Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 09-09-2013, 02:41 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Funny, Romo throws to Witten and Austin for a combined 18 catches for 142 yards and 2 TDs. Takes what the Defense gives us and we win the game and he still gets criticized. Some people will never be happy. Im just glad we pulled it out. Last couple of years we lose that game, this time we found a way to win.

Worried about our corners/safetys. Giving up 450 yards and 4 TDs is horrible. The turnovers were great but not going to get that every game. With the money and draft resorces we've put into our Corners, they need to step it up.

Was very happy with the Dline. Thought they played well against the run and applied good pressure. The Oline was solid although we didnt run the ball very well. For the most part Romo had time which is way better than last year.

1-0 Gotta start somewhere!

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:49 PM    (permalink
crisco0710
Rookie

crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Did Clairborne come back into the game last night? Anyone know his status for next week?
crisco0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:52 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dez with a sprained left ankle. Status uncertain for Sunday.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:52 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisco0710 View Post
Did Clairborne come back into the game last night? Anyone know his status for next week?
Starting to worry about him being injury prone.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:01 PM    (permalink
BobTheCowboysTroll
Rookie

BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
That was because we took away the deep routes. You gotta step up your troll game bro.
Did you not admit you did not watch the game?

I watched the game, that is BS. Romo simply refused to push the ball downfield. In fact the commentators where even making mention of it and it you looked at the game, the Giants had 8 in the box most of the time.

So step back b/c the only one with safety help was Bryant... sometimes.
BobTheCowboysTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:05 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Funny, Romo throws to Witten and Austin for a combined 18 catches for 142 yards and 2 TDs. Takes what the Defense gives us and we win the game and he still gets criticized. Some people will never be happy. Im just glad we pulled it out. Last couple of years we lose that game, this time we found a way to win.

Worried about our corners/safetys. Giving up 450 yards and 4 TDs is horrible. The turnovers were great but not going to get that every game. With the money and draft resorces we've put into our Corners, they need to step it up.

Was very happy with the Dline. Thought they played well against the run and applied good pressure. The Oline was solid although we didnt run the ball very well. For the most part Romo had time which is way better than last year.

1-0 Gotta start somewhere!
Yes. The win heals a lot of frustration. Hopefully less settling for FGs in the future. One thing I do appreciate about Romo is that he plays tough through injury.

Dline was not bad eh? I know that was your biggest concern going into the season. Selvie did a nice job. I'm excited to get Spencer back. I think we'll find even more pressure. Hayden played very well. Cohen looked like a terror on that one replay they showed.

If this continues, I may have to put Safety as our biggest need of the offseason. I hope Wilcox starts to get more of an opportunity as the season progresses.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:05 PM    (permalink
BobTheCowboysTroll
Rookie

BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I was just as frustrated with their dink and dunk play on offense while watching the Giants eat chunks through the air.

I don't think this is the recipe for success. Hopefully things improve as we go forward. I have my doubts. We've had this discussion before.

When Romo tries to force passes, he becomes the bad guy when the ball is picked off. It's affected him mentally to the point where he'll go through his read progression and look for the most open guy. It's why he holds on to the ball so long. It's why he looks like Capt. Checkdown. It's why our #3 WR has been such a critical part of this offense through the years and once again, last night (T-Will). It's why this offensive line has been bashed so much through the years. It's why we played dink and dunk.

I do also think the playcalling played a part of it, but I wonder how many times Romo changed the call at the line. Apparently he's got more reign than ever before. If this continues, I don't like our chances. He has to be able to take shots beyond 10 yard gains. Why don't we see passes to our WRs being made before they make their cut to turnaround? Where is that type of syncronization and bond between QB and WR? I wanna see Dez run his route 15 yards make his cut and the ball is there as soon as he's turned his head. Am I wrong? Is it there and I'm just not seeing it?

Defensively, I loved the hustle, the swarming to the ball, loved the pressure from the front 4 and the LB blitzes were working well too. First time showing by Monte was a good one overall. Guys play faster for sure. Eli was pressured all night, but he just has that uncanny ability to dodge and get rid of the ball in time. He's a QB that definitely trusts his receivers to come up with the ball. Heck he was even that way when he had Martellus Bennett. I credit their intelligence. Their option route Run 'n Shoot offense demands that their QB and WRs make the same correct read. It's difficult to synchronize, but it's a beautiful thing to see when done right. ...and the Giants offense was clicking through the air way too easily last night. Hopefully Monte has a plan going forward. I still fear us going against running QBs, but gotta love the play of the defense in coming up with the turnovers. I loved it! Even when they were tackling, I could see them trying to rip the ball away. Reminded me very much of the Bears defenses.
As I was pointing out, Romo dinked and dunked all night. The Giants still had 8 in the box most of the evening unless the Boys went three wide.

The GMen did not play 2 deep all night. That is just BS from BBD. They did however provide support for Dez's side.

Williams was 1-on-1 all evening. Austin they did not run once down the middle of the field. WItten .... etc.

Sorry but that was very very very very conservative and I saw nothing the GMen doing to preventing deeper routes.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:06 PM    (permalink
BobTheCowboysTroll
Rookie

Quote:
Yes. The win heals a lot of frustration. Hopefully less settling for FGs in the future. One thing I do appreciate about Romo is that he plays tough through injury.

Dline was not bad eh? I know that was your biggest concern going into the season. Selvie did a nice job. I'm excited to get Spencer back. I think we'll find even more pressure. Hayden played very well. Cohen looked like a terror on that one replay they showed.

If this continues, I may have to put Safety as our biggest need of the offseason. I hope Wilcox starts to get more of an opportunity as the season progresses.
Safety plays was god awful as usual.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:08 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Taking the short stuff. 263 yards is a pretty average total for an NFL QB to pass for in a game. Romo routinely puts up 300+ yard games. So what gives? Take a look at his completion/attempts ratio. 36 for 49 on the evening. That's a lot of attempts to only rack up 263 yards. That was Romo being patient and taking what the defense was giving him, which was the short stuff. The Giants were determined not to get beat deep, and they were also determined to shut down Dez Bryant. They rolled a safety his way on every play. After the game Romo said that was a totally new defense from the Giants, one he's never seen them run before. But instead of doing what he's sometimes done in the past and forcing throws downfield, Romo played the dink-and-dunk game and got a victory out of it. BTW, how about a 73% completion rate. Outstanding.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 09-09-2013, 03:11 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:

Far exceeded my expectations. Nice controlling the clock and letting our D get some rest too. Yeah, Safety play hasnt been good in so long :(

Old 09-09-2013, 03:12 PM    (permalink
BobTheCowboysTroll
Rookie

Quote:
Dez with a sprained left ankle. Status uncertain for Sunday.
Tell me you were not pissed he ran a 2 yard pattern when he needed to run a 4 yarder last night on 3rd and 4?

The play he got hurt on ....
Old 09-09-2013, 03:14 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dez was bracketed by the safety and CB on every play. On more than one occasion they also used a LB to take away the quick slant that we normally use. 3 defenders on one guy? Hell as Dez said we'll take it and win the game through other means.

They truly performed an eliminate Dez gameplan.

I'm not touching the Romo talk. It's silly how he plays smart and was extremely effective (73% completion) and people complain. If he plays like Eli and airs it out long and throws a few picks we probably lose and a few of you would be screaming about bringing out Orton because he drives the bus better.

Romo literally cannot win with some of you guys.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:14 PM    (permalink
BobTheCowboysTroll
Rookie

Quote:
Taking the short stuff. 263 yards is a pretty average total for an NFL QB to pass for in a game. Romo routinely puts up 300+ yard games. So what gives? Take a look at his completion/attempts ratio. 36 for 49 on the evening. That's a lot of attempts to only rack up 263 yards. That was Romo being patient and taking what the defense was giving him, which was the short stuff. The Giants were determined not to get beat deep, and they were also determined to shut down Dez Bryant. They rolled a safety his way on every play. After the game Romo said that was a totally new defense from the Giants, one he's never seen them run before. But instead of doing what he's sometimes done in the past and forcing throws downfield, Romo played the dink-and-dunk game and got a victory out of it. BTW, how about a 73% completion rate. Outstanding.
Giants were rolling 1 safety over the Dez ..... OK .... how about running other guys deep like Williams, Austin, Witten, any other TE ...........????????? You got to stretch the field.

But this is why I was really impressed with the OL. Given the conservative approach, they still protected Romo well and Murray did get some holes to run thru. In fact, again, the Announcers were wondering why they did not run the ball more often. I agreed.

How about a play action bomb on 1 and 10 and midfield? If he was hurt I get it and could not throw the ball 30 yards but it sure looked pretty tight all night. Not just the second half.

Last edited by BobTheCowboysTroll : 09-09-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:16 PM    (permalink
BobTheCowboysTroll
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Dez was bracketed by the safety and CB on every play. On more than one occasion they also used a LB to take away the quick slant that we normally use. 3 defenders on one guy? Hell as Dez said we'll take it and win the game through other means.

I'm not touching the Romo talk. It's silly how he plays smart and was extremely effective (73% completion) and people complain. If he plays like Eli and airs it out long and throws a few picks we probably lose and a few of you would be screaming about bringing out Orton because he drives the bus better.

OMG, so they went on and on about how Romo had more say in the offense and in switching plays and ......... Austin can't run a post or deep in? AUstin was great getting out of his cuts last night and was open all night long. Williams seems to be fast. Escobar ........

How can you say he is not responsible when the entire broadcast that is all they talked about?
Old 09-09-2013, 03:23 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For those that wonder why I never respond to our resident troll he's on my ignore list. It's fun to read his posts every now and again but most of the time it's a waste of space. :) Highly recommend you adding him to yours considering how much more intelligent the conversation has been.

If you get the chance to re-watch the game take a gander at our first round pick. Frederick played a VERY good game. I think we definitely have something good going on the left side of the line but we still leak a lot of pressure from the RG and RT spots. Scandrick also played A LOT better than I would have given him credit for after Mo went down.

Meant to add the major negative. Will Allen is not a starting safety. Even removing the absolutely awful confusion play at the two minute warning in the first half he still was caught out of position. I hope one of our young guys works their way into the starting lineup so that Allen can go back to being a stud special teamer and not watching the field. He's nowhere near as bad as say McCray but he certainly isn't a guy we want on defense full-time.

Last edited by Trogdor : 09-09-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:31 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Wait, I thought we won the game?!!

My pet cat didnt get a deep ball so Im going to complain about the win? Lol too funny

Also Williams caused an INT and dropped 3 balls. Dink and dunk = 1-0. Be happy!!

Last edited by pocketaces : 09-09-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:46 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLatJerrahJones View Post
Tell me you were not pissed he ran a 2 yard pattern when he needed to run a 4 yarder last night on 3rd and 4?

The play he got hurt on ....
I was pissed. Posted my frustrations on it while the game was on. Was asking WTF is this playcalling??? I don't think it was Dez who called that route. Lol.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:52 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:

Romo can win. Air it out and NOT get picked off. Other QBs do it routinely.

He played scared and we barely escaped with a win despite 6 turnovers and 2 TDs by the Defense. If you guys think this dink and dunk style of play is the recipe for success then...

It's a double whammy if you call run plays on 1st and 2nd down, face 3rd and 6 and then dink a short pass in front of the first down marker. It's like a West Coast offense without the occassional stretch play.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:55 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
For those that wonder why I never respond to our resident troll he's on my ignore list. It's fun to read his posts every now and again but most of the time it's a waste of space. :) Highly recommend you adding him to yours considering how much more intelligent the conversation has been.

If you get the chance to re-watch the game take a gander at our first round pick. Frederick played a VERY good game. I think we definitely have something good going on the left side of the line but we still leak a lot of pressure from the RG and RT spots. Scandrick also played A LOT better than I would have given him credit for after Mo went down.

Meant to add the major negative. Will Allen is not a starting safety. Even removing the absolutely awful confusion play at the two minute warning in the first half he still was caught out of position. I hope one of our young guys works their way into the starting lineup so that Allen can go back to being a stud special teamer and not watching the field. He's nowhere near as bad as say McCray but he certainly isn't a guy we want on defense full-time.
I wouldn't call Scandrick's play that great. It was noticeable to me that Eli did decide to pick on him instead of Webb. Scandrick got beat up by Nicks. Glad to see Monte move Carr onto Nicks afterwards though. But then Eli started to throw to Cruz with ease. I dunno, I wasn't too thrilled with Scandrick, but I can't say that I watched him closely on every down either.

On another note... Isn't it GREAT to have Monday morning QB talk again!!! Wooohooo!!!!
Old 09-09-2013, 04:03 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

If Romo would have played the exact same game that Eli played and we lost, Ya'll would be all up in arms about the Romocoaster and hes a gunslinger and how he cant win unless everything is perfect! Blah Blah Blah. Now he plays a smart effective game and WE WIN, and ya'll still want to bit*h about him. Lol I dont get it. SMH

One day you say stats dont matter its all about the W's, the next your complaining after a win

Old 09-09-2013, 04:07 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

My main point D is your criticism lies with the playcalling not with the QB play. Romo took what was given to him and played efficiently. If your complaint is that the routes being run weren't optimal then I will buy that wholeheartedly.

I was not impressed AT ALL with our offensive playcalling and harped on it during the game. Anytime we enter the red zone we should do at least one fade towards Dez. Whether it's a back corner, trailing shoulder, or a built-in route combo doesn't matter. The fact we didn't attempt to let Dez bully anyone made me question our sanity. I hate screens to slower players. We called at least one maybe two to Harris. I love getting Austin and Dez touches on screens and the one training camp winkle I saw with a James Hanna screen.

When Garrett calls the plays it is too creative. If what we saw yesterday becomes the norm I'd say we went too far in the vanilla direction. I'm hoping that the Waters signing means we'll revert to a more "normal" Garrett gameplan in that we'll use short passes and the running game to open up deep play action. It's been a Garrett staple that we lost when our offensive lines have disappeared in recent years.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:16 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
My main point D is your criticism lies with the playcalling not with the QB play. Romo took what was given to him and played efficiently. If your complaint is that the routes being run weren't optimal then I will buy that wholeheartedly.

I was not impressed AT ALL with our offensive playcalling and harped on it during the game. Anytime we enter the red zone we should do at least one fade towards Dez. Whether it's a back corner, trailing shoulder, or a built-in route combo doesn't matter. The fact we didn't attempt to let Dez bully anyone made me question our sanity. I hate screens to slower players. We called at least one maybe two to Harris. I love getting Austin and Dez touches on screens and the one training camp winkle I saw with a James Hanna screen.

When Garrett calls the plays it is too creative. If what we saw yesterday becomes the norm I'd say we went too far in the vanilla direction. I'm hoping that the Waters signing means we'll revert to a more "normal" Garrett gameplan in that we'll use short passes and the running game to open up deep play action. It's been a Garrett staple that we lost when our offensive lines have disappeared in recent years.
He did go for high percentage throws and the line gave him enough time to scan the field to do that. He played safe. Glad we won the game, but my fear is that tactic isn't a long term recipe for success.

I hope we find ways to be more aggressive downfield and I hope Tony doesn't commit interceptions while doing so.

As for Austin and Dez on screens, no thanks. Scares me half to death watching them run with the ball. Makes them highly succeptible to injury especially they way they don't go down easily. RB/TE screens are fine. WR screens... yuck. Just toss them from the book. Only guys I would be able to live with there are maybe Harris or Beasley.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:21 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
If Romo would have played the exact same game that Eli played and we lost, Ya'll would be all up in arms about the Romocoaster and hes a gunslinger and how he cant win unless everything is perfect! Blah Blah Blah. Now he plays a smart effective game and WE WIN, and ya'll still want to bit*h about him. Lol I dont get it. SMH

One day you say stats dont matter its all about the W's, the next your complaining after a win
LOL, you think Romo won that game.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:48 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
LOL, you think Romo won that game.
Lol, reading comprehension! I said WE won the game, if Romo played like Eli you would have been screaming he lost it, but he didnt did he? Make up your mind, is it aboout stats or wins? When he throws for 350 yards and 4 TDs and we lose you blame him, when he throws for 250 and 2 TDs and we win you still bit*h. Admit it, you hate Romo and nothing he does can/will make you happy.

Last edited by pocketaces : 09-09-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:14 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Lol, reading comprehension! I said WE won the game, if Romo played like Eli you would have been screaming he lost it, but he didnt did he? Make up your mind, is it aboout stats or wins? When he throws for 350 yards and 4 TDs and we lose you blame him, when he throws for 250 and 2 TDs and we win you still bit*h. Admit it, you hate Romo and nothing he does can/will make you happy.
That was a very frustrating win, but I'll take it every time. I don't see it as a recipe for sustained future success, but it was just the first game. I'm sure they will improve as the season progresses. Especially if Waters can make a good improvement over Bernadump (which shouldn't be too hard).

Romo is frustrating, but he gives us a fighting chance. I haven't learned to love him, but I can accept him.

BTW, you're just as bad as me. Romo can't lose. If he dinks and dunks and we lose, you'll blame the playcalling. If he airs it out and we lose, he's still a stat monster comparable to Peyton and Brady. If he doesn't have time to throw it's on the OL. If the receivers don't catch it, they are to blame. If the TEs and RBs don't block, don't put 'em the game. If the running game doesn't provide balance then it's on the OC.

T-Will better start to come up more clutch because Romo will probably lean on him heavily this year. If I see more passes being bounced off his shoulder pads, I think I will have a hernia. HANDS BRO! HANDS!