Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-25-2007, 10:33 AM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
I guess I stand alone in the belief that Pepper Johnson would work real well in Dallas?
He's not a name I've heard mentioned in connection with the Cowboys from any of the local or national media. That doesn't necessarily mean anything, of course. He was a good LB, I remember that, and he'd bring the requisite 3/4 experience.
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:38 AM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_in_bigd
Quote:
Originally Posted by thule
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit
Does anybody know what Garrett's offensive style is???
No, how would we?
Jason was on a pretty experienced staff in Miami and was working with Ferrote / Harrington for what 1-2 years? So there really is very little about him in the form of results other than "people think he is smart." I am really surprised we are going this way. Disappointed actually. We will see today however.

Singletary or Bowles DC -- put me down for either petition.
He spent several years as a player in the Norv Turner/Ernie Zampese offense, so that's probably an influence. He also was coached by Sean Payton and Jon Gruden, so he could bring a lot of different things with him.

I like the idea of him as an OC. Not so sure about HC yet.
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:45 AM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinChase
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No, how would we?
Jason was on a pretty experienced staff in Miami and was working with Ferrote / Harrington for what 1-2 years? So there really is very little about him in the form of results other than "people think he is smart." I am really surprised we are going this way. Disappointed actually. We will see today however.

He spent several years as a player in the Norv Turner/Ernie Zampese offense, so that's probably an influence. He also was coached by Sean Payton and Jon Gruden, so he could bring a lot of different things with him.

The negatives will be that the team will have to learn an entirely new offense, but no one in the league except maybe Miami will know what this guy likes to run. That gives us a huge advantage, at least for a few weeks. Those first few weeks are crucial anyway, as the team usually doesn't find it's stride until Week 5 or so.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:14 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
I guess I stand alone in the belief that Pepper Johnson would work real well in Dallas?
Not the worst guy, but there has been no word of him anywhere besides from you... So if that happens, props to you BBD.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:20 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I notice that Scott has us down for talking to Lorenzo Booker...I name that has been brought up a few times. I really like him...but don't know how much of an upgrade of Thompson he would be so i'm skeptical. But this got me thinking...everyone reporting on the senior bowl doesn't have very much information from the dallas scouts. This makes sense to a certain point...but what cheers me up is that Norv Turner and Mike Singletar and Wade Phillips are all down there....I'm praying for Norv/Singletary. I would garuntee a successful draft.
OH LORD, I HOPE NOT! I hate Booker. He's way too skinny and falls down if a defender even breaths on him. Goes down way too easy. Can't hit the hole hard. Definately not an inside runner and doesn't have enough speed to cut around the corner in the NFL... He's gonna be an all time bust.

...he's a good receiver out of the backfield, but lacks moves. If we take him, it better not be any sooner than the 6th round.

Makes me question, who the hell is out there representing the team... (kwhy again??? hee hee...)
I wouldn't touch him before the sixth...and even then i'd be skeptical if he offered more then TT did. He is putting on a show at the senior bowl though. My guess is he puts on a show at the combine and some team takes him on the first day...I don't think we pursue him..but its the only name I've seen linked to the cowboys at the senior bowl.
Can someone comment on an observation on Booker and the "falls down if a defender breathes" on him....

He seems to have gargantuan feet? Like so big they get in the way and are easy to hit. Ideas?
I love to watch FSU football and for the past 4 years, Booker has done nothing to impress. He came in as the #1 HS prospect in the land and never really developed. He's still a twig and he will not ever break a tackle. He's fast in the open field (for a RB), but he gets chanced down quite often even after finding daylight. He's too skinny, and not strong, and doesn't even have juking ability. He's definately not NFL material in my book. People will say he can catch, but not downfield... FSU threw to him a lot, but only on short screens or outlet passes... Not downfield like Reggie Bush or Brian Westbrook (to whom people want to compare him to). I find those comparisions, hilarious.

Could he be good? Maybe.... I just think it's highly unlikely. ...I've been wrong many times before...

but right many times too! :D
Old 01-25-2007, 02:22 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinChase
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No, how would we?

The negatives will be that the team will have to learn an entirely new offense, but no one in the league except maybe Miami will know what this guy likes to run. That gives us a huge advantage, at least for a few weeks. Those first few weeks are crucial anyway, as the team usually doesn't find it's stride until Week 5 or so.
That's a good point. He's a mystery alright. ...and with Saban out of the picture... Miami won't really know him either...

Saban did offer him the OC job at Alabama, but JG turned it down. Interesting fact.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:40 PM    (permalink
jdnoyes
Rookie

jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.

Well no suprise, but ESPN is reporting the Garrett to OC hiring is official. Now its just a matter of Jerry interviewing whoever else he is going to for HC and then making the call on whether he wants Garrett to be the HC or not.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2742496
jdnoyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:55 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Todd McShay has us taking Daymeion Hughes! That's super!

Kiper has us taking Meacham... Booooo..... :x
Old 01-25-2007, 03:04 PM    (permalink
jdnoyes
Rookie

jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.

More news, apparently Jerry has asked and received New Orleans permission to interview Gary Gibbs. Not a name i've heard much of here but an interesting thought. I thought he did a pretty darn good job while here with the linebackers, and also did a nice job with a NO defensive lacking in talent this year. I don't really know what to think but at least its a different name than Norv or Phillips. It looks by this interview Bill is having at least some influence on the selection of the next coach, which is nothing but a good thing IMO, and if the team has a bad year next year Gibbs would be a cheap guy easily disposed of so Jerry can get in the Fisher/Cower/Lovie sweepstakes next year.

http://www.cowboysplus.com/topstory/....1b303c86.html
Old 01-25-2007, 03:55 PM    (permalink
nrcirc
Veteran

nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news.cf...E78A6065DEFB16
nrcirc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 04:00 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnoyes
More news, apparently Jerry has asked and received New Orleans permission to interview Gary Gibbs. Not a name i've heard much of here but an interesting thought. I thought he did a pretty darn good job while here with the linebackers, and also did a nice job with a NO defensive lacking in talent this year. I don't really know what to think but at least its a different name than Norv or Phillips. It looks by this interview Bill is having at least some influence on the selection of the next coach, which is nothing but a good thing IMO, and if the team has a bad year next year Gibbs would be a cheap guy easily disposed of so Jerry can get in the Fisher/Cower/Lovie sweepstakes next year.

Never thought about that, but maybe...

Dumb thing about it... We don't know if that would be the plan or not... and that would be quite ballsy for Jerry to do. Unless he made it known that our coach was just an interim-HC.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:03 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6407828

Norv is officially in the mix.

"Other names linked to the job include Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan, Seattle assistant head coach Jim Mora and either or both of the Bears' coordinators."

Ron Rivera??? Yeah! ....but where is Mike's name??? :evil:
Old 01-25-2007, 04:14 PM    (permalink
jdnoyes
Rookie

Quote:
Quote:

Dumb thing about it... We don't know if that would be the plan or not... and that would be quite ballsy for Jerry to do. Unless he made it known that our coach was just an interim-HC.
Well I didn't mean to sound like Jerry would hire the guy with the intention of him failing. I think he will hire the guy who he thinks give the team the best chance to succeed, but it would give Jerry an easy out if the boys with the talent they have went 7-9 or something next year. He could easily dump a cheap contract and a no name guy. You can bet whoever the new coach is if the team has a losing season next year Jerry would dump him for a Bill Cower, and eat the rest of the salary. I don't doubt for a minute that Jerry isn't wishing he was entering the coatching market one year later. Having said all that things can change very quickly. Cower could say no, and Lovie and Fisher could have signed long term extensions by then, so if Jerry is smart he will get the guy who he believes can lead this franchise for the next 5+ years not just a guy who can hold it down for a year.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:18 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well I didn't mean to sound like Jerry would hire the guy with the intention of him failing. I think he will hire the guy who he thinks give the team the best chance to succeed, but it would give Jerry an easy out if the boys with the talent they have went 7-9 or something next year. He could easily dump a cheap contract and a no name guy. You can bet whoever the new coach is if the team has a losing season next year Jerry would dump him for a Bill Cower, and eat the rest of the salary. I don't doubt for a minute that Jerry isn't wishing he was entering the coatching market one year later. Having said all that things can change very quickly. Cower could say no, and Lovie and Fisher could have signed long term extensions by then, so if Jerry is smart he will get the guy who he believes can lead this franchise for the next 5+ years not just a guy who can hold it down for a year.
Cowher imo is never coming to Dallas to have to work under Jerry. Lovie and Fisher maybe... I'd still prefer Rivera over Lovie though. I like his personality.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:31 PM    (permalink
jdnoyes
Rookie

Quote:
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6407828

Norv is officially in the mix.

"Other names linked to the job include Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan, Seattle assistant head coach Jim Mora and either or both of the Bears' coordinators."

Ron Rivera??? Yeah! ....but where is Mike's name??? :evil:
Well a Rex Ryan hiring however you might feel about it could get Singletary here as the DC. They both worked on the defensive staff under Nolan, Ryan as D-Line coach and Singletary as Linebackers coach. If Ryan was hired I could definately see him trying to bring Singletary in as his DC.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:33 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

so is anybody else concerned that we are hiring assistants before we hire the head coach? this just seems stupid. imagine calling a guy and telling him we want you to be the head coach but you dont get to hire the assistants. what if xxx doesnt like jason garett or wants to run a different offense? seems like jerry never learns. most big time coaches want to name their staff and get people in here they like/trust. it just amazes me.
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 04:38 PM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

Poet3334 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
so is anybody else concerned that we are hiring assistants before we hire the head coach? this just seems stupid. imagine calling a guy and telling him we want you to be the head coach but you dont get to hire the assistants. what if xxx doesnt like jason garett or wants to run a different offense? seems like jerry never learns. most big time coaches want to name their staff and get people in here they like/trust. it just amazes me.
Not necessarily. My guess is maybe the candidates for HC knew that in advance and have agreed on the Garrett move.

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
Albert Camus
Poet3334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 04:44 PM    (permalink
jdnoyes
Rookie

Quote:
Yeah i'm concerned about it, but I'm guessing he really doesn't care who his new coach wants to hire as his OC. If the guy doesn't want Garrett then I assume Jerry won't make him the HC. The Dolphins gave Jerry a really small window to work with, so he got who he wanted before the window closed. If all else fails, Jerry will just name Garrett the HC.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:53 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Yep. Parcells didn't know Zimmer and we all know how that went. Jerry was stupid to approach Garrett as soon as he did. Garrett was going nowhere... as soon as Jerry showed interest, Miami put that window on him. Jerry, get the DAMN HC FIRST YOU IDIOT!!!!!! GEEZ!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-25-2007, 05:20 PM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

Poet3334 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

[quote="D-Unit"]
Quote:
Yep. Parcells didn't know Zimmer and we all know how that went. Jerry was stupid to approach Garrett as soon as he did. Garrett was going nowhere... as soon as Jerry showed interest, Miami put that window on him. Jerry, get the DAMN HC FIRST YOU IDIOT!!!!!! GEEZ!!!!!!!!!!![/quote

Have strong opinions do ya?

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
Albert Camus
Poet3334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:42 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Yep. Parcells didn't know Zimmer and we all know how that went. Jerry was stupid to approach Garrett as soon as he did. Garrett was going nowhere... as soon as Jerry showed interest, Miami put that window on him. Jerry, get the DAMN HC FIRST YOU IDIOT!!!!!! GEEZ!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree, It's just a dumb move on our part. I like Garrett, but we should have pursued him after we got a HC.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:42 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

My thinking on the Garrett move is that he probably had a deadline on him and that he was so impressive that Jerry felt like he had to hire him...it definitely would be interesting to see him working with Norv again...

Those of you who want Singletary for D-coordinator, remember that San Fran can refuse us permission to speak with him for a D-coordinator spot; they cannot if we ask permission for him to speak about the head coachinch position (although he most likely could be spoken to as a head coach and take an offer as DC).
Old 01-25-2007, 07:22 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm watching real sports with bryant gumble and they just said that back in 1996 Irvin got busted with 10 ounces of weed, 10 grams of yayo, and a bunch of sex toys. I knew he got busted, but i never knew he got busted with that much stuff... :shock:

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:44 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some of you may have noticed, but I haven't been commenting much on the head coaching gig. The reason why I haven't had much to say is the simple fact that as fans of the team, none of us know jack ****. We really don't. I know D-Unit loves Singletary, but what if he comes in here and is completely lost managing the "big picture" aspect of being a HC? What if Jason Garrett comes in and becomes the next Bill Walsh, totally revolutionizing the game with a unique approach to offense?

I mean, seriously, we don't know anything. Assistant coaches, by their very natures, are basically impossible to evaluate without getting up close and personal. We just don't have anything to go off of. And don't be ridiculous and say that because you have seen Singletary conduct some drills with a bunch of college prospects, then you just know that he is going to be a bad ass coach. That's just plain stupid.

Don't misunderstand me. I have nothing against any of the assistant coaching candidates out there. What I have seen though, is both Wade Phillips and Norv Turner be moderately successful as NFL head men at some point in time. Neither have wowed. Both eventually got axed, which is what all coaches do that aren't in the "all time great" category. Right now, I want us to focus on getting the next Landry, Parcells, Walsh, Knoll, Parcells, Gibbs, Holmgren, or Shula in here. Someone that we can move forward into the next 20 years with as a constant guiding presence. I would sacrifice 4 years of mediocrity to guarantee getting a guy like that. That is how important one can be to the success of your team.

If there is a chance that Garrett can be that guy, I'm willing to take a chance. The problem here is that I don't know enough to have an opinion. It's times like these that you have to just hold your breath and trust in the ability of the management of your team. Considering how badly Jerry has screwed all of us in the past, that is a daunting prospect....but still what we have to face. I choose to believe in him. Though I may regret it in the end.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:59 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

BP radio interview with NY Radio Station.

http://www.wfan.com/topic/play_windo...audioId=250188

You all will love this...

It's time.

Playoff game had some affect on his retirement.

TO factor?

Jerry factor? No.

Too difficult mentally.... Offseason, Senior Bowl, Free Agency, Preseason, Season... Just to miss the FG at the end of the season...

Not mature enough to know what to do.

...inflated opinion of themselves... including the media...

Last 2 or 3 weeks will serve Romo well in the future... High highs and low lows...

Spoke to Tony about what he needs to do in the future...

Most difficult job by far.

QB issues... until midway this year.. Cap prohibitive...

Far superior, better character, higher expectations... helping Jerry

Looking forward to Cowboys future...

2 of his biggest losses... one with the Jets and this last Seattle game...

Every year was a new entity... all centered around QB...

OL issues... then QB issues... then Defensive issues... secondary especially...

Loss of Ellis was huge...

Proud of the guys who he's coached with that are doing well.