Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 09-15-2013, 10:59 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Why because they beat us? They were 2-14 last year now they are playoff contenders? The reason people are down is because we see the same thing year after year. Baltimore last year, NE the year before that, and now this. 22-26 last 3 years and this year looks like more of the same. Its to easy to blow it off as 1 loss to an AFC team like it means nothing. Its the same old same old. Losing games we should have won.
because it would be so unheard of for a team to put of a different record with a new head coaching staff and qb.....this isn't the 2012 Chiefs...new leadership new players. Don't get so tied up in the past. Why should we have won this game? Both teams we're 1-0. The team that protected the football won. Any given sunday.....we just didn't make enough plays to win.

I can think of atleast 4 situations where all we had to do was make a play. We just didn't. Gotta credit the Chiefs sometimes too...they got romo to dump to the flats most of the 2nd half and they were ready to defend it. I just wish we woulda seen romo get a shot at the end of the game. Bad clock management put this team between a rock and a hard place.

Can't assign the blame to any one person...but 1 pt loss on the road in a hostile environment isn't to unlikely to me I guess. Tough game to go in and win...hardly say it was a game we should have won....especially after I watched us fail to execute over the course of the game. Today the Chiefs were the better team.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty

Last edited by thule : 09-15-2013 at 11:05 PM.
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:04 AM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Your making my point. Weve had several coaches, QBs, RBs, WRs, Coordinators, Ect Ect. And we still "havent done anything" Thats over the last 18 years! The ONLY constant in that time is JJ.
Can't get rid of the GM. So it's not even worth talking about.

Last edited by FreshBoy! : 09-16-2013 at 07:07 AM.
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:19 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

At least Callahan is owning the fact he called a terrible game.

In reference to both the WR screen when Dez had 1v1s as well as the end of game sequence where he called the awful RB screen with 19 seconds left.

Quote:
"I've got to do a better job of making a better call in those situations," Callahan said.
Murray should keep his trap shut though. The tried and true "it's hard to run well with so few attempts" line makes me gag. You had 25 yards on 12 carries. Maybe if you displayed ANY kind of spark you would get the rock more. Perhaps Dunbar could have seen more carries if he could learn to carry it high and tight. Note, this is not to say our offensive line did well in the running game simply that when you play poorly own it and learn from it.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:00 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The NFC East is so bad this year. We might be the worst division in football.

It's still early in the season so I won't say all hope is lost, but all 4 of our teams just don't look very good right now for a variety of reasons.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:18 AM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
Can't get rid of the GM. So it's not even worth talking about.
Not getting rid of the QB either so why did you bring that up? One min your saying we are going to the NFC Championship and 2 weeks later you want to dump our franshise QB. LOL

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:23 AM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Preparing for the future is all....

Am I overreacting? Sure...absolutely....

I still think we're going to the NFC Championship....but I'm not impressed with the offense, and I haven't been impressed with the offense in years. With all the weapons at Romo's disposal...a OL that's been blocking well...there's absolutely no reason the Cowboys can't put up more than 16 points.

I don't know what's wrong...I don't know why they can't run the ball, or why Demarco lowers his head and runs into a pile of defenders. I don't know why they can't stop from committing penalties in the red zone, or can't execute when it's time too. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever...but it's more of the same, every single year...Why?

And year after year we make excuses..."Well if the OL blocked", "If they could just get the run game going", "If Garrett gave up Playcalling!!!!"

...........it's old.

Last edited by FreshBoy! : 09-16-2013 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:58 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

At least the team is figuring out new ways to make us hate them. I agree with Murray. I have no idea what happened to him. Perhaps playing behind a crappy line since he was drafted has jaded him from actually looking for holes. He still runs hard but it's almost like he turned into Troy Hambrick during the offseason.

Hopefully versus the Rams we take the training wheels off the offensive scheme and stretch them out.

As far as the "blame Romo" tirade .... it's old. He once again completed 72% of his passers for 298 yards and a TD. Good for a 99.1 QBR. If you want to say he's not looking downfield on most of the plays I absolutely agree. However! It has to be the offensive scheme. Romo has lived and died by the long ball his entire career and this whole short passing game is the exact playstyle that Mr. Callahan enjoyed over at the Raiders.

I. Don't. Like. It.

Lets get back to original Jason Garrett style offense with Callahan calling the plays. Run sweeps, misdirections, and counters. Add in RB (not WR) screens. Abuse teams with Dez. RUN A FREAKING SLANT. Miles against a slot guy should be a matchup we dominate. Miles is fast and shifty how about utilizing him on deep routes? After we get some success in the running game then you can deliver knockout blows with deep play-action. All three of our top WRs (Dez, Miles, and Williams) range from fast to speedsters so why are we hamstringing out offense to short-to-intermediate passing.

One thing is for sure. It is not the old Garrett offense or the gunslinging Romo. Remember the Post-N-Go we always ran? Wouldn't Dez look soooo much sexier running that route than TO ever did?

As far as the team I wouldn't be shocked to see them pull it together and do some damage in the playoffs this team. On the flip side though I wouldn't be shocked if they went 8-8 and lost a couple more games in heartbreaking fashion.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:15 AM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
As far as the team I wouldn't be shocked to see them pull it together and do some damage in the playoffs this team. On the flip side though I wouldn't be shocked if they went 8-8 and lost a couple more games in heartbreaking fashion.
Exactly...and therein lies the problem.
It's all because of stupid mistakes too...it's just dumb football..time and time again. Cowboys don't lack in "talent"(There's that word again), ...I'd almost rather go through a full rebuild and a couple 2 or 4 win seasons if I thought things were looking up. This whole 8-8, capable of beating any team, and capable of losing to any team is INFURIATING to watch.

I still have hope they'll pull it together...It's just ridiculous that they lose and win the same way every single week. There's not one single thing I can point to the Dallas Cowboys of the last 7 years and say..."They are better than teams at this".

Seattle is going to run the ball down your throat and play smash mouth football on defense.

Saints & Packers are going to pass the ball and dare you to stop them.

Giants defense (historically) is going to throw wave after wave of DL's at the QB.

The Cowboys are average everywhere...in every way. No identity....well no... They're known for choking....

Sturm sums it up best:

http://sturminator.blogspot.com/

Quote:
First, an interior communication issue between the rookie center Travis Frederick and right guard Mackenzy Bernadeau had them both turning away from that gap that giant nose tackle Dontari Poe occupied and he raced in to smash Romo to the ground. Then, a false start to left guard Ronald Leary set up a 3rd and goal from the 9.

But here, on 3rd and goal is where one really has to show confusion about the entire philosophy of the Dallas Cowboys' offensive decision makers. The offense deploys 11 personnel in a 3x1 formation that puts Dez Bryant in a 1-on-1 setting with Brandon Flowers - a player he had already proven had no answer for him all day.

Bryant is calling for the ball and Romo knows how this has worked all day. We have seen Bryant beat Flowers on a fade, a back shoulder fade, and pretty much any route he wants. This is what you dream of: a huge moment to get your most dominant player in a 1 play scenario where if you are successful, you take a double-digit lead. And if you are not, you still settle for 3. And yet, the offense decides to throw it into the crowd over to the other side and Williams again on 3rd and goal on a hopeful wide receiver screen which loses 3 yards. It confused everyone who follows this team and yet was painfully predictable if you are familiar with they way they conduct themselves in these games. They play for 3 points and the safest percentage plays. And in doing so, they keep the opponent in the game yet again.

This, to me, comes back to the odd issue the Cowboys have with their perennially under-achieveing offense. They feel they have a franchise QB and pay him as such. And, he performs that way most of the time. But, it seems, when the chips are down in tight road games like this one and teams with franchise QBs would normally put it all in the hands of QB1, they seem to want to save Romo from high leverage situations by playing it safe. On 3rd and long, they are likely to call a draw play or a safe throw behind the line of scrimmage, when coverages and situations seemed to plead for them to take their $100 million QB and their unstoppable wide receiver and shove a sword into their opponent with a will-breaking touchdown.

So, a wasted opportunity in a game you really wanted once again. It is painful, because despite the season being so young, the principles involved make you feel like you have seen this episode too many times.

They show they are talented but then play "not to lose" too much. They trust their "franchise QB" to a point, but then admit he is not to always be trusted, it seems. They put their fate into the hands of their defense, but then the defense shows you they are not of elite quality when the game is on the line. They try to convince you they are better than 8-8, but then show you things that you see from 8-8 teams.

Last edited by FreshBoy! : 09-16-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:30 AM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here's an idea, thinking a little outside the box here, don't know if anyone else mentioned this but despite the miscues(dropped balls, pass interference call) You're still in the game with what 15 seconds? Do you really believe you can drive the field and get into range, the offense was not very good all day(outside of Dez).
How about you take the safety give the chiefs a 3 pt lead and try an onside kick(the chances arent great but to me better than driving with 15 seconds an no time outs) You recover maybe a play out of bounds and you're in range for bailey to send it into overtime. At least you give yourself a chance. This coaching staff is asleep!!

Last edited by Jas : 09-16-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:03 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

You want to try and onside punt rather than get down the field for a field goal? You do realize that safeties are then PUNTED right?

That idea was the only one worse than the RB screen we actually ran. :D Are you by chance Wade Phillips or perhaps Chan Gailey! \o/ I'm just kidding :)

What the team should have done is kept Murray in for pass protect and attempt to gain 30 yards and get out of bounds. That would put us in position for a two-read pass play with about 9 seconds remaining.

Option A (Miles Austin): Run as fast as possible to the opposition 40 and cut to the sideline. Romo would look to see if a dart would be possible and throw right on the cut so Miles can touch his feet and be out of bounds with a second or two remaining. Then call out Bailey for a 55-60 yard field goal.

Option B (Dez and Williams): Have Dez run a go. Williams would lineup opposite field and ran a post aiming for the left front pylon. It's essentially a hailmary in the instance that Miles is well covered and would at least give us a shot at a miracle or pass INT call.

Unfortunately for Dallas, and us, the team called a RB screen that made about as much sense as a kneel-down in the situation. Bleh.

Sturm described it well. We pay Romo like a franchise QB and he has played the part the majority of the time but in crunch-time this year we have hamstrung him. This offense is soooooo much more effective when you take the training wheels off and at least project that you are willing to take the ball deep. It wasn't a surprise that when the offense was given more rope it chunked yardage.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:30 AM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You want to try and onside punt rather than get down the field for a field goal? You do realize that safeties are then PUNTED right?

That idea was the only one worse than the RB screen we actually ran. :D Are you by chance Wade Phillips or perhaps Chan Gailey! \o/ I'm just kidding :)

What the team should have done is kept Murray in for pass protect and attempt to gain 30 yards and get out of bounds. That would put us in position for a two-read pass play with about 9 seconds remaining.

Option A (Miles Austin): Run as fast as possible to the opposition 40 and cut to the sideline. Romo would look to see if a dart would be possible and throw right on the cut so Miles can touch his feet and be out of bounds with a second or two remaining. Then call out Bailey for a 55-60 yard field goal.

Option B (Dez and Williams): Have Dez run a go. Williams would lineup opposite field and ran a post aiming for the left front pylon. It's essentially a hailmary in the instance that Miles is well covered and would at least give us a shot at a miracle or pass INT call.

Unfortunately for Dallas, and us, the team called a RB screen that made about as much sense as a kneel-down in the situation. Bleh.

Sturm described it well. We pay Romo like a franchise QB and he has played the part the majority of the time but in crunch-time this year we have hamstrung him. This offense is soooooo much more effective when you take the training wheels off and at least project that you are willing to take the ball deep. It wasn't a surprise that when the offense was given more rope it chunked yardage.
http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/safety

Maybe I was wrong, I don't know if that was a possibility. Either way this game was more than likely lost at that point. Fumbles, penalties, dropped balls, questionable play calling in the red zone, no running game, the usual.
Hopefully we get it turned around.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:23 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas View Post
http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/safety

Maybe I was wrong, I don't know if that was a possibility. Either way this game was more than likely lost at that point. Fumbles, penalties, dropped balls, questionable play calling in the red zone, no running game, the usual.
Hopefully we get it turned around.
You can kick it but without tee. Meaning an onside kick with a holder. It has been done but not in forever :) I think the Dolphins did it once or twice in the 80s but actually onside punted it.

Oh of course. I think the complete lack of intelligent thought on the last play was the main gripe. Everything you mentioned are the reasons we lost and of course are typical Dallas Cowboys hallmarks in our losses.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:40 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Quote:
You can kick it but without tee. Meaning an onside kick with a holder. It has been done but not in forever :) I think the Dolphins did it once or twice in the 80s but actually onside punted it.

Oh of course. I think the complete lack of intelligent thought on the last play was the main gripe. Everything you mentioned are the reasons we lost and of course are typical Dallas Cowboys hallmarks in our losses.
We've become used to it. And I understand trying to spread it around and develop more weapons in the red zone to keep teams guessing but WR screens need to be removed from the playbook. Here's a message to Bill Callahan and Tony Romo, I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way " ITS OKAY TO THROW TO DEZ BRYANT IN THE RED ZONE ALL DAY!!
Old 09-16-2013, 01:22 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bottomline...

We need more accountability.

D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:41 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Bottomline...

We need more accountability.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 09-16-2013, 01:42 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Not sure that gets the job done. We need a change one level higher.

I want...

For those not aware that is Stephen Jones our contracting guru and heir to the Cowboys.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:47 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Not sure that gets the job done. We need a change one level higher.

I want...

For those not aware that is Stephen Jones our contracting guru and heir to the Cowboys.
This is why I don't fault Jerry too much. For one, he does whatever the HC wants and two, the contracts are all written out by Stephen. Jerry is just a mascot.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:52 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
This is why I don't fault Jerry too much. For one, he does whatever the HC wants and two, the contracts are all written out by Stephen. Jerry is just a mascot.
I know he's just the team lightning rod. He's also one of the main reasons we are ALWAYS in the media. Granted he's doing his best to keep the cash cow alive but for once when we are mediocre I'd like for us to disappear like every other franchise :)

I'm holding up the white flag yet. The defense is MUCH better than last year and the offense hasn't played anywhere close to last year's level despite being better on every level. I do think that if the offense is playing this terrible in another two weeks that Callahan will be getting stripped of playcalling duties.

Not only that but the NFC East as a whole is pretty terrible this year thus far.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:07 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I know he's just the team lightning rod. He's also one of the main reasons we are ALWAYS in the media. Granted he's doing his best to keep the cash cow alive but for once when we are mediocre I'd like for us to disappear like every other franchise :)

I'm holding up the white flag yet. The defense is MUCH better than last year and the offense hasn't played anywhere close to last year's level despite being better on every level. I do think that if the offense is playing this terrible in another two weeks that Callahan will be getting stripped of playcalling duties.

Not only that but the NFC East as a whole is pretty terrible this year thus far.
I think Vick and RG3 will eat this defense alive. I have never seen a Monte Kiffin defense contain a running QB. Heck, even Alex Smith had a career rushing day yesterday.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:55 PM    (permalink
BobTheCowboysTroll
Rookie

BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
This thread is such a drag after a loss. That game certainly leaves a bad taste in all of our mouths. But the simple fact is we lost a non-conference game against a playoff caliber team in the AFC. The loss impacts our season very minimally...so although this loss hurts...it's the type of loss we can take and get better from. We weren't going 16-0 so no need to cry over a loss.

Am I the only one who disagreed with Garretts decision to call his timeouts just under 4 mins in the 4th quarter? The Chiefs couldn't stop shooting themselves in the foot...and yet we are putting the game on the line with over 3 mins left in the 4th? I understand we wanted to pin them down at their own 10 yard line and force a punt...but no reason to use time outs. You can hold them deep and call no time outs with the 2 min warning and get the ball back at midfield with 3 times outs. Garrett literally put the game in the hands of the refs and Claiborne get screwed and a bull **** call. Avery sold that ****...and it just makes me sick that it was even up for dispute. We should have saved our timeouts for inside of 2 mins and we would have stood a chance. The funny thing is everyone wants to be mad that we lose close games. But this is just another classic example of Garrett mismanaging the game. He took the ball right out of Romo's hands and didn't even give him a shot. Who cares what the call is on our goal line with 10 seconds.....we lost the game 2 mins before that.
This begs all reason. LOL.

2-14 to Playoff contender? 2011, 6-9.

Wow.
BobTheCowboysTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:30 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

I don't see KC as a playoff team, but they are a much better team than last year's squad. This is a team that cut Eric Winston in order to draft Eric Fisher with their first pick. They didn't have a lot of big holes to address in the draft. Coaching and QB were their main weaknesses. Their OL was set (even WITH Winston). RB set. WR set. Front 7 set. Secondary set.

The guys who called this a trap game were right on the money. Last year's record allowed guys (including me) to misjudge this team.

I think my biggest surprise is that Dontari Poe isn't a bust. I still can't believe that.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:52 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

During our time in Oxnard, I witnessed Jason Garrett and Bill Callahan using creative ways to run the ball not just the simple zone scheme types but sweeps and traps out of different formations. On these plays there was movement with the tight ends and line that took advantage of what these backs can do. In the first quarter, Callahan put three wide receivers on the field with Murray as the pistol back. At the snap, Romo hands the ball to Murray running left. Witten is able to seal the edge with a nice down block with Smith and Leary both pulling out in front of the play. Frederick manages to cut Poe off and there is a lane on the outside. With that those blocks, Murray takes the ball and is able to smash forward picking up six yards and a first down. Nice design and execution.

To start the 2nd half, Romo has the offense moving the ball smartly down the field. Callahan puts Lance Dunbar in the game once again using the pistol formation, with a two tight end set right. Hanna is wing right and at the snap, the line goes hard to their right like they are running a zone play but Hanna comes back underneath left. The Chiefs defenders all go with the flow as Hanna traps Tamba Hali leaving Dunbar one-on-one with safety Kendrick Lewis. Dunbar breaks Lewis’ tackle and manages to finish a 12 yard run. Again, creative design with the deception of the zone scheme, but also using Hanna at the point of attack to spring the run.

Where I am having trouble in this running game, is not what is happening up front or even who’s carrying the ball. The trouble I see is when running plays that are designed well and successfully executed are only being used one time in a game, then I have a problem. In Washington, Joe Gibbs ran his famous “Counter Trey” over and over even out of different formations but it still had the same effectiveness. This running game should be better with Ronald Leary, Travis Frederick and Brian Waters physically but it’s going to be up to these coaches to put them in situations where they have the best chance to succeed. I feel like they can do that because I have seen it before.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/ar...f-56294a700ce5

Old 09-16-2013, 10:50 PM    (permalink
Gribble
Pro Bowler

Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really enjoy Bryan Broaddus' stuff.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:59 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
During our time in Oxnard, I witnessed Jason Garrett and Bill Callahan using creative ways to run the ball not just the simple zone scheme types but sweeps and traps out of different formations. On these plays there was movement with the tight ends and line that took advantage of what these backs can do. In the first quarter, Callahan put three wide receivers on the field with Murray as the pistol back. At the snap, Romo hands the ball to Murray running left. Witten is able to seal the edge with a nice down block with Smith and Leary both pulling out in front of the play. Frederick manages to cut Poe off and there is a lane on the outside. With that those blocks, Murray takes the ball and is able to smash forward picking up six yards and a first down. Nice design and execution.

I totally agree with this. Two weeks in a row the team has tried to establish the run game and failed. In both games the defense played close to the vest and walked their LB's in tight to the LOS. There were a number of formations that we attempted to run from.. Twin tight, pistol etc but they routinely ran between the tackles. With the LB's 4 yards off of the LOS it is too easy to flood the the gaps, especially with no lead blocker to cut off the second level.

Callahan and co need to start running stretch plays to the perimeter to get the defense moving down the LOS instead of coming directly downhill at the runner. Take advantage of your athletic tackles in space and get the tight ends up to the second level to slow down the linebackers. This will make the entire defense move with the ball setting up opportunites for bootlegs in PA and designed cut back / trapts in the run game. Running outside loosens up lanes inside as well once a defense has to adjust to the outside threat. Linebackers step back so that they aren't bottled up inside and the d-line slows down a hair while diagnosing where the run is designed allowing the big boys inside to get push.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:59 AM    (permalink
BobTheCowboysTroll
Rookie

BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll

Quote:

To start the 2nd half, Romo has the offense moving the ball smartly down the field. Callahan puts Lance Dunbar in the game once again using the pistol formation, with a two tight end set right. Hanna is wing right and at the snap, the line goes hard to their right like they are running a zone play but Hanna comes back underneath left. The Chiefs defenders all go with the flow as Hanna traps Tamba Hali leaving Dunbar one-on-one with safety Kendrick Lewis. Dunbar breaks Lewis’ tackle and manages to finish a 12 yard run. Again, creative design with the deception of the zone scheme, but also using Hanna at the point of attack to spring the run.

Where I am having trouble in this running game, is not what is happening up front or even who’s carrying the ball. The trouble I see is when running plays that are designed well and successfully executed are only being used one time in a game, then I have a problem. In Washington, Joe Gibbs ran his famous “Counter Trey” over and over even out of different formations but it still had the same effectiveness. This running game should be better with Ronald Leary, Travis Frederick and Brian Waters physically but it’s going to be up to these coaches to put them in situations where they have the best chance to succeed. I feel like they can do that because I have seen it before.

What you describe is symptomatic of people who think they are smarter than you who want to prove it by "outsmarting you."

This mindset is endemic with Garrett (play calling) and also with Jones (reaching for players in the draft). Instead of taking the layup for 2 points, they are fading into the stands to shoot a spectacular three.
BobTheCowboysTroll is offline   Reply With Quote