Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 09-09-2013, 06:18 PM    (permalink
dsc1600
Veteran

dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't want to get into a pissing match with the Romo apologists or haters, I am kind of in the middle at the moment, though I definitely can sympathize with the haters, haha.

But one thing that's clear to me anyway, is that we still don't have the offense to close out games. We have an offense that moves the ball pretty well between the 20s, scores between 17 and 24 pts per game usually (unless playing from behind) and can't close the game out. This will haunt us this year.

We're still passing way too much, and this QB/WR combination struggle to move the chains on your typical 3rd downs late in games.
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:36 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Let's talk about Ron Leary... thoughts???
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:48 PM    (permalink
BobTheCowboysTroll
Rookie

BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I was pissed. Posted my frustrations on it while the game was on. Was asking WTF is this playcalling??? I don't think it was Dez who called that route. Lol.
They went into a shell up 17 but the problem is they did not try running the ball. They were like running the WCO but with vertical offense routes. Funny.
BobTheCowboysTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:50 PM    (permalink
BobTheCowboysTroll
Rookie

BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll

Quote:
I wouldn't call Scandrick's play that great. It was noticeable to me that Eli did decide to pick on him instead of Webb. Scandrick got beat up by Nicks. Glad to see Monte move Carr onto Nicks afterwards though. But then Eli started to throw to Cruz with ease. I dunno, I wasn't too thrilled with Scandrick, but I can't say that I watched him closely on every down either.

On another note... Isn't it GREAT to have Monday morning QB talk again!!! Wooohooo!!!!
Not according to some lame boys who ignore posts when it bothers their sensibilities.

You'd think we were talking ball room dancing, not football.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:10 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Let's talk about Ron Leary... thoughts???
Played well. He wasn't jumping off the screen like Smith, or Frederick to a lesser extent, but he also wasn't noticeable in a negative way like Bernie and Free. So overall I'd say he played well. He did have one bad play in which he didn't get fully set and got blown backwards on a running play into Murray's lap. When he gets set though he's a load. Can't wait to see Waters replacing Bernie as we should have a reliable interior pocket. We all know that interior pressure is Romo's kryptonite. Now if only we could find a way to not have this happen ...

Just a bunch of right-sided failure. Bernie immediately gets pushed back preventing Romo from stepping into the pocket and having JPP pass behind him. Free gets destroyed by a blind-side double from a linebacker. Murray has no chance of blocking the onslaught of defensive lineman but didn't try all that hard.

Oh well at least Eli's face can always cheer me up :)

UPDATE: Didn't want to post again but I saw PFF did their review of our game.

Highlights:
Ware was the highest scorer with a +5.4.
Hatcher scored a +4.2.
Selvie scored a +3.4.
Hayden scored a +2.7.

Noting Hayden: "Hayden in particular was a menace in the run game in the middle all game long."

The entire defensive line scoring not just positive but well into "Above Average" territory? Good deal.

PFF gushed at length about Murray and dropped this tidbit.

- The Giants D missed 11 tackles in this game, Murray forced 10 of them.

On the major downside...

"I was a huge fan of Morris Claiborne coming out of college, but watching this game I was struggling to remember why. "

"He was thrown at nine times, allowing six receptions for 139 yards and a hefty 75 after the catch as he was routinely playing too soft and failing to get back in time to challenge the New York receivers. While the rest of the Dallas defense played OK, Claiborne was the lone ugly grade, clocking in at -3.0 and looking nothing like the talent the team expected to see when they drafted him."

Last edited by Trogdor : 09-10-2013 at 06:25 AM.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:39 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That screen pass almost made me break my phone. Our running backs literally cost us the game. SO frustrating.

But we didn't deserve to win anyway. I'm still excited about our potential on offense. We saw it in the 2nd half. We just had way too many turnovers this game. Hopefully we clean up the RB position and we'll be ok moving forward. Sucks that we had to lose a divisional game to start the season though.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:07 AM    (permalink
BobTheCowboysTroll
Rookie

Mike Vick might be an MVP this year if he stays healthy.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:47 AM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Played well. He wasn't jumping off the screen like Smith, or Frederick to a lesser extent, but he also wasn't noticeable in a negative way like Bernie and Free. So overall I'd say he played well. He did have one bad play in which he didn't get fully set and got blown backwards on a running play into Murray's lap. When he gets set though he's a load. Can't wait to see Waters replacing Bernie as we should have a reliable interior pocket. We all know that interior pressure is Romo's kryptonite. Now if only we could find a way to not have this happen ...

Just a bunch of right-sided failure. Bernie immediately gets pushed back preventing Romo from stepping into the pocket and having JPP pass behind him. Free gets destroyed by a blind-side double from a linebacker. Murray has no chance of blocking the onslaught of defensive lineman but didn't try all that hard.

Oh well at least Eli's face can always cheer me up :)

UPDATE: Didn't want to post again but I saw PFF did their review of our game.

Highlights:
Ware was the highest scorer with a +5.4.
Hatcher scored a +4.2.
Selvie scored a +3.4.
Hayden scored a +2.7.

Noting Hayden: "Hayden in particular was a menace in the run game in the middle all game long."

The entire defensive line scoring not just positive but well into "Above Average" territory? Good deal.

PFF gushed at length about Murray and dropped this tidbit.

- The Giants D missed 11 tackles in this game, Murray forced 10 of them.

On the major downside...

"I was a huge fan of Morris Claiborne coming out of college, but watching this game I was struggling to remember why. "

"He was thrown at nine times, allowing six receptions for 139 yards and a hefty 75 after the catch as he was routinely playing too soft and failing to get back in time to challenge the New York receivers. While the rest of the Dallas defense played OK, Claiborne was the lone ugly grade, clocking in at -3.0 and looking nothing like the talent the team expected to see when they drafted him."
JJ said he was the highest rated corner coming out since Prime Time. Also said hes a way better cover corner than Patrick Peterson. Its still early but those rave reviews are looking pretty dumb so far. Have you seen the PFF grades on our Oline yet?

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:55 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...dallas-cowboys

Quote:
NFL clears New York Giants of faking injuries
Good thing they have Voldamara in a position of power.

If this were flipped we probably would have lost draft picks, future children, and probably donate half our cap to the Giants.

As far as PFF I don't have membership so I can't see anything that isn't on the public site. They only published the game recap which I pulled information from :)

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...nygdal-week-1/

BtB normally does features on them but I haven't caught it yet.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:14 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good stuff Trog! Haven't really ventured out to see what's been written yet.

Claiborne needs to step his game up. He needs to stop being so fragile. Do we have a hot nurse or something in the training room??? C'mon Mo! I also think part of it is that he's a better man corner than zone corner. This scheme might not be his best fit. Though it's tough to know what their assignments have actually been so far.

Did anyone notice anything Seattle Seahawks-like in our schemes?
Old 09-10-2013, 02:14 PM    (permalink
BobTheCowboysTroll
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
JJ said he was the highest rated corner coming out since Prime Time. Also said hes a way better cover corner than Patrick Peterson. Its still early but those rave reviews are looking pretty dumb so far. Have you seen the PFF grades on our Oline yet?
You know he is lying when he is moving his lips.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:27 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLatJerrahJones View Post
You know he is lying when he is moving his lips.
You love this roster that he built. Stop acting.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:47 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mo played well for a rookie last year, and had one bad game after not playing at all in the preseason. I'm not worried about him at all. They just switched to a new defense, so it's going to take time getting him in the groove of things. Once they figure out their zones he should do well. I think on one of those plays it looked like he got burned, but that didn't seem to be his zone. I think the scheme is going to allow him to play the ball better since his ball skills were awesome in college.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:02 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know on that early big play to Nicks our LBs bit HARD on the play action. That wasn't Mo's fault, Nicks should have been passed off to The LBs. Can't commit to the run in this scheme until you're sure it's a run, or plays like that will happen.

And on that 70 yarder to Cruz it definitely looked like Allen just blew his assignment.

Those quick slants Eli started hitting need to be erased by our LBs, those are kill shots in this defense... but that'll come with more experience in the scheme.

Mo didn't look %100 and played conservative but I was expecting that with him missing all pre-season. If he's still playing like that by Thanksgiving ill start to worry.

Last edited by TheFinisher : 09-10-2013 at 05:05 PM.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:58 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Nice to see calmer heads prevailing.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:52 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not calm about Mack though. Damn he sucks! Plus he's wearing the wrong number. You can't have the GOAT's number and suck so bad with it. That's a federal crime.

On the bright side, Frederick looks pretty good. His issues right now are minor, and for a rook that's really really good.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:56 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
I'm not calm about Mack though. Damn he sucks! Plus he's wearing the wrong number. You can't have the GOAT's number and suck so bad with it. That's a federal crime.

On the bright side, Frederick looks pretty good. His issues right now are minor, and for a rook that's really really good.
I was impressed when I heard Waters say the person he's been talking with in catching up to the OL scheme was Frederick. Not one of the other vets... but rather the rook. :)
Old 09-10-2013, 09:14 PM    (permalink
BobTheCowboysTroll
Rookie

Quote:
You love this roster that he built. Stop acting.
Results matter.

Recent ones in particular.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:37 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Little late to the party/ Game thoughts

- Props to Kiffin and Marinelli in changing the culture of the defense. The whole team seemed to swarm to the ball and search for turnovers. The forced fumbles on Wilson essentially created the avenue to winning the game. His benching caused the miscommunication on the screen pass that lead to Brandon Carr's game sealing INT.

-Bruce Carter is going to be a monster is this scheme. He can make plays sideline to sideline, play coverage, and raise hell as a blitzer up the middle.

- Mo clearly isn't right, once again he took the majority of the snaps with a huge cushion. Eli had easy pickings on the quick throws underneath to his side and Mo had looked limited in lateral mobility in and out of breaks. The lack of movement skills lead to the 70 yard bomb to Cruz. I personally think Scandrick should be handling the most elusive WR's in multiple WR sets regardless of where the line up. We could be in trouble next week if Claiborne in matched up against Avery or McCluster in space.

- I thought the Safety play was ok. Allen was in place to corral the overthrow in the 1st and Church was a force attacking downhill. The second Cruz touchdown was a product of the hurry up and not able to double check the coverage assignments. Allen clearly did not get know where he was supposed to be creating the bust in coverage. Other then that play both sides appeared to keep the cap on the deep plays.

-The defense should only get stronger once Spencer gets back into the mix. I wouldn't be surprised if Selvie gets the start next with with Spencer spelling in pass rush situations. Marinelli's line rotation is something I will have to get used to, it was hard to see Ware on the sideline in key moments of the game. I do think it is important to keep him fresh for the end of the season though. Hopefully we can get another boost mid season if Ratliff is able to get himself healthy.

-Cudos to the o-line as a whole, it was great to see Tony stand in the pocket and scan the field with a clean pocket. Tyron looked especially good against JPP and it will be interesting next week to see him face Houston/ Hali. Frederick and Leary played in tandem well on the inside. Bernie was left on an island way too much for my liking and the pressure from the inside was oft caused by him. Doug Free had a decent game, I don't blame him for the Romo sandwich considering he was completely blindsided by a LB running full speed while he was already engaged with a lineman. Murray should have stepped up and taken on the linebacker instead off waiting for the defender to come to him.

-Murray did a good job off grinding through out the game even though the big gaines were limited. I am surprised Callahan didn't dial up more outside runs with the linebackers tight in the box. The biggest run of the night was the pitch outside with big Tyron leading out in space.

- Witten was Witten but with all the talk of the 12 personel Escobar and Hannah fell flat with their time on the field. Neither is a great blocker so if they are unable to exploit mismatches in coverage we are better off activating Beasley to work the underneath routes.

- Think Dez has caught the attention of the league? He was bracketed in man with deep zone over the top for most of the game. We need to find a way to get him open, whether that means creating pick plays or moving him around it must be done. It was nice to see Miles consistently beat single coverage on the other side. T-Will looked horrid, I know the goal is to make him a future starter on the outside but at this point Harris is a much better player. I'd almost consider redshirting him in favor of getting Harris and Beasley on the field.

- Romo had a very solid game in terms of game management. The team has clearly worked on getting up to the line and letting Tony adjust accordingly. This is a much better approach then a long huddle and noticing something last second which allowed teams to time their pass rush with the play clock. Expect the offense to open up once teams start keying up closer to the los.

Last edited by Witten4HOF : 09-11-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:55 AM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Really good article on the dink and dunk by Romo.
http://www.cowboysnation.com/2013/09...-good-way.html

Once again, Cowboys fans are never happy. Huge week 1 win against a division rival that has owned us in our own stadium. Romo playing SMART football and not taking risks and essentially leaning on the Defense to win, is the epitome of what we've been calling for. Romo has his warts, and the "risktaker" in him will come out this season. I fully expect him to go downfield quite often to Dez & company...but if it's not there, and teams are DARING him to go long...then why fault him for doing the opposite?

I liked the way he played this past weekend. Some games a busdriver is all you need.

Loved the win...and every win afterwards...no matter how it's done. The difference between 9-7 and 10-6 may very well be Romo's "dink and dunk" game, where Austin didn't run any seams, or Dez didn't get any opportunities....and I"ll take it.

Looks like Brian Waters is playing this week too....

Last edited by FreshBoy! : 09-11-2013 at 09:09 AM.
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:46 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Here ya go

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/...mances-of-note

The Cowboys' offensive linemen as a unit aren't world beaters (yet), and had a little bit of an up-and-down performance on Sunday. Overall, they were fairly solid in pass protection, but had a little more trouble clearing space in the ground game, resulting in a total combined grade of -4.4 for the O-line performance against the Giants.

Bernadeau was clearly the odd man out on the Cowboys' line on Sunday, and the time he missed in training camp may be one reason for that.

Smith
Total: +0.3
Run Blocking: +0.1
Pass Protect: +0.7

Leary
Total: -2.0
Run Blocking: -2.9
Pass Protect: +0.6

Frederick
Total: -0.5
Run Blocking: -0.6
Pass Protect: -0.1

Bernadeau
Total: -4.5
Run Blocking: -2.4
Pass Protect: -2.4

Free
Total: +2.3
Pass Protect: +1.7

Both tackles did a good job, with Free grading out better than Smith (two penalties hurt his overall grade) while the interior O-line struggled to get a push in the run game. Word around Valley Ranch is that Brian Waters could be ready for action against the Chiefs, and judging by these grades, that would likely benefit the overall performance of the line.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:49 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
Really good article on the dink and dunk by Romo.
http://www.cowboysnation.com/2013/09...-good-way.html

Once again, Cowboys fans are never happy. Huge week 1 win against a division rival that has owned us in our own stadium. Romo playing SMART football and not taking risks and essentially leaning on the Defense to win, is the epitome of what we've been calling for. Romo has his warts, and the "risktaker" in him will come out this season. I fully expect him to go downfield quite often to Dez & company...but if it's not there, and teams are DARING him to go long...then why fault him for doing the opposite?

I liked the way he played this past weekend. Some games a busdriver is all you need.

Loved the win...and every win afterwards...no matter how it's done. The difference between 9-7 and 10-6 may very well be Romo's "dink and dunk" game, where Austin didn't run any seams, or Dez didn't get any opportunities....and I"ll take it.

Looks like Brian Waters is playing this week too....
Thanks for sharing that! I enjoyed the read.

Can't wait for Waters to replace Mack. If this OL comes together, I will be less concerned with our liabilities in the secondary. Hopefully we can just outscore opponents.

Winning trumps any style points. Dink and dunk worked this last time, but for the sake of Monday morning conversation, I felt like saying that I didn't think it was a recipe for future success. We need to incorporate the vertical game. We settled for too many FGs and that can be dangerous.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:44 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

Spencer practiced today in pads, so it's looking like he'll play Sunday in some capacity. I wouldn't mind if they eased him into a heavy spelling rotation the way the Giants did with JPP.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:47 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So whats your guys thoughts on the KC game? They have a really good front 7, dont see us running on them much at all. If we can stop JC then I think we'll win something like 23-16 or so. Hopefully Romo has time so our WRs can take over.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 09-11-2013, 02:48 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Here ya go

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/...mances-of-note

The Cowboys' offensive linemen as a unit aren't world beaters (yet), and had a little bit of an up-and-down performance on Sunday. Overall, they were fairly solid in pass protection, but had a little more trouble clearing space in the ground game, resulting in a total combined grade of -4.4 for the O-line performance against the Giants.

Bernadeau was clearly the odd man out on the Cowboys' line on Sunday, and the time he missed in training camp may be one reason for that.

Smith
Total: +0.3
Pass Protect: +0.7

Leary
Total: -2.0
Run Blocking: -2.9
Pass Protect: +0.6

Frederick
Total: -0.5
Run Blocking: -0.6
Pass Protect: -0.1

Bernadeau
Total: -4.5
Run Blocking: -2.4
Pass Protect: -2.4

Free
Total: +2.3
Pass Protect: +1.7

Both tackles did a good job, with Free grading out better than Smith (two penalties hurt his overall grade) while the interior O-line struggled to get a push in the run game. Word around Valley Ranch is that Brian Waters could be ready for action against the Chiefs, and judging by these grades, that would likely benefit the overall performance of the line.
Thanks! Thats pretty ugly. Was hoping for more out of Leary buts its early yet. Still going to be a big need in the off season.