Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-08-2007, 04:15 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
A few short notes:

Flo played great. Looking better and better. Our Tackles are pretty good.

Guards need to be replaced. They get pushed around way too much.

New Orleans will lose 2 of 3. They played their Super Bowl last week. Similar to Philly and G-Men after the Oct games with the Boys. Played their best games of season versus Cowboys.

Philly gets pack back today.

Anyway.....
I dunno what I am talking about. ROTFLMAO!
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 04:19 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Quote:
Thule, I will say the following to placate you and the other 'don't worry be happy guyz'

Keep TO and the RB mess. Keep Roy and Watkins and only one slow ILB but I beg .....

Get us two quality athletic, powerful guards, get us a real NT to push the pocket and rotate with Fergie, get Carpenter at ILB and get us a real WOLB so we can move Ware to SOLB where he belongs.

Screw the cap hit. Already did it for a kicker.
You act as if you were more knowledgeable then BP or anybody else on that staff. We all know the weaknesses on the team, we know Rivera is terrible , the TO drops are not good and Roy playing in center field is just a bad idea, but you seem to overreact and come up with some of the most ridiculous "cures". That is why you have very little respect and credibility around here. We cannot just cut and trade everybody at a whim, especially players like Roy and Bradie. You may think there "Slow", but they are the heart of this D, they are the leaders when they go out there. That's what you seem to forget or even consider. You just want "Fast" players and "athletes", you can take the best athletes if you want, but I want the best Football players.

Face it cowboysforever, you pretty much put yourself into a position where nobody will ever take your ideas and theories seriously just for the mere fact you never take into account the consequences it may bring to the cap, the chemistry and really you arguments never have any kind of rationality. So please, for your own sake, shut up.
Yup. Uh huh.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:22 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpl85
I want to believe this was just an abberation and not indicative of how good or bad we really are. If we lose next week we don't deserve to make the playoffs anyway, it's a one game season right now. We have to run the ball a lot more to take the onus off Tony like Pitt did with Ben.
Yup, thats how you "fix" the offense if thats what you guys want to assume. I think it was just an off day, but there are some things that teams will use against Dallas to stop Romo, like play contain with their ends and blitz a DB or bring pressure up the middle with MIKE blitzes.

But I think the answer to that is simply running the ball more. I was surprised that BP just thrusted Romo into the mix like he did, I honeslty expected him to have a Ben like role. I think now that Romo has had 1.5 bad games in a row (1st half against Giants), I think he'll bring in the reigns a little.

Defensively...I don't know if there is an adjustment that can be done. He moved Ware around that game, he blitzed, there really wasn't anything else to do, outside of DB blitzes.

I think teams will start to use NO's blueprint of picking on your safeties. If thats the case, youre gonna have to go with more man coverage schemes.

This puts a lot of pressure on Carp to defend the TE in man coverage, because the zone schemes are vulnerable deep because of your safeties. So now its time for Carp to earn his money. I thought he did a good job last night when on the field, but he needs field time to learn. Why isn't BP giving him more field time?
Big Blue is very good. Hate to admit it. Best on the board.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:25 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Top 5 Defenses don't give up 42 points in three quarters at Home with the chance to lock up a bye and home field advantage for a play off game.

Sorry your assertion this D is good is wrong. This defense has a horrid time matching up with teams that have good TE and RB packakes in the pass game. Horrid.

With respect to Roy and James being heart and soul players with big contracts I think my response is contracts are not guaranteed and at times just cuz a guy is excess for us or a bad fit does not mean he is bad for other teams.

This is my WR argument in reverse and why even Davis has value as a SS in spite of his FS deficits.

Again, need to have a strategy to contemplate and execute this proposal. If you think D is good enuff then you stay the course.

I don't -- too slow in the middle of the field. From NT to MLB to Safeties.

This is why we have the problems we have Defensively.
Ya, I dunno nothing. Only thing I changed my mind on was Akin. Played much better last half of season.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:28 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ok, I payed very very close attention to this game, and I have alot of things to say. So this write up may be long, but I have some things that I really would like to point out so bear with me here. I'll do it in my regular bulletin format.

- I think I mightve figured out the issue with the pass rush. Its the DEs. I tivoed the game and looked at it over and over and I saw the same mistakes from the DEs on pass plays play after play. Especially Spears. Here's the problem. Theyre not occupying the blockers the right way. Their gap assignment is different depending on whether its a run play or pass play.

For example, suppose the DC calls OLB fire. Now, if its a run play, the DE has rush in and occupy the OG, the OLB comes and takes on the Tackle. If its a pass play, the DE is supposed to occupy the Tackle and let the OLB come free on the blitz. Consistently I saw Spears and Canty read the oline incorrectly and fire the run gap on pass plays. In fact, its almost like they fire the run gap all the time no matter what. Thats incorrect. Theyre not helping their OLBs in the pass rush. Now, it may seem difficult superficially to guess what the play is, but honestly, its pretty simple. The oline reacts very differently after the hike on a run play or pass play. Pass plays they drop backwards, run plays they pull forward. So right away, the DE should know what his assignment is. Yet both DE's weren't filling the right holes during pass plays.

This is a very superficial explanation, because it could get quite complex, but what Im trying to say in simple terms is that the DEs are not occupying the oline properly. On some plays where theyre supposed to occupy the Tackle, they don't. When they stunt inwards and occupy the OG in pass plays, thats designed to maximize an interior push, and theyre failing at creating that interior pressure. Its the DEs.

- Ive heard alot being said about the FS. But thats bull. Watkins did fine. The FS was not the problem against the Seahawks. It was the SS, Roy Williams. Now, Ive been supportive of him at times during this season, but quite honestly, its time for him to take some responsibility. I don't want to hear about how a quality FS will allow him to play in the box and either blitz or cover the flats on passing downs.

Thats not what a safety does. You have LINEBACKERS for that. A safety is supposed to cover a deep zone and cover the TE. Something that Roy is ridiculously inept at doing. Youre telling me his job is to cover the flats or blitz on pass downs? If thats the case, why not just come out with 5 LBs? Roy is not a safety, not at his current frame. He either needs to shed 20 Lbs and become a safety who can cover, or he needs to be traded into a different system as a Cover 2 LB. Because at his current state, he is not a safety. And he is the reason why you have safety issues. He gave up 2 TDs against the Hawks. TWO. The Cover 2 play he got there late, the man coverage on the TE, he got destroyed and owned. He's the problem. Not Watkins. And quite honestly, I think Watkins will be very good next year. He has all the physical ability, he just needs refinement. And that will happen in the offseason.

- Terry Glenn had a very uncharacteristic performance in that game. I was shocked.

- I felt that Romo shouldve gone to Witten more.

- Anthony Fasano did nothing. I guess he is not developing as quickly as BP wouldve liked.

- Ware needs to improve his pass rush. That is very obvious. And how did Hasselbeck put the okey doke on him? He had Matt in his hands and just wiffed. And Ive seen him give up on plays when he gets owned. Thats not good. He's a great player with so much potential, he needs to work on his pass rush this offseason

- Bobby Carpenter is gonna be a fine player. All the guys complaining about him need to eat crow, he's gonna be special next year. Heck, he had more impact on the game than Ware did. And he has more pass rush moves, just not as much physical ability. Carp will be very good.

- The gameplans were fine, the offense and defense played fine. With the exception of Roy Williams, the defense did an overall great job.

- I still think though you need a 3-4 DC because the defensive players are not learning as quickly as they should

- The Romo fumble....that is gonna hurt for a long time. I still remember the San Fran game for the Giants, that type of play pains a franchise and lingers.

- Overall, BP would be foolish to leave. This team will be better next year than it was this year. He built a great program, and it would be dumb for him to leave so someone else can take credit for the program he's built. Im expecting Dallas to really be a dangerous team next year.
Big Blue you are dead with Roy Williams. I am so happy I am getting some back up here.

What did you think of Bradie James?
I agree with you on Roy, but James is fine. He's their run thumper on the inside. Like Teddy Johnson was for the Pats, like Harry Carson was for the Giants, like James Farrior is for the Steelers, like Godfrey is for the Chargers. He's a fine LB. They need someone on the inside who can compliment him if youre looking for better pass coverage, but I think Akin fits the bill. Worst case scenario, move Bobby inside and draft another speed rusher on the edge. But I wouldn't do that, I like Bobby on the perimeter. They seem to have solved the flats issues. Teams tried to isolate their FBs, but they just put Ware on them, and that was done. The flats and inside intermediate zones are fine.

What teams have had success with is isolating Roy Williams and just picking on him. Their safeties as a whole played poorly. The FS because he was a rookie, but Roy has no excuse. He was a 1st round pick. He's not supposed to be just a good in the box run stuffer. He needs to take responsibility and stop feeding his own ego. The "hammer" was getting hammered by a 1st round bust TE in Seattle. Thats inexcuseable.

I think Dallas is fine at LB. I think the issue is at safety.
Farrior and Godfrey are fast and can cover. Bradie can not.

Eithe way, what I will say is you can not go into next season with both Bradie and Roy playing coverage poorly on passing downs.

Can not have TWO handicaps on the field at the same time.
Whats great about Carp and Ware is that theyre interchangeable. That allows some great versatility and a smart DC can use them in mismatches and move them around. You could even move both of them inside and bullrush the interior if you want.

James is fine. Every 3-4 defense needs a run thumper ILB. James is that. He's a hammer in the middle. And he's fine in coverage, as long as he's defending an intermediate middle zone, something that 3-4 ILBs predominately do anyway. On nickel downs he can be spelled. He's fine. The whole LB core is fine.

Even the 3 downlinemen will be fine with more technique work. I think the issue is at SS. I hate beating down the issue but it has become apparrent to me that unless Roy loses 20 Lbs, he will continue to be a liability to this defense.

In today's NFL, the safety must be able to cover the TE adequately. SAMs just don't fit that bill anymore. Dallas does not have that right now, and week in and week out theyre getting killed by the TE. With LJ Smith, Cooley, and Shockey in the division, this is something that must be addressed quickly. If it means trading Roy for a 2nd rounder, Id make that trade. This draft is deep at safety.

Someone would bite on that trade. Roy is a fine player, but he's out of position. He's not the right fit in Dallas with their current system.
What would you recommend doing with Roy?
This is not going to be an opinion that many will agree with me on, but Id trade him for a 2nd or 3rd rounder. As long as you guys run the 3-4, you really have no place for him on your team. Youre fitting a square peg in a round hole. Some team will take him for a 2nd rounder.

With the stacked talent at safety this year, you can easily find his replacement. Michael Griffin is available, Merriweather is available, you can even package some picks and nab Laron Landry in round 1. It may not be a popular move, but in the long run it will be better for the defense.

Only if he doesn't change his body in the offseason though. I think if he loses weight he can salvage his career as a safety. But he has to get down to 215. If he stays at the same weight, Id make an offseason move to get rid of him for a high draft pick.

I think Roy Williams would dominate the game as a Cover 2 WILL. The problem is the Cowboys are not running Cover 2, theyre running the 3-4. Its just not gonna work. Not unless like I said, he changes his body.
If we traded him, would we be taking some sort of salary cap hit?

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 04:37 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ok, I payed very very close attention to this game, and I have alot of things to say. So this write up may be long, but I have some things that I really would like to point out so bear with me here. I'll do it in my regular bulletin format.

- I think I mightve figured out the issue with the pass rush. Its the DEs. I tivoed the game and looked at it over and over and I saw the same mistakes from the DEs on pass plays play after play. Especially Spears. Here's the problem. Theyre not occupying the blockers the right way. Their gap assignment is different depending on whether its a run play or pass play.

For example, suppose the DC calls OLB fire. Now, if its a run play, the DE has rush in and occupy the OG, the OLB comes and takes on the Tackle. If its a pass play, the DE is supposed to occupy the Tackle and let the OLB come free on the blitz. Consistently I saw Spears and Canty read the oline incorrectly and fire the run gap on pass plays. In fact, its almost like they fire the run gap all the time no matter what. Thats incorrect. Theyre not helping their OLBs in the pass rush. Now, it may seem difficult superficially to guess what the play is, but honestly, its pretty simple. The oline reacts very differently after the hike on a run play or pass play. Pass plays they drop backwards, run plays they pull forward. So right away, the DE should know what his assignment is. Yet both DE's weren't filling the right holes during pass plays.

This is a very superficial explanation, because it could get quite complex, but what Im trying to say in simple terms is that the DEs are not occupying the oline properly. On some plays where theyre supposed to occupy the Tackle, they don't. When they stunt inwards and occupy the OG in pass plays, thats designed to maximize an interior push, and theyre failing at creating that interior pressure. Its the DEs.

- Ive heard alot being said about the FS. But thats bull. Watkins did fine. The FS was not the problem against the Seahawks. It was the SS, Roy Williams. Now, Ive been supportive of him at times during this season, but quite honestly, its time for him to take some responsibility. I don't want to hear about how a quality FS will allow him to play in the box and either blitz or cover the flats on passing downs.

Thats not what a safety does. You have LINEBACKERS for that. A safety is supposed to cover a deep zone and cover the TE. Something that Roy is ridiculously inept at doing. Youre telling me his job is to cover the flats or blitz on pass downs? If thats the case, why not just come out with 5 LBs? Roy is not a safety, not at his current frame. He either needs to shed 20 Lbs and become a safety who can cover, or he needs to be traded into a different system as a Cover 2 LB. Because at his current state, he is not a safety. And he is the reason why you have safety issues. He gave up 2 TDs against the Hawks. TWO. The Cover 2 play he got there late, the man coverage on the TE, he got destroyed and owned. He's the problem. Not Watkins. And quite honestly, I think Watkins will be very good next year. He has all the physical ability, he just needs refinement. And that will happen in the offseason.

- Terry Glenn had a very uncharacteristic performance in that game. I was shocked.

- I felt that Romo shouldve gone to Witten more.

- Anthony Fasano did nothing. I guess he is not developing as quickly as BP wouldve liked.

- Ware needs to improve his pass rush. That is very obvious. And how did Hasselbeck put the okey doke on him? He had Matt in his hands and just wiffed. And Ive seen him give up on plays when he gets owned. Thats not good. He's a great player with so much potential, he needs to work on his pass rush this offseason

- Bobby Carpenter is gonna be a fine player. All the guys complaining about him need to eat crow, he's gonna be special next year. Heck, he had more impact on the game than Ware did. And he has more pass rush moves, just not as much physical ability. Carp will be very good.

- The gameplans were fine, the offense and defense played fine. With the exception of Roy Williams, the defense did an overall great job.

- I still think though you need a 3-4 DC because the defensive players are not learning as quickly as they should

- The Romo fumble....that is gonna hurt for a long time. I still remember the San Fran game for the Giants, that type of play pains a franchise and lingers.

- Overall, BP would be foolish to leave. This team will be better next year than it was this year. He built a great program, and it would be dumb for him to leave so someone else can take credit for the program he's built. Im expecting Dallas to really be a dangerous team next year.
Big Blue you are dead with Roy Williams. I am so happy I am getting some back up here.

What did you think of Bradie James?
I agree with you on Roy, but James is fine. He's their run thumper on the inside. Like Teddy Johnson was for the Pats, like Harry Carson was for the Giants, like James Farrior is for the Steelers, like Godfrey is for the Chargers. He's a fine LB. They need someone on the inside who can compliment him if youre looking for better pass coverage, but I think Akin fits the bill. Worst case scenario, move Bobby inside and draft another speed rusher on the edge. But I wouldn't do that, I like Bobby on the perimeter. They seem to have solved the flats issues. Teams tried to isolate their FBs, but they just put Ware on them, and that was done. The flats and inside intermediate zones are fine.

What teams have had success with is isolating Roy Williams and just picking on him. Their safeties as a whole played poorly. The FS because he was a rookie, but Roy has no excuse. He was a 1st round pick. He's not supposed to be just a good in the box run stuffer. He needs to take responsibility and stop feeding his own ego. The "hammer" was getting hammered by a 1st round bust TE in Seattle. Thats inexcuseable.

I think Dallas is fine at LB. I think the issue is at safety.
Farrior and Godfrey are fast and can cover. Bradie can not.

Eithe way, what I will say is you can not go into next season with both Bradie and Roy playing coverage poorly on passing downs.

Can not have TWO handicaps on the field at the same time.
Whats great about Carp and Ware is that theyre interchangeable. That allows some great versatility and a smart DC can use them in mismatches and move them around. You could even move both of them inside and bullrush the interior if you want.

James is fine. Every 3-4 defense needs a run thumper ILB. James is that. He's a hammer in the middle. And he's fine in coverage, as long as he's defending an intermediate middle zone, something that 3-4 ILBs predominately do anyway. On nickel downs he can be spelled. He's fine. The whole LB core is fine.

Even the 3 downlinemen will be fine with more technique work. I think the issue is at SS. I hate beating down the issue but it has become apparrent to me that unless Roy loses 20 Lbs, he will continue to be a liability to this defense.

In today's NFL, the safety must be able to cover the TE adequately. SAMs just don't fit that bill anymore. Dallas does not have that right now, and week in and week out theyre getting killed by the TE. With LJ Smith, Cooley, and Shockey in the division, this is something that must be addressed quickly. If it means trading Roy for a 2nd rounder, Id make that trade. This draft is deep at safety.

Someone would bite on that trade. Roy is a fine player, but he's out of position. He's not the right fit in Dallas with their current system.
What would you recommend doing with Roy?
This is not going to be an opinion that many will agree with me on, but Id trade him for a 2nd or 3rd rounder. As long as you guys run the 3-4, you really have no place for him on your team. Youre fitting a square peg in a round hole. Some team will take him for a 2nd rounder.

With the stacked talent at safety this year, you can easily find his replacement. Michael Griffin is available, Merriweather is available, you can even package some picks and nab Laron Landry in round 1. It may not be a popular move, but in the long run it will be better for the defense.

Only if he doesn't change his body in the offseason though. I think if he loses weight he can salvage his career as a safety. But he has to get down to 215. If he stays at the same weight, Id make an offseason move to get rid of him for a high draft pick.

I think Roy Williams would dominate the game as a Cover 2 WILL. The problem is the Cowboys are not running Cover 2, theyre running the 3-4. Its just not gonna work. Not unless like I said, he changes his body.
If we traded him, would we be taking some sort of salary cap hit?
Yes, unless a team we traded him to was willing to pay our penalty..which doesn't seem likely.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 04:55 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number-94
Well...no excuses we got killed. The only person who had a good game was Newman they kept away from where he was and he showed his tackling skills. Roy Wlliams and Davis got PWNED. But, I think we are asking to much of Roy to play center field.

We need a LB that can man up a TE or RB. This is why I wanted them to sign Julian Peterson, I think he would of been a big differnence to what we are now. Something else that bugs me how the hell do we get beat by a blocking FB for 3TDs.

Last but certainly not least...fire Zimmer and get an actual 3-4 DC!
NO MORE LB!! sorry, as I said before we invested to much money and to many picks on linebackers.
Picked this from the DMN articel from Matt Mosley .... I came to BURY him not praise him ....

"Lions quarterback Jon Kitna told a Seattle radio station earlier this week that Cowboys linebacker Bradie James looked completely lost when he watched him on film. James got beat by Jerramy Stevens on the touchdown pass, but he did finish with 11 tackles Saturday."
funny that not only do you feel the need to keep repeating your self but also that you have to keep patting yourself on the back. are you insecure or what? its also funny that your quoting the dallas media because when i quoted them you blew it off as a"dallas media spin" so when things dont go your way its "spin" and if somebody agrees with one of your opinions its "the truth" huh. we will see what happens but i will bet you that roy and bradie will be playing on our team again next year and we will be listening to you repeat all this again. can hardly wait.
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:11 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
A few short notes:

New Orleans will lose 2 of 3. They played their Super Bowl last week. Similar to Philly and G-Men after the Oct games with the Boys. Played their best games of season versus Cowboys.

Anyway.....
Dude why are you repeating yourself, it's really sad.

Face it, your just a novel entity on this board. Nobody will ever take your ideas seriously. And not only do you constantly quote yourself, as if you were having an argument by your own danm self, but then you quote a post I made about you about a week ago. I almost feel sorry for you now.
Paul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:39 PM    (permalink
Number-94

Do you all feel the same way about Austin as I do? I always thought he could of developed into a great #2 but seeing that speed made me think, a #1. Looked some stuff up on him and the only downfall I saw on him was that he went to a small school.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:57 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number-94
Do you all feel the same way about Austin as I do? I always thought he could of developed into a great #2 but seeing that speed made me think, a #1. Looked some stuff up on him and the only downfall I saw on him was that he went to a small school.
Austin has all the measureables of a #1 guys. I don't think he fits the number 2 role very good at all. Did you ever research him at college? I have my thoughts on that.

Anyways...he is a very raw player...and is a project in every sense of the word. If he can continue to contribute on special teams...he will get some very good tutoring from the vets...and will be given the oppurtunity to be a good WR in this league.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 01-08-2007, 05:59 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, now that my brain is about to explode from reading 15 straight pages of (nearly) unadulterated panic and mob-mentality lynching, I think I'll chime in.

I find it sooooooo funny how everything is doom, gloom and dire right now, when - had we not had the Witten 1st down overturned and succeeded in kicking the field goal - we would be looking at a second round matchup with Chicago and everyone would likely be talking about how eager we are to chew up and spit out Rex, and how we have a great shot at winning yadda yadda yadda.

Very funny indeed.

My impression on the season is simply this: it wasn't going to happen.

For some reason or another, this season was simply not going to work out, no matter what happened, no matter how hard we tried, or how well we played. Sometimes in life things just don't work out, and there is not any real reason. Right now we are all trying to crucify members of a defense that was #4 overall as recently as a month ago. One that consistently got us into position to win games. Bradie James is suddenly such a horrible player when he was once the linchpin of a great run D at the end of November. DeMarcus Ware is too much of a SOLB to be our designated pass rusher and doesn't have enough of a repertoire. Anthony Henry should be moved to FS. Blah blah blah blah blah.

I have been just as pained and disturbed by the complete collapse of this team in the last month, but the game against Seattle was not a continuation of what we saw in the last 4 games of the season. The team we saw played with grit and intensity. They played (for the most part) intelligently and passionately. The team I saw on Saturday was the same team I watched from September to November, not the mistake-prone bunch that gave up 30 ppg to the likes of NO, Atl, Philly and Detroit.

Yes, Roy Williams struggled again in coverage. Yes, at times we were not able to get to the quarterback......but that is what happens when you play a good football team that is executing and playing with intensity.

If you want to know why we lost, look no further than Tony Romo. He was errant for much of the day, with passes sailing high, wide, low and behind - in other words, every which way. He was not able to exploit the weaknesses in the secondary. He was even a little tentative in pushing the ball downfield on the few opportunities the defense gave him. He was the biggest - stress, biggest, not only - problem for us in that game.

The facts are that the defense allowed 19 points on the road in a venue that is considered by many to be the best home field advantage in the league at the present time, in the playoffs, against a team that may have struggled this season with injuries, but was largely healthy and had a Pro Bowl caliber QB that was absolutely on fire in the second half of the game (the time when Seattle generate most of its yards and points). Not too bad.

Our offense, meanwhile, generated 13 points, 6 of which came off of turnovers created by the defense . In fact, the only time when Romo and the offense where able to move the ball effectively was 1) at the end of the half and 2) at the end of the game. Somehow, the sense of urgency created by the do-or-die situation was enough to settle Romo down, along with Julius Jones actually getting a chance to carry the ball late for a change.

Clearly, we played plenty well enough defensively to win this game. The offense simply cratered. People want to blame TO for this, but it ultimately falls on the shoulders of the QB. The only thing you can blame TO for was the critical drop on 3rd and 2 that stalled a potential TD drive. For the rest, it was a team effort led by Tony Romo. He was the biggest culprit, followed closely by Terry Glenn (another critical drop that stalled a drive...only you never hear about it, funny isn't it?) who hardly showed up all day against that same horrible secondary - even when TO was recieving most of the double and bracket coverage, along with giving up the biggest play of the game on his fumble. Other culprits where Kosier (was constantly being beaten up the middle) and Colombo (at least one and possibly 2 holding penalties, can't remember precisely, along with allowing 2 sacks - though one wasn't his fault) and the blocking crew as a collective unit for not achieving much push all throught the 1st half and particularly on the short yardage plays.

There is plenty to go around, as you see. The defense actually played far, far, far above my personal expectations. I thought we would see more of the same crazy ass breakdowns that plagued us throughout December, and instead we played fairly well. Its a shame that it had to end with our offense - which had carried the team for much of the season - as the culprit. However, given the nature of the continual breakdowns of every shape and size during the season, it's fitting that it ended the way it did. I, for one, was actually unable to control my amusement. I'm still laughing.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 06:03 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My suggestion to everyone on the board is to give cowboysforever the "Tex Mex" treatment, or basically treat him like Barney. I have stopped responding to him, Thule finally learned for himself how ridiculous he is, it would behoove everyone to not acknowledge him and his tantrums. In fact, it would not surprise me if he were actually Tex Mex himself, but I digress.
Quote:
From what? His leg?
Quote:

DeMarcus Ware
Old 01-08-2007, 06:05 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
A few short notes:

Anyway.....
Dude why are you repeating yourself, it's really sad.

Face it, your just a novel entity on this board. Nobody will ever take your ideas seriously. And not only do you constantly quote yourself, as if you were having an argument by your own danm self, but then you quote a post I made about you about a week ago. I almost feel sorry for you now.
Don't feel bad for me. I'm rich and have time to research quirking irrelevant passions like football.

Also, nobody takes my ideas seriously ... until they come true. Then you start chatting it up and taking it seriously .... like Thule on his last post saying Roy could not be traded ..... two days ago I was an idiot for saying the same but now someone else says it and Thule is like maybe.... Funny.

You guys are wishy washy and once ESPN starts saying what I say you then come around. Its ok though. I love you guys. You make my day go by faster.

Only guy, so far, I have heard any smart comments from are Big Blue. Re-read like 70 pages and he is the only one with consistent, intelligent posts on the Boys.

As regards to Thule, he is still pumping Zibzkowski so not sure who should put who on ignore. He gets a few right though and seems geniunely into this.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:07 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Glad to see you back around dmw...I'm curious how your see our offseason/draft turning out.

unfortuntely cowboysforever isn't texmex...but the similarities are striking...talking about how successful the are in their life...and how the are the best thing since sliced bread.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 01-08-2007, 06:11 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule
Glad to see you back around dmw...I'm curious how your see our offseason/draft turning out.

unfortuntely cowboysforever isn't texmex...but the similarities are striking...talking about how successful the are in their life...and how the are the best thing since sliced bread.
ROTFLMAO!!! So sad the truth stings so bad.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:13 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine
Well, now that my brain is about to explode from reading 15 straight pages of (nearly) unadulterated panic and mob-mentality lynching, I think I'll chime in.

I find it sooooooo funny how everything is doom, gloom and dire right now, when - had we not had the Witten 1st down overturned and succeeded in kicking the field goal - we would be looking at a second round matchup with Chicago and everyone would likely be talking about how eager we are to chew up and spit out Rex, and how we have a great shot at winning yadda yadda yadda.

Very funny indeed.

My impression on the season is simply this: it wasn't going to happen.

For some reason or another, this season was simply not going to work out, no matter what happened, no matter how hard we tried, or how well we played. Sometimes in life things just don't work out, and there is not any real reason. Right now we are all trying to crucify members of a defense that was #4 overall as recently as a month ago. One that consistently got us into position to win games. Bradie James is suddenly such a horrible player when he was once the linchpin of a great run D at the end of November. DeMarcus Ware is too much of a SOLB to be our designated pass rusher and doesn't have enough of a repertoire. Anthony Henry should be moved to FS. Blah blah blah blah blah.

I have been just as pained and disturbed by the complete collapse of this team in the last month, but the game against Seattle was not a continuation of what we saw in the last 4 games of the season. The team we saw played with grit and intensity. They played (for the most part) intelligently and passionately. The team I saw on Saturday was the same team I watched from September to November, not the mistake-prone bunch that gave up 30 ppg to the likes of NO, Atl, Philly and Detroit.

Yes, Roy Williams struggled again in coverage. Yes, at times we were not able to get to the quarterback......but that is what happens when you play a good football team that is executing and playing with intensity.

If you want to know why we lost, look no further than Tony Romo. He was errant for much of the day, with passes sailing high, wide, low and behind - in other words, every which way. He was not able to exploit the weaknesses in the secondary. He was even a little tentative in pushing the ball downfield on the few opportunities the defense gave him. He was the biggest - stress, biggest, not only - problem for us in that game.

The facts are that the defense allowed 19 points on the road in a venue that is considered by many to be the best home field advantage in the league at the present time, in the playoffs, against a team that may have struggled this season with injuries, but was largely healthy and had a Pro Bowl caliber QB that was absolutely on fire in the second half of the game (the time when Seattle generate most of its yards and points). Not too bad.

Our offense, meanwhile, generated 13 points, 6 of which came off of turnovers created by the defense . In fact, the only time when Romo and the offense where able to move the ball effectively was 1) at the end of the half and 2) at the end of the game. Somehow, the sense of urgency created by the do-or-die situation was enough to settle Romo down, along with Julius Jones actually getting a chance to carry the ball late for a change.

Clearly, we played plenty well enough defensively to win this game. The offense simply cratered. People want to blame TO for this, but it ultimately falls on the shoulders of the QB. The only thing you can blame TO for was the critical drop on 3rd and 2 that stalled a potential TD drive. For the rest, it was a team effort led by Tony Romo. He was the biggest culprit, followed closely by Terry Glenn (another critical drop that stalled a drive...only you never hear about it, funny isn't it?) who hardly showed up all day against that same horrible secondary - even when TO was recieving most of the double and bracket coverage, along with giving up the biggest play of the game on his fumble. Other culprits where Kosier (was constantly being beaten up the middle) and Colombo (at least one and possibly 2 holding penalties, can't remember precisely, along with allowing 2 sacks - though one wasn't his fault) and the blocking crew as a collective unit for not achieving much push all throught the 1st half and particularly on the short yardage plays.

There is plenty to go around, as you see. The defense actually played far, far, far above my personal expectations. I thought we would see more of the same crazy ass breakdowns that plagued us throughout December, and instead we played fairly well. Its a shame that it had to end with our offense - which had carried the team for much of the season - as the culprit. However, given the nature of the continual breakdowns of every shape and size during the season, it's fitting that it ended the way it did. I, for one, was actually unable to control my amusement. I'm still laughing.
All good points. Tony did play horribly. Still, better to have him going into next year with a collapse then Drew. There is hope and a young talented team ... notwithstanding Bradie and Roy.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:42 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Some interesting quotes.

Injury Updates
Quote:
Terrell Owens said he plans to have a second opinion from a doctor in South Florida sometime this week on his injured finger. He is expected to have surgery on the finger.

Linebacker Greg Ellis, who missed the final eight games after he suffered a torn Achilles' tendon, said his cast was removed shortly after Christmas. His recovery is proceeding as expected. Whether he will return to the field in time for minicamp is uncertain. But he did admit that watching his teammates struggle defensively for the better part of a month was tough. "You just feel like you should do something to help the team out and to avoid guys feeling the way they feel right now," Ellis said.
Davis a Joke
Quote:
Safety Keith Davis, who lost his starting spot to rookie Pat Watkins, said he wants to remain a Cowboy even if it's only as a special-teams player. He said he wants the team to be up front about his role.

"When I did play, we were 5-2. We were 4-5 when I didn't. Do the math," he said. "Not to say that I was the main reason for that, but I'm looking at numbers. Men lie. Women lie. Numbers don't. Jay-Z said it best."
Jones playing off Zimmer
Quote:
Jones supports Zimmer

Defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer came under fire in recent weeks for the performance of the Cowboys' defense. His seven-figure contract is up, but Jerry Jones supports the longtime Cowboys assistant, who for the past two seasons has coached a 3-4 scheme that was new to him.

"[He's] done everything that he could do to get us principally in the 3-4," Jones said. "You have to weigh all of that. You don't weigh three negative ballgames when you look at Mike Zimmer."

When asked if he wants Zimmer back, Jones was noncommittal.
Slick Football
Quote:
They didn't want to blame the ball, or the Seahawks, but the Cowboys were not pleased with the football that was used for the attempt at a potential game-winning field goal Saturday night in Seattle.

Cowboys owner-general manager Jerry Jones contends -- and he wasn't the only one -- that the ball quarterback Tony Romo lost control of on the hold for a 19-yard field goal was brand new and wasn't worked in properly.

"That's the responsibility of the home team. They can prepare those balls and they still have to pass muster with the officials," Jones said after Seattle's 21-20 wild-card playoff victory. "But that home team can really knock the slickness off the ball -- that should be done. I've been talking about these balls for years and years. The more we can hold onto the football, the better the game you have. It's almost like placing a factor in the game to create a little ambiguity."

Romo agreed that the ball was slick.

"Obviously the reason I dropped it...it was a slick ball," Romo said. "It doesn't matter, though; you still have to catch it."

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 01-08-2007, 07:00 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule

Well, it obviously all starts with whether or not Bill Parcells comes back. I, personally, do not see him walking away from a team that he has spent 4 years of his blood and tears building up, while not yet actually accomplishing much. I just don't. Had he won the SB this year, maybe - and that's a big maybe - but as is there is no way that he is walking away.

I don't believe all the media fervor about it being a him-or-me situation between TO and BP, that's all just a sack of crap.

That said, I think the first thing is that Bill is going to need to watch all the tape on every single player on our team. For us fans, who don't have the benefit of the "All-22" angle and can't watch game tapes, we are left at the mercy of media types and the KC Joyners of the world to get an idea on how each individual performs. Usually, word-of-mouth reports start to circulate on some of the finer aspects of a player's game. Those things will start to play out.

BBD made a very good point in his post, one that he and I had gone over about a month or so ago, and that was the DEs converting from run to pass on early downs. They aren't doing it well enough, and as a result we aren't getting many LBs with a free run at the QB. I'm glad that he was able to see with his own eyes what I was talking about, but it is really nothing new. They have struggled for the whole season that way.

The reason I bring this up is because the first thing you start with in evaluating this team's play is the pass rush. Having Greg back healthy will be a big boost, as long has he isn't permanently ruined by the achilles injury. But we need more than that to get this thing fixed. To be honest, I can see BP going out and finding a veteran DE that has experience playing in the 3-4 to tutor the young guys and possibly as recourse during the season if they continue to struggle in this area. The problems start here.

That said, this draft class seems to be shaping up as an excellent one for pass rushers - especially the tweener variety. As of now, there is Adams, Moses, Spencer and Woodley all projected in the 1st round that are coming out. That may actually increase if there are any underclassmen that declare at the position. If there is a good value available with one of those guys, I could see us taking one of them.

Not only that, but there is another group of DEs that have the size to potentially play the position in the 3-4, while still having the athleticism to move and rush the passer effectively. Carriker and Crowder fit that mold, along with maybe that guy from Hawaii whose name escapes me right now.

So there are some options to improve the pass rush. Jerry Jones was asked in an interview not too long ago "what is the biggest concern on the team right now", and he responded without missing a beat "the pass rush". I think that will be looked at first and foremost, even though most of the "experts" will say that is it not a need.

Also, and this is just my two cents on the matter, I think that we aren't doing a good enough job from a scheme standpoint in disguising and delaying our blitz packages. Most often, when we bring the heavy heat, the offense knows what is coming before it gets there. That is something that should be worked on by the FO and coaching staff. It just doesn't seem like we are ever surprising people with what we do.

That, in conjunction with a year of work in the weight room for guys like Carpenter, Ratliff, Ware, Watkins and Hatcher - and some big-time technique work from DeMarcus - could likely turn this unit into a big-time pressure machine. The horses are there, they just need to be utilized.

So, that is my first, biggest impression on what our "off-season needs" are. There is much to add to that, but we have 4 months...what's the hurry?
Quote:
From what? His leg?
Quote:

DeMarcus Ware
Old 01-08-2007, 08:26 PM    (permalink
cowboyz
Rookie

cowboyz hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSlay4
Look at the Patriots and the Chargers, there stuck with no-name safeties, but they can generate pressure so it doesnt matter who they got in coverage.
They are no names...but they can cover 10 times better than Roy.
entirely wrong. the chargers secondary was one of the worst, they got burned all the time. then merriman and castillo got drafted and the problem went away. hmmmm....

i absolutely hate cowboys fans that dog roy williams, because he has been the only playmaker for the cowboys for a long time. All cowboys fans should love this guy. he's the guy that jacked up brandon jacobs last year causing a fumble in the end zone. he's the guy that intercepted mcnabb and put him out of his misery. he's the guy that makes the key interceptions, the guy that makes the key fumbles, that shoots in and stops people in their tracks. this year not so much against the good teams. but he had that int against wash, tampa, carolina, indy that were all huge plays.

newman had a chance in the endzone against seattle, and he didn't make it. aaron glenn got a chance, nothing, bobby carpenter, nothing. who made the int? roy williams, off of the play by newman of course, but he seems to be the guy that's always in the right place. he almost stopped shaun alexander on 4th down too.

i think anyone that dogs him is reading too much into the hatred by other team fans that hate cowboys players. that think they're all overrated, etc. that cheer anytime he makes a bad play. when any other safety gives up the td you never hear anything. the only time is when it's Roy Wiliams.

Roy is a playmaker, the cowboys need more like him not less. now they got ware and maybe bobby carpenter.
cowboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:27 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

everyone needs to remember how we felt about Roy before ellis went down, he was getting pick's and wasn't a huge liability. It's clear to me that although he may not be good in coverage, him getting burned is a result of zero pressure. I live in san diego and i watch all the charger games and its amazing to watch how little time qb's get against the chargers compared to how much time they get against us. Roy can play, he just cant be asked to cover on perfect passes that are having no pressure applied to them.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:49 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Jarvis Moss just got more expensive. (good pick Thule)

Troy Smith just got alot cheaper.

Urban Meyer. Wow.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:53 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336
everyone needs to remember how we felt about Roy before ellis went down, he was getting pick's and wasn't a huge liability. It's clear to me that although he may not be good in coverage, him getting burned is a result of zero pressure. I live in san diego and i watch all the charger games and its amazing to watch how little time qb's get against the chargers compared to how much time they get against us. Roy can play, he just cant be asked to cover on perfect passes that are having no pressure applied to them.
Burns, Roy was having a bad season before Eliis went down. Giants and Philly early in the season come to mind.

SD, in terms of rush, is amazing and not a fair comparison. They have 4 excellent pass rushers. Only Baltimore compares.

Roy needs something new in his professional life. It is a tough situation for all involved but the Cowboys can't go another season with that low a level of play at the SS position.

As a safety ya gotta be able to cover in some scheme. Roy can't cover in about any. Particularly with teams spreading the field more today then ever.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:46 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mike Zimmer, in a 4-3 scheme, what's your opinion? He's being talked to by Petrino in Atlanta.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:12 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Romo had a bad game, but it was his first playoff game in his career.. He had a very good season for us (the best from a QB since Aikman).. Irony is that he lost the game not as our QB but as our holder..
He drive the team in poisition to win the game after playing poorly for the most part of the game..
I trust Romo, I think he will be a special player for us..

And I'm still not confident in Watkins. I'm asking why he comes out in the nickel situation and Nate Jones comes in? I still want a big time FS.

And if the Panthers cut Jenkins can you see him playin NT? I've heard the Panthers will have a lot of cap issues...

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:44 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver
Mike Zimmer, in a 4-3 scheme, what's your opinion? He's being talked to by Petrino in Atlanta.
He is a master in the 4-3. He lead us to the number one defense with far less talent then we have now. He can do wonders...you actually have a very similar defense to what we had in 04.

Designs by me
Quote: