Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 01:18 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: God blessed Texas
Posts: 21,434
Reputation: 4260054
MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

I was a huge fan of Kam Wimbley's coming out. Huff goes without being said.
__________________
MetSox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:43 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 60,332
Reputation: 2278505
D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
I want to see Nagy worked in as TE in jumbo sets... It was a role Wisconsin used him in occasionally and was effective in short yardage situations. The ability to run the football inside the 5 yardline is a major concern of mine heading into the season. The inability to execute any push limits the play calling so much especially since the area the defense has to cover is so constricted at that point of the field. Retaining Fiametta and upgrading at guard should help in this area as well.
If Nagy makes the team.

I do like when coaches use players in versatile roles. We saw some of that with Spears and Brent at FB in short yardage situations.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:46 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 60,332
Reputation: 2278505
D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
Rumor is the Raiders might release Huff and Wimbley. I'm not a fan of Huff's, but Wimbley would be an interesting one. He's never really had the opportunity to play with another great pass rusher opposite him. He's always had to be the top guy. Ryan is familiar with him too. I'd have some interest here.
I'd take 'em both. I wouldn't eliminate adding a young pass rusher or safety even with those additions though.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:47 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 28,630
Reputation: 3904676
bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

If you guys do go after Mario Williams, then I think my suggestion of the Cowboys switching to a 4-3 defense would have to happen.

LE: Mario
NT: Spears
UT: Ratliff
RE: Ware

WILL: Carter
MIKE: Lee
SAM: Curry? (Possible FA pickup)

That would be a sick front 7.
__________________
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:08 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 60,332
Reputation: 2278505
D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
If you guys do go after Mario Williams, then I think my suggestion of the Cowboys switching to a 4-3 defense would have to happen.

LE: Mario
NT: Spears
UT: Ratliff
RE: Ware

WILL: Carter
MIKE: Lee
SAM: Curry? (Possible FA pickup)

That would be a sick front 7.
That's not really a suggestion that deviates from what we already do. Rob uses a ton a 4 man fronts and we don't really draft or sign guys that are pigeoned holed to one specific scheme over another.

I hope your Mario Williams mention has some real legs to that kind of rumor though. :)

I would give up our 1st round pick for him.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:15 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 28,630
Reputation: 3904676
bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
That's not really a suggestion that deviates from what we already do. Rob uses a ton a 4 man fronts and we don't really draft or sign guys that are pigeoned holed to one specific scheme over another.

I hope your Mario Williams mention has some real legs to that kind of rumor though. :)

I would give up our 1st round pick for him.
4 man fronts in a nickel defense and a base 4-3 defense are not the same thing though.

Every team in the league runs 4 man fronts. Even and odd spacing too. There's very few exclusive 2 gap 3-4 teams in the league, probably only Pittsburgh, Arizona, and San Fransisco. NE runs a lot of 2 gap, but they run some 4-3 too.

Having that said, I see no reason for Dallas to run any odd fronts with their talent on defense. It doesn't make sense to me, your defense is more talented and more effective when you run an even front.

You don't have the 3-4 DEs to run any odd fronts. It's one of the bigger weaknesses on this defense. Run more even fronts and you eliminate that problem.

If you guys drafted JJ Watt, that would be a different story. That's the guy I had Dallas taking last year (I thought Smith would be a bust, he's proven me wrong). But without that kind of DE, I see no reason for this team to run any odd fronts.
__________________
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:20 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 28,630
Reputation: 3904676
bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

And how scary would it be to see Mario Williams on one side in a 3 point stance, and Ware on the other?

I hope it doesn't happen, but it's the smart move. Forget all these mediocre FAs you guys want to get in the secondary, go after Mario and switch to a 4-3.

With that front 7, you'll be able to run a lot more Cover 2 shells in the secondary to hide it, (I dislike Cover 2 but you can run it while you go out and draft and develop secondary players).
__________________
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:36 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 60,332
Reputation: 2278505
D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
4 man fronts in a nickel defense and a base 4-3 defense are not the same thing though.

Every team in the league runs 4 man fronts. Even and odd spacing too. There's very few exclusive 2 gap 3-4 teams in the league, probably only Pittsburgh, Arizona, and San Fransisco. NE runs a lot of 2 gap, but they run some 4-3 too.

Having that said, I see no reason for Dallas to run any odd fronts with their talent on defense. It doesn't make sense to me, your defense is more talented and more effective when you run an even front.

You don't have the 3-4 DEs to run any odd fronts. It's one of the bigger weaknesses on this defense. Run more even fronts and you eliminate that problem.

If you guys drafted JJ Watt, that would be a different story. That's the guy I had Dallas taking last year (I thought Smith would be a bust, he's proven me wrong). But without that kind of DE, I see no reason for this team to run any odd fronts.
Understandable, but we have to go with the scheme our DC runs. ...and a full fledged Rob Ryan scheme is... as they say... very "exotic". You might see 4 DL or 0 DL. We didn't have the talent or time due to the lockout to implement his scheme to the level he wanted to. In fact, he rolled back as the season progressed because our secondary was so bad that his blitz calls were beat too regularly. He played handicapped and so we have yet to see the beauty of Rob Ryan's scheme in full glory. The biggest area of need for us is in the secondary. That's where it all starts for him and his scheme. He NEEDS to have players that can cover on an island as well as have that physicality to bump receivers off thier routes and disturb their timing. They also need to be able to shed blocks off WRs, be sure tacklers in addition to being excellent at the blitz. His defense is a high pressure blitzing defense, but if you don't have the guys in the secondary that can cover, then it blows up the whole scheme. ...and when I say cover, I'm not saying cover 30 yards down the field (that's nice and all)... but what I'm saying is that they need to be excellent short yardage inside the box cover guys with the physicality to disrupt or blitz themselves. West Coast offenses built off short passing will kill this defense if we can't cover the short passing routes with enough time to buy for our exotic blitzes.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:41 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 60,332
Reputation: 2278505
D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
And how scary would it be to see Mario Williams on one side in a 3 point stance, and Ware on the other?

I hope it doesn't happen, but it's the smart move. Forget all these mediocre FAs you guys want to get in the secondary, go after Mario and switch to a 4-3.

With that front 7, you'll be able to run a lot more Cover 2 shells in the secondary to hide it, (I dislike Cover 2 but you can run it while you go out and draft and develop secondary players).
It's true... I don't really see the type of secondary players available in FA or the draft that are going to be great for Rob's scheme. I can see them being good, but I have a hard time finding someone who would be a big time difference maker.

It's no secret why Rob and Rex go hard after cornerbacks. I hope he finds what he's looking for.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:42 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 28,630
Reputation: 3904676
bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

I'm personally not a big Rob Ryan fan. I appreciate some of his work, but I don't see him as a top flight DC. He never has been, I don't understand why he gets that credibility.

If this team doesn't make the playoffs next year, Garrett and Rob are probably not coming back anyway. To pass on Mario bc he doesn't fit the scheme would be a bad mistake in hindsight.

You can always adjust to great players. Rob ran a 4-3 in Oakland. He'll make it work. Get him the lettuce, tell him to make a salad out of it. He'll figure it out.
__________________
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:42 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 60,332
Reputation: 2278505
D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I'm personally not a big Rob Ryan fan. I appreciate some of his work, but I don't see him as a top flight DC. He never has been, I don't understand why he gets that credibility.

If this team doesn't make the playoffs next year, Garrett and Rob are probably not coming back anyway. To pass on Mario bc he doesn't fit the scheme would be a bad mistake in hindsight.

You can always adjust to great players. Rob ran a 4-3 in Oakland. He'll make it work. Get him the lettuce, tell him to make a salad out of it. He'll figure it out.
Whether you're a fan or not doesn't make him bad just because you don't like him. He has a proven track record, so I don't really know if you know your facts anyways. ...and who says he's got the reputation of being a top flight DC? I don't know what you're following or what you're trying to infer.

Secondly, you're all over the place. Why are you suggesting that passing on Mario because he doesn't fit the scheme is even an argument? No one has said that. If you're just saying that to say because it's something that you thought of, then I would agree and say that it doesn't sound like a logical reason if Jerry ever came out and said that. Because in regards to Mario, I just said if it were me that I would give up our 1st rounder to get him. I also said the Cowboys don't add scheme specific type players, and that Rob runs all kinds of fronts. There's no doubt in mind mind that he could work wonders with a guy like Mario Williams on this team.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:56 AM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,067
Reputation: 79506
CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Whether you're a fan or not doesn't make him bad just because you don't like him. He has a proven track record, so I don't really know if you know your facts anyways. ...and who says he's got the reputation of being a top flight DC? I don't know what you're following or what you're trying to infer.

Secondly, you're all over the place. Why are you suggesting that passing on Mario because he doesn't fit the scheme is even an argument? No one has said that. If you're just saying that to say because it's something that you thought of, then I would agree and say that it doesn't sound like a logical reason if Jerry ever came out and said that. Because in regards to Mario, I just said if it were me that I would give up our 1st rounder to get him. I also said the Cowboys don't add scheme specific type players, and that Rob runs all kinds of fronts. There's no doubt in mind mind that he could work wonders with a guy like Mario Williams on this team.
This is completely false, and I'm a diehard cowboys fan. How is rob ryan proven? He's never had a defense in the top 12 in the league in scoring or yards per game, and he's never coached a team with a winning record. He was never on a team that was even .500 before this year, and the cowboys went 8-8.

Now, i'm not saying he is garbage, but I do agree with BBD. He is average and get's undeserved praise because of his mouth and his last name. His "exotic schemes" are bogus. They didn't do anything this year. You either produce or you don't. I don't care if your playing a simple pop warner defense our a defense from outer space. Rob Ryan is average, period. Do I think we can win with him if we get better players? Yes, but he isn't some god send at defensive coordinator.

BBD is right. We need better players. Rob Ryan is an average coach with a loud mouth.
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:57 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,478
Reputation: 1436661
Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

He's known for maximizing output with crappy talent. I'd say turning our defense from the worst in the league to a middle-of-the-road defense with Alan Ball, Frank Walker, and Terence Newman playing major minutes is a success.

He's not elite but give him a chance with decent players before trashing him. I'd be willing to bargain that once we get some reliable corners he'll have us in the top ten.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:31 AM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,067
Reputation: 79506
CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
He's known for maximizing output with crappy talent. I'd say turning our defense from the worst in the league to a middle-of-the-road defense with Alan Ball, Frank Walker, and Terence Newman playing major minutes is a success.

He's not elite but give him a chance with decent players before trashing him. I'd be willing to bargain that once we get some reliable corners he'll have us in the top ten.
I don't want to hear excuses. Look at what Wade Phillips just did in Houston. Now I know he got a few players in the secondary like Joseph and Manning, but it's not like that unit is full of pro-bowlers. They we're garbage last year, and he made them the number one defense in the NFL.

Not to mention, he also had a lockout and switched to a 3-4 and still was great, and lost Mario williams in week 5.

Don't give me rob's schemes are too complicated so it's harder than other teams. The bottom line is that he is just loud mouthed, his last name is ryan, and he is fat with long hair so he's in the media all the time, and if you're in the media people tend to think you're good even when you're not.

Again, can he put a good defense on the field with some better players? Sure, but he's no better than 75% of defensive minds in the league. I hope he somehow gets a head coaching gig next year so we get somebody with actual substance with a history of winning. But whoever would hire him as a HC is an idiot, so I won't keep my hopes up.
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:27 AM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,275
Reputation: 177698
FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Wade's a great def coord, and not a great coach. Texans went extremely defense heavy in FA and the Draft....That makes a difference, they were a different team in both scheme and personnel from last year.
I don't understand why people try to compare the two besides them both working in Dallas. Wade was the coach/def coord of the worst Defense in Dallas history...but hey, he turned around the Texans!!!!

Fact of the matter is the Cowboys are devoid of talent outside of 2 or 3 players on that side of the ball. That's what it comes down too, scheme can only cover so much.
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:50 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,478
Reputation: 1436661
Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Lets see. Houston's major problem was the secondary which they solved by signing great talent and grabbing an excellent defensive coordinator (not HC) in Wade Phillips.

Wade fell apart with our secondary too does that mean his addition to Houston meant zero? You can't it both ways.

Fix the defense talent-wise and the scheme will work.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:45 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: God blessed Texas
Posts: 21,434
Reputation: 4260054
MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Whether you're a fan or not doesn't make him bad just because you don't like him. He has a proven track record, so I don't really know if you know your facts anyways. ...and who says he's got the reputation of being a top flight DC? I don't know what you're following or what you're trying to infer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post

So back to the point, a full time move to the 4-3 is a silly suggestion, imo. We have a genius DC who just needs talented players to help him get the job done. We can run any front or scheme with him. Just get him the talent.
Well you did call him a "genius DC", so that may be what BBD is referring to.
__________________
MetSox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:31 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 60,332
Reputation: 2278505
D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
Well you did call him a "genius DC", so that may be what BBD is referring to.
I can't believe bbd's perception of Ryan is based on how I view him.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:48 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 28,630
Reputation: 3904676
bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

I'm just not a Ryan fan. There's this misconception that he runs the same scheme as Rex, and it's simply not true. He's not a great DC. He's a middle of the pack DC. I do like some concepts that he runs, but for the most part, I think he's a mediocre DC who lives off his family name.

Anyway, more importantly, so am I the only one who feels that signing Mario Williams and switching to a 4-3 defense is the best offseason move you guys can make?

I don't understand the desire to get a Wimbley, or a Huff, or a Griffin, or even a Porter. All of those guys suck, Porter is a decent CB who's overrated bc of his pick 6 in the SB. None of those guys are the answer. You'll spend money on mediocre talent, it'll get you no where.

Mario is an impact player. I'll lay out my offseason blueprint in the next post
__________________
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:57 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,879
Reputation: 296885
Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I'm just not a Ryan fan. There's this misconception that he runs the same scheme as Rex, and it's simply not true. He's not a great DC. He's a middle of the pack DC. I do like some concepts that he runs, but for the most part, I think he's a mediocre DC who lives off his family name.

Anyway, more importantly, so am I the only one who feels that signing Mario Williams and switching to a 4-3 defense is the best offseason move you guys can make?

I don't understand the desire to get a Wimbley, or a Huff, or a Griffin, or even a Porter. All of those guys suck, Porter is a decent CB who's overrated bc of his pick 6 in the SB. None of those guys are the answer. You'll spend money on mediocre talent, it'll get you no where.

Mario is an impact player. I'll lay out my offseason blueprint in the next post
It would def be under consideration but while it looks good on paper the team would have severe depth issues at linebacker. Someone like Luke Kuechly would fit in nicely at the Will, while Sean Lee manned the mike and Carter the Sam leaving three potential back up slots that need to be filled.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:05 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 28,630
Reputation: 3904676
bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Offseason moves:

Step 1: Cut the fat
Bradie James, Keith Brooking, Terrance Newman, Allan Ball, Martellus Bennett, Felix Jones, Anthony Spencer. Yes, I'm aware that some of those guys are FAs, just let them go.

Now I know some of you are seeing Felix's name and thinking "why Felix?" Simply put, he's a backup RB who is not worth the price tag. Let's face it guys, he is what he is. And he's not worth the money. A change up to Murray can be had in the middle rounds for much cheaper, and Murray is vastly superior to Jones. Cut the fat, save the money.

Step 2: Free Agency Moves
Sign Mario Williams, switch to a 43 front. Sign Manny Lawson to shore up SAM. This puts Ratliff in his natural UT position, he's been a UT his whole career, he was never a NT. This instantly upgrades your interior push. Spears provides no pass rush, but has always been a 4-3 NT who can be great in that role. Ware is a beast anywhere, don't worry about him. Mario is a beast off the edge.

Now you instantly upgrade your front 7. You have to compete with the division. All your division opponents can rush with 4. NYG has the best dline in the NFL, Philly led the league in sacks with mostly their front 4, Washington can rush with 4 with Rak and Kerrigan on the edges and Bowen up the gut.

You all know the East is an arms race, you gotta compete with the division. Getting Mario instantly puts your dline in that conversation. Now the addition of Lawson gives you versatility up front. Lawson is long and strong, can set the edge in the run game in an Over front, can reroute TEs at the line, and can cover with the best of them. Plus he can put his hand in the dirt on 3rd down and allow you to move around Mario and Ware along the dline, providing scheme versatility.

Those 2 moves gives you guys one of the better front 7s in the league. Plus Lee and Carter will probably be better in space as well anyway.

Now I know you guys are saying "but our secondary sucks still" Who cares. Jenkins and Scandrick are good enough. With that front 7 and those LBs, along with the pressure you get from the front 4 now, you can play a lot more umbrella coverages to mask the secondary.

Yes, I hate Cover 2 as well, but guess what? Look at the Bears. You can't tell me their secondary is any worse than yours, but they get after it with 4 and they have 2 LBs who can patrol the middle of the field, and last time I checked, their defense is pretty damn good.

Step 3: the draft

1. DeCastro
Again, the East is an arms race. You have to compete on the dline, but also prevent the division from getting to your qb. You have bookend OTs, that's a good start. Getting DeCastro gives you an interior guy who can take on the Jenkins, Bowens, Canty/Tucks of the world. You need that guy.

2. Best available interior pass rusher/DT
Ratliff is getting older, and you need a guy who can develop behind him plus give you another interior pass rushing DT who can come in on 3rd downs and obvious passing formations.

3. Brewer C/G Ohio
I'm not thrilled with him as a Center, I feel he's better at Guard. He's a little lanky and long to play Center, and I think he can be a good pulling guard. Either way, you draft him and find a spot for him. His versatility can't hurt.

4. Best available TE/RB
You need a change up to Murray, and Witten is getting slower and slower and slower. You need to develop a TE behind him.

5-7: BPA

I also like the CB from Texas A&M, but he's an injury liability. I don't know where he'll fall in this draft. He can even move to FS if necessary, but it all depends on his medical to me.

That's my plan for the Cowboys. You can't fix everything overnight, but I feel that's the best plan for this year. You can concentrate on upgrading the secondary next year. As for Laurent Robinson, you'll probably lose him. Look, you gotta trust Romo to be that guy to make everyone around him better. He has it in him, he can make what he has work. Your offense is plenty talented, it's up to Romo to maximize it.

What do you think? Yay or nay?
__________________
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:06 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 28,630
Reputation: 3904676
bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
It would def be under consideration but while it looks good on paper the team would have severe depth issues at linebacker. Someone like Luke Kuechly would fit in nicely at the Will, while Sean Lee manned the mike and Carter the Sam leaving three potential back up slots that need to be filled.
It's not like you guys have good backup 34 ILBs anyway, so what difference does it make?
__________________
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:13 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 60,332
Reputation: 2278505
D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I'm just not a Ryan fan. There's this misconception that he runs the same scheme as Rex, and it's simply not true. He's not a great DC. He's a middle of the pack DC. I do like some concepts that he runs, but for the most part, I think he's a mediocre DC who lives off his family name.

Anyway, more importantly, so am I the only one who feels that signing Mario Williams and switching to a 4-3 defense is the best offseason move you guys can make?

I don't understand the desire to get a Wimbley, or a Huff, or a Griffin, or even a Porter. All of those guys suck, Porter is a decent CB who's overrated bc of his pick 6 in the SB. None of those guys are the answer. You'll spend money on mediocre talent, it'll get you no where.

Mario is an impact player. I'll lay out my offseason blueprint in the next post
Signing Mario Williams is not a unique idea. ...and quite frankly neither is switching to a 4-3 defense. Bob has been talking about that here for years.

My thing is you have to run the defense that your DC has a preference for. Sure a good coach will make adjustments to the players he has, but ultimately you have to build for what he can excel best at. Parcells ran the 4-3 here for 2 years before he had to make the switch. Ultimately, he had to go back to his success forumula.

As for Rob Ryan's track record, I'll make a post on that.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:23 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,067
Reputation: 79506
CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Offseason moves:

Step 1: Cut the fat
Bradie James, Keith Brooking, Terrance Newman, Allan Ball, Martellus Bennett, Felix Jones, Anthony Spencer. Yes, I'm aware that some of those guys are FAs, just let them go.

Now I know some of you are seeing Felix's name and thinking "why Felix?" Simply put, he's a backup RB who is not worth the price tag. Let's face it guys, he is what he is. And he's not worth the money. A change up to Murray can be had in the middle rounds for much cheaper, and Murray is vastly superior to Jones. Cut the fat, save the money.

Step 2: Free Agency Moves
Sign Mario Williams, switch to a 43 front. Sign Manny Lawson to shore up SAM. This puts Ratliff in his natural UT position, he's been a UT his whole career, he was never a NT. This instantly upgrades your interior push. Spears provides no pass rush, but has always been a 4-3 NT who can be great in that role. Ware is a beast anywhere, don't worry about him. Mario is a beast off the edge.

Now you instantly upgrade your front 7. You have to compete with the division. All your division opponents can rush with 4. NYG has the best dline in the NFL, Philly led the league in sacks with mostly their front 4, Washington can rush with 4 with Rak and Kerrigan on the edges and Bowen up the gut.

You all know the East is an arms race, you gotta compete with the division. Getting Mario instantly puts your dline in that conversation. Now the addition of Lawson gives you versatility up front. Lawson is long and strong, can set the edge in the run game in an Over front, can reroute TEs at the line, and can cover with the best of them. Plus he can put his hand in the dirt on 3rd down and allow you to move around Mario and Ware along the dline, providing scheme versatility.

Those 2 moves gives you guys one of the better front 7s in the league. Plus Lee and Carter will probably be better in space as well anyway.

Now I know you guys are saying "but our secondary sucks still" Who cares. Jenkins and Scandrick are good enough. With that front 7 and those LBs, along with the pressure you get from the front 4 now, you can play a lot more umbrella coverages to mask the secondary.

Yes, I hate Cover 2 as well, but guess what? Look at the Bears. You can't tell me their secondary is any worse than yours, but they get after it with 4 and they have 2 LBs who can patrol the middle of the field, and last time I checked, their defense is pretty damn good.

Step 3: the draft

1. DeCastro
Again, the East is an arms race. You have to compete on the dline, but also prevent the division from getting to your qb. You have bookend OTs, that's a good start. Getting DeCastro gives you an interior guy who can take on the Jenkins, Bowens, Canty/Tucks of the world. You need that guy.

2. Best available interior pass rusher/DT
Ratliff is getting older, and you need a guy who can develop behind him plus give you another interior pass rushing DT who can come in on 3rd downs and obvious passing formations.

3. Brewer C/G Ohio
I'm not thrilled with him as a Center, I feel he's better at Guard. He's a little lanky and long to play Center, and I think he can be a good pulling guard. Either way, you draft him and find a spot for him. His versatility can't hurt.

4. Best available TE/RB
You need a change up to Murray, and Witten is getting slower and slower and slower. You need to develop a TE behind him.

5-7: BPA

I also like the CB from Texas A&M, but he's an injury liability. I don't know where he'll fall in this draft. He can even move to FS if necessary, but it all depends on his medical to me.

That's my plan for the Cowboys. You can't fix everything overnight, but I feel that's the best plan for this year. You can concentrate on upgrading the secondary next year. As for Laurent Robinson, you'll probably lose him. Look, you gotta trust Romo to be that guy to make everyone around him better. He has it in him, he can make what he has work. Your offense is plenty talented, it's up to Romo to maximize it.

What do you think? Yay or nay?
I wouldn't be thrilled, but I wouldn't mind this off-season either. I love the DeCastro pick. Think the draft is pretty weak after that. I agree with you that secondary is overrated and pass rush is 80% of the equation, but we can't just not address CB or safety at all.

As for Felix, cutting him would be stupid. Trade him for a 5th and pick up a RB like Herron who you know can get north and south and handle 25 carries if Murray goes down. Lennon Creer, Borderick Green, anyone in that mold.

Felix's price tag this year is $1.17 million. The running back you replace him with will probably cost close to the same about of money. Cutting him is just stupid. You can get a 5th for him on draft day for a team that needs a RB and doesn't like anyone left in the draft. Maybe even a late 4th.

Also, I hear we are getting a compensatory 4th, perfect spot to pick a running back with size and durability and get what we can for felix instead of having him run for 500 yards, no touchdowns, get hurt, and then leave in free agency.

btw, everyone should go to 103.3 on espn dallas radio and listen to the football show. Broaddus and Tim MacMahon have some good discussion.
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:31 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 28,630
Reputation: 3904676
bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
I wouldn't be thrilled, but I wouldn't mind this off-season either. I love the DeCastro pick. Think the draft is pretty weak after that. I agree with you that secondary is overrated and pass rush is 80% of the equation, but we can't just not address CB or safety at all.

As for Felix, cutting him would be stupid. Trade him for a 5th and pick up a RB like Herron who you know can get north and south and handle 25 carries if Murray goes down. Lennon Creer, Borderick Green, anyone in that mold.

Felix's price tag this year is $1.17 million. The running back you replace him with will probably cost close to the same about of money. Cutting him is just stupid. You can get a 5th for him on draft day for a team that needs a RB and doesn't like anyone left in the draft. Maybe even a late 4th.

Also, I hear we are getting a compensatory 4th, perfect spot to pick a running back with size and durability and get what we can for felix instead of having him run for 500 yards, no touchdowns, get hurt, and then leave in free agency.

btw, everyone should go to 103.3 on espn dallas radio and listen to the football show. Broaddus and Tim MacMahon have some good discussion.
Yeah, I won't deny that my draft is weak, I'm still in the process of studying guys and getting an idea of who I like. I was also unaware that Felix was that cheap, in that case, I would keep Felix.

Honestly, I don't think your DBs are that awful, not Jenkins or Scandrick at least. I think the scheme makes them look worse than they are, bc you are blitzing a ton to make up for no pressure from the front, plus leaving CBs on an island who aren't good enough to be left on an island. I think if you ran more umbrella coverage you can hide them fairly effectively as long as your front gets there.

Like I stated, there's no way your secondary is any worse than Chicago's. If Chicago can mask their secondary with an elite front 7 and play 2 deep, I don't see why you can't do the same for at least a year until you go and fix the secondary next year.

Who knows, maybe you draft a guy in the 2nd round or a guy falls in the 4th that you can plug in to fix the secondary. That front 7 gives you versatility.
__________________
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.