Which bring me to Jacksonville. Their defense should be great. They lost Deion Grant, but drafted Reggie Nelson. Reggie Heyward should return, so their D-Line looks scary. Secondary with Mathis, Williams, and Darius should be solid. I think they had injuries at LB last year, but Mike Peterson is a beast. But! Its the offense to watch out for. MoJo will probably be ticked about losing the Rookie of the Year award, and should spear head their running game. But, there's one glary peice of straight up nasty that everyone can see: QB CONTROVERSY!!!1!!1 With inconsistency at the position, their offense won't improve. This has a big effect on the receivers, who despite having the talent, continue to under acheive. Not to mention they struggle greatly on the road. If Leftwich does good, then they should have a great season and should look to be in the playoffs. If Leftwich does bad, look to them being in 3rd in the AFC South.

The Titans are the Wild Card in the division. They could do good, or suck out loud. They lost their two leading receivers, and lead rusher. These aren't as big of losses as people think, but are of concern mainly because of the uncertaintity at the positions. Travis Henry ran for 1,200 yrds, but Vince Young had a big hand in that. Before Vince started for us, Travis was averaging 2.7 YPC and 41 YPG. He missed two games during this span of time, and was basically a non-factor. After Vince started at Indy, Travis averaged 94 YPG and had a 4.7 YPC. See where I'm getting at? Drew Bennett had six games last season where he caught one or fewer passes. Only in five games did he catch more than three passes. He had over 50+ receiving yards in only six of his games. He also only caught three TD's, and has a lot of trouble staying healthy and consistent. Bobby Wade was our slot receiver, and we have two guys on our roster who can replace him. Bobby also had only six more receptions than Brandon Jones, and had only 77 more receiving yards, so its not like he was our #2 reciever by a long shot. The biggest loss is PacMan Jones, who was their best cover corner and was one of the best punt returners in the league. The Michael Griffin at CB experiment is another thing to raise your eye brow at, aswell. The Titans just have a lot of question marks, but if they can answer them, they can pick up where they left off last season.

As for the Texans, I think they've improved, but they have to show me that they can win. Its not enough that they got better players. Matt Schaub may be an improvement over David Carr, but Schaub is not proven and has never won a game, if memory serves me right. Ahman Green brings a little stability to their running game, but Green has an injury history, and if he goes down, that may mean a bad running game for a new QB who has a below average O-line, which was addressed only once in the draft. They got a stud DT in the draft, and a return specialist who has the potential to be a good WR for them. If Williams and Johnson can prove all their doubters wrong, they could have a good D-line, which will improve every area of their defense. The Texans could have a winning record, but I'm not convinced yet.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 12:23 PM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Time and time again people mention losing Wade and Bennett like it is some huge deal. They are depth quality at best. Bennett was dropping as many as he was catching and was used very little in the 6 game winning streak (1TD). Wade was solid but replaceable. I can understand that the WR position is not great but it's not significantly weaker. The only real loss on offense was Travis Henry but it's funny how, as soon as VY came in, his running game perked up.

It hasn't been a great offseason but I think a lot of people are exaggerating the losses severely - I really wouldn't feel much if any better right now if all three of the above were resigned for 07. It still would have been about VY in 07. It's all fine and well to say that the offense hasn't improved this offseason but there weren't really any realistic options out there to do so - the FA market was mediocre at best.
OzTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 12:55 PM    (permalink
Philliez01
All-Pro

lol, thanks TitanHope!

I am never going to doubt Vince for a while, hell we thought that Billy Volek would be starting at this time last season. I also remember Drew Bennett dropping at least two TDs that were excellent passes. However, can Brandon Jones be successful against guys like Rashean Mathis and even Dunta Robinson? Will LenDale prove he was worth it?

It's not really about how bad they are but how shaky the team is.

Old 05-13-2007, 01:07 PM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How did VY help Henry run the ball? The o-line was changed, and that obviously helped a lot.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote