Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 11-05-2013, 01:59 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have a bad feeling that they are going to run it too much this game to quiet people from complaining about rushing more. Garrett has had that mentality of overdoing it in the past like that, and I am hoping that Callahan doesn't do the same damn thing by rushing Murray 40 times when that much isn't needed.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:04 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

*yawn*

So you are trying to tell me yardage is more important than splash plays. LOL. The Saints were a rudderless team last year and have improved in every single facet now that Payton is back. Are you saying that Rob's the only one to credit for the team's turnaround?

I get it. You love Rob. I did too when we hired him. Fact of the matter is he performed POORLY last year and the team has improved in the two facets it set out to improve. Turnovers and sacks i.e. splash plays.

Defensive drives ending with scoring: 38.9% (2012), 34.2% (2013). Interesting. Teams score on less drives this year compared to last year despite giving up more yards. Could this be a "bend but don't break" defense that actually delivers turnovers and sacks?

Once again just for the record I want a new DC next year but I am also FIRMLY saying that Kiffin is performing BETTER than Rob Ryan did last year. Please stop trying to use "Total Defense" as a metric. Yardage doesn't correlate to victory just ask the Buffalo Bills this week (450+ vs 150). Scoring drives matter. Turnover differentials matter. 3rd down rates matter (so long as you aren't letting them make it every time on 2nd). Yardage doesn't mean anything.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:08 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
I have a bad feeling that they are going to run it too much this game to quiet people from complaining about rushing more. Garrett has had that mentality of overdoing it in the past like that, and I am hoping that Callahan doesn't do the same damn thing by rushing Murray 40 times when that much isn't needed.
They might if the run is working... but if it isn't we usually panic and abandon it completely.

I have a feeling their pass defense is gonna ball out though. Michael Jenkins, Kenny Vaccaro, Roman Harper, Jabari Greer and Keenan Lewis (3 INTs so far) are going to give us a tough match up.

We can't afford to not be on the same page like we were against the Vikings.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:21 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
*yawn*

So you are trying to tell me yardage is more important than splash plays. LOL. The Saints were a rudderless team last year and have improved in every single facet now that Payton is back. Are you saying that Rob's the only one to credit for the team's turnaround?

I get it. You love Rob. I did too when we hired him. Fact of the matter is he performed POORLY last year and the team has improved in the two facets it set out to improve. Turnovers and sacks i.e. splash plays.

Defensive drives ending with scoring: 38.9% (2012), 34.2% (2013). Interesting. Teams score on less drives this year compared to last year despite giving up more yards. Could this be a "bend but don't break" defense that actually delivers turnovers and sacks?

Once again just for the record I want a new DC next year but I am also FIRMLY saying that Kiffin is performing BETTER than Rob Ryan did last year. Please stop trying to use "Total Defense" as a metric. Yardage doesn't correlate to victory just ask the Buffalo Bills this week (450+ vs 150). Scoring drives matter. Turnover differentials matter. 3rd down rates matter (so long as you aren't letting them make it every time on 2nd). Yardage doesn't mean anything.
I don't think you can yawn on a defensive turn around from 32nd to 5th even if it was yardage. Points/Game is also drastically improved from 28.5 ppg to only allowing 18.3 ppg. Improvement is never one man's owning, but Rob is doing a fantastic job there. Turnover differentials also improved in NOR. They are tied for 4th in the league this year. Who would've guess by judging us last year that any defense he ran would be 4th in the NFL in TO differential??? Maybe it's not just his scheme but our main TO machine, Sean Lee being hurt?

The thing about Rob is that he puts his players in position to succeed. His defense is not a Bend but don't break defense. It's a heavy blitz, man cover scheme. When our guys started dropping like flies and our blitzes were not getting home, then he realized that he needed to change and that's when we became a bend but don't break style. To Monte's credit, I have also noticed us playing more man in our coverage and that paid off. Philly game was fantastic.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:52 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Hopefully we see some of THIS!

Old 11-05-2013, 03:08 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
They might if the run is working... but if it isn't we usually panic and abandon it completely.

I have a feeling their pass defense is gonna ball out though. Michael Jenkins, Kenny Vaccaro, Roman Harper, Jabari Greer and Keenan Lewis (3 INTs so far) are going to give us a tough match up.

We can't afford to not be on the same page like we were against the Vikings.
If they're really killing it in the running game I wouldn't mind, but I keep thinking that they will run too much as a way to keep people from complaining about them not running. They are so damn quick to abandon it when they have no idea how good it will work. It's one reason why their 4 minute offense sucks, and that leads to them losing a lot of close games. When it's time to close out a game you have to get that running game going, but if it's been abandoned then they're going in cold and ineffective because of that.

Basically I really want them to run correctly. A lot of good run blocking is about getting into a rhythm, but the linemen are pass blocking so often that they aren't getting that.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:13 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Hopefully we see some of THIS!

And THIS!!!
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:29 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
If they're really killing it in the running game I wouldn't mind, but I keep thinking that they will run too much as a way to keep people from complaining about them not running. They are so damn quick to abandon it when they have no idea how good it will work. It's one reason why their 4 minute offense sucks, and that leads to them losing a lot of close games. When it's time to close out a game you have to get that running game going, but if it's been abandoned then they're going in cold and ineffective because of that.

Basically I really want them to run correctly. A lot of good run blocking is about getting into a rhythm, but the linemen are pass blocking so often that they aren't getting that.
That's true. I also think our run designs are so vanilla. What they have to figure out is how to call a run when the defense is thinking pass. We normally run when the call is so predictable and the defense stacks the box. Hopefully instead of just forcing a run in that situation, if we see the safety creep up, then we use our weapons to attack deep.

I really don't know the right answer... our offense hasn't really jelled right. We see flashes, but not enough consistency. I'm not fine with blaming the OL because I think a smart coach can adjust to that. Just look at the Giants. Saw this article in their forum. Maybe the dink and dunk could work to open up our offense and keep Tony clean too.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...direction.html

Quote:
"They really changed the whole design of the offense," Baldinger said. "I was thinking [offensive coordinator Kevin] Gilbride can't keep running the same offense he was running and winning Super Bowls with. They were just trying to take deep shots and Eli [Manning] was getting killed. They weren't healthy enough up front to give him any time to do it.

"I was wondering how long it was gong to take until they changed. Last week, I don't think they took one deep shot down field. It was dink, dunk, and check-down — Eli getting the ball out of his hand quicker."

The Giants called more three-step drops for Manning. It led to him getting the ball out of his hands quicker and asking for less time from a makeshift offensive line missing 40 percent of their projected preseason starters. Guard Chris Snee and center David Baas are out for the season.

By the time Manning completed his drop, there were pass rushers in his face. The receivers, meanwhile, hadn't yet come out of their breaks.

It left Manning in an almost impossible spot. He had defenders on his back and receivers not yet ready to receive a pass. It led to a seven-sack afternoon.

"If we get the run game where we want it to be -- I don’t even know if we’re averaging 70 yards per game -- if we get that to 100 or 120 [yards per game] and have that short-passing game, it opens up what we have been good at — play action and bombs down the field," Cordle said. "We can really be effective and be a complete offense if we do that."

Old 11-06-2013, 12:56 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Very interesting article.
Dallas Cowboys Need to Keep Throwing to Win NFC East

Read more here: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...#storylink=cpy
Old 11-06-2013, 01:04 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Very interesting.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:22 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas View Post
Very interesting article.
Dallas Cowboys Need to Keep Throwing to Win NFC East

Read more here: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...#storylink=cpy
Thanks for the share. A lot of interesting points that make sense. But I agree. We need to run better, run more, but not necessarily a lot more.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:16 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

[quote]
Quote:
RVING — Dallas Cowboys defensive tackle Jason Hatcher, who leads the team with seven sacks and has been the only constant on the defensive line all season, isn’t sure he’ll be ready to play Sunday night at New Orleans.

Hatcher suffered what he called “a bad stinger” in the fourth quarter of Sunday’s win over Minnesota at AT&T Stadium. Hatcher has had other stingers this season but never one this bad. Before, Hatcher said he’d regain full use of his arm in about 15 minutes.

With this one, he’s lost all strength in his left arm. Though Hatcher said it’s improved since Sunday, Hatcher still can’t raise his left arm above shoulder level. He tried to do so in the locker room Wednesday and his arm began shaking a lot once he reached shoulder level.
http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/20...nclick_check=1

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:51 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

[quote=pocketaces;3490909]Feel terrible for him and us. :(

We seriously can't catch a break.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:59 AM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Saints aren't as good as we think they are.

Cowboys win by 10.
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:31 PM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy!
Saints aren't as good as we think they are.

Cowboys win by 10.
I'm now making my selections based on Garrett's record against teams at or below .500. So I think the Saints beat us but for a miracle game from Romo that doesn't end like Denver.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:30 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

I'm prepping for a Saints loss, but let's be honest about something here. It isn't surprising if this team beats anyone. It also isn't surprising if this team loses to anyone. It's going to be another exciting Sunday. Here's to hoping that they don't incite me to do any killing sprees.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:38 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I'm prepping for a Saints loss, but let's be honest about something here. It isn't surprising if this team beats anyone. It also isn't surprising if this team loses to anyone. It's going to be another exciting Sunday. Here's to hoping that they don't incite me to do any killing sprees.
It's gonna be real tough to beat this team, but if we get the ball to Dez and Murray runs his heart out, we have a chance.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:52 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It's gonna be real tough to beat this team, but if we get the ball to Dez and Murray runs his heart out, we have a chance.
Meh. The Broncos team we faced is 10x better than this Saints team. I'm with E-Man. I wouldn't be shocked with Dallas winning or losing.

That being said if I am betting I'd take the Saints straight up but Dallas with the current spread (6.5).
Old 11-07-2013, 08:55 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
All 4 times?

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:39 AM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Quote:
Yes, that and a consistent pass rush rush on Brees and we got a shot.
Hopefully Ware, Selvie and the rest are ready to bring it.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:34 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Meh. The Broncos team we faced is 10x better than this Saints team. I'm with E-Man. I wouldn't be shocked with Dallas winning or losing.

That being said if I am betting I'd take the Saints straight up but Dallas with the current spread (6.5).
Do we beat them if we play the same way we played against the Vikings? ...with a sketchy passing game and not running the ball?
Old 11-08-2013, 01:33 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas View Post
Yes, that and a consistent pass rush rush on Brees and we got a shot.
Hopefully Ware, Selvie and the rest are ready to bring it.
I hope that they learn their lesson from the Denver game so that the Rushmen could get to Brees. Giving the Saints room to run would have Brees getting the ball off too fast before Ware or Selvie could get to him. More press man rather than soft zones is what I'm hoping for.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:13 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

I wonder if we'll force a punt? Usually it's a turnover or score with our D.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:18 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Do we beat them if we play the same way we played against the Vikings? ...with a sketchy passing game and not running the ball?
Nah. We do our normal thing in that we play to our competition. The Broncos were playing like world-beaters so we upped the ante and gave them a hell of a game.

The Vikings were terrible so we tried to "out-terrible" them and squeak it out.

We probably won't run the ball because it's boring and doesn't display Garrett/Callahan's brilliance. That being said I wouldn't be shocked if Romo had another 400 yard game.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:43 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can't believe the Saints are 7 point favorites in this game. Who knows how this one will end..be interesting to see what defense shows up.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote