Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-30-2014, 09:21 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
I like the fact that JJ gave into Garrett and let him hire HIS playcaller. I dont like that he waited until the last year of his contract to do it. If the offense is successful and we go 8-8 again it wont really matter will it? Garrett didnt fire Ryan and Garrett didnt volunteer to give up play calling or want Callahan to do it. To little to late? We'll see.
So just be happy with that...at this point you can't change Jerry or JG....we all know you want Jerry to hire a new coach that will tell jerry to sit down and ****...

Cool....sure...we all do...but for another year at least we have JG...and the band of merry men HE"S assembled...Even against what to be Jerry's wishes. That's about as non "yes-man" as you can get...right?

It's all on JG at this point...there's no blaming Jerry for the upcoming season...just enjoy the ride...let JG make his mistakes and call him on that...give him kudos when he doesn't...but as far as Jerry..and the 2014-15 season. It looks like he's given it the full "JG's got this" mantra.

Just let it go man...Jerry's a cancer...we get it...either let it rot the team to the core or hope it cures and goes away by itself...either way we're not in control.

You're just RIDICULOUS with your harping man...at least mix in some things you DO like about the Cowboys moves, unless there's nothing.

Last edited by FreshBoy! : 01-30-2014 at 09:23 PM.
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:06 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
So just be happy with that...at this point you can't change Jerry or JG....we all know you want Jerry to hire a new coach that will tell jerry to sit down and ****...

Cool....sure...we all do...but for another year at least we have JG...and the band of merry men HE"S assembled...Even against what to be Jerry's wishes. That's about as non "yes-man" as you can get...right?

It's all on JG at this point...there's no blaming Jerry for the upcoming season...just enjoy the ride...let JG make his mistakes and call him on that...give him kudos when he doesn't...but as far as Jerry..and the 2014-15 season. It looks like he's given it the full "JG's got this" mantra.

Just let it go man...Jerry's a cancer...we get it...either let it rot the team to the core or hope it cures and goes away by itself...either way we're not in control.

You're just RIDICULOUS with your harping man...at least mix in some things you DO like about the Cowboys moves, unless there's nothing.
Guess you missed the first 2 words of the post you quoted?

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:23 AM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Do you guys think that there will be any surprise cuts this offseason? The cap is a little tight, so there is speculation that guys like Austin will be cut. What I'm asking if you think there will be someone that gets cut that we don't see coming like Brandon Carr or Barry Church. Any names that you guys can think of? I bring up Carr because Scandrick outplayed him last year, he has a huge contract that may be easier to cut now, and Mo is still too young to give up on. Not saying that it will happen, but I can see the logic a bit.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:52 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
Do you guys think that there will be any surprise cuts this offseason? The cap is a little tight, so there is speculation that guys like Austin will be cut. What I'm asking if you think there will be someone that gets cut that we don't see coming like Brandon Carr or Barry Church. Any names that you guys can think of? I bring up Carr because Scandrick outplayed him last year, he has a huge contract that may be easier to cut now, and Mo is still too young to give up on. Not saying that it will happen, but I can see the logic a bit.
http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=Cowboys

For Carr you'd have to June 1st cut him for ANY savings. And doing that would take a bunch of cap off next year. Not really a viable option. I think with Marinelli as the DC he'll put Carr and Claiborne back into press coverage where they belong and you'll see a HUGE improvement.

Carr and Claiborne are not built for off-man/zone.

The "shockers" for me would be the ones that provide immense financial relief.

DeMarcus Ware would be infuriatingly shocking but if the team wants a clean slate moving forward it may end up happening if they don't trust him to recover. I would seethe and probably threaten to stop watching Dallas games but I'd understand it in the back of my mind as well. I put this as a 1% chance of happening and HIGHLY doubt they even consider it.

I would be surprised if Miles Austin isn't June 1st Cut (or takes a pay-cut).

If we draft a QB and LOVE him then Orton may be on the chopping block but I doubt it.

Bernie Mac, Jeremy Parnell, Phil Costa, may allbe on the chopping block.

Justin Durant will probably find himself unemployed too. With Wilberforce and Holloman outplaying him I think he's as good as gone.

Dallas Cowboys GM -Forum Mock
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:13 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=Cowboys

For Carr you'd have to June 1st cut him for ANY savings. And doing that would take a bunch of cap off next year. Not really a viable option. I think with Marinelli as the DC he'll put Carr and Claiborne back into press coverage where they belong and you'll see a HUGE improvement.

Carr and Claiborne are not built for off-man/zone.

The "shockers" for me would be the ones that provide immense financial relief.

DeMarcus Ware would be infuriatingly shocking but if the team wants a clean slate moving forward it may end up happening if they don't trust him to recover. I would seethe and probably threaten to stop watching Dallas games but I'd understand it in the back of my mind as well. I put this as a 1% chance of happening and HIGHLY doubt they even consider it.

I would be surprised if Miles Austin isn't June 1st Cut (or takes a pay-cut).

If we draft a QB and LOVE him then Orton may be on the chopping block but I doubt it.

Bernie Mac, Jeremy Parnell, Phil Costa, may allbe on the chopping block.

Justin Durant will probably find himself unemployed too. With Wilberforce and Holloman outplaying him I think he's as good as gone.
If we draft a OT in the first two rounds I wouldn't be surprised to see Parnell stay and Doug Free get the axe
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:40 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
If we draft a OT in the first two rounds I wouldn't be surprised to see Parnell stay and Doug Free get the axe
Very true. Completely passed over him. He could definitely be a Post-June 1st type of cut. His 11+ mil cap hit next year is stupid. I imagine we'll be talking to him about another pay cut too.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:58 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was hoping by now Parnell would be ready to take over as starting RT. I think I would prefer that over spending a high pick on an OT. Hard to know as a fan. If I was coaching him everyday I would have a better idea.

Cowboys need to hit on the first 3 rounds for us to bounce back.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:36 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dan Quinn is my number choice now to replace Garrett. He had those guys ballin their asses off tonight.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:36 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
Dan Quinn is my number choice now to replace Garrett. He had those guys ballin their asses off tonight.
Garrett doesn't have the personality to ever handle coaching a team like Seattle. Way too much attitude and edginess, he likes company men that just put their hat on and go to work everyday.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:35 AM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
Garrett doesn't have the personality to ever handle coaching a team like Seattle. Way too much attitude and edginess, he likes company men that just put their hat on and go to work everyday.
Yep. Seattle just knows that they're going to beat you, and they played like that all season. Garrett's teams stop and wonder if them winning is going to last. Well all besides Dez. Dez is going to do what he has to do to make plays to win. I want a coach that's going to harness that energy to rub off on the rest of the team.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:22 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seattle is the anti Cowboys. No star QB, average WRs and TEs, but a good running back and a dominating Defense. They average 26 years old too so they will be around for a long time.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 02-03-2014, 01:33 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Keep in mind in the salary cap era hitting on a draft QB means you have a HUGE advantage until his first contract.

Seattle can afford to upgrade a bunch of spots on the roster because they are paying Wilson peanuts. Same deal with the Niners.

Ravens are a great example. Big playoff run -> pay Flacco big money to stay -> out of the playoffs. The effect of having a rookie contract QB playing at a high is immense and across the board.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:01 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Keep in mind in the salary cap era hitting on a draft QB means you have a HUGE advantage until his first contract.

Seattle can afford to upgrade a bunch of spots on the roster because they are paying Wilson peanuts. Same deal with the Niners.

Ravens are a great example. Big playoff run -> pay Flacco big money to stay -> out of the playoffs. The effect of having a rookie contract QB playing at a high is immense and across the board.
Thats just an excuse. Seattle's upgrades have come through the draft. In fact of their 11 starters on D, 8 were drafted in the 4th round or later. Its not like they have been signing a bunch of high priced FA's with the money they have saved.

Those teams you mentioned are SB winners and/or contenders. JJ manages his roster like we belong in that group which isnt close to being true. Also all 3 of those teams have/had dominating Defenses while we are drafting TEs, RBs, and WRs. NE and Denver are paying big money to their QBs and are competing for the SB as well.

Baltimore didnt make the playoffs because they lost guys like Ray, Reed, and Boldin. Not because Flacco got paid.

Last edited by pocketaces : 02-03-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:06 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Edit. Double post

Old 02-03-2014, 02:14 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Thats just an excuse. Seattle's upgrades have come through the draft. In fact of their 11 starters on D, 8 were drafted in the 4th round or later. Its not like they have been signing a bunch of high priced FA's with the money they have saved.

Those teams you mentioned are SB winners and/or contenders. JJ manages his roster like we belong in that group which isnt close to being true. Also all 3 of those teams have/had dominating Defenses while we are drafting TEs, RBs, and WRs. NE and Denver are paying big money to their QBs and are competing for the SB as well.

Baltimore didnt make the playoffs because they lost guys like Ray, Reed, and Boldin. Not because Flacco got paid.
You are not this thick. Why didn't they resign Boldin? Cap. Why didn't they pay Reed? Cap. Why didn't they replace Ray in FA? Cap.

Seattle's hit rate on draft picks isn't any higher than the rest of the NFL. When you go from paying someone peanuts to 20 million per you have to make sacrifices. They have multiple underpaid guys that defense (Avril and Bennett especially) that catapulted them forward.

[Edit: Deleted last unnecessary line...]

Last edited by Trogdor : 02-03-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:31 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
You are not this thick. Why didn't they resign Boldin? Cap. Why didn't they pay Reed? Cap. Why didn't they replace Ray in FA? Cap.

Seattle's hit rate on draft picks isn't any higher than the rest of the NFL. When you go from paying someone peanuts to 20 million per you have to make sacrifices. They have multiple underpaid guys that defense (Avril and Bennett especially) that catapulted them forward.

The rest of your post is why I keep you on ignore beside Bob. *shrugs*
Funny. Ray retired, Reed was over the hill, Boldin wasnt worth what he was being paid in their eyes. Those guys were paid many times over in their prime and if they were still in their prime they would still be there. We could have had Avril and chose Spencer for more money. I know you like to make stuff up, and hate getting called out, so please keep me on ignore. Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, all make your argument silly. Some franchise are able to build a SB roster with and without high dollar QBs. Our "GM" cant but continues to pay his players like they are. *shrugs*

Old 02-03-2014, 02:56 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Seattle did a great job in the draft. No question! I think the point Trog is trying to make is that their sustainability isn't as great as you think it is. It will be if they continue to draft well AND let star players who are about to be paid let go (which is hard to see). So they will take a hit once they have to dish out big pay days. Richard Sherman was paid $600K, Wilson got $680K. Wilson isn't a star based on the peanuts he earns, but he will be paid like a star in his next contract. So right now, while they are getting by on drafting well, they are also taking advantage of being able to get by on paying cheap at critical spots and investing at other positions. ...and let's not pretend to believe they didn't invest in stars at WR. Their highest paid player is Sidney Rice at a whopping $9.7M this season. ...and they traded for Harvin who left Minny because Minny was afraid of paying him big dollars as he enters FA. So let's be real here.

I love what they did and how they did it, but they will face the reality of keeping their stars and the restrictions that it creates on their cap space.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:15 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Funny. Ray retired, Reed was over the hill, Boldin wasnt worth what he was being paid in their eyes. Those guys were paid many times over in their prime and if they were still in their prime they would still be there. We could have had Avril and chose Spencer for more money. I know you like to make stuff up, and hate getting called out, so please keep me on ignore. Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, all make your argument silly. Some franchise are able to build a SB roster with and without high dollar QBs. Our "GM" cant but continues to pay his players like they are. *shrugs*
I have been a big time Spencer hater throughout his time here and he finally sold me last season. Franchising him was a good idea. But haven't you been one of Spencer's advocates the whole time??? Now you choose to act like you knew better? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I never took you to be a Spencer hater until now.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:27 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Seattle did a great job in the draft. No question! I think the point Trog is trying to make is that their sustainability isn't as great as you think it is. It will be if they continue to draft well AND let star players who are about to be paid let go (which is hard to see). So they will take a hit once they have to dish out big pay days. Richard Sherman was paid $600K, Wilson got $680K. Wilson isn't a star based on the peanuts he earns, but he will be paid like a star in his next contract. So right now, while they are getting by on drafting well, they are also taking advantage of being able to get by on paying cheap at critical spots and investing at other positions. ...and let's not pretend to believe they didn't invest in stars at WR. Their highest paid player is Sidney Rice at a whopping $9.7M this season. ...and they traded for Harvin who left Minny because Minny was afraid of paying him big dollars as he enters FA. So let's be real here.

I love what they did and how they did it, but they will face the reality of keeping their stars and the restrictions that it creates on their cap space.
We have a $100 million dollar QB. Who do you think JJ will let walk for cap reasons that he wants to keep? Lee, Scandrick, Church, Smith, Dez, Fredrick, Mo, DeMarco, all have been, or will be extended when their contract is up if JJ wants them here. Did I miss anybody? Im just talking young building block players that are producing and are on the upswing. Guys like Ware might get cut but thats because hes now on the downside of his career much like Reed was in Balt. Good point on Rice and Harvin but those guys were non factors all year which is even more impressive about Seattle IMO.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:31 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I have been a big time Spencer hater throughout his time here and he finally sold me last season. Franchising him was a good idea. But haven't you been one of Spencer's advocates the whole time??? Now you choose to act like you knew better? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I never took you to be a Spencer hater until now.
Ive never hated Spencer. Franchising him was a good idea, I dont think anybody wanted to sign him long term though. Im not saying I knew better, he brought Avril up and I was just pointing out we could have signed him and saved money. Thats the job of the GM to weigh it out.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:49 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Ive never hated Spencer. Franchising him was a good idea, I dont think anybody wanted to sign him long term though. Im not saying I knew better, he brought Avril up and I was just pointing out we could have signed him and saved money. Thats the job of the GM to weigh it out.
Alright then. Just making sure that you supported Jerry's franchising of Spencer. Odd that you'd call him out on it now, when you yourself loved the player and loved the signing. But I guess playing the hindsight 20/20 game "aka I didn't know any better, but he should've known better" is fun.

So as a Spencer hater who became fine with the Franchise tag, I am going to give praise to Jerry since I think he deserves it in this case. Had we worked out a long term contract with Spencer the last 2 offseasons, I think we would have gotten ourselves into even more cap purgatory with the way Spencer is right now. Players hate the franchise tag because they want the long term security. But Jerry and the gang protected our team by tagging him and now we are prevented from the very mistake which we intended to avoid. So big props and foresight there!

Yes, it hurt us last season but I'd rather 1 year of hurt than years of hurt.

Going forward, it is my opinion that we need to draft a RB because I want to avoid giving Demarco a big pay day. I think smart teams make moves like this, but clearly from the debates in the past you want to keep Demarco and pay him. Seems to me that there's a "Jerry" in you too. ;)
Old 02-03-2014, 03:56 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Alright then. Just making sure that you supported Jerry's franchising of Spencer. Odd that you'd call him out on it now, when you yourself loved the player and loved the signing. But I guess playing the hindsight 20/20 game "aka I didn't know any better, but he should've known better" is fun.

So as a Spencer hater who became fine with the Franchise tag, I am going to give praise to Jerry since I think he deserves it in this case. Had we worked out a long term contract with Spencer the last 2 offseasons, I think we would have gotten ourselves into even more cap purgatory with the way Spencer is right now. Players hate the franchise tag because they want the long term security. But Jerry and the gang protected our team by tagging him and now we are prevented from the very mistake which we intended to avoid. So big props and foresight there!

Yes, it hurt us last season but I'd rather 1 year of hurt than years of hurt.

Going forward, it is my opinion that we need to draft a RB because I want to avoid giving Demarco a big pay day. I think smart teams make moves like this, but clearly from the debates in the past you want to keep Demarco and pay him. Seems to me that there's a "Jerry" in you too. ;)
I agree. He got that one right. Pretty sure when we talked DeMarco, I said I love the player (as did you) but I wouldnt break the bank for him and his age is a concern. So, I guess if thats what you got out of it, then...*shrugs*?

Old 02-03-2014, 04:08 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I agree. He got that one right. Pretty sure when we talked DeMarco, I said I love the player (as did you) but I wouldnt break the bank for him and his age is a concern. So, I guess if thats what you got out of it, then...*shrugs*?
Would you be upset if we spent a 4th round pick on RB?
Old 02-03-2014, 04:12 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Would you be upset if we spent a 4th round pick on RB?
Yes. If we dont resign DeMarco then we can draft one next year. IMO we have to many needs to spend another pick on another backup RB. You didnt answer my cap question either? JJ going to let anybody go that he wants on his team?

Old 02-03-2014, 05:26 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Yes. If we dont resign DeMarco then we can draft one next year. IMO we have to many needs to spend another pick on another backup RB. You didnt answer my cap question either? JJ going to let anybody go that he wants on his team?
...and what will you say if Murray misses 2-4 games next season just like he has the last 2 years and we miss the playoffs by 1 game again?

Missing him HAS made a negative impact which cannot be ignored. Are you ok with that risk for another season?

I think a healthy Murray or a RB committee that doesn't lose steam in case of injury to one starter would've put us in a situation where Week 17 WASN'T win or go home. Dunbar and Randle are nice complimentary backs but neither are workhorse backs.

3 straight 8-8 seasons make me want to be SURE that our running game is sound. When you throw in the fact that Murray will be a FA, my mind is starting to think open thoughts... Future replacement?... Trade him now??? Other???

I am a fan of Murray and I would like to bring him back for cheap, but how can we expect big things of him AND expect him to come cheap? Those 2 things go against each other.

Drafting one next year is no certainty to work. How is Trent Richardson looking right now?

The only way I think it works is if Murray can be effective in a time share NOW. If nothing changes and Murray goes for over a thousand yards and a Pro Bowl appearance again, then I think he's seeing big money signs for sure...If not us, then someone else. If we keep him, we're going to end up overpaying for the RB position.

But if Murray goes for 650-700 yards and no Pro Bowl, stays healthy all year in a time share... I think we win all around! Win in keeping him healthy. Win in having a backup in case he goes down. Win being able to keep his value down, production steady AND hopefully that means we have more W's in the Win column (because we don't look like a different team w/out him). Not to mention keeping his stats down make him more affordable to keep.

But this only happens if we draft another workhorse back. I'm not talking about scatbacks or 3rd down backs. I'm talking about guys who are tough enough to replace Murray as a full time back. Tre Mason... Andre Williams... off the top of my head.

I think if we do this now, then we have leverage at the negotiating table when it comes to sit down time with Murray and his new deal. Without it, Murray comes to the table with ALL the ammo. You tell me which one is better for helping us manage our cap space.