Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 09-17-2013, 06:14 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Our defense is doing plenty to win imo. Our top 5 offense moves the ball at will as long as a penalty doesn't occur on the drive. What I don't get is why we can't ever win big. The KC game is a perfect example. Could have been a double digit lead after the first half. But failure to execute under pressure takes points off the board.

I know I read something about this yesterday but think this stat blows my mind.

Last year we won 1 game by more then 7 points. It was November 11th in Philly and we won 38-23.

The reason we won this game by more than 7 points is because tied up at 17-17...Dwayne Harris busts a punt return for a TD. Then a few plays later they get a pick 6. This puts the cowboys up 31-17 and we handily put the game away.

When is our next victory going to be where we dominate a opponent and it shows on the scoreboard? Garrett is holding this team back. We lack a killer instinct. Rather than assert ourselves against our opponents weaknesses...we stick to the gameplan and grind out games that come down to the wire. This isn't the worst strategy...but in a league where any team can win on any sunday you got to do as much as you can to let a big play NOT BEAT YOU. If we are up 17-3 or 17-7 you can afford to give up a deep pass. But keep the games close and have a failure to execute....all of a sudden you are down to an inferior team because of one play. One ******* play. Until we assert our dominance on the field we are going to be a middle of the pack team. I love Garretts management of the team/media/players....but we need someone with a killer instinct calling the offense. This will likely never be the case while Garrett is in place...but if there is one thing we can improve on...it's exposing weaknesses.

We have a whole offensive personel setup with guys to create mismatches ... yet too often we are left calling plays just to call plays. What makes a guy like Eli Manning elite is because he can expose weaknesses. He doesn't care of Nicks or Cruz is coverage playing against Alan Ball or Bradie James. He understands that those guys are inferior players so he can AFFORD to take a chance. Romo inside the 5....how do you not even look at Dez? He should be your first look. Hell even if you aren't going to him...a fake hand signal might be just enough to get inside on the safety who has his eyes outside.

This rant really has no point. I just can't believe how many close games we've played since Garrett has been here. Hell even look back to 2011. What happened to this team that blew out inferior opponents.

2011 Big Wins
WIN RAMS 7 COWBOYS 34
WIN BILLS 7 COWBOYS 44
WIN AT COWBOYS 31 BUCCANEERS 15

We need to get back to dominating teams that aren't built to stop our offense. We have an elite WR. a physical RB. A crafty TE. TE with speed and size. All these guys were brought in to create mismatches. Now lets actually see them line them up...get the matchup they want...and execute. A lot easier to execute when you have a physically superior player being covered by an inferior player. Want proof just look at our interior pass defense from 2010-2012 when the middle of the field was so wide open Peyton's mom could have thrown for 400 yards and 4 tds.
The reason why we dont win big is because our coach plays not to lose instead of playing to win IMO. This franchise needs an overhall but the biggest problem isnt going anywhere so...

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:29 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Sooooo let me get this right, after staying awake for ONE quarter, your going to blame the loss on Romo and call him a mental midget huh? You say he doesnt trust his WRs but he throws a perfect deep ball to Dez for possibly the game clinching score only to see it dropped. He needs to trust the 31st ranked rushing attack (2012 franshise low) regarless of the results (2.1 YPC) LOL D you need to get off the Romo sucks tirade and actually watch the whole game before you come with that weak azz conclusion.

If he throws it deep into double coverage its an idiotic play and hes a "gunslinger" if he doesnt its because he doesnt trust his WRs and all he does is dink and dunk. He cant win with you.
Because the throws that he does make are throws that 2/3rds of starting NFL QBs out there can make with ease. There's nothing special to his game anymore. He doesn't use his feet like he used to. He doesn't have a cannon arm. Most of all, he plays scared. There's NO aggressiveness in his style. He doesn't attack. He holds onto the ball and tries to make the high percentage pass. He looks like Alex Smith when he was with the Niners.

But even Alex Smith was the better QB on Sunday. How sad is that? It's reality. You keep putting him in the same aire as Brady and Manning and I keep trying to bring you to reality. I wonder what you will say about him when he won't have the gaudy passing stats like he did under Garrett's playcalling. Under Callahan Romo is going to look like a pile of dump if things don't change.

I got a new nickname for Romo. The 3 quarter QB.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:32 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The reason why we dont win big is because our coach plays not to lose instead of playing to win IMO. This franchise needs an overhall but the biggest problem isnt going anywhere so...
Tony Romo is NOT our coach.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:36 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

D-Unit has gone full clown-shoes.

I expect this from LOLJerrah not from D-Unit. How in the world can you accurate judge a game when you admit to not watching it...?

*shrugs*

One less reason to venture outside off-topic in these forums.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:53 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
D-Unit has gone full clown-shoes.

I expect this from LOLJerrah not from D-Unit. How in the world can you accurate judge a game when you admit to not watching it...?

*shrugs*

One less reason to venture outside off-topic in these forums.
I really can't stand Tony Romo. What is the medicine?

He's a mediocre QB that some Cowboys fans have placed on an alter. He's good enough to win with occassionally, but there is no facet of dominance to his game. Every offseason I think, "OK! We put more things in place around him to make him better!" Then the SOS happens.

I want to believe that we can win if everything else around him goes right. But then a false start, a dropped pass, a botched FG or a bad play call gets blamed every time! Never Romo!

Where is his accountability as QB of this team? Does he hold his teammates accountable? I see Brady chewing his teammates out! I want him to demand perfection! Doesn't help with Garrett being soft as Charmin either, but that's why I want Gruden. Accountability!

Last edited by D-Unit : 09-17-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:15 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post

He's a mediocre QB that some Cowboys fans have placed on an alter. He's good enough to win with occassionally, but there is no facet of dominance to his game. Every offseason I think, "OK! We put more things in place around him to make him better!" Then the SOS happens.

I want to believe that we can win if everything else around him goes right. But then a false start, a dropped pass, a botched FG or a bad play call gets blamed every time! Never Romo!

Where is his accountability as QB of this team? Does he hold his teammates accountable? I see Brady chewing his teammates out! I want him to demand perfection! Doesn't help with Garrett being soft as Charmin either, but that's why I want Gruden. Accountability!
It's funny how YOU always mention Brady when we talk about Romo. How he carries his team blah blah blah but when I watched him this past week he was under 50% and scored 13 points against a below average Jets team AT HOME. He hasn't won a Super Bowl in what, 8 years? I am in NO WAY comparing Romo to Brady or Rodgers but he's WAY better than you give him credit for but then again you act like QBs are falling from trees and everybody has a great one but us LOL That 2.1 YPC and dropped pass ain't on Romo bro. Not to mention Carter dropped a pick 6 and Allen dropped a pick that would have kept the Chiefs out of the end zone in the 1st half.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 09-17-2013, 07:20 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I think we see eye to eye on Romo. He's a capable QB and there's certainly worse out there... just ask Jacksonville, TB or the Jets. But that's all he is... capabale, competent, etc. The thing that made him stand out was his ability to extend plays and his gunslinger mentality, certainly not his arm talent... and I don't know if it's father time catching up to him but he's lost that mobility and has turned from a gunslinger to captain checkdown. Talent wise, what makes him stand out from the rest of the pack?

And I still question his decision making at the position because he does **** like this that makes no sense...

Last edited by TheFinisher : 09-17-2013 at 07:22 PM.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:53 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
I think we see eye to eye on Romo. He's a capable QB and there's certainly worse out there... just ask Jacksonville, TB or the Jets. But that's all he is... capabale, competent, etc. The thing that made him stand out was his ability to extend plays and his gunslinger mentality, certainly not his arm talent... and I don't know if it's father time catching up to him but he's lost that mobility and has turned from a gunslinger to captain checkdown. Talent wise, what makes him stand out from the rest of the pack?

And I still question his decision making at the position because he does **** like this that makes no sense...

Ya know what, I hadn't posted about the game yet, and all I have been thinking about was this play. I came in not to talk about the overall game, but this play specifically. It burns me up to no avail at the result of this play. For some reason we have to overthink ourselves and try to be cute. Cincy doesn't get down to that point and go "they'll never pay attention to Marvin Jones on a screen pass that's what we'll do", Detroit doesn't shy away from Calvin because he gets attention. Who gives a ****. Elite players get attention, we've got to figure that out.

If we see this pre-snap, the play should be a fade to Dez 100% of the time, whether we have to audible into it or not. It just makes absolutely no sense we would rather trust a rookie running a screen over one of the most dominant WR's in the game who chewed up 100 yards in a quarter of play. Sickening. This play really doesn't give me any hope this year, it's a gimme TD and we settle for ******** then kick a fg and wonder why we lose.

Who gives a **** that they know we are throwing to Dez? Does anyone here doubt that if we ran 3 Dez fades in a row that he wouldn't catch one of them for a TD? Why not do that until they show they can stop it, Flowers was going to get ripped for a huge day then we get nervous of coverage and go away. Not sure if Tony is playing afraid to throw picks, but I don't like what I see.

I really don't care about all the other players, this one has stuck with me since it happened and I don't think I'll ever get over it. If we lose, we lose. Throw it to Dez and he drops it and we kick a fg, cool. It was the highest percentage play to go to at the time. But to go to a rookie on a screen pass and leave Dez on an island is ******* stupid. Our red zone offense would improve if we fed one of the best red zone WR's in the game but I guess if the other team knows it's coming that's not dazzling enough for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:01 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

We all agree with that LL. The other thing is we spent a 2nd rounder to be a big red zone threat too. Wheres he been? Other than TF our draft is looking worse and worse.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:01 PM    (permalink
Gribble
Pro Bowler

Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't understand the fascination with making one loss a microcosm of the Cowboys since Romo has been the starter. Chill out. 1-1.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:12 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
It's funny how YOU always mention Brady when we talk about Romo. How he carries his team blah blah blah but when I watched him this past week he was under 50% and scored 13 points against a below average Jets team AT HOME. He hasn't won a Super Bowl in what, 8 years? I am in NO WAY comparing Romo to Brady or Rodgers but he's WAY better than you give him credit for but then again you act like QBs are falling from trees and everybody has a great one but us LOL That 2.1 YPC and dropped pass ain't on Romo bro. Not to mention Carter dropped a pick 6 and Allen dropped a pick that would have kept the Chiefs out of the end zone in the 1st half.
Brady would dream to have our offense while Romo continues to find flaws in it. It's like Romo doesn't know how to get out of 2nd gear. Brady would be flying in 5th gear with this team.

I only bring up Brady because that's who you brought up when comparing "stats". You guys brought up Brady and Peyton specifically.

I'm not the one starting the Brady talk. I'm trying to end it.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:14 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:

OH man!!! I'm definitely gonna watch the rest tonight.

This is sickening to my stomach. Is it after this play that Romo stops going to Dez and then the excuse being he was double covered?
Old 09-18-2013, 08:31 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some great stuff on btb today.

Quote:
Dallas ranks No. 24 in offense. No Cowboys player finds himself among the NFL's top 12 in passing, rushing or receiving. Only five teams have scored fewer offensive touchdowns than the three the Cowboys have scraped together.
Quote:
Here is how it happens: The lack of run brings more blitzing. The blitzing causes you to unload the ball fast. Unloading the ball fast means nobody's route can develop and all passes are within 5 yards of the line. All the passes being short makes the defense all crowd the line. Crowding the line closes the windows for the passes. And suddenly, either you fit the ball into a very tight spot or you are punting again. And, with a bout of inaccuracy from their QB in the 4th Quarter Sunday that might have had to do with his ribs or just the pressure, the Cowboys were doomed.
Quote:
Through the first two weeks PFF has him ranked as the seventh best offensive tackle in the league. For perspective, Tyron Smith ranks 26th out of a total of 68.
Quote:
Pro Football Focus Grading system

- Gavin Escobar is ranked (22nd) higher than Jason Witten (37th).

- DeMarco Murray is eighth among all running backs.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:37 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Honestly, I think the run game is overrated. I just don't like the passing concepts you guys are running. Plenty of teams in this league fling it all over the field without a run game.

And I don't like Romo's anticipation lately. He needs to be willing to fit the ball into tighter windows. Throw guys open. He's not throwing guys open. And he doesn't trust his outside WRs to make more plays. There's plays to be made on the outside but unless they're blatantly open he's not willing to fit the ball in there.

But mostly, I think it's the route trees that's the issues. I'm not a fan of the passing concepts right now.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:40 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ya Romo has been killed for the past 3 offseasons to protect the football and not turn the ball over. We are seeing that on the field. It really works against Tony's biggest strength. But I am still hopeful...only 2 games into a long season. Plenty of time to figure it out.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:55 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hate that we're having the same arguments we've been having for the last few years. This isn't old to anyone else?

Its jg...or romo... Or both.
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:06 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Honestly, I think the run game is overrated. I just don't like the passing concepts you guys are running. Plenty of teams in this league fling it all over the field without a run game.

And I don't like Romo's anticipation lately. He needs to be willing to fit the ball into tighter windows. Throw guys open. He's not throwing guys open. And he doesn't trust his outside WRs to make more plays. There's plays to be made on the outside but unless they're blatantly open he's not willing to fit the ball in there.

But mostly, I think it's the route trees that's the issues. I'm not a fan of the passing concepts right now.
It's not overrated when it's completely abandoned. We heard our coaches say after Game 1 that we needed more balance with the run. Game 2 came and it got even worse! ...now they are saying the same thing... Problem is these guys just can't help it. Our coaching staff and QB lack discipline to commit to the run. I think a big part of that is similiar to what you said about our passing concepts. That our running concepts suck!

Our coaches are stupid. They decided that they don't want to carry a FB on the roster. That erases every running play that ever involved a FB. So they decided to rely on our TEs to block, then proceeded to draft a TE in Round 2 that can't run block. BUT he's a great receiving target they say... but he's nowhere to be found in the passing game. They're trying to use Witten as an extra lineman on running plays and he's decent but I think the designs of our running plays are often destined to fail. There's no deception. You hear the saying, "passing the ball to set up the run" and vice versa, but we're doing neither.

2nd Qtr, backed up near our own goaline. The sequence goes like this.

1st down - Dez slants inside has Flowers beat, Romo sees him, but doesn't pull the trigger, looks elsewhere sees Murray on the checkdown and Romo's pass is batted at the line.

2nd down - DAL lines up in run formation, run goes nowhere. Too predictable; no disguise, KC puts 9 in the box, Cowboys OL/TE can't overpower KC. Of course Murray gets nothing.

3rd down - KC weakside blitz, Romo throws it in the ground.

4th down - PUNT

Just as you noted about Romo's anticipation... it's off! On 1st down he has a clear shot to Dez with Flowers trailing, but the window is small and he doesn't take it. He tries to make other reads holding onto the ball backed up near the goalline and finally tries to dump it off to Murray. He's lucky that ball wasn't a pick 6.

Then 2nd down, with 9 in the box we decide to run it. Why not audible out and try to beat them? No, we let KC have the numbers and smash us. Murray gains a yard with no room to run. We couldn't be more predicatable if we tried.

3rd down, yeah... I think our passing concepts really must stink. But in addition, I think Callahan's decision making stinks. With 3rd and long near our own goalline, don't you think there is a high chance that KC might blitz??? Call something to beat it! Our guys are all on vertical routes, Tony has no time for the routes to develop and is forced to get rid of it to avoid the sack.

Callahan is a WCO guy. I don't know of a WCO run w/out a FB. Can anybody else? Cause right now, it's not a wonder why our running game stinks. Murray is set up for failure.

PLAYCALLING HAS BEEN ATROCIOUS.
THE PLAYBOOK IS ATROCIOUS.
THE GAME PLANNING IS ATROCIOUS.
THE STRATEGY TO PUT THIS TEAM TOGETHER IS ATROCIOUS.

Last edited by D-Unit : 09-18-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:13 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Garrett has not made it a secret that he wants to duplicate the Patriots 2 TE offense. Everyone knows the Patriots will pass heavily and any runs are a simply a byproduct.

I had grand expectations to see a high powered offense this season and all we've seen is dink and dunk, dink and dunk.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:19 PM    (permalink
BobTheCowboysTroll
Rookie

BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll

Quote:
Where is Miles Austin? Witten? Murray out of the backfield? If Dez is drawing coverage, why aren't we finding the free guy?

...oh nvmd... I see Callahan running them through timed 5 yard sprints on the practice cam. lmao
You mock my earlier post then repeat it.

Good job. Good effort.
BobTheCowboysTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:21 PM    (permalink
BobTheCowboysTroll
Rookie

BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
I hate that we're having the same arguments we've been having for the last few years. This isn't old to anyone else?

Its jg...or romo... Or both.
That tends to happen when you don't fix the problems to begin with but double up on them.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:30 PM    (permalink
BobTheCowboysTroll
Rookie

Quote:

I don't know if people remember but after the 13-3 season I vividly remember Romo plus coaching staff talking lots of Tom Brady and trying to pattern his game after that. How we needed to do this to eliminate turnovers and the like.

Since that silly talk, the stats show he runs lots less, big plays are down and his completion percentage is up. He also is throwing lots more time per game but his passing stats are not inflating the same way.

He was always more dangerous out of the pocket than in it. That is what teams always said they would try to do .... keep him in the pocket and not let him step up into his throws.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:55 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLatJerrahJones View Post
I don't know if people remember but after the 13-3 season I vividly remember Romo plus coaching staff talking lots of Tom Brady and trying to pattern his game after that. How we needed to do this to eliminate turnovers and the like.

Since that silly talk, the stats show he runs lots less, big plays are down and his completion percentage is up. He also is throwing lots more time per game but his passing stats are not inflating the same way.

He was always more dangerous out of the pocket than in it. That is what teams always said they would try to do .... keep him in the pocket and not let him step up into his throws.

I agree with this. I just wanted a happy medium, he needed to keep being a gun slinger but just reel it in at times, understand game situations. I am not seeing nearly enough big plays for this offense yet though, we aren't good enough to dink and dunk all the way down field and still haven't mastered how to score in the red zone.

Quote:
Old 09-18-2013, 08:05 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
And he doesn't trust his outside WRs to make more plays. There's plays to be made on the outside but unless they're blatantly open he's not willing to fit the ball in there.
This has always been a huge issue with Romo to me and hasn't changed. I don't know if you remember a few years ago when Kitna played vs you guys on Sunday or Monday night, it was Dez' rookie season, and he had his best game of the entire season. Is that a coincidence that it happened with a well below average QB with shoddy accuracy? But if you look at a majority of those targets with Dez he was covered when the ball was thrown but he let him go up and get the ball, Dez had 2 TD's that game and he probably ran 2 routes.

We just like to outsmart teams, do plays they never will think is coming. For some reason we don't like to throw at Dez when the defense is giving him attention even though he's shown he's good enough that it doesn't matter. We just aren't that good of a team all around, and running our offense through him would be the most productive. His red zone efficiency speaks for itself and it's easily our best option down there.

I'm not even saying force the issue and try to give him 15 catches a game, but when it's obvious, like the play charted above, you've got to notice that and go to it 100% of the time. At least now that Romo is in charge more I can blame all of that on him. Funny thing is Dez had a right to ***** big time about that and definately shows his character that a WR isn't complaining because it would be a huge story if he did.

Quote:
Old 09-18-2013, 08:08 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
We all agree with that LL. The other thing is we spent a 2nd rounder to be a big red zone threat too. Wheres he been? Other than TF our draft is looking worse and worse.
I still like our class right now, but we just made some picks that were really questionable. I said at the time, Escobar and Terrance Williams will be good players but why in the hell did we need them? Why wasn't an offensive lineman and d lineman more important there? Truthfully I'll never get this teams fascination with blowing 2nd rounders on back-up TE's that never play. We do that as if we have talent all over the ball but whatever. As a whole, still think we get at least 3 starters out of this class and good players so hard to really say that looks terrible. We probably end up with more.

Also shout out to Dontari Poe. A few of us wanted him in the draft boards that year, I know I fell in love with the measurables and didn't care about the film so much. Not like I'm a prophet or anything because Jarron Gilbert was just as intriguing to me, but Poe isn't supposed to move like that to be so big. He's gonna be a monster.

Quote:
Old 09-18-2013, 08:18 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Also shout out to Dontari Poe. A few of us wanted him in the draft boards that year, I know I fell in love with the measurables and didn't care about the film so much. Not like I'm a prophet or anything because Jarron Gilbert was just as intriguing to me, but Poe isn't supposed to move like that to be so big. He's gonna be a monster.
I loved Poe coming out I remember gushing in the draft thread lol :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Dontari Poe. His tape is shaky although he was severely misused which also shows on tape. Is he a jumbo 5-tech or a NT in our defense? He is a fantastic enigma for us although I see him being taking top 11 due to his immense ceiling. With proper coaching, scheme, and the required personal drive from Poe he could easily be the most dominant defensive lineman in the league. Granted on the same token play him out of position or if he turns out lazy/disinterested he could bust without impact. He is certainly the type of player that makes a defensive coach look like a genius for taking him and coaching him to be elite... or type of player that makes a GM/scouts look like complete imbeciles for ignoring red flags on tape. Me personally? Sign me up. I trust Rob, Newton and company to teach him proper leverage and hand placement that will instantly make him ten times the player he is currently. Regardless of tape you cannot teach a 350 pound man to be that athletic.
Reading old draft threads is a ton of fun and a happy distraction from arguing. :)
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote