Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 08-07-2013, 08:43 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Brandon Moore decided to retire again.
I just read that. WTF!!!!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...eer-one-night/

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:46 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't get why Dallas waited so long to look for some help, then went after a guy who retired to begin with.

You had Tyson Clabo and Eric Winston staring you dead in the face for like 2 months and did nothing. I don't get it. Hell I'd sign both of them and throw Clabo at RG.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:17 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not sure how signing Clabo and Winston would have improved our interior line where the injuries have occurred...

I do agree we need veteran depth with the injuries but signing a one year stop-gap would have prevented Leary from seizing the LG spot with excellent play. Arkin has also improved considerably. Free also is playing very well and kept one of the best pass rushers in the game unmentioned in the HOF game.

We certainly have to make a play if we can now though given the rash of injuries.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:19 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It prevents Doug Free from seeing the field. That alone improves your OL.

Free is an enigma to me. For a little while he looked like he was going to be a pretty good LT in this league. Then he went to crap. Wth happened? I don't get it.

Clabo could have been kicked inside. He's a road grader.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:25 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
It prevents Doug Free from seeing the field. That alone improves your OL.

Free is an enigma to me. For a little while he looked like he was going to be a pretty good LT in this league. Then he went to crap. Wth happened? I don't get it.

Clabo could have been kicked inside. He's a road grader.
Free has hardly been the worst player on the line this offseason. He's been MUCH better with improved technique (which is exactly why he was so terrible last year).

It's widely reported he let his technique fail him and he isn't strong enough to beat rushers back when he isn't using proper technique. He's worked hard on getting it back up to snuff and it has shown.

I'm not a Doug Free fan AT ALL I wanted to cut him this offseason. He is night and day compared to last year. If he reverts then yeah the team made an awful decision but right now it's turning out well. Parnell on the other hand played like crap to the point of Weems taking some 2nd team snaps and then got injured. Not excited about that proposition.

Basically the point is Dallas trusted the progression of Doug Free and Jermey Parnell to pass on the free agent OTs. The issue creeping up now is injuries to guards. Totally separate conversation.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:06 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Free is an enigma... You know who else was? Flozell Adams. Parcells' label for him was enigma. I'm not a fan of Free, but I always try to have hope.

Getting Brandon Moore is music to my ears! He was together with Callahan in NY and the addition should be seamless. I don't give a rip if he was retired. He was PFF's top performing OG last season. I WILL TAKE IT!

We mocked him to us up the ying yang in our offseason mocks. I LOVE IT!

NOW we're starting to get somewhere!
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:19 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Free is an enigma... You know who else was? Flozell Adams. Parcells' label for him was enigma. I'm not a fan of Free, but I always try to have hope.

Getting Brandon Moore is music to my ears! He was together with Callahan in NY and the addition should be seamless. I don't give a rip if he was retired. He was PFF's top performing OG last season. I WILL TAKE IT!

We mocked him to us up the ying yang in our offseason mocks. I LOVE IT!

NOW we're starting to get somewhere!
Lol D, your missing the point. He agreed to sign with us, had a change of heart and announced his retirement. Hes not coming here.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:30 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Free has hardly been the worst player on the line this offseason. He's been MUCH better with improved technique (which is exactly why he was so terrible last year).

It's widely reported he let his technique fail him and he isn't strong enough to beat rushers back when he isn't using proper technique. He's worked hard on getting it back up to snuff and it has shown.

I'm not a Doug Free fan AT ALL I wanted to cut him this offseason. He is night and day compared to last year. If he reverts then yeah the team made an awful decision but right now it's turning out well. Parnell on the other hand played like crap to the point of Weems taking some 2nd team snaps and then got injured. Not excited about that proposition.

Basically the point is Dallas trusted the progression of Doug Free and Jermey Parnell to pass on the free agent OTs. The issue creeping up now is injuries to guards. Totally separate conversation.
Lets see him play in a real game before we start praising how much better he is. Just because he played ok for a few snaps against Miami and hes done ok in practice (with no Spencer BTW) I need to see a much larger sample size to get to feeling as good as you are. As far as the Guards are concerned, they SUCKED last year and didnt address it at all this year. Yes I know Leary is looking like an upgrade but they need more than 1 guy there.

Football outsiders has us at 6.9 wins this year. Why so low?
One of the big issues they have with Dallas revolves around Jerry Jones and the front office. Let's just say they are no admirers of the Cowboys Big Kahuna. Jerry and Co. receive rough treatment in the opinion/analysis part of the Cowboys chapter. They also thought, as many do, that the Cowboys could have done more for the offensive line. Based on last year's group, and with the addition of Frederick, they were not impressed. So we asked about some of the possible changes that could be coming to the line.

1a. "Your analysis of the offensive line has no mention of Ronald Leary, who was reported to be looking very good filling in for an injured Nate Livings. If he pushes Livings out of a starting role, or even off the team, with his performance, what would that indicate for the offensive line?"

1b. There is not mention of Phil Costa, who is actually seen as Frederick's competition at center, but some Dallas writers are talking about him playing the center spot and Frederick moving to guard (possibly to replace Mackenzy Bernadeau). Any thoughts on that?"

I don't think there's much difference between Costa and Bernadeau as linemen. Either of those potential moves are symptoms of the bigger disease: that the Cowboys haven't spent enough draft pick value on these positions over the years. So instead of having structured battles between guys the organization likes and current starters, you have a free-for-all where anyone can grab a seat. From a projection standpoint, because we value offensive line continuity, we'd favor the incumbents all things being equal. From a performance standpoint, nobody should get a seat at the table for sure outside of Tyron Smith.
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/...ball-outsiders

I can't necessarily argue with their answer, in fact, we as Cowboys fans are hoping and praying that some combination of Livings-Leary-Frederick-Costa-Bernadeau-Arkin actually works out. The Miami game showed some promise in that direction, but we've got a long way to go before we can be sure.-BTB

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 08-07-2013, 02:06 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Lol D, your missing the point. He agreed to sign with us, had a change of heart and announced his retirement. Hes not coming here.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:19 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
interestingly enough i was in the car listening to the radio this morning when the brandon moore retirement story broke and bryan broaddus came on live and he claimed that moore not coming to the cowboys was better for the cowboys, and i quote "the football gods just gave the cowboys a gift"
CowboysBeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:22 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysBeastMode View Post
interestingly enough i was in the car listening to the radio this morning when the brandon moore retirement story broke and bryan broaddus came on live and he claimed that moore not coming to the cowboys was better for the cowboys, and i quote "the football gods just gave the cowboys a gift"
Maybe Moore was totally out of shape and uncommitted. I can believe that... but what a shame.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:33 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Maybe Moore was totally out of shape and uncommitted. I can believe that... but what a shame.
nah it wasn't about being shape, he believed that brandon moore is not the player that people make him out to be anymore, plus the fact that he's mulling retirement. broaddus described him as a guy that no longer played with power

honestly im not tha upset over not getting moore, but thats b/c i believe we need to move away from 30+ free agent lineman on the downside if their career. same reason i wasn't interested in winston, i think for most of the veteran o-lineman that are still free agents, their name is bigger than their game

Last edited by CowboysBeastMode : 08-07-2013 at 07:37 PM.
CowboysBeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:30 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Enjoyed the breakout by Selvie last game and LOVE this review.

Quote:
"He got his ass kicked by Doug Free yesterday pretty good. I think the thing with George Selvie is he played on the left defensive end yesterday, and it didn’t look like it went very well for him. When he was getting all his rushes, he was playing the right defensive end, the open side defensive end. Doug Free went after him pretty good yesterday. Only when George Selvie moved inside, they ran a double eagle or a bear front where they cover both guards and the center, and it was only then that one time that George Selvie got some pressure on the guard. But I thought overall, Doug Free did a nice job of playing run and pass against him. ((Broadd))
Doug Free better be back in form and this isn't some sort of twisted mirage. Looking forward to the game tonight :)
Old 08-09-2013, 09:47 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Dude just blew by Arkin to block the FG. SMH!!

Old 08-09-2013, 11:15 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Costa and Escobar blocking = FAIL

Old 08-09-2013, 11:56 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

85 trying to get Tanney cut....... good passes all things considered.
Green let himself down and Tanney down.
Catch the phucking footballs that hit your hands.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:46 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just some random observations from the first two preseason games and training camp thus far.

- I love the attitude Kiffin/Marinelli has installed in the front 7 on defense. Ware and Hatcher have looked dominant at times, even without the the help of Spencer and Ratliff who have been dinged up. The simplified rushing scheme has also allowed some of the younger players to flash; Wilber and Selvie have shown the ability to be change of pace pass rushers on the weakside. The same can be said for the Linebacker corps who should be the real strength of the defense. Lee/Carter look to be picking up where they left off last season before being injured. Free agent addition Durant is quick to fill the gap on the strong side and could become an enforcer at the LOS if he can continue to fight off Ernie Sims for the starting slot. Speaking of Sims he has really come on this offseason and has amazing value being able to fill any of the starting slots if injury occurs. The Rookie additions of MaGee and Holloman will pay dividends in the long run as well. Both have shown flashes on the second team and have time to grow behind the vets. In the mean time they show both contribute heavily on special teams.

- I am still concerned about the about the how well the secondary, (mainly the safties) will be able to hold up against pass heavy offenses. It is worrisome when you are depending on the oft injured Matt Johnson to come in as the front runner for FS and a SS in Church (who wasn't fast to begin with) coming off of a ACL to run with WR's down field. Will Allen is next up on the charts as a swing safety with experience but Wilcox, McCray and Frampton are best served chasing down return men, not attempting to make plays in coverage.

-Speaking of concern, the interior offensive line looks like it might become a red flag once again this season. Both Livings and Bernie have been limited in camp which might for Frederick to shift out to guard unless the team re-dips into the FA market. On the bright side Leary has had plenty of reps with the first team and could make a push to overtake Livings even if he was healthy. When looking at Frederick he clearly has his physical limitations but looks like a guy who is smart enough to become a stablizing factor at center. He understands the blocking schemes and shows the awareness to send help when he is left uncovered and there are only four rushers. His size and strength also make him an asset against 0 techs or lines that shade a NT over center, freeing up the guards to assist with other assignments.

- As for the skill positions, It looks like this might be another huge season for Dez as he continues maturing and perfecting his craft as a WR. If the WR corps can stay healthy they have a chance to be very effective as a whole. I fully expect Miles to see a lot of time in the slot to allow Terrance Williams to get on the field on the outside. Also, don't sleep on Cole Beasley taking another step as inside threat in multiple WR sets. This might be the year Witten takes a step back in production, not because his talent is slipping but because the offense has stacked so many weapons around him this his targets are bound to decrease. It will be interesting how the team plans on splitting reps between Hannah and Escobar but their roles could increase significantly if the injury bug attacks the WR's. Both have the ability to split out wide as a jumbo WR in a pinch. Joe Randle has proved to be a tough runner inside and will take some carries away from Murray during the season hopefully keeping both backs fresh. Phil Tanner has also been impressive thus far and really has a chance to make this team as the third running back. It will be interesting to see if the team decides to keep 4 RB to give Dunbar a shot at being a special teams/ change of pace back.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:35 AM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Dunbar is the #2 RB. If anything Randle was a wasted pick, not because hes not good but because Dunbar and Tanner have been better IMO. There is NO question that Dunbar makes the team and its not to be a ST guy.

I worry about our Safetys as well. I think Church might be overrated, MJ isnt going to start, hes never healthy anyway.Wilcox looks like hes going to be a player but it will take time. Will Allen is going to be our FS. Hes solid but nothing to get excited about.

Our ST's bit us in the ass again last night. Seems no matter the coach we always have problems there.

Its looking like we are a RG away from having a good line. TF needs to stay at Center and Leary has been doing well. If Free can hold his own and we can stop the stupid penalties we get, especially in the red zone, we can have a very good offense, maybe even top 5.

Guys that stood out in a bad way. Arkin, Costa, Escobar, Green, Webb, Coale

Hopefully our starters play at least a half next week to give us a better idea where were at.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:59 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Dunbar is the #2 RB. If anything Randle was a wasted pick, not because hes not good but because Dunbar and Tanner have been better IMO. There is NO question that Dunbar makes the team and its not to be a ST guy.

I worry about our Safetys as well. I think Church might be overrated, MJ isnt going to start, hes never healthy anyway.Wilcox looks like hes going to be a player but it will take time. Will Allen is going to be our FS. Hes solid but nothing to get excited about.

Our ST's bit us in the ass again last night. Seems no matter the coach we always have problems there.

Its looking like we are a RG away from having a good line. TF needs to stay at Center and Leary has been doing well. If Free can hold his own and we can stop the stupid penalties we get, especially in the red zone, we can have a very good offense, maybe even top 5.

Guys that stood out in a bad way. Arkin, Costa, Escobar, Green, Webb, Coale

Hopefully our starters play at least a half next week to give us a better idea where were at.
I think they find a way to keep 4 RB, there is no way they dump Randle, he is the most well rounded of the bunch. No one could have predicted Tanner coming on this strong before camp but he has been grinding out tough yardage. Dunbar is a good change of pace scat back but I dont know if I would trust him to tote the ball 15-20 times if Murray went down.

I think Free is the guy we thought he would be coming into last season. If he keeps his technique intact and uses his hands effectively he will be okay. Once he starts to let guys get into his chest he isn't strong enough to anchor and gets tossed around like a rag doll. Last season was a reality check and he has been focused so far this preseason. I'm excited to see what he can do in some extended action.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:59 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:

On the money with everything except Randle IMHO. He's a rookie RB and they always take a big step in year 2 or 3. Dunbar looks night and day compared to last year. Same with Tanner. He was also held out of mini-camps due to thumb surgery.

ST has always been a problem for us. I hope Garrett shows some of that heated passion in the ST meeting this week. Has to be better.

RG is definitely the weak point on the line however having TF at C and Free playing better at RT the play at the spot should improve even if it's the same player. That being said I would keep a close eye on veteran cuts as I imagine we'll be very active in that regard.

On another note Dez is clearly on an entirely different level than 99% of WRs in the league. He's scary and I absolutely love that he's on our side.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:24 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

My 53 at the moment:

Offense (24)

QB (2): Romo, Orton
RB (4): Murray, Dunbar, Tanner, Randle
TE (4): Witten, Hanna, Escobar, Rosario
WR (5): Bryant, Austin, Williams, Harris, Beasley
OL (9): Smith, Leary, Frederick, Bernie, Free::: Parnell, Costa, Livings, Arkin

Defense (25)

DE (4): Ware, Spencer, Wilber, Selvie
DT (5): Ratliff, Hatcher, Lissemore, Bass, Hayden
LB (6): Lee, Carter, Durant, Sims, Holloman, Magee
CB (5): Carr, Claiborne, Scandrick, Moore, Webb
S (5): Church, Allen, Johnson, Wilcox, Frampton

Specialists (3): Bailey, Jones, Ladaouceur

That's what I have as "solid" I still have one roster spot which I was bouncing back and forwards with. I personally think Alex Albright doesn't match the scheme and is going to be cut despite his versality. On the other hand versatility is what keeps players on our roster.

For this version I'm going with a 5th TE Andre Smith as currently we need a blocking TE a lot more than a 4th OT or 7th linebacker. Another position giving me pause is WR but I think the team can be confident in taking 5 and hoping to slip one of their more impressive camp guys to the PS. Anthony Armstrong is the one guy making me think hard on 5th TE vs 6th WR.

Same thing goes for safety. I don't think Hamilton has shown enough to warrant a roster spot but he may be too talented to make it through waivers.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:24 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
My 53 at the moment:

Offense (24)

QB (2): Romo, Orton
RB (4): Murray, Dunbar, Tanner, Randle
TE (4): Witten, Hanna, Escobar, Rosario
WR (5): Bryant, Austin, Williams, Harris, Beasley
OL (9): Smith, Leary, Frederick, Bernie, Free::: Parnell, Costa, Livings, Arkin

Defense (25)

DE (4): Ware, Spencer, Wilber, Selvie
DT (5): Ratliff, Hatcher, Lissemore, Bass, Hayden
LB (6): Lee, Carter, Durant, Sims, Holloman, Magee
CB (5): Carr, Claiborne, Scandrick, Moore, Webb
S (5): Church, Allen, Johnson, Wilcox, Frampton

Specialists (3): Bailey, Jones, Ladaouceur

That's what I have as "solid" I still have one roster spot which I was bouncing back and forwards with. I personally think Alex Albright doesn't match the scheme and is going to be cut despite his versality. On the other hand versatility is what keeps players on our roster.

For this version I'm going with a 5th TE Andre Smith as currently we need a blocking TE a lot more than a 4th OT or 7th linebacker. Another position giving me pause is WR but I think the team can be confident in taking 5 and hoping to slip one of their more impressive camp guys to the PS. Anthony Armstrong is the one guy making me think hard on 5th TE vs 6th WR.

Same thing goes for safety. I don't think Hamilton has shown enough to warrant a roster spot but he may be too talented to make it through waivers.
I really like the list, personally I'd go without the 5th TE and add depth at safety. Hamilton has some potential as a true FS and he can contribute as a gunner on special teams as well as playing corner in a pinch. The team is set up on offense in a fashion that there are enough recieving TE's to adjust the play calling if a WR goes down and there is enough talent at WR that the offense can spread out if TE's go down. Plus I think it is easier to find a street free agent at TE to block then attempting to get a DB to adjust to new coverage schemes.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:57 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
I really like the list, personally I'd go without the 5th TE and add depth at safety. Hamilton has some potential as a true FS and he can contribute as a gunner on special teams as well as playing corner in a pinch. The team is set up on offense in a fashion that there are enough recieving TE's to adjust the play calling if a WR goes down and there is enough talent at WR that the offense can spread out if TE's go down. Plus I think it is easier to find a street free agent at TE to block then attempting to get a DB to adjust to new coverage schemes.
I agree just need Hamilton to show something before moving to that point. Still seeing some say Danny McCray as the 5th safety but I don't buy it. Frampton does nearly the same on special teams while still being a passable safety. McCray should never see the field on non-special teams.

If Hamilton shows ANYTHING he should be the 5th S (or 6th if the team really likes McCray/Frampton)
Old 08-10-2013, 09:57 AM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
I think they find a way to keep 4 RB, there is no way they dump Randle, he is the most well rounded of the bunch. No one could have predicted Tanner coming on this strong before camp but he has been grinding out tough yardage. Dunbar is a good change of pace scat back but I dont know if I would trust him to tote the ball 15-20 times if Murray went down.

I think Free is the guy we thought he would be coming into last season. If he keeps his technique intact and uses his hands effectively he will be okay. Once he starts to let guys get into his chest he isn't strong enough to anchor and gets tossed around like a rag doll. Last season was a reality check and he has been focused so far this preseason. I'm excited to see what he can do in some extended action.
I agree with all of this. Wasnt suggesting we would cut Randle. IDK about Dunbars size being an issue but hes looked really good out there. If Murray goes down itll be RBBC for sure.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:15 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is it too early to like the idea of shifting our defense? Turnovers I expect to see and this D really fits more of our guys perfectly. Selvie is a nice find as a depth player, same reason I wanted to sign Amobi Okoye. You can find guys who have the talent to fit into this scheme and use it to their strengths. Selvie was once a 1st round prospect, talent isn't a question there, and while he's not a starter for a reserve pass rusher it's exactly what this scheme needs.

I think we are good on DE depth. I expect that side of the ball to be much improved. Pleased with our DE's, LB's, CB's, and we have some athletes at safety so I'm still waiting to see how that plays out. Would love a high pick on an impact DT.

Just depends on if we play smart. Getting that holding penalty after the turnover was seriously deja vu from the last few years. We have a wildcard in Dez, he's somebody that can change the game at any point and when you have somebody like that you always have a chance. I like our chances at winning 9 games because I don't think Philly or NYG will be a playoff team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote