Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-24-2007, 10:40 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ888
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit
So somebody tell me something good about Garrett, so that I can get this frown off my face. :x

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2741032
Jason Garrett helped win us the game against the Green Bay Packers on Thanksgiving Day 1994 when Troy Aikman was hurt. Later that year, he helped Aikman against the Packers by pointing out little idiosyncracies in the defense...
One of my favorite Cowboys memories of all time. The good ol' days of Alvin Harper and Michael Irvin, man what a tandem.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:41 PM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

CTCowboysFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Well I will say he must have had an impressive interview for him to get at least offensive coordinator.

He attended Princeton and was told by many when he was still a player that he'd make a great coach. Jerry Jones even told him that he would make a great coach back when he played for the Cowboys.

Sean Payton was another who thought highly of him when he played for the Giants. Garrett doesn't have very much experience coaching which proves what I thought, or what was reported wrong. The Cowboys obviously aren't necessarily looking for someone with head coaching experience in the NFL.

When Troy Aikman was on the ticket he also said Jason Garrett was a guy who would be a good coach for the Cowboys.

Garrett is 40 years old which is relatively young for a head coach and could be the next great undiscovered coach. But that remains to be seen. He hasn't had this kind of pressure before so it will be interesting to see how he handles it.

I think if Garrett is paired up with a good defensive coordinator he could do very well.

It will be interesting to see how he runs the offense, hopefully his youth and imagination as a coach will provide this offense with a spark, unlike Parcells' productive yet vanilla offense.

Only time will tell now what capacity Jason Garrett will be hired as, but one thing is for sure, he is hired.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:43 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I notice that Scott has us down for talking to Lorenzo Booker...I name that has been brought up a few times. I really like him...but don't know how much of an upgrade of Thompson he would be so i'm skeptical. But this got me thinking...everyone reporting on the senior bowl doesn't have very much information from the dallas scouts. This makes sense to a certain point...but what cheers me up is that Norv Turner and Mike Singletar and Wade Phillips are all down there....I'm praying for Norv/Singletary. I would garuntee a successful draft.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:44 PM    (permalink
Ace
Veteran

Ace needs more cowbell.

I really hope you didn't hire him as your HC. That would be a moronic thing to do.

But if you hire him as OC, then that should be a decent hire for you. Garrett is a really smart guy(i'm sure you knew that already) and I think he has a bright futue ahead of him. I wanted Cam to hire him as OC, but I guess he thought he wasn't ready fo that just yet.

Good luck with Garrett and us Dolphins fans will miss him.
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:46 PM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Norv/Singletary. I would garuntee a successful draft.
I would be in shock, I would be so darn happy :D !!!! Especially if the Cowboys could have Jason Garrett on the staff along with Turner and Singletary. There is no way we could f- up the draft.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:47 PM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace
I really hope you didn't hire him as your HC. That would be a moronic thing to do.

But if you hire him as OC, then that should be a decent hire for you. Garrett is a really smart guy(i'm sure you knew that already) and I think he has a bright futue ahead of him. I wanted Cam to hire him as OC, but I guess he thought he wasn't ready fo that just yet.

How do you know Cam wasn't intending to hire him as OC?..maybe Garrett wasn't interested. I am seriously not sure, that's why I am asking.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:52 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCowboysFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace

How do you know Cam wasn't intending to hire him as OC?..maybe Garrett wasn't interested. I am seriously not sure, that's why I am asking.
Using basic logic I would think that the early deadline was put in place to make dallas make a quick decision...from that reasoning I would think its clear that Miami wanted him around...yet felt it wasn't a need at that time.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 01-24-2007, 10:53 PM    (permalink
Ace
Veteran

Ace needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace

I don't know that for sure. That why I said I guess Cam thought he wasn't ready or maybe he has someone else in mind.

I don't know too much about the schemes and stuff about Garrett because granted he has only coached for 2 years, but Harrington did say last year at camp that Garrett is really good at breaking things down and he helped designed many options to help the QB if he was in trouble.
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:00 PM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace

Using basic logic I would think that the early deadline was put in place to make dallas make a quick decision...from that reasoning I would think its clear that Miami wanted him around...yet felt it wasn't a need at that time.
I know! The reason the question was asked was to imply that Cam did want Garrett as OC but hadn't made the move yet. I am not trying to say Cam wasn't going to sign him. You misunderstood me yet again, but that's okay thule just keep responding to my posts with those same intentions.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:06 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace

I know! The reason the question was asked was to imply that Cam did want Garrett as OC but hadn't made the move yet. I am not trying to say Cam wasn't going to sign him. You misunderstood me yet again, but that's okay thule just keep responding to my posts with those same intentions.
My comment was directed at both of you. Just breaking down the information from what we knew. Noone on this forum knows the true answer which is why we are forced to use deductive reasoning. I just broke it down for you two.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 01-24-2007, 11:11 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, it's good to see we have our OC. Behind Singletary, I want Bowles for DC. I'm liking him more and more.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:34 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I notice that Scott has us down for talking to Lorenzo Booker...I name that has been brought up a few times. I really like him...but don't know how much of an upgrade of Thompson he would be so i'm skeptical. But this got me thinking...everyone reporting on the senior bowl doesn't have very much information from the dallas scouts. This makes sense to a certain point...but what cheers me up is that Norv Turner and Mike Singletar and Wade Phillips are all down there....I'm praying for Norv/Singletary. I would garuntee a successful draft.
OH LORD, I HOPE NOT! I hate Booker. He's way too skinny and falls down if a defender even breaths on him. Goes down way too easy. Can't hit the hole hard. Definately not an inside runner and doesn't have enough speed to cut around the corner in the NFL... He's gonna be an all time bust.

...he's a good receiver out of the backfield, but lacks moves. If we take him, it better not be any sooner than the 6th round.

Makes me question, who the hell is out there representing the team... (kwhy again??? hee hee...)
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:10 AM    (permalink
DancingMonkey
Rookie

DancingMonkey hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Singletary's lack of experience is definitely a worry for me, but just like everyone else here that listened to him miked up at the Senior Bowl practices I came away highly impressed with his teaching ability. If he's not ready now, he's definitely going to be soon.

I'm torn on the Garrett hiring - he's only coached two years, but at the same time you have to think that his career was spent mostly as a back-up QB and almost as a "Player-Coach" with how he seemed to be utilized. Meh, still torn.

I don't remember where I read the comments, but the talk was about how hard it is to put together a "Super Bowl" Coaching staff in February is, and I'm starting to realize that now.

I still have this gut feeling of anticipation, and that everything is going to work out though. Call me crazy.. ;)
DancingMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:20 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Quote:
OH LORD, I HOPE NOT! I hate Booker. He's way too skinny and falls down if a defender even breaths on him. Goes down way too easy. Can't hit the hole hard. Definately not an inside runner and doesn't have enough speed to cut around the corner in the NFL... He's gonna be an all time bust.

...he's a good receiver out of the backfield, but lacks moves. If we take him, it better not be any sooner than the 6th round.

Makes me question, who the hell is out there representing the team... (kwhy again??? hee hee...)
I wouldn't touch him before the sixth...and even then i'd be skeptical if he offered more then TT did. He is putting on a show at the senior bowl though. My guess is he puts on a show at the combine and some team takes him on the first day...I don't think we pursue him..but its the only name I've seen linked to the cowboys at the senior bowl.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 01-25-2007, 12:29 AM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tony Hunt anyone? I like thw size and power with decent speed he has, and one of those Bill Parcells types that he loves. Not sure if I want you use a 1st day pick on him though.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:32 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Tony Hunt anyone? I like thw size and power with decent speed he has, and one of those Bill Parcells types that he loves. Not sure if I want you use a 1st day pick on him though.
I wouldn't mind him in the 4th.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:33 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Does anybody know what Garrett's offensive style is???
Old 01-25-2007, 01:01 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
No, how would we?

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 01-25-2007, 02:05 AM    (permalink
dre1614
Rookie

dre1614 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I have a feeling Garrett will be announced thursday as our new HC.

Just from reading all this has me thinking.

here is one scenario that im thinking about

Dallas declined the Browns to interview Sparano. That means Dallas really likes him. If Garrett was OC where would that leave Sparano? oline coach and running game coordinator. Obviously we didnt decline the browns, just so Sparano could be our oline coach.

I have a strong feeling its going to be

HC - Garrett
OC - Sparano
DC - ??? Bowles maybe?
dre1614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:07 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre1614
I have a feeling Garrett will be announced thursday as our new HC.

Just from reading all this has me thinking.

here is one scenario that im thinking about

Dallas declined the Browns to interview Sparano. That means Dallas really likes him. If Garrett was OC where would that leave Sparano? oline coach and running game coordinator. Obviously we didnt decline the browns, just so Sparano could be our oline coach.

I have a strong feeling its going to be

HC - Garrett
OC - Sparano
DC - ??? Bowles maybe?
I don't understand where your coming from. Just because we declined them doesn't mean he is getting promoted.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 01-25-2007, 02:28 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

*DEEP SIGH*

I'm still a little bothered by this JG signing... I will give him his chance to do his thing before I make a judgement on him, but I can't lie and say I'm not sitting here scratching my head... :|

I'm gonna do some research... Alls I know is that he got nerdy holding that clipboard under Norv and Ernie while backing up Troy.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:51 AM    (permalink
dickson1187

Quote:
Quote:
No, how would we?
Jason was on a pretty experienced staff in Miami and was working with Ferrote / Harrington for what 1-2 years? So there really is very little about him in the form of results other than "people think he is smart." I am really surprised we are going this way. Disappointed actually. We will see today however.

Singletary or Bowles DC -- put me down for either petition.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:55 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I guess I stand alone in the belief that Pepper Johnson would work real well in Dallas?
Old 01-25-2007, 08:57 AM    (permalink
dickson1187

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I wouldn't touch him before the sixth...and even then i'd be skeptical if he offered more then TT did. He is putting on a show at the senior bowl though. My guess is he puts on a show at the combine and some team takes him on the first day...I don't think we pursue him..but its the only name I've seen linked to the cowboys at the senior bowl.
Can someone comment on an observation on Booker and the "falls down if a defender breathes" on him....

He seems to have gargantuan feet? Like so big they get in the way and are easy to hit. Ideas?
Old 01-25-2007, 08:59 AM    (permalink
dickson1187

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
I guess I stand alone in the belief that Pepper Johnson would work real well in Dallas?
No, good idea but the entire city of Dallas (and Jerry it seems) wants to eliminate any smell of Tuna. Pepper is Tuna smelling by local standards.