Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 09-20-2013, 02:53 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its official

IRVING, Texas -- There was all sorts of praise coming from Cowboys coach Jason Garrett on Friday regarding rookie safety J.J. Wilcox.

It appears Wilcox will move into the starting lineup for Sunday's Week 3 game against the St. Louis Rams. If that occurs, Wilcox will become the first rookie to start at safety since Patrick Watkins did it in 2006 when he started nine regular-season games.

Wilcox's journey is interesting.

At Georgia Southern he played wide receiver and running back, before switching to safety his senior year. Wilcox started 13 games and earned first-team All-Southern Conference honors. The Cowboys liked his potential as a playmaker and drafted him in the third round, 80th overall.

"Well, we like what heís done and we drafted him where we drafted him for a reason, and that was a concern (lack of safety experience) of ours just really based on biography more than anything else," Garrett said. "It wasnít anything we necessarily saw on tape that would be a concern for us. He was a small-school guy, didnít have a lot of experience playing the position in college, but since playing here heís demonstrated the ability to pick things up quickly. Heís an instinctive player. He has a good feel for the game and a good feel for being around the football and making plays."

While in camp, Wilcox made several key plays in practice, but he left camp for 10 days when his mother, Marshell, died after a long bout with Lupus. Wilcox returned and felt behind, but led the Cowboys in tackles in the preseason and picked up an interception.

"Anytime you stay a day away from football, it puts you weeks behind," Wilcox said. "So I had to catch up mentally and physically; Just get back into shape and get back mentally, just getting back into a groove and getting a feel for it and catching up with the schemes. Coach (Monte) Kiffin does a great job with me day in and day out staying after (practice), and itís coming along pretty good."

Wilcox took his mother's death hard and was worried about his father, James, and sister, Lesha, whom he left behind in Cairo, Ga., to deal with family issues while he returned to the Cowboys. But Wilcox said dad and sister are fine and they saw him play in the Week 1 game against the New York Giants.

There's a chance his father and sister will come to Sunday's game, but Lesha has a cheerleading competition to attend.

"She's seen me play," Wilcox said of his mother. "She's had a chance to see her son actually make it to what I've always wanted to do. Thatís the main thing, and I have to keep it living and just make her happy and do what she wanted me to do."
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowbo...-starting-role

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:49 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope he's the second coming of Darren Woodson.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:21 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I tried to forget the name Pat Watkins. Really thought he was going to be a stud.
Paul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:31 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I tried to forget the name Pat Watkins. Really thought he was going to be a stud.
Yeah, we all loved him when we drafted him.... but then he did nothing.

Sorta reminds me of Antonio Bryant. I thought he was going to be a huge stud for us.

BTW, love it when you post here!
Old 09-20-2013, 08:45 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Haha I'm right with you guys hearing that name Pat Watkins made me smh I remember those days very well sadly. Really brings our Safety position full circle. The bad thing about playing so many different positions is he hasn't had a chance to grasp the Safety position very long but the positive out of that is it shows he's just a football player and more so then that, he has skills on the offensive side of the ball.

I think that helps the instincts of a Safety who has experience playing WR and RB catching passes and understanding route concepts. It also shows he's so athletic that he can look good at a few different spots, I'm worried, but it isn't like Will Allen is anybody that deserves to be still starting. I'm expecting more highlight plays, and a few more mental mistakes back there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:50 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
I hate trying to pump sunshine about a player cause we've all seen examples of flashes of brilliance followed by disappointment...but I really hope Dunbar can get over his fumble issues...I think he can be a real key in opening up this offense. Putting him in screens and in space would add a dimension we haven't seen since Felix was a rookie.
I'm not overreacting but from just limited touches Dunbar looks much more explosive then Murray thus far. Murray is a great all around RB, but as soon as Dunbar touches the ball it looks like he's getting shot out of a cannon and I think he's going to score. We need to be utilizing him more, I want to keep Murray healthy all year and we need that big play threat at RB again. He also has bulked up from the tiny little guy who was around last year, I already hated the Randle pick but now I hate it even more because he's nowhere near this explosive.

I wouldn't mind seeing him get more standard carries/touches, 10 a game would be perfect for him.

Quote:
Old 09-20-2013, 10:43 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I'm not overreacting but from just limited touches Dunbar looks much more explosive then Murray thus far. Murray is a great all around RB, but as soon as Dunbar touches the ball it looks like he's getting shot out of a cannon and I think he's going to score. We need to be utilizing him more, I want to keep Murray healthy all year and we need that big play threat at RB again. He also has bulked up from the tiny little guy who was around last year, I already hated the Randle pick but now I hate it even more because he's nowhere near this explosive.

I wouldn't mind seeing him get more standard carries/touches, 10 a game would be perfect for him.
And he would if he could hold on to the damn football!

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 09-21-2013, 10:06 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post

The problem with Murray isn't explosion imo, he has legit high 4.3/ low 4.4 speed. At full speed he is a tough target to attack in space but he is an old school one cut and go kind of guy. Without a full back it is tough sledding when the is more players in the box then there are blockers in front. I think the field would open up so much more if there were more strech plays built in to make the the defense pursuit down the LOS instead of filling straight ahead gaps. This style fits into Murray's wheel house allowing him to wait for gaps in the defense as he swings outside or create cutback lanes when players over pursuit. Dunbar does bring a different type of style to the table with his ability to wiggle in tight spaces and shake defenders in the open field. He certainly has a role on the team as a change of pace but he also needs to be put in isolation situations to be effective.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:11 AM    (permalink
Gribble
Pro Bowler

Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The backup RB is so popular in Dallas. First MB3, then Felix, then DeMarco, now Dunbar.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:23 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know why people went so sour on Murray. One week he has a good game, and then the next he's past his prime and is Troy Hambrick according to some people on BTB. What the hell? The blocking was bad against KC, and he didn't have much room to do much. Murray is fine. I wish he'd try to run around some people at times instead of trying to run them over, but he's still really good at getting more yards than what the field gives him in a variety of ways. That's why I hate seeing that they didn't invest more in the OL. So many of the yards that Murray gets are because he has to fight tooth and nail just to get to the LOS.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:48 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
I don't know why people went so sour on Murray. One week he has a good game, and then the next he's past his prime and is Troy Hambrick according to some people on BTB. What the hell? The blocking was bad against KC, and he didn't have much room to do much. Murray is fine. I wish he'd try to run around some people at times instead of trying to run them over, but he's still really good at getting more yards than what the field gives him in a variety of ways. That's why I hate seeing that they didn't invest more in the OL. So many of the yards that Murray gets are because he has to fight tooth and nail just to get to the LOS.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:31 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Headed to big D. Anybody else going to the game? I'm going to be in nosebleed but around the 50 yard line :)

Old 09-21-2013, 04:34 PM    (permalink
BobTheCowboysTroll
Rookie

BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I hope he's the second coming of Darren Woodson.
From your lips to God's ears.
BobTheCowboysTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:35 PM    (permalink
BobTheCowboysTroll
Rookie

BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
High 4 star coming out of HS but not a play maker. Good ST player though. 5th rounder so not sure why you were so high on him ....
BobTheCowboysTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:07 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Cowboys D looking strong early.

Gee thanks Harris.... ***** ******!!!!!
Old 09-22-2013, 12:09 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Mo Mo showing up! This defense is sick. SACK!!!! CB Blitz!
Old 09-22-2013, 12:15 PM    (permalink
dsc1600
Veteran

dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What is this? A running game?
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:18 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Hey guys...biggest surprise ever, we threw it to Dez inside the red zone and scored a TD. Who would have thought that might work?

Quote:
Old 09-22-2013, 12:19 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Looking good. Looking good.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:20 PM    (permalink
dsc1600
Veteran

dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm pretty sure bubble screens are the way to go inside the 20. Must have been a fluke, haha
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:21 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

When did we sign Brian Bosworth? lol
Old 09-22-2013, 12:25 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

WARE MONSTERRRRRR!!!!!!!!

Is it wrong to put a guy in the Ring of Honor while he's still playing???
Old 09-22-2013, 12:26 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Ahhhh sorry pocketaces but this is the Sam Bradford I remember from College :) If we collapse the pocket on him he shinks, he never steps up and makes any throws in traffic, so we just have to not let up if we get up a few scores(like we always do).

Chris Givens is the key guy to watch on offense, we can't go to sleep because he'll break the game open. Everyone else we can hold in check I think especially since they can't run the ball.

Quote:
Old 09-22-2013, 12:27 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ware is such a beast. Just put Jake Long on his ass like it's nothing.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:28 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Helloooooo Murrayyyy!!!!!!