Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2007, 04:48 AM    (permalink
ncbigbody
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Austin, TX.
Posts: 551
Reputation: 27
ncbigbody hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano
Romo had a bad game, but it was his first playoff game in his career.. He had a very good season for us (the best from a QB since Aikman).. Irony is that he lost the game not as our QB but as our holder..
He drive the team in poisition to win the game after playing poorly for the most part of the game..
I trust Romo, I think he will be a special player for us..

And I'm still not confident in Watkins. I'm asking why he comes out in the nickel situation and Nate Jones comes in? I still want a big time FS.

And if the Panthers cut Jenkins can you see him playin NT? I've heard the Panthers will have a lot of cap issues...
Jason Ferguson was good for as a run stuffer. We have other needs than NT.
How about some "good" offensive lineman, 2 new safeties, and a playmaking Wide Reciever.
ncbigbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:30 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,078
Reputation: 41
cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

From Todd Archer of the DMN ...... start repeating after me ..... yawn......

The Cowboys believe they are close to being contenders in the NFC, but how close?

What are the missing personnel pieces?

Here are a few suggestions:

Free safety with range: The coverage problems at safety were well chronicled this year. From Roy Williams to Patrick Watkins to Keith Davis, the safeties had difficulties in pass coverage.

With mega millions tied up in Williams and cornerback Anthony Henry, and Terence Newman's contract expiring in 2008, would Jones want to pour more millions into a free agent? Coach Bill Parcells said he thought Watkins can develop into a consistent player, but that is no sure thing.

The answer might already be on the roster: Henry. He played safety in college. He led the team with 23 pass deflections during the season, and although he's not a speedster, he is always around the ball.

Switching Henry would create a need at cornerback, but that could be answered in the draft.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:33 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,078
Reputation: 41
cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano
Romo had a bad game, but it was his first playoff game in his career.. He had a very good season for us (the best from a QB since Aikman).. Irony is that he lost the game not as our QB but as our holder..
He drive the team in poisition to win the game after playing poorly for the most part of the game..
I trust Romo, I think he will be a special player for us..

And I'm still not confident in Watkins. I'm asking why he comes out in the nickel situation and Nate Jones comes in? I still want a big time FS.

And if the Panthers cut Jenkins can you see him playin NT? I've heard the Panthers will have a lot of cap issues...
Jenkins used to be great but he looked slow this year. Laboring under excessive weight and bad knees. With that said if he knees check out that is an ugrade and I am sure he can drop a few for BP.

They did sign Komeatu who they claim to like and have a bit tied up at DT.

I am a proponent of getting Rogers instead, seems more athletic. Jenkins more powerful. But I think they can trade for Rogers and no one else does. So, we'll see how much Marinelli hates him this offseason.

Interesting idea though.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 11:05 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 28,899
Reputation: 3803561
bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quick points.

- I agree with DMWsackmachine, this was just one of those years.

- If Roy's cap situation makes him untradeable, all you could do is hope and pray he loses 20 lbs in the offseason, because I still feel that at his current frame he will continue to have the same problems that has plagued him this year. He must lose weight, he's too big right now. And he needs to look at film and dedicate himself to working on his coverage in the offseason. I think his head got way too inflated over the years, and he thinks he's better than he is. He needs dramatic improvement, the SS position is crucial in a 3-4 defense and he needs to improve.

- Romo will be fine. Yes he had a bad game, but like I said before, first year starters always have bad games in their first playoff appearance. Brady is the exception, not the norm. Romo is going to be a great qb for you guys. The NFC East as a whole will all have very capable qb's for years to come, Im high on all 4 of them.

- The defense may need a pass rusher, but Id leave the LB core alone right now. If youre gonna get a pass rusher, make it a front 3 guy in the draft, because I think alot of the issues, in fact most of the issues are technique related. That can be fixed, and I expect it to be fixed this offseason. After watching with my own eyes what DMWSackmachine has said all along, I finally see whats wrong. Its all technique, very correctable stuff.

- Watkins will be fine. You don't need a FS. Me and DMWSackmachine have talked about this before. Watkins has all the physical ability in the world. In fact, he's just as physically talented as any of the these safeties coming out this year. He was a little raw, and you saw it over the course of the season. But he did improve over the year (remember, he was only a rookie), and he did very well towards the end of the year. During the offseason, he will continue even more. And BP is high on him, which means he has faith he will be good. FS is not a problem for you guys. Like I said, its not the FS, its the SS. Roy needs to take some responsibiltity and step his game up.

- If I was a GM of a 3-4 defense and I heard that Dallas didn't want Bradie James anymore, Id be very happy to accomodate your needs so he could be on my team. James is that hammer in the middle that every 3-4 defense needs. I personally felt he was PB caliber material behind Urlacher and Pierce, but thats just me.
__________________
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 11:26 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,078
Reputation: 41
cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Quick points.

- I agree with DMWsackmachine, this was just one of those years.

- If Roy's cap situation makes him untradeable, all you could do is hope and pray he loses 20 lbs in the offseason, because I still feel that at his current frame he will continue to have the same problems that has plagued him this year. He must lose weight, he's too big right now. And he needs to look at film and dedicate himself to working on his coverage in the offseason. I think his head got way too inflated over the years, and he thinks he's better than he is. He needs dramatic improvement, the SS position is crucial in a 3-4 defense and he needs to improve.

- Romo will be fine. Yes he had a bad game, but like I said before, first year starters always have bad games in their first playoff appearance. Brady is the exception, not the norm. Romo is going to be a great qb for you guys. The NFC East as a whole will all have very capable qb's for years to come, Im high on all 4 of them.

- The defense may need a pass rusher, but Id leave the LB core alone right now. If youre gonna get a pass rusher, make it a front 3 guy in the draft, because I think alot of the issues, in fact most of the issues are technique related. That can be fixed, and I expect it to be fixed this offseason. After watching with my own eyes what DMWSackmachine has said all along, I finally see whats wrong. Its all technique, very correctable stuff.

- Watkins will be fine. You don't need a FS. Me and DMWSackmachine have talked about this before. Watkins has all the physical ability in the world. In fact, he's just as physically talented as any of the these safeties coming out this year. He was a little raw, and you saw it over the course of the season. But he did improve over the year (remember, he was only a rookie), and he did very well towards the end of the year. During the offseason, he will continue even more. And BP is high on him, which means he has faith he will be good. FS is not a problem for you guys. Like I said, its not the FS, its the SS. Roy needs to take some responsibiltity and step his game up.

- If I was a GM of a 3-4 defense and I heard that Dallas didn't want Bradie James anymore, Id be very happy to accomodate your needs so he could be on my team. James is that hammer in the middle that every 3-4 defense needs. I personally felt he was PB caliber material behind Urlacher and Pierce, but thats just me.
You like James huh? Please explain. I am curious b/c he looks lost and a step behind out there.

To me he looks like a beefy 4-3 MLB who is perfect in a blitzing scheme where he can quickly plug within a 20 yard box around the Center.

On Roy, the chattering classes in the Dallas media are already talking trade or wight loss for Roy. Even Jerry said they need to find Roy a job he can do.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 11:34 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 28,899
Reputation: 3803561
bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Quick points.

- I agree with DMWsackmachine, this was just one of those years.

- If Roy's cap situation makes him untradeable, all you could do is hope and pray he loses 20 lbs in the offseason, because I still feel that at his current frame he will continue to have the same problems that has plagued him this year. He must lose weight, he's too big right now. And he needs to look at film and dedicate himself to working on his coverage in the offseason. I think his head got way too inflated over the years, and he thinks he's better than he is. He needs dramatic improvement, the SS position is crucial in a 3-4 defense and he needs to improve.

- Romo will be fine. Yes he had a bad game, but like I said before, first year starters always have bad games in their first playoff appearance. Brady is the exception, not the norm. Romo is going to be a great qb for you guys. The NFC East as a whole will all have very capable qb's for years to come, Im high on all 4 of them.

- The defense may need a pass rusher, but Id leave the LB core alone right now. If youre gonna get a pass rusher, make it a front 3 guy in the draft, because I think alot of the issues, in fact most of the issues are technique related. That can be fixed, and I expect it to be fixed this offseason. After watching with my own eyes what DMWSackmachine has said all along, I finally see whats wrong. Its all technique, very correctable stuff.

- Watkins will be fine. You don't need a FS. Me and DMWSackmachine have talked about this before. Watkins has all the physical ability in the world. In fact, he's just as physically talented as any of the these safeties coming out this year. He was a little raw, and you saw it over the course of the season. But he did improve over the year (remember, he was only a rookie), and he did very well towards the end of the year. During the offseason, he will continue even more. And BP is high on him, which means he has faith he will be good. FS is not a problem for you guys. Like I said, its not the FS, its the SS. Roy needs to take some responsibiltity and step his game up.

- If I was a GM of a 3-4 defense and I heard that Dallas didn't want Bradie James anymore, Id be very happy to accomodate your needs so he could be on my team. James is that hammer in the middle that every 3-4 defense needs. I personally felt he was PB caliber material behind Urlacher and Pierce, but thats just me.
You like James huh? Please explain. I am curious b/c he looks lost and a step behind out there.

To me he looks like a beefy 4-3 MLB who is perfect in a blitzing scheme where he can quickly plug within a 20 yard box around the Center.

On Roy, the chattering classes in the Dallas media are already talking trade or wight loss for Roy. Even Jerry said they need to find Roy a job he can do.
Bradie James is a run thumper. He bursts through the gap and absolutely destroys the running back, like Jeremiah Trotter. Because theres only 3 downlinemen in a 3-4, you need a ILB like that who can smash with linemen and stop the run. Almost like a standup DT if you will.

James is that, and he's great at what he does. Yes, you lose a little in pass coverage, but that didn't stop Harry Carson's Giants, or Teddy Johnson's Patriots from succeeding.

The thing is because of Roy's ineffeciencies, theyre asking James to do some things that he shouldn't be asked to do in pass coverage, and it makes him look bad. We had the same problem with Antonio Pierce here because Tim Lewis is a moron.

James does a fine job defending an intermediate zone in the middle. He struggles to chase the speedy RBs out of the backfield in man coverage, but thats not his job. Akin should be assigned that role. Or if the RB is a burner, you assign a safety that role. No MIKE in the NFL can chase Westbrook, maybe only Wilson and Urlacher. Bradie James is not the problem. I think youre being a little too hard on him.
__________________
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 11:38 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,078
Reputation: 41
cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Quick points.

- I agree with DMWsackmachine, this was just one of those years.

- If Roy's cap situation makes him untradeable, all you could do is hope and pray he loses 20 lbs in the offseason, because I still feel that at his current frame he will continue to have the same problems that has plagued him this year. He must lose weight, he's too big right now. And he needs to look at film and dedicate himself to working on his coverage in the offseason. I think his head got way too inflated over the years, and he thinks he's better than he is. He needs dramatic improvement, the SS position is crucial in a 3-4 defense and he needs to improve.

- Romo will be fine. Yes he had a bad game, but like I said before, first year starters always have bad games in their first playoff appearance. Brady is the exception, not the norm. Romo is going to be a great qb for you guys. The NFC East as a whole will all have very capable qb's for years to come, Im high on all 4 of them.

- The defense may need a pass rusher, but Id leave the LB core alone right now. If youre gonna get a pass rusher, make it a front 3 guy in the draft, because I think alot of the issues, in fact most of the issues are technique related. That can be fixed, and I expect it to be fixed this offseason. After watching with my own eyes what DMWSackmachine has said all along, I finally see whats wrong. Its all technique, very correctable stuff.

- Watkins will be fine. You don't need a FS. Me and DMWSackmachine have talked about this before. Watkins has all the physical ability in the world. In fact, he's just as physically talented as any of the these safeties coming out this year. He was a little raw, and you saw it over the course of the season. But he did improve over the year (remember, he was only a rookie), and he did very well towards the end of the year. During the offseason, he will continue even more. And BP is high on him, which means he has faith he will be good. FS is not a problem for you guys. Like I said, its not the FS, its the SS. Roy needs to take some responsibiltity and step his game up.

- If I was a GM of a 3-4 defense and I heard that Dallas didn't want Bradie James anymore, Id be very happy to accomodate your needs so he could be on my team. James is that hammer in the middle that every 3-4 defense needs. I personally felt he was PB caliber material behind Urlacher and Pierce, but thats just me.
You like James huh? Please explain. I am curious b/c he looks lost and a step behind out there.

To me he looks like a beefy 4-3 MLB who is perfect in a blitzing scheme where he can quickly plug within a 20 yard box around the Center.

On Roy, the chattering classes in the Dallas media are already talking trade or wight loss for Roy. Even Jerry said they need to find Roy a job he can do.
Bradie James is a run thumper. He bursts through the gap and absolutely destroys the running back, like Jeremiah Trotter. Because theres only 3 downlinemen in a 3-4, you need a ILB like that who can smash with linemen and stop the run. Almost like a standup DT if you will.

James is that, and he's great at what he does. Yes, you lose a little in pass coverage, but that didn't stop Harry Carson's Giants, or Teddy Johnson's Patriots from succeeding.

The thing is because of Roy's ineffeciencies, theyre asking James to do some things that he shouldn't be asked to do in pass coverage, and it makes him look bad. We had the same problem with Antonio Pierce here because Tim Lewis is a moron.

James does a fine job defending an intermediate zone in the middle. He struggles to chase the RB out of the backfield in man coverage, but thats not his job. Akin should be assigned that role. Bradie James is not the problem. I think youre being a little too hard on him.
Fair enuff but then explain to me why SD (a good example) use two light weight ILB to chase around the ball and cover the middle of the field?

Edwards, Godfrey and number 54 are small.

I just think Bradie (all ILB) in todays league playing 3-4 can not match the power and size of the Guards. This is why I think he is a 4-3 MLB where the tackles occupying the interior 3.

But you know what you are saying so I am willing to listen to all your thoughts. You are really good and your thought (while some disagree) usually prove to be very accurate.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 11:46 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 28,899
Reputation: 3803561
bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Quick points.

- I agree with DMWsackmachine, this was just one of those years.

- If Roy's cap situation makes him untradeable, all you could do is hope and pray he loses 20 lbs in the offseason, because I still feel that at his current frame he will continue to have the same problems that has plagued him this year. He must lose weight, he's too big right now. And he needs to look at film and dedicate himself to working on his coverage in the offseason. I think his head got way too inflated over the years, and he thinks he's better than he is. He needs dramatic improvement, the SS position is crucial in a 3-4 defense and he needs to improve.

- Romo will be fine. Yes he had a bad game, but like I said before, first year starters always have bad games in their first playoff appearance. Brady is the exception, not the norm. Romo is going to be a great qb for you guys. The NFC East as a whole will all have very capable qb's for years to come, Im high on all 4 of them.

- The defense may need a pass rusher, but Id leave the LB core alone right now. If youre gonna get a pass rusher, make it a front 3 guy in the draft, because I think alot of the issues, in fact most of the issues are technique related. That can be fixed, and I expect it to be fixed this offseason. After watching with my own eyes what DMWSackmachine has said all along, I finally see whats wrong. Its all technique, very correctable stuff.

- Watkins will be fine. You don't need a FS. Me and DMWSackmachine have talked about this before. Watkins has all the physical ability in the world. In fact, he's just as physically talented as any of the these safeties coming out this year. He was a little raw, and you saw it over the course of the season. But he did improve over the year (remember, he was only a rookie), and he did very well towards the end of the year. During the offseason, he will continue even more. And BP is high on him, which means he has faith he will be good. FS is not a problem for you guys. Like I said, its not the FS, its the SS. Roy needs to take some responsibiltity and step his game up.

- If I was a GM of a 3-4 defense and I heard that Dallas didn't want Bradie James anymore, Id be very happy to accomodate your needs so he could be on my team. James is that hammer in the middle that every 3-4 defense needs. I personally felt he was PB caliber material behind Urlacher and Pierce, but thats just me.
You like James huh? Please explain. I am curious b/c he looks lost and a step behind out there.

To me he looks like a beefy 4-3 MLB who is perfect in a blitzing scheme where he can quickly plug within a 20 yard box around the Center.

On Roy, the chattering classes in the Dallas media are already talking trade or wight loss for Roy. Even Jerry said they need to find Roy a job he can do.
Bradie James is a run thumper. He bursts through the gap and absolutely destroys the running back, like Jeremiah Trotter. Because theres only 3 downlinemen in a 3-4, you need a ILB like that who can smash with linemen and stop the run. Almost like a standup DT if you will.

James is that, and he's great at what he does. Yes, you lose a little in pass coverage, but that didn't stop Harry Carson's Giants, or Teddy Johnson's Patriots from succeeding.

The thing is because of Roy's ineffeciencies, theyre asking James to do some things that he shouldn't be asked to do in pass coverage, and it makes him look bad. We had the same problem with Antonio Pierce here because Tim Lewis is a moron.

James does a fine job defending an intermediate zone in the middle. He struggles to chase the RB out of the backfield in man coverage, but thats not his job. Akin should be assigned that role. Bradie James is not the problem. I think youre being a little too hard on him.
Fair enuff but then explain to me why SD (a good example) use two light weight ILB to chase around the ball and cover the middle of the field?

Edwards, Godfrey and number 54 are small.

I just think Bradie (all ILB) in todays league playing 3-4 can not match the power and size of the Guards. This is why I think he is a 4-3 MLB where the tackles occupying the interior 3.

But you know what you are saying so I am willing to listen to all your thoughts. You are really good and your thought (while some disagree) usually prove to be very accurate.
SD is the exception, not the norm. Jamal Williams is so dominant that they can get away with undersized ILBs because Williams devours the oline all by himself. They also have better DEs who do a better job occupying the oline. Remember, SD was considering trading Donnie Edwards last offseason, so they probably felt that they needed improvement on the inside.

Also, Godfrey isn't really that small. He's their poorman's run thumper.

I wrote this in a thread on the NFL main site, it helps explain the differences between the 4-3 and 3-4, and alot of misconceptions about the schemes. Check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
I also want to discuss this notion that the 3-4 is quicker than the 4-3. This is actually false.

We assume that because you have an extra linebacker, that your team defense is faster, but the truth is 3-4 defenses are slower than 4-3 defenses, and actually thicker when you add up the total body mass of the front 7.

The prototypical 3-4 has these respective weights.

DE - 290
NT - 340
OLB - 260
ILB - 250

Thats 1940 lbs of mass in the front 7.

The prototypical 4-3 bodyweights are

DE - 270
NT - 310
UT - 300
MLB - 240
SLB - 240
WILL - 235

Thats 1865 lbs of mass.

The 4-3 has smaller quicker linebackers who play the middle of the field faster than the 3-4.

Remember, while the 3-4 may have one extra LB, youre usually blitzing that LB, leaving 3 LBs in coverage who tend to be thicker than 4-3 Lbs, so you have less speed in coverage. Plus, your 3 downlinemen are essentially all DTs, so you get less overall speed out of the pass rush as well.

This is why the 3-4 is better against the run, but worst against the pass. You have a thicker front 7 against the run, and its spaced out so its difficult to bounce it outside as well. However, the overall weight of the front 7 reduces team speed, making coverage a little slower, and pass rush a little slower, thus equating to worse pass defense.

Don't believe me? Think about who has the best run defenses in the league. Dallas, Pittsburgh, and SD. All 3-4 teams. Who has the best pass defenses? Generally Cover 2 teams, built on speed and 4-3 fronts, like the Bears.
__________________
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 11:52 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,078
Reputation: 41
cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Quick points.

- I agree with DMWsackmachine, this was just one of those years.

- If Roy's cap situation makes him untradeable, all you could do is hope and pray he loses 20 lbs in the offseason, because I still feel that at his current frame he will continue to have the same problems that has plagued him this year. He must lose weight, he's too big right now. And he needs to look at film and dedicate himself to working on his coverage in the offseason. I think his head got way too inflated over the years, and he thinks he's better than he is. He needs dramatic improvement, the SS position is crucial in a 3-4 defense and he needs to improve.

- Romo will be fine. Yes he had a bad game, but like I said before, first year starters always have bad games in their first playoff appearance. Brady is the exception, not the norm. Romo is going to be a great qb for you guys. The NFC East as a whole will all have very capable qb's for years to come, Im high on all 4 of them.

- The defense may need a pass rusher, but Id leave the LB core alone right now. If youre gonna get a pass rusher, make it a front 3 guy in the draft, because I think alot of the issues, in fact most of the issues are technique related. That can be fixed, and I expect it to be fixed this offseason. After watching with my own eyes what DMWSackmachine has said all along, I finally see whats wrong. Its all technique, very correctable stuff.

- Watkins will be fine. You don't need a FS. Me and DMWSackmachine have talked about this before. Watkins has all the physical ability in the world. In fact, he's just as physically talented as any of the these safeties coming out this year. He was a little raw, and you saw it over the course of the season. But he did improve over the year (remember, he was only a rookie), and he did very well towards the end of the year. During the offseason, he will continue even more. And BP is high on him, which means he has faith he will be good. FS is not a problem for you guys. Like I said, its not the FS, its the SS. Roy needs to take some responsibiltity and step his game up.

- If I was a GM of a 3-4 defense and I heard that Dallas didn't want Bradie James anymore, Id be very happy to accomodate your needs so he could be on my team. James is that hammer in the middle that every 3-4 defense needs. I personally felt he was PB caliber material behind Urlacher and Pierce, but thats just me.
You like James huh? Please explain. I am curious b/c he looks lost and a step behind out there.

To me he looks like a beefy 4-3 MLB who is perfect in a blitzing scheme where he can quickly plug within a 20 yard box around the Center.

On Roy, the chattering classes in the Dallas media are already talking trade or wight loss for Roy. Even Jerry said they need to find Roy a job he can do.
Bradie James is a run thumper. He bursts through the gap and absolutely destroys the running back, like Jeremiah Trotter. Because theres only 3 downlinemen in a 3-4, you need a ILB like that who can smash with linemen and stop the run. Almost like a standup DT if you will.

James is that, and he's great at what he does. Yes, you lose a little in pass coverage, but that didn't stop Harry Carson's Giants, or Teddy Johnson's Patriots from succeeding.

The thing is because of Roy's ineffeciencies, theyre asking James to do some things that he shouldn't be asked to do in pass coverage, and it makes him look bad. We had the same problem with Antonio Pierce here because Tim Lewis is a moron.

James does a fine job defending an intermediate zone in the middle. He struggles to chase the RB out of the backfield in man coverage, but thats not his job. Akin should be assigned that role. Bradie James is not the problem. I think youre being a little too hard on him.
Fair enuff but then explain to me why SD (a good example) use two light weight ILB to chase around the ball and cover the middle of the field?

Edwards, Godfrey and number 54 are small.

I just think Bradie (all ILB) in todays league playing 3-4 can not match the power and size of the Guards. This is why I think he is a 4-3 MLB where the tackles occupying the interior 3.

But you know what you are saying so I am willing to listen to all your thoughts. You are really good and your thought (while some disagree) usually prove to be very accurate.
SD is the exception, not the norm. Jamal Williams is so dominant that they can get away with undersized ILBs because Williams devours the oline all by himself. They also have better DEs who do a better job occupying the oline. Remember, SD was considering trading Donnie Edwards last offseason, so they probably felt that they needed improvement on the inside.

Also, Godfrey isn't really that small. He's their poorman's run thumper.

I wrote this in a thread on the NFL main site, it helps explain the differences between the 4-3 and 3-4, and alot of misconceptions about the schemes. Check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
I also want to discuss this notion that the 3-4 is quicker than the 4-3. This is actually false.

We assume that because you have an extra linebacker, that your team defense is faster, but the truth is 3-4 defenses are slower than 4-3 defenses, and actually thicker when you add up the total body mass of the front 7.

The prototypical 3-4 has these respective weights.

DE - 290
NT - 340
OLB - 260
ILB - 250

Thats 1940 lbs of mass in the front 7.

The prototypical 4-3 bodyweights are

DE - 270
NT - 310
UT - 300
MLB - 240
SLB - 240
WILL - 235

Thats 1865 lbs of mass.

The 4-3 has smaller quicker linebackers who play the middle of the field faster than the 3-4.

Remember, while the 3-4 may have one extra LB, youre usually blitzing that LB, leaving 3 LBs in coverage who tend to be thicker than 4-3 Lbs, so you have less speed in coverage. Plus, your 3 downlinemen are essentially all DTs, so you get less overall speed out of the pass rush as well.

This is why the 3-4 is better against the run, but worst against the pass. You have a thicker front 7 against the run, and its spaced out so its difficult to bounce it outside as well. However, the overall weight of the front 7 reduces team speed, making coverage a little slower, and pass rush a little slower, thus equating to worse pass defense.

Don't believe me? Think about who has the best run defenses in the league. Dallas, Pittsburgh, and SD. All 3-4 teams. Who has the best pass defenses? Generally Cover 2 teams, built on speed and 4-3 fronts, like the Bears.
I get what you are writing but given how big Guards and Centers are getting to expect an ILB at 250 to occupy one of those beasts versus the run is hard.

I get a 250 ILB with Guards and Centers at 290-310 but guys today are going 320 plus regularly. Only one team has a 250lb thumper and that is Clevaland with Davis. Davis was picked to be a 4-3 guy by Butch Davis and was converted....

By the way, all the 3-4 teams have lighter ILB and Safeties than the Cowboys. I thought that was interesting data.

As a result not sure I agree 100% with what you wrote.

What it does beg though is the question... what is the most important position in a 3-4. Answer is NT by far it seems.

Your NT helps define how the DEs play and both ILB.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:08 PM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 897
Reputation: 5913
FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.
Default

The DMN is reporting that Rivera will have back surgery today for another herniated disk. If guard wasn't at the top our of list of team needs before, it should be now. I still say if Blalock is there when we draft in the first round, we should take him. He fills an immediate need and should be one of the BPA in the area where we will be drafting.
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:10 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,781
Reputation: 35211
DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Quick points.

- I agree with DMWsackmachine, this was just one of those years.

- If Roy's cap situation makes him untradeable, all you could do is hope and pray he loses 20 lbs in the offseason, because I still feel that at his current frame he will continue to have the same problems that has plagued him this year. He must lose weight, he's too big right now. And he needs to look at film and dedicate himself to working on his coverage in the offseason. I think his head got way too inflated over the years, and he thinks he's better than he is. He needs dramatic improvement, the SS position is crucial in a 3-4 defense and he needs to improve.

- Romo will be fine. Yes he had a bad game, but like I said before, first year starters always have bad games in their first playoff appearance. Brady is the exception, not the norm. Romo is going to be a great qb for you guys. The NFC East as a whole will all have very capable qb's for years to come, Im high on all 4 of them.

- The defense may need a pass rusher, but Id leave the LB core alone right now. If youre gonna get a pass rusher, make it a front 3 guy in the draft, because I think alot of the issues, in fact most of the issues are technique related. That can be fixed, and I expect it to be fixed this offseason. After watching with my own eyes what DMWSackmachine has said all along, I finally see whats wrong. Its all technique, very correctable stuff.

- Watkins will be fine. You don't need a FS. Me and DMWSackmachine have talked about this before. Watkins has all the physical ability in the world. In fact, he's just as physically talented as any of the these safeties coming out this year. He was a little raw, and you saw it over the course of the season. But he did improve over the year (remember, he was only a rookie), and he did very well towards the end of the year. During the offseason, he will continue even more. And BP is high on him, which means he has faith he will be good. FS is not a problem for you guys. Like I said, its not the FS, its the SS. Roy needs to take some responsibiltity and step his game up.

- If I was a GM of a 3-4 defense and I heard that Dallas didn't want Bradie James anymore, Id be very happy to accomodate your needs so he could be on my team. James is that hammer in the middle that every 3-4 defense needs. I personally felt he was PB caliber material behind Urlacher and Pierce, but thats just me.
Btw BBD, please don't feed our troll. You may not have seen it develop, but this guy has been talking down to and inciting people left and right since he joined at the first of December. He is currently serving a board-wide ban of all responses, though he doesn't know. Anyhow, don't take anything that he says as an indication of the way people here feel.

However, just to comment on Roy, you mentioned a point that I was promoting heavily last offseason, but that has kind of been ignored. I don't think he studies enough. He doesn't seem to recognize plays quickly, and rarely ever baits a QB into making a mistake with him. I think he's just been resting on his laurels, thinking "I'm the biggest hitter in the league, I don't need to cover" and not putting in the kind of work that you need to in order to be truly special. This has all combined to make him average in coverage.

Despite what certain unnamed idiots may think, he is not THAT BAD in that aspect of the game. He is simply non-descript, but the fact that he is a perennial Pro Bowler, along with being the most visibly recognized Cowboy for the last several years, magnifies it when he makes a mistake in coverage. You never hear "Wow, there's Michael Boulware getting beat deep again". You never hear "Hmmm, there's Terrence Kiel giving up his 3rd TD on the game". You just don't. But every. single. time. that Roy Williams makes a mistake in coverage it is pointed out by the announcers as well as on highlight shows and game-analysis segments on NFLTA and NFL Live etc.

That's fine, and it is basically as it should be, because if you want to be considered among the best ever - let alone among the best currently - you have to be an all-around player.

Safeties get beat in this league. If the offense can find a way to get an opposing team's safety one-on-one in the deep part of the field against one of its two top pass recievers, then the offense is going to win more often then not, and the O-coordinator is going to get a lot of good press. That's just the way it is. However, if that happens and the safety finds a way to make the play most of the time, then the safety in question is going to start getting a lot of recognition.

The point is this: right now it is a very chic thing to criticize Roy Williams and call for his head. I want to make it clear: I am not justifying him in his bad play, but I am trying to bring some perspective on how he should be evaluated. Those that are calling for him to be traded or cut are delusional. He is still, as is, one of the best 5 strong safeties in this league. Name me a SS who you think is great, and I will show you an example of him being burned this year. Go ahead. Ed Reed. Troy Polamalu. Take your best shot. The point is that, while he has been making far too many mistakes for an elite safety to be making, he is still playing at a very high level.

It is my opinion that he simply needs to spend more time in the film room, and be more conscientious of his responsibilities. There is more than enough compelling evidence to back me up.
__________________
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21ST View Post
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:12 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 28,899
Reputation: 3803561
bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
I get what you are writing but given how big Guards and Centers are getting to expect an ILB at 250 to occupy one of those beasts versus the run is hard.

I get a 250 ILB with Guards and Centers at 290-310 but guys today are going 320 plus regularly. Only one team has a 250lb thumper and that is Clevaland with Davis. Davis was picked to be a 4-3 guy by Butch Davis and was converted....

By the way, all the 3-4 teams have lighter ILB and Safeties than the Cowboys. I thought that was interesting data.

As a result not sure I agree 100% with what you wrote.

What it does beg though is the question... what is the most important position in a 3-4. Answer is NT by far it seems.

Your NT helps define how the DEs play and both ILB.
The OGs may have weight on them, but at 250 youre generally strong enough to take on the blocks, and quick enough to bubble around them. If youre too small, you'll get engulfed by the OGs, if youre too big, you'll be too slow to play the position. 250 is the range you want.

Remember, momentum = mass X velocity. While the OGs have weight, theyre not nearly as fast as a 250 LB. So when they meet on the blocks, if the LB has enough speed coming in, he can use his mix of strength/speed to take on the OG. But its been seen over the course of decades of development of the 3-4 scheme that if youre too small, ie 235 to 240 range, you have a harder time against the OGs in the run game because you still need some strength to disengage. you can't totally rely on speed.

Look at Ray Lewis and Jonathan Vilma as classic examples of light weight guys who struggled in the 3-4.

Remember, at the end of the day, this is a runner's league. The most important stat on defense is run defense. And the 3-4 is the best alignment at stopping the run. You lose some ability against the pass with this alignment, but every defense has a weakness, and pass coverage is usually the weakness of the 3-4.

But like I said in other threads, I much rather have my defense's weakness in the pass game than in the run game.

You ask whats the most important position in a 3-4. I say easily NT. They anchor everything around them. The entire interior depends on the play of the NT. If I were to rate positions by importance, it would be like this.

1. NT
2. Pass rushing WILL
3. DE
4. SS
5. ILB

NT is there to set everything up, pass rushing WILL is your pass rush. They are the 2 most important. DE is important because at the end of the day battles are won and lost in the trenches, and you need a dominant front 3 for your 3-4 to be dominant.

SS is important because with the thicker LBs in the 3-4, it puts extra emphasis on your SS to be able to play well against the TE and in coverage. This is why Ive been saying that Roy Williams is the real culprit of the pass coverage issues. Of course every pass coverage scheme lives and dies with the pass rush, so thats first and foremost the problem, but if you want to point out an error in the pass coverage, look no further than Roy Williams.

Look at the 3-4 defenses of Parcell's coaching tree. Patriots and Jets. They both have SS who have alot of responsibility. In BP's 3-4, the SS is integral to the defense. In most 3-4 defenses for that matter.

The 3-4 in a nutshell has 2 undersized DEs standing up as OLBs, and 2 thick ILBs in the middle. That doesn't make for great pass coverage. That puts extra emphasis on the safeties to hold the fort in pass coverage, whether its a deep zone, or man coverage on the TE.

And what seems to be the problem right now in coverage? You guessed it.

Look, Im going all over the place with my response, so I'll end it simply. Fix the pass rush and Roy Williams, fix the pass coverage. Thats it.
__________________
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:16 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 28,899
Reputation: 3803561
bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Quick points.

- I agree with DMWsackmachine, this was just one of those years.

- If Roy's cap situation makes him untradeable, all you could do is hope and pray he loses 20 lbs in the offseason, because I still feel that at his current frame he will continue to have the same problems that has plagued him this year. He must lose weight, he's too big right now. And he needs to look at film and dedicate himself to working on his coverage in the offseason. I think his head got way too inflated over the years, and he thinks he's better than he is. He needs dramatic improvement, the SS position is crucial in a 3-4 defense and he needs to improve.

- Romo will be fine. Yes he had a bad game, but like I said before, first year starters always have bad games in their first playoff appearance. Brady is the exception, not the norm. Romo is going to be a great qb for you guys. The NFC East as a whole will all have very capable qb's for years to come, Im high on all 4 of them.

- The defense may need a pass rusher, but Id leave the LB core alone right now. If youre gonna get a pass rusher, make it a front 3 guy in the draft, because I think alot of the issues, in fact most of the issues are technique related. That can be fixed, and I expect it to be fixed this offseason. After watching with my own eyes what DMWSackmachine has said all along, I finally see whats wrong. Its all technique, very correctable stuff.

- Watkins will be fine. You don't need a FS. Me and DMWSackmachine have talked about this before. Watkins has all the physical ability in the world. In fact, he's just as physically talented as any of the these safeties coming out this year. He was a little raw, and you saw it over the course of the season. But he did improve over the year (remember, he was only a rookie), and he did very well towards the end of the year. During the offseason, he will continue even more. And BP is high on him, which means he has faith he will be good. FS is not a problem for you guys. Like I said, its not the FS, its the SS. Roy needs to take some responsibiltity and step his game up.

- If I was a GM of a 3-4 defense and I heard that Dallas didn't want Bradie James anymore, Id be very happy to accomodate your needs so he could be on my team. James is that hammer in the middle that every 3-4 defense needs. I personally felt he was PB caliber material behind Urlacher and Pierce, but thats just me.
Btw BBD, please don't feed our troll. You may not have seen it develop, but this guy has been talking down to and inciting people left and right since he joined at the first of December. He is currently serving a board-wide ban of all responses, though he doesn't know. Anyhow, don't take anything that he says as an indication of the way people here feel.

However, just to comment on Roy, you mentioned a point that I was promoting heavily last offseason, but that has kind of been ignored. I don't think he studies enough. He doesn't seem to recognize plays quickly, and rarely ever baits a QB into making a mistake with him. I think he's just been resting on his laurels, thinking "I'm the biggest hitter in the league, I don't need to cover" and not putting in the kind of work that you need to in order to be truly special. This has all combined to make him average in coverage.

Despite what certain unnamed idiots may think, he is not THAT BAD in that aspect of the game. He is simply non-descript, but the fact that he is a perennial Pro Bowler, along with being the most visibly recognized Cowboy for the last several years, magnifies it when he makes a mistake in coverage. You never hear "Wow, there's Michael Boulware getting beat deep again". You never hear "Hmmm, there's Terrence Kiel giving up his 3rd TD on the game". You just don't. But every. single. time. that Roy Williams makes a mistake in coverage it is pointed out by the announcers as well as on highlight shows and game-analysis segments on NFLTA and NFL Live etc.

That's fine, and it is basically as it should be, because if you want to be considered among the best ever - let alone among the best currently - you have to be an all-around player.

Safeties get beat in this league. If the offense can find a way to get an opposing team's safety one-on-one in the deep part of the field against one of its two top pass recievers, then the offense is going to win more often then not, and the O-coordinator is going to get a lot of good press. That's just the way it is. However, if that happens and the safety finds a way to make the play most of the time, then the safety in question is going to start getting a lot of recognition.

The point is this: right now it is a very chic thing to criticize Roy Williams and call for his head. I want to make it clear: I am not justifying him in his bad play, but I am trying to bring some perspective on how he should be evaluated. Those that are calling for him to be traded or cut are delusional. He is still, as is, one of the best 5 strong safeties in this league. Name me a SS who you think is great, and I will show you an example of him being burned this year. Go ahead. Ed Reed. Troy Polamalu. Take your best shot. The point is that, while he has been making far too many mistakes for an elite safety to be making, he is still playing at a very high level.

It is my opinion that he simply needs to spend more time in the film room, and be more conscientious of his responsibilities. There is more than enough compelling evidence to back me up.
My bad, I did not recognize that.

In regards to Roy, you make a great point. I personally think he also needs to shed some weight. It seems like he's getting there a step too slow. His mind reacts quick enough, but his body isn't. He gets there just too late to make a play. I think weight loss would do him wonders.
__________________
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:23 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,781
Reputation: 35211
DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinChase
The DMN is reporting that Rivera will have back surgery today for another herniated disk. If guard wasn't at the top our of list of team needs before, it should be now. I still say if Blalock is there when we draft in the first round, we should take him. He fills an immediate need and should be one of the BPA in the area where we will be drafting.
Wow. I am not in the camp that believes that Rivera has been horrid this year, though he was pretty bad last year, but this is definately not good for us. I don't know how much you can count on him for next year, so you would think that we will go after a top tier OG in the draft, and maybe even sign someone in FA.

However, don't sleep on Proctor. Parcells was talking glowingly of him in the preseason and TC, and he has had two years to refine his game in ideal conditions. I'm not saying he would immediately become an above average starter, but you never really know. He could become something.
__________________
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21ST View Post
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:27 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 28,899
Reputation: 3803561
bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinChase
The DMN is reporting that Rivera will have back surgery today for another herniated disk. If guard wasn't at the top our of list of team needs before, it should be now. I still say if Blalock is there when we draft in the first round, we should take him. He fills an immediate need and should be one of the BPA in the area where we will be drafting.
Wow. I am not in the camp that believes that Rivera has been horrid this year, though he was pretty bad last year, but this is definately not good for us. I don't know how much you can count on him for next year, so you would think that we will go after a top tier OG in the draft, and maybe even sign someone in FA.

However, don't sleep on Proctor. Parcells was talking glowingly of him in the preseason and TC, and he has had two years to refine his game in ideal conditions. I'm not saying he would immediately become an above average starter, but you never really know. He could become something.
I hope we nab him instead, but don't be surprised if BP nabs Manuel Ramirez in the offseason. Ramirez is exactly the type of player that BP loves. Thats if of course, you don't get Blaylock in round 1.

And who knows, theres wild rumors of BP becoming our GM. Adam Schefter reported that he's possibly interested. So BP coming back is no guarantee either. Although I think he'd be dumb not to. Why let someone else take credit for what he's worked so hard to build? It wouldn't make sense to me.
__________________
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:35 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,781
Reputation: 35211
DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense

My bad, I did not recognize that.

In regards to Roy, you make a great point. I personally think he also needs to shed some weight. It seems like he's getting there a step too slow. His mind reacts quick enough, but his body isn't. He gets there just too late to make a play. I think weight loss would do him wonders.
A lot of people have mentioned that, but I'm still unconvinced. It's not like he looks slow or stiff out there, and he certainly doesn't look fat (though he isn't as cut as you might like your superstar DB to be), he has mostly just been taking bad angles (something he did 3 or 4 times against Seattle) and making mis-steps early in the play that end up causing him to be late.

When he entered the draft he was 218, and right now he is probably between 225-230. While I don't think it would hurt too much to lose 5 lbs or so, he is pretty close to his natural weight. And let's get real, there isn't a coach in the league who puts more stress on players being at their correct weights, so obviously Bill doesn't think he needs to lose any, and I can't think of a better indication than that.
__________________
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21ST View Post
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:36 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,078
Reputation: 41
cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Quick points.

- I agree with DMWsackmachine, this was just one of those years.

- If Roy's cap situation makes him untradeable, all you could do is hope and pray he loses 20 lbs in the offseason, because I still feel that at his current frame he will continue to have the same problems that has plagued him this year. He must lose weight, he's too big right now. And he needs to look at film and dedicate himself to working on his coverage in the offseason. I think his head got way too inflated over the years, and he thinks he's better than he is. He needs dramatic improvement, the SS position is crucial in a 3-4 defense and he needs to improve.

- Romo will be fine. Yes he had a bad game, but like I said before, first year starters always have bad games in their first playoff appearance. Brady is the exception, not the norm. Romo is going to be a great qb for you guys. The NFC East as a whole will all have very capable qb's for years to come, Im high on all 4 of them.

- The defense may need a pass rusher, but Id leave the LB core alone right now. If youre gonna get a pass rusher, make it a front 3 guy in the draft, because I think alot of the issues, in fact most of the issues are technique related. That can be fixed, and I expect it to be fixed this offseason. After watching with my own eyes what DMWSackmachine has said all along, I finally see whats wrong. Its all technique, very correctable stuff.

- Watkins will be fine. You don't need a FS. Me and DMWSackmachine have talked about this before. Watkins has all the physical ability in the world. In fact, he's just as physically talented as any of the these safeties coming out this year. He was a little raw, and you saw it over the course of the season. But he did improve over the year (remember, he was only a rookie), and he did very well towards the end of the year. During the offseason, he will continue even more. And BP is high on him, which means he has faith he will be good. FS is not a problem for you guys. Like I said, its not the FS, its the SS. Roy needs to take some responsibiltity and step his game up.

- If I was a GM of a 3-4 defense and I heard that Dallas didn't want Bradie James anymore, Id be very happy to accomodate your needs so he could be on my team. James is that hammer in the middle that every 3-4 defense needs. I personally felt he was PB caliber material behind Urlacher and Pierce, but thats just me.
Btw BBD, please don't feed our troll. You may not have seen it develop, but this guy has been talking down to and inciting people left and right since he joined at the first of December. He is currently serving a board-wide ban of all responses, though he doesn't know. Anyhow, don't take anything that he says as an indication of the way people here feel.
However, just to comment on Roy, you mentioned a point that I was promoting heavily last offseason, but that has kind of been ignored. I don't think he studies enough. He doesn't seem to recognize plays quickly, and rarely ever baits a QB into making a mistake with him. I think he's just been resting on his laurels, thinking "I'm the biggest hitter in the league, I don't need to cover" and not putting in the kind of work that you need to in order to be truly special. This has all combined to make him average in coverage.

Despite what certain unnamed idiots may think, he is not THAT BAD in that aspect of the game. He is simply non-descript, but the fact that he is a perennial Pro Bowler, along with being the most visibly recognized Cowboy for the last several years, magnifies it when he makes a mistake in coverage. You never hear "Wow, there's Michael Boulware getting beat deep again". You never hear "Hmmm, there's Terrence Kiel giving up his 3rd TD on the game". You just don't. But every. single. time. that Roy Williams makes a mistake in coverage it is pointed out by the announcers as well as on highlight shows and game-analysis segments on NFLTA and NFL Live etc.

That's fine, and it is basically as it should be, because if you want to be considered among the best ever - let alone among the best currently - you have to be an all-around player.

Safeties get beat in this league. If the offense can find a way to get an opposing team's safety one-on-one in the deep part of the field against one of its two top pass recievers, then the offense is going to win more often then not, and the O-coordinator is going to get a lot of good press. That's just the way it is. However, if that happens and the safety finds a way to make the play most of the time, then the safety in question is going to start getting a lot of recognition.

The point is this: right now it is a very chic thing to criticize Roy Williams and call for his head. I want to make it clear: I am not justifying him in his bad play, but I am trying to bring some perspective on how he should be evaluated. Those that are calling for him to be traded or cut are delusional. He is still, as is, one of the best 5 strong safeties in this league. Name me a SS who you think is great, and I will show you an example of him being burned this year. Go ahead. Ed Reed. Troy Polamalu. Take your best shot. The point is that, while he has been making far too many mistakes for an elite safety to be making, he is still playing at a very high level.

It is my opinion that he simply needs to spend more time in the film room, and be more conscientious of his responsibilities. There is more than enough compelling evidence to back me up.
Too funny. Worse yet and funny cuz the ignore function goes both ways. The only diffence I don't throw hissy fits when folks disagree and starting repeating nannanananananananan to block out the noise.

I just read what you write and toss it up to another small variation of a bigger set of themes that you read about in the paper. Regardless .....

A month ago Bradie and Roy where the leaders of the D. One of the best in the league according to a few here. I called both guys out for their failings (rightly or wrongly) in pass coverage. I said they need to lose weight, find new homes, bench, whatever but that we could not sustain with that type of play.

I was bashed as being too reactionary and not realistic on trading cuz of the Cap.

Now, folks are starting to say the same crap and I am an idiot? I just read Jean Jacque Taylor or Todd Archer propose trading Roy for a second rounder.

At least BBD has the courage to stick to his opinion. He has been making them for a while and backs it up. I respect him b/c there is analysis, thought and consistency.

Would love to see you guys pull ONE post of mine where I was just flat wrong. Just 1.

Not wrong cuz you don't agree but wrong b/c there is a third party opinion(s) or data to prove it so.

So bash me with facts or non-biased thoughts.

Until then, just say interesting, make your counter points and stop repeating "Madden" or some other simplistic platitude.

Have fun here and move on. It ain't to serious what gets done here.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:45 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,078
Reputation: 41
cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Perfect example is the recent Archer article proposing Henry for FS if Wakins does not work and mentioned that (surprise) Henry was a Safety in college.

I was roasted for that one. Not one apology or admittance of over - reaction on the posters part to my idea.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:58 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 28,899
Reputation: 3803561
bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense

My bad, I did not recognize that.

In regards to Roy, you make a great point. I personally think he also needs to shed some weight. It seems like he's getting there a step too slow. His mind reacts quick enough, but his body isn't. He gets there just too late to make a play. I think weight loss would do him wonders.
A lot of people have mentioned that, but I'm still unconvinced. It's not like he looks slow or stiff out there, and he certainly doesn't look fat (though he isn't as cut as you might like your superstar DB to be), he has mostly just been taking bad angles (something he did 3 or 4 times against Seattle) and making mis-steps early in the play that end up causing him to be late.

When he entered the draft he was 218, and right now he is probably between 225-230. While I don't think it would hurt too much to lose 5 lbs or so, he is pretty close to his natural weight. And let's get real, there isn't a coach in the league who puts more stress on players being at their correct weights, so obviously Bill doesn't think he needs to lose any, and I can't think of a better indication than that.
Exactly, he entered the league at 218. What was his best year? His rookie year. I do see him being a step too slow, he seems to get there just too late.

I understand that he's taking wrong angles, and youre right about that. But, youre never gonna take the right angle every single time. Its just impossible. No one outside of Ed Reed has that kind of instincts. And even he doesn't take the right angle every time.

The difference is he has enough recovery speed to make up for it. Roy doesn't right now. I played FS/OLB/SS. I can see as a former player of the safety position, that his mind is reacting quick enough, but he's just not getting there in time. Trust me, its happened to me before. Even losing 5 lbs makes a world of a difference in your recovery speed.

I'll cite Brian Urlacher as a perfect example. He never takes the right angle. In fact, like 90% of the time in pass coverage, he's out of position. But he's so fast that he's able to make up for it with recovery speed. Now Im not saying Roy needs to be uber fast, but losing weight will definately help him get back his recovery speed and he'll make plays on the ball instead of being there a hair too late.
__________________
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:06 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: A thread near you!
Posts: 13,772
Reputation: 24270
Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Perfect example is the recent Archer article proposing Henry for FS if Wakins does not work and mentioned that (surprise) Henry was a Safety in college.

I was roasted for that one. Not one apology or admittance of over - reaction on the posters part to my idea.
You're still a terrible poster who thinks that GMs should run their teams like Madden.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:31 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mechanicsburg, PA
Posts: 3,489
Reputation: 88707
leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Perfect example is the recent Archer article proposing Henry for FS if Wakins does not work and mentioned that (surprise) Henry was a Safety in college.

I was roasted for that one. Not one apology or admittance of over - reaction on the posters part to my idea.
Get over yourself!
__________________

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:39 PM    (permalink
bigmac076
Veteran
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,805
Reputation: 28394
bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Perfect example is the recent Archer article proposing Henry for FS if Wakins does not work and mentioned that (surprise) Henry was a Safety in college.

I was roasted for that one. Not one apology or admittance of over - reaction on the posters part to my idea.
Lets just wait to see what transpires. The real issue right now I believe Is whether Parcells is coming back and If he doesn't who do you like to replace him. I was hoping Cowher cause he seems to work well with a younger QB.
__________________
bigmac076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:46 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,078
Reputation: 41
cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Perfect example is the recent Archer article proposing Henry for FS if Wakins does not work and mentioned that (surprise) Henry was a Safety in college.

I was roasted for that one. Not one apology or admittance of over - reaction on the posters part to my idea.
You're still a terrible poster who thinks that GMs should run their teams like Madden.
I am sorry to say Ward but you are wrong. So is Thule. And many other posters here.

I have been part of a very structured creative process all my life and in order to generate solutions to big problems you need to attack them with an open mind. When you don't, you spend a lot more money and take a lot longer to solve them.

This is why one-and-done personnel management never works. Rarely isone person just the problem. It is usually a combination of XOXO changes, with player changes and play repositioning.

Now you can say I am "Madden" but I can say you guys are the Orchestra on the Titanic. You are all singing the same tune as the ship is sinking. Both exagerations are equally valid but neither is directionally correct.

A resolution lies in between in a discussion and given this is all talk on this site ...... there is no reason not to talking it out.

Either way, Ward, find me one post I have made to support your point I am Maden or off the reservation? That is all I ask of folks here but I never get that. All I get are statements of fact by pretend GMs that are neither fact nor GMs. That is why I like to point out that my thoughts tend to be ahead of scheule and not too nutsy and proof exists outside this forum to support them.

I can go through all the Personnel moves I propose and trades and back them up with rationale and why they could work. Do you do ALL OF THEM? No because some ideas do conflict with each other, some get bound by Cap considerations, others force you to choose A or B, and some it is just too much. With all resource constraint processes you need to prioritize a secquential plan and have a few back-up paths.

But I am not going to sit here and be brow beaten into repeating others bad thoughts and worse yet repeating other's thought and not crediting them. Proud to admit I accept others thoughts and integrate them into my thinking.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:48 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,078
Reputation: 41
cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Perfect example is the recent Archer article proposing Henry for FS if Wakins does not work and mentioned that (surprise) Henry was a Safety in college.

I was roasted for that one. Not one apology or admittance of over - reaction on the posters part to my idea.
Get over yourself!
Be nice if you just said "good idea too bad I did not think of it" and leave it at that.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:55 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,078
Reputation: 41
cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac076
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Perfect example is the recent Archer article proposing Henry for FS if Wakins does not work and mentioned that (surprise) Henry was a Safety in college.

I was roasted for that one. Not one apology or admittance of over - reaction on the posters part to my idea.
Lets just wait to see what transpires. The real issue right now I believe Is whether Parcells is coming back and If he doesn't who do you like to replace him. I was hoping Cowher cause he seems to work well with a younger QB.
Good Q. Without BP I am scared shitless of this team.

You can make an argument his XOXOXOXO are not what they need to be to compete with some other Coaches but his Personnel choices and ability to control Jerry Jones destructive GM qualities are EXTREMELY VALUABLE to this team.

As I have pointed out, the last two drafts when BP drove the decision making we have done OK it seems. I don't care much for the FA signings last two years but part and parcell I would rather have a guy who knows talent and develops it like Bill.

With that said, the only guy that comes to mind that could attract Assistants and control Jerry the GM is Jimmy Johnson. But could Jerry admit he is wrong?

Jimmy would likely keep the 3-4 or a variant and hire a 3-4 guy on D. O he would keep the guys likely.

He would then likely bring in a few D and O position coaches so that in the future he could reposition the Coordinators and Schemes he inherits from Bill's staff and put in his speed based approach.

But this is pure tea leaf reading. Like trying to identify a spec on the ground at 30K feet in the sky.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.