Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 09-24-2013, 07:10 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
First thing is I heard them talking about Selvie on the radio and a scout was talking about Selvie saying physically he could always do everything, and still can. He was out there thinking too much, not reacting, and was struggling with the mental part of the game. They think they are giving him less to think about now and just go play, Marinelli did something right.

Makes me want to go get more castoffs. Didn't Maybin get cut again? What about Sedric Ellis or Omobi Okoye? Not like I'd expect anything but we need to be bringing in as many bodies on the D-line as possible while Marinelli is still here. He won't be here forever but I'd love to get a few more guys to develop while he is.

As for Nevis, he's the type of guy I'm talking about. Top DT prospect in the 2011 draft, really we need the depth anyway, but lets get some guys who had a high ceiling and see what we can find. Ernie Sims is another castoff who looks good in this scheme and could fill in as needed.
Ellis signed with the Bears. Okoye is out there. But I love the dumpster diving play when you have a coach you have trust in actually finding something.

Before today, I actually had my eye on the other way around. Finding vets who still might have things in the tank. I was thinking similar to how Waters has helped us on the OL. There are guys like Richard Seymour, John Abraham, Sione Pouha, Casey Hampton, Albert Haynesworth, Ty Warren out there. Have no idea on the fit or their condition, but those were names I was brainstorming with.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:22 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also not to beat a dead horse, but isn't it fair to give the team a pass for passing on Floyd if Marinelli and Kiffin didn't pound the table for him? I feel like if they truly felt he was a guy we had to have it would have happened, and I think they have earned my trust in their judgement on this one. Regardless, whoever we bring in at DT now I want one in the 1st round next year, and whoever these guys opt to go after I'm perfectly fine with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:39 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Also not to beat a dead horse, but isn't it fair to give the team a pass for passing on Floyd if Marinelli and Kiffin didn't pound the table for him? I feel like if they truly felt he was a guy we had to have it would have happened, and I think they have earned my trust in their judgement on this one. Regardless, whoever we bring in at DT now I want one in the 1st round next year, and whoever these guys opt to go after I'm perfectly fine with.
Scott mocked us with Tim Jernigan from FSU. He's got the hype. I want to see the production.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:31 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Good point!

Think the floyd anger was mostly because he dropped so far..he was tangible and talked about all offseason by numerous "scouts, and draft gurus"...whereas FredBeard was a relative unknown from non-draftnicks.
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:11 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
Good point!

Think the floyd anger was mostly because he dropped so far..he was tangible and talked about all offseason by numerous "scouts, and draft gurus"...whereas FredBeard was a relative unknown from non-draftnicks.
The Floyd anger, on my part anyway, is that he was #5 on our draftboard and we passed at 18. The Giants have NO running game and the Rams have NO running game. The Chiefs do and when it mattered most we couldnt stop them in the 4th Q. If we stop the Iggles and Vikings run game then I will be impressed. I will admit the D-line has been great and you can only go by the results so far but lets not get carried away 3 games in. Our pass rush has been outstanding but Ive gotta wait and see how stout we are against the run against legit running teams.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:22 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Scott mocked us with Tim Jernigan from FSU. He's got the hype. I want to see the production.
Jernigan is sexy. Even if he doesn't fill the box score he's consistently wrecking havoc. Between Jernigan, Sutton, Johnson, Easley and Hageman we are going to have a choice of an excellent DT this draft.

Problem with evaluating 3-techs in college is unless the team has solid outside rush guys the QB is going to get away to the outside and you won't see the impact in the box score. Pretty much everyone I mentioned leaps off the tape in terms of wrecking havoc behind the lines but production is on and off.

Since I believe we will be targeting a DT early I've already started trolling the tape on these guys :)

Jernigan has the best hand usage of any DT in a while. He's also explosive. That's an insane combination that could lead to him generate more pressure than he should be able to. Notably raw as well. Give him to Marinelli and I think he could be incredible.

Sutton is Sutton. I love him and from what I gather the majority of us here do as well. He's a ball of energy and very quick off the snap. I want to see him become more stout as he doesn't have a power counter to his speed.

Johnson is interesting. He's a physical specimen without the production. He makes plays on pure athleticism. Scary but at the same time concerning. One to watch.

Easley is exactly like Johnson aside from IMHO I see a lower ceiling due to his struggles generating power. I also wonder if adding the 10-15 pounds needed for the pro game will affect his explosion.

Hageman is the dark horse of the group. He isn't the undersized explosion guy but his athleticism for his size is absolutely scary. Watched him a few times being that he's a Big Ten guy and he stands out when watching Minnesota's defense. Anytime a DT chases down a RB it gets my attention. He's 6-6 and best fit would be the "NT" in our scheme. Don't wave him off athletically though. He's a legit 4.8 40 guy and has an incredible 36" vert. Google him dunking (easy 360 dunk... by a DT). He's also strong boasting a 465 lb bench. Just like every single prospect on this list he's raw.

At this moment I'm pretty locked in on Jernigan/Sutton as my top 3 tech and Hageman for my top Kiffin NT.

As far as the Floyd line of thought I absolutely agree. Kiffin and Marinelli know their stuff and judging by the results thus far I'm willing to give them not only a pass but full confidence.

Last edited by Trogdor : 09-24-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:40 AM    (permalink
dsc1600
Veteran

dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
The Floyd anger, on my part anyway, is that he was #5 on our draftboard and we passed at 18. The Giants have NO running game and the Rams have NO running game. The Chiefs do and when it mattered most we couldnt stop them in the 4th Q. If we stop the Iggles and Vikings run game then I will be impressed. I will admit the D-line has been great and you can only go by the results so far but lets not get carried away 3 games in. Our pass rush has been outstanding but Ive gotta wait and see how stout we are against the run against legit running teams.
I actually liked our draft when it was done. I don't pretend to be a scout in any way, but relying on the grades most people gave our players, we got a good overall haul and seemed to really do well later in the draft, which is uncommon for us. My big issue with our draft was the compensation from the Niners on trading down 12 picks in the 1st round. Value wise, we got fleeced. Now, it doesn't matter as much if you pick good players, and it sounded like we may have used the 2nd rder we should have netted on Williams anyway.
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:10 AM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rowan Kavner ‏@KavnerDC 31m
One of DAL predraft visits last yr from Albion College. Cowboys have added CB Chris Greenwood from Det P-squad."

Guess he takes Spencers spot...

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 09-25-2013, 09:12 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm very interested in seeing what Selvie can do for you guys. I was a fan of his in the draft. I'm glad to see he's starting to put it together. As an every down player I have questions, but as a 3rd down rusher I think he has potential, I'd like to see him do well.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:11 AM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

More PFF

OFFENSE

– Of DeMarco Murray’s 175 rushing yards on Sunday, 148 of them came on runs to the left of center Travis Frederick.

– Murray is ranked the No. 2 running back in the league through three games. However, there’s a considerable gap between his 5.7 grade and Eagles running back LeSean McCoy’s 11.1 total. New Orleans’ Darren Sproles is third at 5.2.

– Murray’s grade in just the running game is 23rd best in the NFL, but his blocking grade and passing game grade are both among the league leaders.

– Murray is third in the league in yards after contact at 167, trailing only Minnesota’s Adrian Peterson (213) and Tampa Bay’s Doug Martin (170).

– Doug Free was the top-ranked offensive tackle for Week 3 and is the No. 1 tackle in the league through three weeks. PFF has Free graded as the No.1 run-blocking tackle in the NFL.

– Tony Romo had the highest QB rating for Week 3 at 137.2. He has the fifth-highest rating on the season at 103.9.

– Dez Bryant is ranked 18th among all receivers.

– Frederick had the second-highest grade of any center in Week 3.

– Against the Rams, Mackenzy Bernadeau graded out 13th among all guards, the highest of any Cowboy.

DEFENSE

– DeMarcus Ware is the third-highest graded defensive end. St. Louis’ Robert Quinn and Cincinnati’s Michael Johnson are the only two ahead of Ware.

– George Selvie is tied for fourth in the NFL with 11 QB hurries. Ware has 10.

– Sean Lee ranks 19th among middle linebackers and Bruce Carter is 21st among outside backers.

– Detroit’s Ndamukong Suh and Tennessee’s Jurrell Casey are the only defensive tackles with higher grades than Jason Hatcher.

– Barry Church is the highest graded safety in the league. His pass-coverage grade is the highest among NFL safeties. Church’s run-coverage grade is second only to Pittsburgh’s Troy Polamalu.

– Brandon Carr is the sixth-highest rated cornerback and Orlando Scandrick is seventh. Morris Claiborne is 88th.

– The longest pass play allowed into Scandrick’s coverage is 11 yards in 184 snaps, third-lowest in the league for a player taking at least 25 percent of his team’s snaps. There have been eight receptions made in Scandrick’s coverage area.

– J.J. Wilcox had the seventh-highest grade among safeties in Week 3, the rookie’s first game as a starter.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:25 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is Claiborne struggling?

Good to see Free doing well. I honestly couldn't understand his fall from grace, at one time the guy looked like a legit LT then could barely pass for a RT. It was so weird. Now it sounds like he's coming along at RT.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:49 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Is Claiborne struggling?

Good to see Free doing well. I honestly couldn't understand his fall from grace, at one time the guy looked like a legit LT then could barely pass for a RT. It was so weird. Now it sounds like he's coming along at RT.
Claiborne was/is playing injured for the first few weeks of the year and had some horrific scores. He's still playing with a messed up shoulder. He's hurt to the point where when he's tackling he's leaving that shoulder trailing to avoid hits. :/

Free got lazy. He always had the physical talent but after he got paid his technique got sloppy and he got torched. His technique is back and he's actually using his hands and natural girth to stone blockers. Night and day the difference proper form makes for an offensive lineman. He also played very well at RT originally the issue wasn't changing said it was the aforementioned downfall of technique.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:39 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Great news, at least in my opinion, Brian Waters has been taking all of the first team snaps and it seems at least unofficially that the changeover is occurring.

Miles is being held out and not dressing with his hamstring and the team is non-commital on his availability this weekend. Sounding like he'll be a scratch.

Harris has a hip pointer and is a "maybe" for the weekend.

Starting lineup with them out seems to be Dez and Williams on the outside with Cole Beasley taking all the slot snaps.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:30 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Great news, at least in my opinion, Brian Waters has been taking all of the first team snaps and it seems at least unofficially that the changeover is occurring.

Miles is being held out and not dressing with his hamstring and the team is non-commital on his availability this weekend. Sounding like he'll be a scratch.

Harris has a hip pointer and is a "maybe" for the weekend.

Starting lineup with them out seems to be Dez and Williams on the outside with Cole Beasley taking all the slot snaps.
Damn. Guess they'll really have to get Hanna and Escobar going since the receivers are banged up. Good thing all the tight ends and running backs are also good receivers as well.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:47 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Is Claiborne struggling?

I think this year will be rough for Mo. He(again) missed a majority of the off-season with small injuries and now has the dreaded dislocated shoulder that is guaranteed to pop in and out a few times this year. Just makes it awkward for him to really make plays on the ball naturally or to use that arm to dive out and deflect a pass. He's a natural in pass coverage though, great hips, people overreacted to this scheme change for him(I was one) because he's still playing a ton of press man.

I just think as soon as he gets into a groove again the shoulder will screw with him. But even with that, his coverage looks very tight and having Brandon Carr has made his transition twice as easy. He's not asked to do the same things a #1 CB has to even though he has all of the ability, so this year I think we see some glimpses of what he can be eventually, but I still think he's gonna be inconsistent in his coverage because I don't think he's playing with confidence yet after all the injuries.

As for Free, I need to see at least 8 games before I think he's changed, I don't know why it's so hard to believe because he did used to be good one day, but I saw how bad, or hurt he was last year, so I want to see him be consistent. Although his job against Chris Long was excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:54 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Hope Selvie is up to task. He's gonna be tested against the run more.... something that was Spencer's specialty.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:58 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Good read on Greenwood

In a move that speaks volumes about the focus of the front office, the Cowboys added CB Chris Greenwood from the Detroit Lions practice squad to the 53 man roster. Greenwood is a talented guy who's development has been slowed by injury since being drafted in the fifth round in 2012. At 6'1" tall and 193 lbs he has the size to match up with the bigger, physical receivers that are prevalent in the NFL now. Dallas had let talented smaller corners go earlier in the year as they waited to for players that fit the prototype they want for the Kiffin system to become available. Corners in a Kiffin defense have to be able to handle run support as well as the outside receivers. Chris Greenwood fits this bill.

Out of Division II Albion, Greenwood has been clocked in a 4.32 40, 16 reps @ 225lbs, 11'2" broad jump, 43" vertical jump, 4.15 20 yard shuttle and 6.99 three cone drill. The dude is big, quick, fast and strong. After injuring his abdomen he spent last year on the IR. He missed a nice chunk of camp this year with a hamstring injury and got caught in a numbers crunch as the Lions are in "win now" mode and the Cowboys secondary is the beneficiary.

This balances the roster with a more acceptable five cornerbacks, yet it will probably take time before Greenwood is worked into any rotation. Look for him to contribute on special teams as he learns the Dallas defensive system and possibly work into the rotation in a week or three. Kiffin has shown an incredible ability to teach his system quickly and Greenwood is not a "green" rookie. He knows how to approach the NFL job and has obviously been recommended by a Dallas scouting department that has been on a roll for a while now. He will have an excellent group of guys around him to learn from in all phases of the game.

http://www.cowboysnation.com/2013/09...and-later.html

Old 09-26-2013, 06:12 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Hope Selvie is up to task. He's gonna be tested against the run more.... something that was Spencer's specialty.
I'm not so worried about Selvie in this scheme, as long as he keeps contain, it is the back seven's responsibility to attack down hill and rally to the ball. I am concerned about the lack of depth that has developed at DE/DT. They are essentially pass rushing every play and wear out faster then a guy who is two gapping. Once the pass rush stops hitting home is when the bad things start to develop on the back end. Hopefully we have some success with the dumpster diving.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:27 AM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Remember also that Free played pretty well the last couple games of last year. Maybe he just needed 2 years under Callahan. Let's hope!

Weird situation though, what if he continues to play at a high level? He's what..26? With a year left on his contract, if you're the front office do you pay him again and wonder if he gets lazy again?
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:02 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Remember also that Free played pretty well the last couple games of last year. Maybe he just needed 2 years under Callahan. Let's hope!

Weird situation though, what if he continues to play at a high level? He's what..26? With a year left on his contract, if you're the front office do you pay him again and wonder if he gets lazy again?
I think you cover yourself by loading it with incentives. Given that Free accepted a pay cut I imagine he'll at least listen to an idea that allows him to make elite RT money if he plays like one but not if he regresses.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:33 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

great stuff on btb today

Quote:
Last November, I penned an article that looked at the stunningly high number of close games the Cowboys had played at that point in Jason Garrett's tenure. Last week, after the Chief's game, I returned to this theme, pointing out that, since November, they had continued to involve themselves in contests that were decided by a touchdown or less. Why is this important? The problem is that close games are highly subject to luck; in large sample sizes, all teams' winning percentages in such games, regardless of overall record, are roughly .500.

Skeptical, you say? Let's untangle this a bit. In that November post, I referenced the work of Michael Mauboussin, whose background is as an investment strategist. As such, he thinks deeply about all kind of ideas that are tangentially related to the investment world, and has written books exploring everything from psychological biases and how we think to the understanding of complex systems. It should be no surprise that he's really interested in unraveling the relationship between skill and luck in all its complexity; in a book titled The Success Equation: Untangling Skill and Luck in Business, Sports, and Investing, he does just that.

To do so, Mauboussin develops a spectrum with luck (roulette) and skill (chess) at opposite ends, and locates the various major American sports between these poles. The most skill-based sport, he argues, is NBA basketball, and the most random is NHL Hockey. The second "luckiest" sport is NFL football. Why? Mauboussin offers three reasons: the number of players and how often they are on the field (basketball players log far more minutes than hockey or football players, thus skill plays a larger part); sample size (there are so few games in a football season, and so many fewer possessions than in, say, basketball, that there are fewer opportunities to bleach out luck and randomness); the way the game is scored (a team can be very successful and have nothing on the scoreboard to register that success - or play very poorly but get a couple of lucky bounces and have a lead).

Because football is luckier than other sports with a lot of games (baseball) or many more possessions (basketball) or fewer players on the field, court, or rink, goofy plays - tipped passes, fumbles in heavy traffic, long touchdown passes wherein a defensive back slips after having solid coverage - have a greater effect on the final outcome. With this in mind, what distinguished a good team is not that it has "heart" and wins close games, but that it's good enough to create comfortable wins over a fair amount of opponents, thus limiting the number of games it can lose due to a bad bounce, questionable penalty or blocked field goal at the buzzer.

By extension, teams that play a lot of close games should expect their overall records to hover around the .500 mark - and this has been exactly the over-riding narrative in almost three years under Garrett. The first two games this season, both decided by fewer than seven points, brought the number of such "close games" in Garrett's coaching tenure to 29, out of a total of 42 contests - an almost 70% figure. Given that teams win such games at a .500 clip, they Cowboys are losing 35% of their games (that's five per season) by virtue of being in so few blowouts.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:12 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:

I let the market decide. Lately FA OL have been getting signed for really cheap or not at all. Free has done enough to scare teams from giving him a lot of money. Doubt anyone goes all out for him if we show that we're hesitant to do it ourselves.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:46 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Thoughts on this week's game? I'm not too worried.

Should I be?
Old 09-26-2013, 04:34 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Thoughts on this week's game? I'm not too worried.

Should I be?
Absolutely you should be. Barring Dallas breaking the trend we like to fall on our faces after putting it all together.

The last time we blew out the Rams (2011 with Murray breaking the record)? We followed it up getting HAMMERED by Philly (34-7). I honestly hope that Garrett has these guys grounded and that the execution in the Rams game has to be the standard and not an aberration.

The Chargers are a team we should be beating, just like 2011 Philly, and if we follow up our performance with the same execution as the Rams game we could be in for another blowout win. I have just as much faith that we are going to lay an egg and lose a heart-breaker.

I really hope we play well and lets us build going into the toughest game of the season against the Broncos.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:39 PM    (permalink
Gribble
Pro Bowler

Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I actually feel very confident with our front four going against a statue in Rivers and a battered O-line. San Diego feels like a "smoke and mirrors" team so far... what really scares you about them?