Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-29-2007, 06:18 PM    (permalink
Go Cowboys
Pro Bowler

Location: Springfield, OH: Most Depressing City in the Country. Look it up
Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it is great if we get Norv and Mike.

On the draft front, I like the idea of trading down, picking up some picks and taking a guy like Brandon Meriweather who can play FS or Corner.
In the 2nd round an O-Lineman probley.
then a Receiver, O-Line Depth, and eventually a QB and a Nose Tackle

Also if Amobi Okoye were to fall to us then I think we take him anyways, yes I know he is small for the 3-4 but athletic ability alone, plues he is a young guy who can add good mucle weight in the weight room.

Thanks to bonekrusher for the sig
Go Cowboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 06:28 PM    (permalink
dickson1187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward
Get the Al Davis created this league bullcrap out of this thread and tell it to people who believe that. Davis had a hand in the NFL, JUST LIKE OTHER OWNERS OF THE TIME.
To Ward: Was that response necessary? I think Al Davis is as bad as Jerry. You seemingly disagree. That is fine but I would leave it at that "Mr Moderator." PS, Moderator comes from the word "Moderate," try adhereing to it.

To Poet: Yes, I dislike him and I do think Al Davis is 10x the owner and contributor that Jerry is. Al Davis is a football man and Jerry is not. Al played a very important role in creating this league. Just like Joe Namath, Hunt and a few others from the AFL days.

Great news on MS. Thanks for the update guys. Have a great evening.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:32 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNewFan41
Quote:
Originally Posted by thule
Quote:
og in the first...blah blah blah
Who in the right mind deserves to be selected number 22 in the draft. There isn't one OG in this draft that really warrants a first round pick let alone pick number 22. The only guy who would get mild consideration here would be Grubbs...and he is not the type of OG I want us to bring it....get real man.
I say we move down like 6 spots to like #28 at pick Sears or Blalock, that would be a solid pick, plus we would pick up a 2nd or 3rd rounder. We need an OG, no question about it.
Well first of all you have to ask yourself who would move up and why and for what player.

Second of all Sears was less than impressive inside this week at the senior bowl...looked like a classic waste bender to me.

Blalock is lucky to be a second round pick at this point. His stock has been dropping ever since the year started and still hasn't stopped...people are knocking his lateral quickness but I really don't find that a need since he would be our road grader. Even if he is gone a guy like Ramirez is still on board...OG doesn't hold value in the top 50...this is where you have to land your skill position players.

Just a note on Henry moving...noone cares what you think about the move...bottom line is Jerry came out and said it...and until we hear otherwise we have to speculate from all angles.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 06:36 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Cowboys
I think it is great if we get Norv and Mike.

On the draft front, I like the idea of trading down, picking up some picks and taking a guy like Brandon Meriweather who can play FS or Corner.
In the 2nd round an O-Lineman probley.
then a Receiver, O-Line Depth, and eventually a QB and a Nose Tackle

Also if Amobi Okoye were to fall to us then I think we take him anyways, yes I know he is small for the 3-4 but athletic ability alone, plues he is a young guy who can add good mucle weight in the weight room.
He is a three tech...he said his optimal playing weight was around 295...we would need to use him as a 5 tech...it just wouldn't makes sense...but this thought really doesn't matter...he won't last till us anyways.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 01-29-2007, 06:41 PM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_in_bigd
Quote:
Get the Al Davis created this league bullcrap out of this thread and tell it to people who believe that. Davis had a hand in the NFL, JUST LIKE OTHER OWNERS OF THE TIME.
To Ward: Was that response necessary? I think Al Davis is as bad as Jerry. You seemingly disagree. That is fine but I would leave it at that "Mr Moderator." PS, Moderator comes from the word "Moderate," try adhereing to it.

To Poet: Yes, I dislike him and I do think Al Davis is 10x the owner and contributor that Jerry is. Al Davis is a football man and Jerry is not. Al played a very important role in creating this league. Just like Joe Namath, Hunt and a few others from the AFL days.

Perhaps at one point Al Davis was a credible football guy. I don't deny that. However, the fact that the Raiders are the worst team in the NFL by a large margin with no end in sight really errodes any credibility he has.

The Cowboys under Jerry Jones have been everything from Great to Good to Average to Below average. They haven't been the laughing stock of the NFL like the Raiders.

History has it's place, but you cannot discount the relevance of the more recent history over that of the distant history. The game has passed Al Davis by. His FA strategies, his offensive strategies and his coaching hires are pretty clear in that regard.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.
LSUALUM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 06:53 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
I am moderating, you seem to be a Raiders fan which would mean you are breaking the rules of this forum. Go post that in the Raiders team thread and discuss the rules. It would be in your best interest to read the rules before continuing in this conversation.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 06:55 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

Although Singletary is apparently interviewing for the head coaching job, in my mind it seems that he is really interviewing for a spot as DC...the head coaching interview is dualfold: so that the Cowboys can interview him and also fulfill the Rooney Rule (the fulfillment thus far has been questioned with respect to Bowles).
Old 01-29-2007, 07:16 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ888
Although Singletary is apparently interviewing for the head coaching job, in my mind it seems that he is really interviewing for a spot as DC...the head coaching interview is dualfold: so that the Cowboys can interview him and also fulfill the Rooney Rule (the fulfillment thus far has been questioned with respect to Bowles).
Yeah the Rooney Rule was already complied with, but sites like PFT bashed Jones because it was Bowles who is within the organization. They suggest that Jerry was exploiting a loophole. Now Jerry's interviewing Singletary.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:30 PM    (permalink
Larry
Veteran

Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87
Why do you want our staff so much :(
Seriously why are you asking these guys. There just fans like you are, it's not there decision who the cowboys hire.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:45 PM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

Poet3334 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry
Quote:
Seriously why are you asking these guys. There just fans like you are, it's not there decision who the cowboys hire.
Maybe someone on this board can give him some insight as to how WE think this is playing out, and the possible reasoning behind all the talk. That's what a message board is for.

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
Albert Camus
Poet3334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:00 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry
Quote:
Are you stupid?

Poet said everything that needs to be said. I wont hijack the thread arguing with you, so if you have any other idiotic things to say just PM me.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:04 PM    (permalink
amiyahomiojs

I want Ramirez and Blalock, I don't care were we pick them. I want 2 dominant guards, Kosier is a solid backup, and Rivera is pretty much done now. We need 2 new OG's. We don't need skill Players. Thule skill players don't matter if you don't have good line play. I knwo it is a cleche, but is does all start up front. Look at the eagles, the reasont hey are good every year is because both their O-Line and D-line are always dominant. With their O-Line with Shawn Andrews and Runyan there run over everyone, and with that d-line rotation, they have 2 quality starting units. We need a NT of the future, 2 OG's, and in a year or two a LT of the future. The skill positions are set on this team, maybe some more youth at thw WR position, but we need dominant lines. I still like Canty and Spears, though. We need a good o-line.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:16 PM    (permalink
Number-94

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
og in the first...blah blah blah
Who in the right mind deserves to be selected number 22 in the draft. There isn't one OG in this draft that really warrants a first round pick let alone pick number 22. The only guy who would get mild consideration here would be Grubbs...and he is not the type of OG I want us to bring it....get real man.
I say we move down like 6 spots to like #28 at pick Sears or Blalock, that would be a solid pick, plus we would pick up a 2nd or 3rd rounder. We need an OG, no question about it.
Blalock was getting beat to a pulp. I'd much rather have Manuel Ramirez in the 2nd or 3rd. I would love to get Meriweather in the 2nd but Watkins has to much talent to just give up on, only CB I would want in the first is Wilson. I think he has a very high ceiling but only a "bust level" floor.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:32 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope so bad that we get Mike for HC. So bad...

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:26 PM    (permalink
jdnoyes
Rookie

jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit
BREAKING NEWS!!!!

http://www.dallasnews.com/

The Cowboys will have San Francisco assistant head coach Mike Singletary in for an interview on Tuesday. Details to come.
In my mind this can only mean one thing. Jerry is going to hire Norv. So Jerry and Norv are sitting around talking and Jerry says "Norv, who would you bring in to fix our defense". Norv responds "I'd bring in Mike Singletary in a heartbeat." Jerry says "ok Norv, you're gonna be my man but I need you to go back to San Fran and sell our plan to Mike, and its a done deal" and thats what Norv has been doing for the last 24 hours. So now Jerry pulls Jason Garrett #2 and brings him in for a HC/DC interview. He further fulfills the Rooney rule, that some have questioned with the Bowles interview, and then on Thursday he announces Norv as the HC, Singletary as the DC and Garrett as the OC. Once he gets Mike into Dallas and Jerry puts the title asst head coach/DC with a fat raise in his face its game over.

While some have said that San Fran would never allow it, I say they would have no choice. The failed to move to make Mike their DC when they had the chance, and now they are about to lose him. The move would not be a lateral one for Singletary as some have maintained. Doing some reading this week and I believe that the NFL clarified the title Asst. Head coach really doesn't mean anything, because teams were throwing the title all over the place to protect valuable assistants. I predict between now and thursday morning this happens, and i'm estatic. So I say get off Jerry's back and give him some props. Hiring away two of the bright young minds in the game today, and placing them under the care of his old warhorse Norv is a pretty good haul if you ask me.
jdnoyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:55 PM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnoyes
Quote:
BREAKING NEWS!!!!

The Cowboys will have San Francisco assistant head coach Mike Singletary in for an interview on Tuesday. Details to come.
In my mind this can only mean one thing. Jerry is going to hire Norv. So Jerry and Norv are sitting around talking and Jerry says "Norv, who would you bring in to fix our defense". Norv responds "I'd bring in Mike Singletary in a heartbeat." Jerry says "ok Norv, you're gonna be my man but I need you to go back to San Fran and sell our plan to Mike, and its a done deal" and thats what Norv has been doing for the last 24 hours. So now Jerry pulls Jason Garrett #2 and brings him in for a HC/DC interview. He further fulfills the Rooney rule, that some have questioned with the Bowles interview, and then on Thursday he announces Norv as the HC, Singletary as the DC and Garrett as the OC. Once he gets Mike into Dallas and Jerry puts the title asst head coach/DC with a fat raise in his face its game over.

While some have said that San Fran would never allow it, I say they would have no choice. The failed to move to make Mike their DC when they had the chance, and now they are about to lose him. The move would not be a lateral one for Singletary as some have maintained. Doing some reading this week and I believe that the NFL clarified the title Asst. Head coach really doesn't mean anything, because teams were throwing the title all over the place to protect valuable assistants. I predict between now and thursday morning this happens, and i'm estatic. So I say get off Jerry's back and give him some props. Hiring away two of the bright young minds in the game today, and placing them under the care of his old warhorse Norv is a pretty good haul if you ask me.
If Norv is the HC (I am not really a big fan of that idea) and the two coordinator positions are filled by Up and Comers who have respect throughout the league (I'm not 100% on board that they are, but let's assume they are) then I'm in favor of that strategy.

I only hope that, if it is indeed the case, we can keep them for more than a year or two.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:07 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
BREAKING NEWS!!!!

Singletary will be a HC in 2-3 years. He is a up and comer.

Thats why i dont want him as DC. He is just going to go in 2 years. Maybe even next year. No continuinty. Back to square one in 2 years.

Hopefully jones takes singletary and keep turner...Norv is more important to the 49ers.

Or even better, maybe jones hires phillips :(
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:10 PM    (permalink
jdnoyes
Rookie

jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUALUM99
Quote:
Quote:
BREAKING NEWS!!!!

If Norv is the HC (I am not really a big fan of that idea) and the two coordinator positions are filled by Up and Comers who have respect throughout the league (I'm not 100% on board that they are, but let's assume they are) then I'm in favor of that strategy.

I only hope that, if it is indeed the case, we can keep them for more than a year or two.
I tend to agree with you LSU, and i'm not overly excited about Norv, but to get Singletary in a package deal to me is huge. Now whether or not Garrett and Singletary are all that as coordinators only time will tell, but i'm all for bringing in young, hungry, bright guys and turning them loose. are they the answer as the coordinators? Only time will tell, but I gotta give Jerry some props for making the move.

If you watched Singletary work with that D at the Senior Bowl, you had to be super impressed, you could just see how much respect those players have for this guy, and how great a teacher he is. I personally believe if there is one guy who can knock Roy Williams right off his high horse and make him work to be the safety he can be it is none other than Mike. If this happens i'll be so stoked.

Of course all these predictions will probably make me look foolish, and Jerry will hire Wade, but I just see way to many things that make sense with this Norv/Singletary connection.
jdnoyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:20 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I want Ramirez and Blalock, I don't care were we pick them. I want 2 dominant guards, Kosier is a solid backup, and Rivera is pretty much done now. We need 2 new OG's. We don't need skill Players. Thule skill players don't matter if you don't have good line play. I knwo it is a cleche, but is does all start up front. Look at the eagles, the reasont hey are good every year is because both their O-Line and D-line are always dominant. With their O-Line with Shawn Andrews and Runyan there run over everyone, and with that d-line rotation, they have 2 quality starting units. We need a NT of the future, 2 OG's, and in a year or two a LT of the future. The skill positions are set on this team, maybe some more youth at thw WR position, but we need dominant lines. I still like Canty and Spears, though. We need a good o-line.
Koiser didn't sign for backup money...you don't pay a guy that much money to be a backup...he is great in space...he was a good lineman for us this year...however with Rivera getting blown up all day Gurode was almost always giving help to the right side. Not to mention Flozell to his left having a off year...he wasn't exactly put in the best situation. OL talent hardly differs from the first round to the seventh round. There are a couple elite guys...in this class one...maybe two if you consider Brown elite...the rest are clearly second tier...and I don't really see what sets them apart from a day two Olineman. However if you take a look at day one corners vs. day two corners I think its safe to say you see the difference. Day one WR's vs. Day two wr's you see a difference. Day two LB's vs. Day One lbs...I think you get what I"m saying. For every offensive player you can name I can name a guy who is just as good who was drafted later. However I think you'd be hard fought to have that battle with me using skill positions.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 01-29-2007, 10:24 PM    (permalink
dickson1187

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I am moderating, you seem to be a Raiders fan which would mean you are breaking the rules of this forum. Go post that in the Raiders team thread and discuss the rules. It would be in your best interest to read the rules before continuing in this conversation.
I was discussing the Cowboys Mr. Ward until you posted the "bull crap" line. Going forward, I would prefer if you put me on ignore unless I am doing something bad or abusive. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:26 PM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Koiser didn't sign for backup money...you don't pay a guy that much money to be a backup...he is great in space...he was a good lineman for us this year...however with Rivera getting blown up all day Gurode was almost always giving help to the right side. Not to mention Flozell to his left having a off year...he wasn't exactly put in the best situation. OL talent hardly differs from the first round to the seventh round. There are a couple elite guys...in this class one...maybe two if you consider Brown elite...the rest are clearly second tier...and I don't really see what sets them apart from a day two Olineman. However if you take a look at day one corners vs. day two corners I think its safe to say you see the difference. Day one WR's vs. Day two wr's you see a difference. Day two LB's vs. Day One lbs...I think you get what I"m saying. For every offensive player you can name I can name a guy who is just as good who was drafted later. However I think you'd be hard fought to have that battle with me using skill positions.
That's precisely the point I've made many times. It's not that you see that you need a position so you draft it 1st. The key is to find where the talent level drops off and draft your need just before that. With OL the talent level drops off after Thomas. I don't think there is a better option at OL in the first round than you can get in the second or later rounds, I want a CB in the first round.

Also, I'm more interested in Kalil at C and move Guorode over to RG than drafting a generic OL at RG just because. I like Kosier though.

Also, I think everyone is way overestimating how high Nelson is going to go on this board. I do not think he'll be in the top 25. Landry goes top 10 but the next safety off the board may not go till mid 20's.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
Old 01-29-2007, 10:28 PM    (permalink
dickson1187

Quote:
Quote:
This comment, Thule, is dead on.

I would only add one small thing -- small school athletes do fall and can make great skill/speed position guys. Austin and Colston come to mind as athletes in skill spots who fall from small schools.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:33 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That's precisely the point I've made many times. It's not that you see that you need a position so you draft it 1st. The key is to find where the talent level drops off and draft your need just before that. With OL the talent level drops off after Thomas. I don't think there is a better option at OL in the first round than you can get in the second or later rounds, I want a CB in the first round.

Also, I'm more interested in Kalil at C and move Guorode over to RG than drafting a generic OL at RG just because. I like Kosier though.

Also, I think everyone is way overestimating how high Nelson is going to go on this board. I do not think he'll be in the top 25. Landry goes top 10 but the next safety off the board may not go till mid 20's.
I really don't like Kalil for our offense...he actually reminds me alot of Al Johnson. But have great technique are natural knee benders...but just can't control the bull rush. Now the college ranks are different because players aren't as physically developed. Which is why guys like Johnson and Kalil can dominate. Both are natural leaders with great heads on their shoulders...but when it comes down to it...they really lack value outside of a zone blocking scheme.

Gurode already showed that he couldn't handle playing the Guard position for whatever reasons. And while I don't think a guy who isn't a natural leader should be the center of our defense I really don't see any other value in this draft to replace him outside of kalil.

I agree that everyone is high on Nelson. But the more I think about it the more I think I'm behind the times. Quick safeties have turned into a premium in todays NFL and teams are realizing this...thus reaching for Safeties. Who would have thought Whitner would have went top ten. I really think we are going to see a change in draft strategies and I don't forsee a way that either guy falls past number 20.

With so many top tier CB's in this draft I'm with you...Hall/Revis/Houston come to me at 22...if we wanna move down...hell guys like Ross/Wright/Hughes would all be great fits.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 01-29-2007, 10:33 PM    (permalink
dickson1187

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Perhaps at one point Al Davis was a credible football guy. I don't deny that. However, the fact that the Raiders are the worst team in the NFL by a large margin with no end in sight really errodes any credibility he has.

The Cowboys under Jerry Jones have been everything from Great to Good to Average to Below average. They haven't been the laughing stock of the NFL like the Raiders.

History has it's place, but you cannot discount the relevance of the more recent history over that of the distant history. The game has passed Al Davis by. His FA strategies, his offensive strategies and his coaching hires are pretty clear in that regard.
LSU, recent History has Al in the Super Bowl and winning playoff games. Not Jerry.

Going forward into 2007 -- yeah, Jerry has a better shot of figuring it out than Al. Al looks really really bad and just does not seem to have the energy to get it done. I would even bet he may have some mental health issues. He just looks horrible.

Hope Jerry gives Wade, Singletary and Garrett the wheels soon. This would be my dream team for 2007.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:36 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This comment, Thule, is dead on.

I would only add one small thing -- small school athletes do fall and can make great skill/speed position guys. Austin and Colston come to mind as athletes in skill spots who fall from small schools.
This is true...but also you have to deal with smaller school prospects taking longer to adjust to the NFL game.

Designs by me
Quote: