Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 02-04-2007, 03:41 PM    (permalink
BX
Veteran

BX hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewebs
Has everyone forgotten that Greg Ellis is still on the team??? If we switch to the 4-3, Ellis is starting at Left Defensive End. It's the surest lock of all the front 7 positions if we switch. No question.
LOL, I was just about to post the same thing.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:47 PM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

Poet3334 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

What did everyone thing about the Bears' perforamnce tonight, specifically their defense? I thought they played well depsite the fact that they were on the field for 3/4 of the game.

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
Albert Camus
Poet3334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 11:01 PM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

CTCowboysFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

So who do you guys see as the favorite? If I had to really guess it would be Norv Turner. Seeing him and Jerry celebrate Michael's incduction into the hall of fame probably brought back some memories. It sure would be nice to pry Rivera from the Bears to be our D coordinator, even as the head coach. I just wonder if it would be better to have Norv and Rivera. I am really not sure. I hope Jerry makes the right choice for this team.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:17 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

CTC, what do you see in Norv that makes you think he will lead us to the Championship? To me, he's J.A.C... Just Another Coach...
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 11:28 PM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

CTCowboysFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit
CTC, what do you see in Norv that makes you think he will lead us to the Championship? To me, he's J.A.C... Just Another Coach...
Well I just think he is hungry for the chance to prove he is not the head coach people think he is from Oakland and Washington. It appears that he has the passion for coaching and also that he could do great things with Romo makes me excited, not only Romo but this entire offense. I just wonder what the offense will be like with a defensive coach as the head coach. Our last few coaches have had a defensive mindset which is why it has taken us this long to find a good quarterback. It's time to break out a diverse and explosive offense. With Norv Turner I think we could do that. Also the fact that he was at the Senior Bowl helps us out in that he knows a lot about the seniors so he can help us draft.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:15 AM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm fearing that's it's going to be Norv. But I really, really really really hope it will be Wade. Hopefully we'll find out by Tuesday or Wendsday.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:49 AM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd love to see Singletary, but I'm not totally sure that'll happen. So, if not singletary, Iwant Phillips and either Singletary as DC.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 05:50 AM    (permalink
amiyahomiojs

Quote:
D-Unit, I am apposed to Norv just as much as you, but, maybe the 3rd time is the charm in this case.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:21 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I actually would be glad if Rivera left. I like him as a DC but a change would be nice and Bob Babich is very deserving of a promotion, not to mention that he'll be a lifetime coordinator in the mold of Jim Johnson/Monte Kiffen and not be the distraction that Rivera is every year looking for a head coaching job.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:51 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCowboysFan
Quote:
Well I just think he is hungry for the chance to prove he is not the head coach people think he is from Oakland and Washington. It appears that he has the passion for coaching and also that he could do great things with Romo makes me excited, not only Romo but this entire offense. I just wonder what the offense will be like with a defensive coach as the head coach. Our last few coaches have had a defensive mindset which is why it has taken us this long to find a good quarterback. It's time to break out a diverse and explosive offense. With Norv Turner I think we could do that. Also the fact that he was at the Senior Bowl helps us out in that he knows a lot about the seniors so he can help us draft.
What the heck makes you think he'll do great things with Romo??? Was it his great job he did with Heath Schuler? Danny Wuerffel? Jay Feidler? or maybe Andrew Walter....? Look at the QBs he's had a chance to develop...

Washington 94-00 - Heath Schuler, Danny Weurffel, Gus Frerotte, Brad Johnson, Jeff George, Casey Weldon
San Diego 01 - Doug Flutie
Miami 02-03 - Jay Fiedler, Sage Rosenfels, Brian Greise, Ray Lucas
Oakland 04-05 - Kerry Collins, Andrew Walter
San Fran - Alex Smith

I'm scared of what Norv would do with Romo.... Better leave Romo alone and let JG take care of things...

Outside of Dallas Norv Turner has been a huge flop!

As WAS OC... ...and mind you, he knew everything about Dallas and still sucked against us.
1994 3-13 5th NFC East
1995 6-10 3rd NFC East
1996 9-7 3rd NFC East
1997 8-7-1 2nd NFC East
1998 6-10 4th NFC East
1999 10-6 1st NFC East Won Wild Card Playoffs (Lions)
Lost Divisional Playoffs (Buccaneers) 14-13
2000 8-8 3rd NFC East

As SAN OC...
2001 5-11 5th AFC West

As MIA OC...
2001 11-5 2nd AFC East Lost Wild Card Playoffs (Ravens) 20-3
2002 9-7 3rd AFC East

As OAK HC...
2004 5-11 4th AFC West
2005 4-12 4th AFC West

As SAN OC...
2006 7-9 3rd NFC West

So why is it that we want Norv??? Cause he's so good at what?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:40 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCowboysFan
Quote:
What the heck makes you think he'll do great things with Romo??? Was it his great job he did with Heath Schuler? Danny Wuerffel? Jay Feidler? or maybe Andrew Walter....? Look at the QBs he's had a chance to develop...

Washington 94-00 - Heath Schuler, Danny Weurffel, Gus Frerotte, Brad Johnson, Jeff George, Casey Weldon
San Diego 01 - Doug Flutie
Miami 02-03 - Jay Fiedler, Sage Rosenfels, Brian Greise, Ray Lucas
Oakland 04-05 - Kerry Collins, Andrew Walter
San Fran - Alex Smith

I'm scared of what Norv would do with Romo.... Better leave Romo alone and let JG take care of things...

Outside of Dallas Norv Turner has been a huge flop!

As WAS OC... ...and mind you, he knew everything about Dallas and still sucked against us.
1994 3-13 5th NFC East
1995 6-10 3rd NFC East
1996 9-7 3rd NFC East
1997 8-7-1 2nd NFC East
1998 6-10 4th NFC East
1999 10-6 1st NFC East Won Wild Card Playoffs (Lions)
Lost Divisional Playoffs (Buccaneers) 14-13
2000 8-8 3rd NFC East

As SAN OC...
2001 5-11 5th AFC West

As MIA OC...
2001 11-5 2nd AFC East Lost Wild Card Playoffs (Ravens) 20-3
2002 9-7 3rd AFC East

As OAK HC...
2004 5-11 4th AFC West
2005 4-12 4th AFC West

As SAN OC...
2006 7-9 3rd NFC West

So why is it that we want Norv??? Cause he's so good at what?
I we hire Turner I think it's only going to last 2 years and then Garrtt is our HC. That's definetely not the route I want to go. I want Rivera or Singletary. Nobody else.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:45 PM    (permalink
bigmac076
Veteran

bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wanna see:

HC - Singletary
OC - Jason Garrett
DC - Todd Bowles

yeah its each mans' first time at that paticular job, but who gives a #@*K! Lets take a chance.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:11 PM    (permalink
charles_haley_rules

Been a minute since I posted so I’ll throw a few things out:

I don’t think Norv will be as bad a choice as most of you seem to. Sure he wasnta success, but who can be with Daniel Snyder on their neck or Al Davis? I mean, the Raiders aren’t even a Div 1A school. I think he did a good job with Alex Smith and the offense in San Fran. The man knows offense, and to know offense, you know defense, because you have to know how to attack it.

Sure the defense was less than stellar down the stretch, but the offense not scoring was the real problem. When you have Romo, TO, TG, JJ, Barber, and Whitten on offense, that should be a nightmare for teams. Norv can bring that. Garret I like, I do, but he has two years experience, he isn’t ready to be a head coach. But he is a young hot hand and is credited with many for being Aikman’s coach during the nineties as much as Norv.

The defense does not need to switch to the 4-3. Remember, this is a defense that handed the Colts their first loss of the season. They handled them. We need them to play that way every week. Mot to be overhauled. I’m a big fan of situational 4-3 defenses as well. Personally, I don’t like cover two that much. I prefer to match up man to man, athlete to athlete, and let the best man win. Stick henry, Glenn, and newman in man coverage on 3rd down passing plays. Take out a safety and have one safety to cover the short/mid crossing route. Hell, stick the safety on the TE and go zero cover. Blitz the front seven with stunts and slants. I want to see someone get a pass off accurately with Ellis,Ware, Hatcher, Burnette, Carpenter, canty, and Ratliff comin at em from multiple directions.

But hey, I’m an all or nothing kind of person. Maybe why I’m not a coach. But we have great personel. We need someone who can coach them to recognize plays quickly and to react accordingly, not overhaul the system.

Norv/Phillips as head coach
Garret as OC
Singletary as DC
Old 02-05-2007, 04:25 PM    (permalink
jetBLACK08

I hope that we do not get Rivera as a HC. He did not prove himself worthy at the superbowl. He let the Colts offense dink and run all over them. I don't care who we get as long as one person is named Wade.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:29 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
I actually would be glad if Rivera left. I like him as a DC but a change would be nice and Bob Babich is very deserving of a promotion, not to mention that he'll be a lifetime coordinator in the mold of Jim Johnson/Monte Kiffen and not be the distraction that Rivera is every year looking for a head coaching job.
The bears players love Rivera though, I don't know if you want him gone. They play hard for Rivera.

In regards to the Cowboys HC situation, its getting tiresome. Just pick someone already Jones. If he's smart, he should hire Rob Ryan, who worked the 3-4 under Bellichick, and is a proven X and O guy in Oakland, and is great at creating favorable matchups. Then let that OC they hired work the offense, let Ryan work the defense, manage the team, and hire Pepper Johnson as his DC, who also worked under Bellichick.

Sounds like a winning formula to me.

But seriously Jones...HIRE TURNER. Oh man, please hire Turner.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:44 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_haley_rules
Sure the defense was less than stellar down the stretch, but the offense not scoring was the real problem. When you have Romo, TO, TG, JJ, Barber, and Whitten on offense, that should be a nightmare for teams. Norv can bring that. Garret I like, I do, but he has two years experience, he isn’t ready to be a head coach. But he is a young hot hand and is credited with many for being Aikman’s coach during the nineties as much as Norv.
How was the offense a problem? We were #5 in the league. How is that a probem? Our defenses collapse at the end of the year was the problem. 13th in the league isn't exactly great, and we were the 32nd ranked D in the league in the last 3 or 4 weeks. That's a lot worse than "less than stellar." That being said we don't need to bring in an offensive minded HC ei Norv Turner. Garrett can run the offense, he'll be fine, but the defense is a major concern.

BoneKrusher
Old 02-05-2007, 08:11 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staubach12
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_haley_rules
How was the offense a problem? We were #5 in the league. How is that a probem? Our defenses collapse at the end of the year was the problem. 13th in the league isn't exactly great, and we were the 32nd ranked D in the league in the last 3 or 4 weeks. That's a lot worse than "less than stellar." That being said we don't need to bring in an offensive minded HC ei Norv Turner. Garrett can run the offense, he'll be fine, but the defense is a major concern.
I agree with you, but I would say we did become a little inconsistent on offense at the tailend of the season. It seemed we got away from the running game, and relied on Romo to work his magic. But I would not call it "less then stellar". It was still an effective offense, and will get better as Romo progresses.

Edit: I AM NO LONGER A ROOKIE 8). Took forever to get to 500.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:44 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Congrats. I agree with you that giving up on the run was a bad idea. We got too confident in Romo. Don't get me wrong, I love Romo, but we're a team built to run the ball. I'm sure we'll figure it out this time around on offense. The only two concens I have on offense (other than RG) are 1) A future at WR and 2) A backup QB to develop. That being said, I think a future at WR is a big concern, especially if Crayton bolts. I wouldn't mind seeing Bowe in the 1st.

BoneKrusher
Old 02-05-2007, 09:11 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

On a side note, I want to see Julius Jones back returning kicks this year.

BoneKrusher
Old 02-05-2007, 09:18 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
???????????

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:40 PM    (permalink
bigmac076
Veteran

bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
uh... you mean Tyson Thompson right?
Old 02-05-2007, 09:54 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

IDC who the coach is, the Cowboys are winning super bowl 42, and Tony Joseph Romo will be the MVP, and I will become admin of nfldraftcountdown.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:20 PM    (permalink
Gribble
Pro Bowler

Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodachu
IDC who the coach is, the Cowboys are winning super bowl 42, and Tony Joseph Romo will be the MVP, and I will become admin of nfldraftcountdown.
Sig quote.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:28 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Not back as in he did it before, back as in the back of the formation. You know, back to receive the kick? He did it at ND and did it well. I'd like to see him there just to see if he can make an impact there.

BoneKrusher
Old 02-05-2007, 10:53 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Not back as in he did it before, back as in the back of the formation. You know, back to receive the kick? He did it at ND and did it well. I'd like to see him there just to see if he can make an impact there.
Personally, I'm fine with the job Tyson and Miles did this season...they both had very solid averages, and I don't want to see Julius get hurt again.