Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 08-21-2013, 10:57 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can't stand watching Mack play. Not only is he a bad player, but he's out there doing it in the awesomeness of #73. That should be a federal offense, IMO.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:45 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
7 Cowboys got 1st-team G reps this summer: Bernadeau, Leary, Livings, Arkin, Free, Kowalski and Frederick. And tried to sign Moore/Waters

And nobody has taken the spots over. What else do you need to know? #Weareintrouble
You feel that way because you know Romo can't carry a team with flaws. At least I'm open about it.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:55 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Perhaps its contradicting because of our GM. I'll bet you HATED our 2009 draft but liked/loved our 2010 draft. Just because you like one doesnt mean you have to like the next. Every draft stands alone. I didnt like the way he ran this one even though I believe his hands were tied somewhat by JJ. !st round anyway, also didnt like not getting more line help and we are paying for it now
Who do you think Garrett would've taken if we didn't trade down? My bet is on Tavon Austin with the way Garrett pounded the table with disgust when he was taken.

With your whole concern over the OL, might you consider it a blessing in disguise that we eneded up with Frederick?

Seemed like to me that Garrett made it his top priority to hoard as much offensive weaponry as possible after that pick. Upset that he missed out on Tavon, he went bonkers while we ignored the defense.

I said it going into the draft that I thought Garrett would approach this draft as if, if this is going to be his last year then he will do his darndest to make sure he has the offensive weapons to do what he does best. Using our first 3 picks on offense confirmed that.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:24 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
You feel that way because you know Romo can't carry a team with flaws. At least I'm open about it.
LOL really? Than comment doesnt even make sense. Our Guards suck and we've tried out 7 different guys and even tried to talk guys out of retirement and thats somehow brought you to Romo? C'MON D, your better than that. What a streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetch

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:32 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Who do you think Garrett would've taken if we didn't trade down? My bet is on Tavon Austin with the way Garrett pounded the table with disgust when he was taken.

With your whole concern over the OL, might you consider it a blessing in disguise that we eneded up with Frederick?

Seemed like to me that Garrett made it his top priority to hoard as much offensive weaponry as possible after that pick. Upset that he missed out on Tavon, he went bonkers while we ignored the defense.

I said it going into the draft that I thought Garrett would approach this draft as if, if this is going to be his last year then he will do his darndest to make sure he has the offensive weapons to do what he does best. Using our first 3 picks on offense confirmed that.
Ummmm Austin was taken at 8 and we picked 18. We were going to get him if we didnt trade down? Tell me how that works?

And why would JG approach this draft like it was his last when a few posts ago you said hes not going anywhere?
Quote:
There's gonna be even less pressure on Garrett. Callahan/Romo doing the playcalling. Garrett is going nowhere. ...unless he loses respect from the players.
And I'm contradicting

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 08-22-2013, 03:33 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
LOL really? Than comment doesnt even make sense. Our Guards suck and we've tried out 7 different guys and even tried to talk guys out of retirement and thats somehow brought you to Romo? C'MON D, your better than that. What a streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetch
Not saying our OL doesn't have problems. I'm saying the sky is falling in your world because you don't believe in this team. What you don't want to admit is that Romo can't overcome our flaws.

Fact of the matter is most every team has multiple flaws. Good QBs find a way to overcome them. Nobody is doom and gloom in NE because they have Brady. His receiving corps was completely shot. Over here, if we don't have a 3rd WR, you hear people cringing. It was that way last season when Robinson left. Look at their RB corps. It's a just bleh. Brady would kill to have what Romo has.

I don't give a rip about Romo's stats. Garrett never ran the ball. You all complained about that, but love to gloat about Romo's passing stats. It's all twist to support whatever points you want to bring up. The only stat that Romo needs to worry about is WINS. That is his entire credibility. NOT QBR.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:37 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Quick, name the only 3 QBs since 2006 to throw for more than 25,000 yards, 175 TDs, and less than 100 picks? If you said Romo, Brady and Peyton DING DING DING Your a winner!!
Dont let facts get in the way of a good story. QB isnt the problem...

Old 08-22-2013, 03:44 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Not saying our OL doesn't have problems. I'm saying the sky is falling in your world because you don't believe in this team. What you don't want to admit is that Romo can't overcome our flaws.

Fact of the matter is most every team has multiple flaws. Good QBs find a way to overcome them. Nobody is doom and gloom in NE because they have Brady. His receiving corps was completely shot. Over here, if we don't have a 3rd WR, you hear people cringing. It was that way last season when Robinson left. Look at their RB corps. It's a just bleh. Brady would kill to have what Romo has.

I don't give a rip about Romo's stats. Garrett never ran the ball. You all complained about that, but love to gloat about Romo's passing stats. It's all twist to support whatever points you want to bring up. The only stat that Romo needs to worry about is WINS. That is his entire credibility. NOT QBR.
Because we can't. The thing that upsets me is the fact that we have a HUGH weakness and did NOTHING to improve it. (the guards Im talking about) Now we are weeks away from the start of the season and we are turning over rocks to find someone to walk in here and start. 31st in rushing and watching Romo get killed weekly, and JJ is just now figuring out we might need to upgrade there? That doesnt piss you off? Not even a little?

Old 08-22-2013, 03:48 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Ummmm Austin was taken at 8 and we picked 18. We were going to get him if we didnt trade down? Tell me how that works?

And why would JG approach this draft like it was his last when a few posts ago you said hes not going anywhere?

And I'm contradicting
OK I got mixed up. I remembered how pissed he was when Austin was taken so that's what my mind went back to first, but the guy I should've said was Cordarelle Patterson as his name was mentioned as one of those that the Cowboys would've taken if they didn't trade down.

It's no question at the time of the draft Garrett's gig was unstable and that he was very reluctant to give up play calling and his relationship with Jerry seemed to lack a trust factor.

Now with training camp underway and a few games under Callahan's belt, it seems like Garrett is taking to his new role fine. He seems confident in his shoes. The players still talk about him as the man in charge. I think Garrett's adjusting and he should feel like he's going nowhere. Unlike a few months ago when there was some panic.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:53 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Dont let facts get in the way of a good story. QB isnt the problem...
Stats aren't the facts. That's the problem.

You're addressing our issues like every position needs to be addressed properly. If position X has a good player, then position X is not the problem.

It doesn't have to be that way. In many successful cases it's NOT. Does every SB contender have every spot fixed? Hell no. When you have positions of strength that mitigates other positions weakness, then you have a team that can win through adversity. ...and the biggest position able to compensate for others is QB!
Old 08-22-2013, 03:59 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Because we can't. The thing that upsets me is the fact that we have a HUGH weakness and did NOTHING to improve it. (the guards Im talking about) Now we are weeks away from the start of the season and we are turning over rocks to find someone to walk in here and start. 31st in rushing and watching Romo get killed weekly, and JJ is just now figuring out we might need to upgrade there? That doesnt piss you off? Not even a little?
If it isn't OG, it's RB or WR or TE or S or LB or DE or DT... right??? Something has got to give. We can't throw money at every position and we don't have enough high picks to fill in the rest. The NFL is tough because teams CAN'T do that. They HAVE to find ways to find cheap talent. They HAVE to find ways to make late round picks work. They HAVE to make sure the players they PAY produce accordingly.

We got A LOT of things right with this team, but you want to focus on OG. Cry me a river. We have as good a chance as every other team with multiple flaws.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:04 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
If it isn't OG, it's RB or WR or TE or S or LB or DE or DT... right??? Something has got to give. We can't throw money at every position and we don't have enough high picks to fill in the rest. The NFL is tough because teams CAN'T do that. They HAVE to find ways to find cheap talent. They HAVE to find ways to make late round picks work. They HAVE to make sure the players they PAY produce accordingly.

We got A LOT of things right with this team, but you want to focus on OG. Cry me a river. We have as good a chance as every other team with multiple flaws.
Now we are getting to the root of the problem. Bad FA pickups, Bad trades, Bad Contracts, Bad use of the draft. Damn it Romo!!

Old 08-22-2013, 04:09 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Stats aren't the facts. That's the problem.

You're addressing our issues like every position needs to be addressed properly. If position X has a good player, then position X is not the problem.

It doesn't have to be that way. In many successful cases it's NOT. Does every SB contender have every spot fixed? Hell no. When you have positions of strength that mitigates other positions weakness, then you have a team that can win through adversity. ...and the biggest position able to compensate for others is QB!
What you dont see, is that Romo does do that. The problem is, when you take a 3-13 team of nobodys to 8-8 nobody cares or notices. Romo carried us last year, we had no buisness being in a game at the end of the year to decide a NFCE title. Your going to miss him when hes gone, just wait...

Old 08-22-2013, 04:13 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:

OG, Safety, STs, RT, Injuries, DL, Football IQ, We have way more problems than just OG, Thats just the most glaring.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:33 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Now we are getting to the root of the problem. Bad FA pickups, Bad trades, Bad Contracts, Bad use of the draft. Damn it Romo!!
That is totally your opinion.

I look at FA dollars spent on Brandon Carr, Justin Durant as fine pick ups. I see us consistently locking up our own talent ... Romo, Austin, Dez, Witten, Spencer, Ware, Ratliff, Lee.

I see smart under the radar pickups like Selvie, Bass, Hayden, Albright, Sims, Magee, Moore, Hamilton, Leary, Costa, Beasley, Dunbar, Tanner...

I see awesome use of the draft... Early picks - Claiborne, Carter, Smith, Dez, Murray, Frederick, Escobar, T-Will, ... I see late round picks sticking with the team and providing good depth in Lissemore, Church, Scandrick, Holloman, Hanna, Harris, Randle...

Loved our trades... moving up for Dez and Claiborne... move down for Frederick/Williams.

There's my rap sheet. Where's your rap sheet of bad trades, bad FA pickups, and bad contracts? Bet it's a lot shorter.

I'll tell you why I'm optimistic of this season. It's because we have come to the point of this team being ready. We aren't putting all our bets on Romo. The rest of this team can carry him. Our young talent is entering their prime... Dez, Smith, Murray, Lee, Carter... Our vets haven't reached the point of being "over the hill". Austin, Witten, Ware, Spencer, Ratliff, Carr, Durant are all still very capable and reliable if healthy. I feel like we're close enough that blame won't be so heavily faulted on Romo. Same goes for credit. I don't think he should be so heavily credited for success either.

This team is strong throughout. Not without weakness, but certainly good enough to be a strong contender on paper. I feel like we got our duckies in a row in regards to our coaching staff being in their right roles and right jobs. I feel A LOT better about Kiffin now with Martinelli joining forces.

I psyched up for this season, so when I come here and read your constant disappointment, doom and gloom... then heck yeah, I have something to say about it.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:38 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
What you dont see, is that Romo does do that. The problem is, when you take a 3-13 team of nobodys to 8-8 nobody cares or notices. Romo carried us last year, we had no buisness being in a game at the end of the year to decide a NFCE title. Your going to miss him when hes gone, just wait...
Colleges are producing NFL ready QBs better than ever before. You're used to the memories of the olden days when QBs were hard to find. Romo is good, but so far the good hasn't outweighed the bad.

You're crazy if you think without Romo we're a 3-13 team of talent.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:55 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:

I look at FA dollars spent on Brandon Carr, Justin Durant as fine pick ups. I see us consistently locking up our own talent ... Romo, Austin, Dez, Witten, Spencer, Ware, Ratliff, Lee.

I see smart under the radar pickups like Selvie, Bass, Hayden, Albright, Sims, Magee, Moore, Hamilton, Leary, Costa, Beasley, Dunbar, Tanner...

I see awesome use of the draft... Early picks - Claiborne, Carter, Smith, Dez, Murray, Frederick, Escobar, T-Will, ... I see late round picks sticking with the team and providing good depth in Lissemore, Church, Scandrick, Holloman, Hanna, Harris, Randle...

Loved our trades... moving up for Dez and Claiborne... move down for Frederick/Williams.

There's my rap sheet. Where's your rap sheet of bad trades, bad FA pickups, and bad contracts? Bet it's a lot shorter.

I'll tell you why I'm optimistic of this season. It's because we have come to the point of this team being ready. We aren't putting all our bets on Romo. The rest of this team can carry him. Our young talent is entering their prime... Dez, Smith, Murray, Lee, Carter... Our vets haven't reached the point of being "over the hill". Austin, Witten, Ware, Spencer, Ratliff, Carr, Durant are all still very capable and reliable if healthy. I feel like we're close enough that blame won't be so heavily faulted on Romo. Same goes for credit. I don't think he should be so heavily credited for success either.

This team is strong throughout. Not without weakness, but certainly good enough to be a strong contender on paper. I feel like we got our duckies in a row in regards to our coaching staff being in their right roles and right jobs. I feel A LOT better about Kiffin now with Martinelli joining forces.

I psyched up for this season, so when I come here and read your constant disappointment, doom and gloom... then heck yeah, I have something to say about it.
I love the banter and respect your opinion. I hope your right. I hope we go 16-0 and win the SB! Like Ive said, Im just saying what my eyes are seeing even though its only preseaon. Ive said I love our young talent, Ive said we have 11-5 talent, but for some reason we finish 8-8. Hopefully this will be the year we overcome all of our shortcomings and win in the playoffs. You named all the moves you liked that we made and all the players, coaches, ect. but history shows that since Jimmy left we are 138-138. How long has Jimmy been gone now? 18 years? Weve been through a lot of coaches, players, QBs, play callers, in that time and the one constent in all that mediocrity has been JJ. If this is the year it all changes, I'll give it up to you. Again, I hope your right...

Old 08-22-2013, 04:58 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Colleges are producing NFL ready QBs better than ever before. You're used to the memories of the olden days when QBs were hard to find. Romo is good, but so far the good hasn't outweighed the bad.

We were last year. Look at the guys that were playing after our starters got hurt, then factor in the worst O-line in the league and we were only as good as we were because Romo carried us.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:15 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
We were last year. Look at the guys that were playing after our starters got hurt, then factor in the worst O-line in the league and we were only as good as we were because Romo carried us.
No, our defense kept us in games... despite being hurt, Rob made adjustments to his playcalling that mitigated our clear weaknesses that impacted us with injury.

Romo wasn't totally bad, I'll give him credit for some wins, but he made critical mistakes that killed us at times. We can't glorify Romo and blame the OL all the time.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:16 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I love the banter and respect your opinion. I hope your right. I hope we go 16-0 and win the SB! Like Ive said, Im just saying what my eyes are seeing even though its only preseaon. Ive said I love our young talent, Ive said we have 11-5 talent, but for some reason we finish 8-8. Hopefully this will be the year we overcome all of our shortcomings and win in the playoffs. You named all the moves you liked that we made and all the players, coaches, ect. but history shows that since Jimmy left we are 138-138. How long has Jimmy been gone now? 18 years? Weve been through a lot of coaches, players, QBs, play callers, in that time and the one constent in all that mediocrity has been JJ. If this is the year it all changes, I'll give it up to you. Again, I hope your right...
Not making any predictions. Just have legit hopes based on our team on paper. Can't bash the GM that put this collection of talent together.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:20 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Not making any predictions. Just have legit hopes based on our team on paper. Can't bash the GM that put this collection of talent together.
I have the same hopes, The GM has 1 Playoff win in 17 years? How many other GMs would still have a job?

Old 08-22-2013, 05:39 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Without Romo Orton would be our starter. With Orton and last years roster, we would've won 4-5 games IMO.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:15 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

,,,,,,,,,nvm.....

Last edited by pocketaces : 08-22-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:56 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I agree 100%...I see the Boys in the NFC title game...quote me on that.

Strangely enough, it'll probably be Seattle, and the media will spend a week discussing the bobbled snap, and Romo's choking in general.

He crushes all doubters(myself included) this year.

And that's mostly because the Boys will have a defense and a running game to help him when he starts doing too much.

Last edited by FreshBoy! : 08-22-2013 at 07:14 PM.
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:13 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I have the same hopes, The GM has 1 Playoff win in 17 years? How many other GMs would still have a job?
He also has 3 SB rings but those years are obviously omitted. How many teams... forget GMs only... how many teams have 3 SB rings? Some franchises that were considered great contenders during the past 17 years have none. *cough* Eagles *cough*

Playoff wins aren't exactly the standard measurement of success.