Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 08-12-2012, 12:43 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we can't stay healthy, then we'll be at the bottom of the NFC East. These injuries are killing my expectations for the season.

As for Bennett, BBD... Preseason was always good. It seemed like every preseason "This was the year!" It would be something like, "He's put his immaturity issues behind him" ... "He got married this offseason, he's a new man" ... "He knows the offense now" ... "He's in the best shape of his life" ... Basically John Garrett praised him constantly.

Then the season would be halfway through and he'd be the same old guy. Obviously playing behind Witten limited his chance to shine. This new opportunity probably has him more excited than ever. If he's changed, that's good for him. As a Cowboy, I was DONE with him. Frustrating things happened anytime Romo targeted him. Almost a guarantee drop on his first play that would get him discouraged the rest of the game. His emotions control his game.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:59 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The big problem with Bennett was that he got to a point where he just didn't seem to care at all. I knew his production would be limited playing behind one of the best tight ends of all time and a good receiving corps, but I shouldn't have to cringe whenever he was thrown the ball like last year. He was a good blocker, which is definitely what you'd want out of a guy like that who wasn't going to be targeted too often, but he was so mistake prone that it made it very hard to want him around. I remember that dropped catch that landed right to the Eagles. It was the perfect pass that hit him right in the hands, and he dropped it and it went right to the Eagles. He just seemed to walk off and not give a damn. When I saw that I was done. It was already spiralling for me at that point, but that was the nail in the coffin. If he goes to NY and plays to his potential I'll be pissed. lol

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:07 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thanks for the input guys. It'll be interesting to see how he does with us. I'm cautiously optimistic but can't help but get amazed at his physical ability. The guy is 6 7" 290 lbs and runs fast. We haven't had a TE like this since Shockey was a healthy rookie.

So far from what I've seen during the first PS game, he's a tremendous blocker and on passing plays, he did a great job with his routes and was open very often. My concern is his character. Like you guys mentioned, what's gonna happen when things go wrong? Is he gonna fold up? Is he gonna quit? That remains to be seen.

So far I've noticed Eli is constantly communicating with him. Talking to him on the sidelines, during practice, he's always in his ear, coaching him up. We'll see if it works.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:12 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Thanks for the input guys. It'll be interesting to see how he does with us. I'm cautiously optimistic but can't help but get amazed at his physical ability. The guy is 6 7" 290 lbs and runs fast. We haven't had a TE like this since Shockey was a healthy rookie.

So far from what I've seen during the first PS game, he's a tremendous blocker and on passing plays, he did a great job with his routes and was open very often. My concern is his character. Like you guys mentioned, what's gonna happen when things go wrong? Is he gonna fold up? Is he gonna quit? That remains to be seen.

So far I've noticed Eli is constantly communicating with him. Talking to him on the sidelines, during practice, he's always in his ear, coaching him up. We'll see if it works.

That's the exciting part. We all saw and felt that from day one, his rookie year was really impressive for a young guy and he had a nice TD streak going for awhile so you know the ability is there. I wouldn't be surprised at all with something like 700 yards and 8 TD's, he's got the ability to do it and he'll finally be utilized as such.

He's just almost guaranteed to say something that brings negative attention to the team at some point when it's not needed, and what plauged him last year was how everytime he was targeted something bad happened. Maybe he did quit, or not care, or lacked total focus, all things that could change this year, but last year it was discouraging.

I will say this he's an upgrade over Kevin Boss for sure, but even if he does mature I think he is going to make more mistakes then you guys are used to. Well, maybe not because Cruz was that guy for awhile. But just don't get too excited yet, let him prove that he's a different player this year. He'll be pumped to come out and score vs us week 1, but I want to see his first 4 games of the season before deciding which Marty B we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:01 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

GAME DAY!!!!! CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

I have a feeling that I'm going to eat my words on Bruce Carter this year. I mean, hopefully I do. Been a long time coming for this 2nd round pick. He needs to pan out.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:16 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
GAME DAY!!!!! CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

I have a feeling that I'm going to eat my words on Bruce Carter this year. I mean, hopefully I do. Been a long time coming for this 2nd round pick. He needs to pan out.
Love it. Recording the game and then watching it at least twice. Guys I'm REALLY keeping my guys on will be interior line, WRs (especially Holmes, Beasley, Coale, and Radway), and defensive line depth (Geathers, Calloway, and Bass).

I know I'm going to be disappointed with the defense just because it's going to be super vanilla and not Ryan-esque but aside from that I'm just ready for football.

I swear to God if Garrett calls ANY shotgun plays with Romo on the field I'm going to throw my remote at the screen. No reason to potentially expose him to diving on one of the loose balls from Arkin/Gunn/McQ.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:30 PM    (permalink
dsc1600
Veteran

dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This game is fun to watch, 2 special teams penalties, horrible o-line play. At least the D is okay to watch. Nice play by Sensabaugh.

The Cowboys are 120-120 since 1997......sigh
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:14 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The line SUCKS! although I guess to some people its the pre season and Im over reacting, but yeah...

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:33 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bob Sturm ‏@SportsSturm
I am keeping a new stat: LOL plays. Arkin has 4 LOLs so far.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 08-13-2012, 10:21 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hear that Eddie Whitley had a nice play tonight?

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:22 AM    (permalink
TheFlash (CDCB)
Rookie

TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
I hear that Eddie Whitley had a nice play tonight?
Had a near pick at the end of the game but it hit the ground. He does look like an athlete out there, but he has no chance to make the team with the guys in front of him.

On to the game.... if we can just get healthy we are going to be good. Add Spencer, Hatcher, Ratliff, Claiborne and Jenkins to that defense... we should have the best defense since the 90's.

On offense, just get livings and Costa back and we'll be fine. The offense will be good enough to put points up.

Crawford looks like a stud. Hopefully he's finally a pass rusher on the down 3 that we can count on.
TheFlash (CDCB) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:53 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It was so funny to see that drive where they kept punting, but we kept committing a pentalty on the punt to enable them to keep the ball. Classic Cowboy stuff. Andre Holmes is a keeper, so is Cole Beasley, but we still need a veteran. Dez is going to explode this year if he is healthy.

Quote:
Old 08-14-2012, 08:04 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm very happy with what I saw from our receivers. Agreed 100% LL I think both Holmes and Beasley provided they don't completely fall apart should be on the 53. REALLY hoping someone pushes Ogletree off the roster though.

Our ST have been REALLY sloppy under DeCamillis and it's getting old fast. He needs to get the unit together and not cost us games this year.

Our defense is definitely going to be lights out though. We weren't using press and played super vanilla and still acquitted ourselves very well.

Leary has to be better because he was getting worked all night especially with the 3rd teamers.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:49 AM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I watched it while getting off of work, so I didn't get the full scope of things until around the last two quarters. From what I saw the interior line was really bad, and that messed up a lot. I understand that some starters were missing, but considering the injuries that happen in the past that doesn't make me feel better. I think that the receivers behind Austin and Dez look good, but somebody has to be able to have enough time to find them in the pocket. I'm hoping that Livings and Costa are decent enough to keep from hindering the backs and receivers from being as effective as they can be. It doesn't matter how good of a connection that Romo has with Witten, Austin, and Dez when he's running around in the backfield for his life. Same with Murray. Dude can be a seriously great factor here, but if he has no holes to run through it won't matter.

As far as the defense goes there is a lot to like. Some really hard cuts are going to end up happening. There are some young guys there that seem to have a lot of potential. There was some good speed out there. Guys were hustling like they really needed to keep their job, and most of those were young guys who are rookies. I didn't get to see Crawford, but I hear that he did pretty well. One thing that made me really happy was seeing Ben Bass. I thought that was Crawford because I was thinking to myself, "Who the hell is number 79? This dude has some really nice speed and a good nose for the ball." When they said it was Bass my eyes lit up because that's a young guy that's not guaranteed anything hustling his ass off. Same thing with Adrian Hamilton. What a find he looks like. I'm not going to jump to conclusions here for obvious reasons, but with these two guys there is a lot of clay to work with. Athleticism and hustle can be made into something special on D. The secondary looked good as well. Really all levels of the D looked good. I'm really excited about things. Once Claiborne and Jenkins are in there it should look even better.

One thing that really pissed me off though was the penalties. We've seen it too often for it to be an aberration.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:43 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not saying Arkin was good, by any means, but I think everyone needs to cut him some slack.

I think if you consider that he's never played C before and he's getting his first extended action at the pro level, he actually was okay.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:00 PM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Very poor o-line play, but we already knew that this would be the case coming in to this game. We started a 4th string center who's never played the position before! If they are still this bad when all the projected starters are out there (Smith, Free, Costa, Livings, & Bernadeau) then we need to hit the panic button, but not quite yet.

It did look like we shouldn't pencil Leary in as a rookie starter just yet. Hopefully he'll continue to develop.
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:34 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Nobody worried about the way McFadden ripped us in his few snaps? They were moving the ball with ease until Palmer threw that horrible pick. There was a lot to like about the D but still some worries. McCoy absolutely killed us last year and McFadden was on his way to doing the same it looked like to me.

When your hoping/needing Costa to come back, your in BIG trouble. As far as the guards I dont see an upgrade from last year and Free doesnt make me feel to good either. I just dont see us running the ball with any consistency and it looks like our short yardage game is still going to be bad.

I do agree with most here that Dez is going to be a stud this year, cant say the same for Murray

It was nice to see our safetys coming up and making plays. Been a long time.

Guys that stood out to me were Hamilton, Hanna, Albright, Church, and Holmes. They all had their moments.

Hope we get everybody back for SD!

Old 08-14-2012, 01:22 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Nobody worried about the way McFadden ripped us in his few snaps? They were moving the ball with ease until Palmer threw that horrible pick. There was a lot to like about the D but still some worries. McCoy absolutely killed us last year and McFadden was on his way to doing the same it looked like to me.

When your hoping/needing Costa to come back, your in BIG trouble. As far as the guards I dont see an upgrade from last year and Free doesnt make me feel to good either. I just dont see us running the ball with any consistency and it looks like our short yardage game is still going to be bad.

I do agree with most here that Dez is going to be a stud this year, cant say the same for Murray

It was nice to see our safetys coming up and making plays. Been a long time.

Guys that stood out to me were Hamilton, Hanna, Albright, Church, and Holmes. They all had their moments.

Hope we get everybody back for SD!

I wasn't worried about the McFadden stuff. We have got to do better yes, but it's McFadden. He does that on 95% of teams he plays if he's actually healthy. Same for McCoy. That's not saying much because we have GOT to do better but I guess if we get shredded by an average talent at the position then I'll worry.

I kinda like our Safeties, somewhat, with Sensy and Church. If our CB's play as expected they'll do just fine. Sensy has always been solid just not a pro bowl talent but you don't need those guys everywhere.

Murray only had 2 carries and had people in his face as soon as he touched the ball, he literally got ZERO momentum all game so it was hard to gauge him. I just don't want him to get hurt so I was fine with the 2 carries.

We need at least one very good player on the interior line to make up for the lack of push we are getting. A Logan Mankins for instance makes the C and opposite Guard better, as of now all 3 spots in there are question marks and probably a problem area. Wish we had the money for 1 of those big Guard FA pick-ups this off-season.

Quote:
Old 08-14-2012, 02:04 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

We go as this OL goes. We have all the weapons but no ability to use them.

No protection in the pass game. No push in the run game. That's what I saw yesterday and if that's a sign of things to come... good grief.

But hey... as long as our defense pitches shutouts, you have to like our odds! :D

Shout out to Mana Silva <3!
Old 08-14-2012, 07:07 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

To be honest I'm perfectly happy with Arkin as he performed MUCH better than I expected. He was never physically overwhelmed, he didn't botch any snaps, and made one, albeit huge, mistake in allowing Tommy Smith free rather than sealing him at the line.

For a guy out of position I'm not concerned with him. I honestly think he's the most capable out of our backups at starting at G should Big Mac or Livings not be ready. However... Dockery is garbage he should not make this team. Leary was getting dominated by both 2nd and 3rd team lineman. Not a pretty performance and he has got to do better against SD. And Gunn has zero shot of making an NFL roster he was downright atrocious. He was made to look like a college walk-on against Nu-da-ma-stomp Suh.

I'm looking forward to Costa returning (*puke*) so we can fully evaluate where our guards are at this stage. If we are not getting physically overwhelmed at the point of attack we'll be on a much better foot than last year at least. :/
Old 08-14-2012, 07:29 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

On a waivers note. Marquette King is not going to make the Raiders roster but he had a ridiculous 58 yard punt nulled by a penalty that had plenty of hangtime. He's got one hell of a leg.

Chris Jones is fine but if we have a shot at King come waivers I'd be at least taking a look if he keeps up his form.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:58 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
To be honest I'm perfectly happy with Arkin as he performed MUCH better than I expected. He was never physically overwhelmed, he didn't botch any snaps, and made one, albeit huge, mistake in allowing Tommy Smith free rather than sealing him at the line.

For a guy out of position I'm not concerned with him. I honestly think he's the most capable out of our backups at starting at G should Big Mac or Livings not be ready. However... Dockery is garbage he should not make this team. Leary was getting dominated by both 2nd and 3rd team lineman. Not a pretty performance and he has got to do better against SD. And Gunn has zero shot of making an NFL roster he was downright atrocious. He was made to look like a college walk-on against Nu-da-ma-stomp Suh.

I'm looking forward to Costa returning (*puke*) so we can fully evaluate where our guards are at this stage. If we are not getting physically overwhelmed at the point of attack we'll be on a much better foot than last year at least. :/
Now, on to the meat of this post. Let's talk center:

First of all, I am really enjoying the thoughts and reviews of so many in the media on Twitter or websites that indicate that David Arkin did a nice job last night. I believe this is generally because he did not have any sloppy snaps and limited moments where he stopped the game because of a penalty. I also believe our bar around here for what constitutes a good job from the center position must be very low.

He did not play very well. He was overpowered at the point of attack on several occasions.

* Cowboys 1st Snap, 12:42 1st Quarter: Arkin is pushed back into the backfield by Tommy Kelly, causing DeMarco Murray to change his path on a simple zone running play to the right.

* Cowboys 2nd Snap, 12:05 1st Quarter: Arkin is jolted again in pass protection by Kelly. Play is a success because Romo delivered the ball quickly to Bryant.

* Cowboys 2nd Snap of 2nd possession, 2:17 1st Quarter: Arkin is supposed to hold up Kelly for a 1-count before releasing to block for the screen. Instead, he barely touches Kelly and Kelly sacks Romo for a 12-yard loss. These are the types of plays that can potentially ruin a season.

* Cowboys 6th Snap of 4th possession, 4:15 2nd Quarter: Arkin is unaware of a tackle-end stunt on Raiders line on a Cowboys inside zone run. Carl Ihenacho stunts to the inside and Arkin spots him too late and must hold him. Despite the hold, the play is still blown up on rather simple inside movement.

All of this is not to suggest that didn't battle hard last night. He certainly played more than anyone on the roster. It is simply to sound the alarm on this entire "Phil Costa, Kevin Kowalski, Bill Nagy, and David Arkin center project" that has gone on long enough.

There is simply not a center who is NFL starting quality in the group from what watching these 4 players battle over the course of 2 seasons of football. The Cowboys are clearly marginalizing the job of center in an "anybody can do this" sort of way, and it is not working out. There is a reason that the Cowboys' playbook has been a disaster in most road games recently, and it is because they are outclassed on the interior of their line. They think they have addressed the 2 guard spots, but early returns are spotty. The center position, though, is either very poor or a complete disaster. Still. After having an entire offseason to hope and dream that it would be better because of big work in the weight room.

http://sturminator.blogspot.com/sear...max-results=50

Old 08-14-2012, 09:26 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Will continue to hold my break that Bernadeau can be our savior.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:19 AM    (permalink
TheFlash (CDCB)
Rookie

TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The OL should get better. Bernadeau isn't even close to football shape, and it's clear he will be a sizable upgrade over what Kosier was last year. Costa should at least be better than himself, and he can get the job done for the most part. Regardless of PFF rankings, I have to believe livings is an upgrade over Holland because they wouldn't have gave livings 20 million when they could have signed holland for close to the league minimum. Smith will be better than Free at LT, and Free should be good at RT.

If those 5 stay healthy our OL will be good enough. Look at the 2 teams in the superbowl last year, the giants and patriots OL's are both nothing to write home about in any way. Hell, the Giants OL is a bunch of overachieving, unathletic white guys. Their center makes Costa look huge.

It was only the 1st pre-season game, let's see a bit more first. I love all these ESPN topics "should the cowboys offense be worried?" Like come on man... it was the 1st pre-season game.
TheFlash (CDCB) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:22 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Now, on to the meat of this post. Let's talk center:

First of all, I am really enjoying the thoughts and reviews of so many in the media on Twitter or websites that indicate that David Arkin did a nice job last night. I believe this is generally because he did not have any sloppy snaps and limited moments where he stopped the game because of a penalty. I also believe our bar around here for what constitutes a good job from the center position must be very low.

He did not play very well. He was overpowered at the point of attack on several occasions.

* Cowboys 1st Snap, 12:42 1st Quarter: Arkin is pushed back into the backfield by Tommy Kelly, causing DeMarco Murray to change his path on a simple zone running play to the right.

* Cowboys 2nd Snap, 12:05 1st Quarter: Arkin is jolted again in pass protection by Kelly. Play is a success because Romo delivered the ball quickly to Bryant.

* Cowboys 2nd Snap of 2nd possession, 2:17 1st Quarter: Arkin is supposed to hold up Kelly for a 1-count before releasing to block for the screen. Instead, he barely touches Kelly and Kelly sacks Romo for a 12-yard loss. These are the types of plays that can potentially ruin a season.

* Cowboys 6th Snap of 4th possession, 4:15 2nd Quarter: Arkin is unaware of a tackle-end stunt on Raiders line on a Cowboys inside zone run. Carl Ihenacho stunts to the inside and Arkin spots him too late and must hold him. Despite the hold, the play is still blown up on rather simple inside movement.

All of this is not to suggest that didn't battle hard last night. He certainly played more than anyone on the roster. It is simply to sound the alarm on this entire "Phil Costa, Kevin Kowalski, Bill Nagy, and David Arkin center project" that has gone on long enough.

There is simply not a center who is NFL starting quality in the group from what watching these 4 players battle over the course of 2 seasons of football. The Cowboys are clearly marginalizing the job of center in an "anybody can do this" sort of way, and it is not working out. There is a reason that the Cowboys' playbook has been a disaster in most road games recently, and it is because they are outclassed on the interior of their line. They think they have addressed the 2 guard spots, but early returns are spotty. The center position, though, is either very poor or a complete disaster. Still. After having an entire offseason to hope and dream that it would be better because of big work in the weight room.

http://sturminator.blogspot.com/sear...max-results=50

Bold the whole point if you're going to quote me! I said I was perfectly happy as he performed better than expected. Considering the last live action we saw of Arkin was him getting PHYSICALLY overwhelmed by 3rd teamers and this was his first live action at Center I came away impressed. I was honestly expecting Kelly to absolutely destroy him and for more than a couple "Costa" snaps. Once Kelly left the field Arkin acquitted himself much better aside from the stunt which can pretty much be attributed to putting a guard at Center.

Nowhere in there will you see me claim he should be starting at C. Drawing Kelly is a super tough first assignment at C too. The expectations on the Center position are super low regardless as you said because no matter who starts for us this year they are going to have major warts.

Sturm hit the nail on the head though we absolutely MUST address the position during the next offseason. Whether through FA or the draft we NEED to get a capable pivot.