Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 03-21-2007, 02:37 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

robert_in_bigd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano View Post
Last year Ayodele easily outperformed James.

First half of the season James played better. Second half he fell off a cliff -- particularly in coverage. The TE and FB/RB coverage problems in no small way has lots to do with Bradie.
robert_in_bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:19 PM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So... David Carr's about to be thrown on his ass... What does everyone think of him as a backup to push Romo in Dallas for the starting job?
shane_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:38 PM    (permalink
Im_a_Romosexual
Pro Bowler

Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

no too expensive and we signed johnson although hes old and Romo is the man for us next year
Im_a_Romosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:44 PM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_a_Romosexual View Post
no too expensive and we signed johnson although hes old and Romo is the man for us next year
Realistically though its only expensive this year... After which we will have surely made the decision who our starting QB is... Romo is currently only on contract for this year. Johnson i assume can be cut at just about any time... and if Romo doesnt recover from last year... We are left in the same hole as the last five years with nothing to cover our butts.

At least with Carr we have a QB with starting experience(every game of the last four seasons)... Hes been hit so often he feels like a tackling dummy but he still gets up which shows hes durable. And he plays a little like Romo from what i have seen anyway.

If the price is right i think we should definately make a run for him...
shane_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:14 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_man View Post
Realistically though its only expensive this year... After which we will have surely made the decision who our starting QB is... Romo is currently only on contract for this year. Johnson i assume can be cut at just about any time... and if Romo doesnt recover from last year... We are left in the same hole as the last five years with nothing to cover our butts.

At least with Carr we have a QB with starting experience(every game of the last four seasons)... Hes been hit so often he feels like a tackling dummy but he still gets up which shows hes durable. And he plays a little like Romo from what i have seen anyway.

If the price is right i think we should definately make a run for him...
I agree...for the right price he would be valuable. Not only for his talent and experience but also for the leverage he would give us in our contract negotiations with Romo here in the near future.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 11:25 AM    (permalink
dpl85
Pro Bowler

dpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

We're negotiating with Ken Hamlin today per the Ticket radio station in Dallas. I doubt Jerry would let him get out of town without a signed contract. I like the signing but I think he's really more of a SS and I hope this doesn't preclude us from taking a FS in the first like Reggie Nelson.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:49 AM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I feel the same, he would of been a SS if it wasn't for Boulware. But he should still be a abit of upgrade when it comes to coverage. And probably on passing downs we'll see him and Watkins out there at the same time.
Paul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 01:28 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I feel the same, he would of been a SS if it wasn't for Boulware. But he should still be a abit of upgrade when it comes to coverage. And probably on passing downs we'll see him and Watkins out there at the same time.
Sit Roy on passing downs? Sort of defeats the point of saying he "needs to play in the box more to be effective?"

For that, you might as well play an additional LB and get more run support / blitzing potential. A 3-5-3 of sorts.

Not sure I get all talk of rotating Roy. If he can't play SS -- then he can't play SS. SS needs to be able to cover as well as run support seemlessly. Put him back at FS like when he was a rookie and play predominantly man-up coverage -- these fress him into his Rover spot we all talk of.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:30 PM    (permalink
TNewFan41
Veteran

TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.

Per NFL.com, Justin Blalock is coming for a visit, what do you think of that?
Old 03-22-2007, 03:34 PM    (permalink
mtmock
Rookie

mtmock needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_in_bigd View Post
Sit Roy on passing downs? Sort of defeats the point of saying he "needs to play in the box more to be effective?"

For that, you might as well play an additional LB and get more run support / blitzing potential. A 3-5-3 of sorts.

Not sure I get all talk of rotating Roy. If he can't play SS -- then he can't play SS. SS needs to be able to cover as well as run support seemlessly. Put him back at FS like when he was a rookie and play predominantly man-up coverage -- these fress him into his Rover spot we all talk of.
why the heck would we play him at FS! he is best at SS...FS have to be good at covering...SS not as much...i think you have the positions mixed up...he cant play free safety but is good at SS...he played SS his first year by the way thats y he was so effective...woodson was playing free...from the lack of productivity in recent years he has had to play FS at times and thats when he got burned constantly...

Dallas Cowboys 07-08 Superbowl CHAMPS!
mtmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:19 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Uh guys.. I dunno what the argument is about... but if Hamlin signs, he'll be our starting FS and Roy will stay where he is.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:33 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmock View Post
why the heck would we play him at FS! he is best at SS...FS have to be good at covering...SS not as much...i think you have the positions mixed up...he cant play free safety but is good at SS...he played SS his first year by the way thats y he was so effective...woodson was playing free...from the lack of productivity in recent years he has had to play FS at times and thats when he got burned constantly...
I may be nuts but Roy was a FS in the Campo 4-3. He did little coverage because Woodson/Coakley covered the TE most of the time and they played mostly man. Roy was a FS in the sense he was a safety and was "free" to roam. So he could play with more abandon near the line.

Labels are not of interest to me (so if I mis-spoke I apologize) but I am interested moreso in how he was used. The SS position in the current Cowboys scheme was similar tp what Woodie and Coakley played in some form back in '02.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:37 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Uh guys.. I dunno what the argument is about... but if Hamlin signs, he'll be our starting FS and Roy will stay where he is.
Depends on how Wade uses his FS and Corners. I dunno much about his system. If we go Cover 1 you are right -- Hamlin in Centerfield.

Cover 0 probably not. Cover 0 will likely free Roy to blitz or play near the line with Hamlin picking up the TE.

Maybe I am crazy but my assumption is the SS primary role in coverage is the TE and Roy is bad at that.

Can someone comment properly on that.

Last edited by robert_in_bigd : 03-22-2007 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:48 PM    (permalink
mtmock
Rookie

mtmock needs more cowbell.

Quote:
I may be nuts but Roy was a FS in the Campo 4-3. He did little coverage because Woodson/Coakley covered the TE most of the time and they played mostly man. Roy was a FS in the sense he was a safety and was "free" to roam. So he could play with more abandon near the line.

Labels are not of interest to me (so if I mis-spoke I apologize) but I am interested moreso in how he was used. The SS position in the current Cowboys scheme was similar tp what Woodie and Coakley played in some form back in '02.
in a sense you are right, but roy williams is a SS in the sense that is the safety that hits...the FS is the cover guy, kind of like a 3rd corner who hits harder...the labels can mislead...but he has struggled covering as a FS and is a top3 SS in the league...i hope we move him around more and that is what wade plans to do

Dallas Cowboys 07-08 Superbowl CHAMPS!
mtmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:44 AM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmock View Post
in a sense you are right, but roy williams is a SS in the sense that is the safety that hits...the FS is the cover guy, kind of like a 3rd corner who hits harder...the labels can mislead...but he has struggled covering as a FS and is a top3 SS in the league...i hope we move him around more and that is what wade plans to do
SS is a safety that hits? No wonder we have issues at SS. We completely are confusing that position with a LB. I am sorry to say too much ESPN "Jacked-Up" highlights are confusing us. Take a look at this article, it may help us all understand what a SS is supposed to do......

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news.cf...7C16E92C35AB73

Someone else posted it but it certainly helps.

Roy given what he wants to do and the fact that no coach seems to be able to fix his lack of disipline needs to go BACK to FS in a Cover 0 scheme where he can freelance. Assuming we want to "put Roy in a position to contribute." {Code words for "not a good team mate"}. You want to move him around and play rover ---- make him a FS. And no, he is not a top 3 SS and never was. He can't cover a TE and if you can't then it is like saying you are a top 3 receiver but have bad hands.

SS is a position that requires discipline more than big hits. Again, maybe I am nuts but I think most fans are really confused about what a SS does in a base 4-3 or base 3-4.

Hitting is nice but a "positive residue" of playing the position properly.

Last edited by robert_in_bigd : 03-23-2007 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:26 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

That's a nice article you found Robert...and I agree with your points on people's impression of what a safety should do.

To bump this topic back up to the top let's hear early projections on the Cowboys record next year. I'll start off with 10-6, the same record I've predicted for the past 3 seasons.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:32 PM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
SS is a safety that hits? No wonder we have issues at SS. We completely are confusing that position with a LB. I am sorry to say too much ESPN "Jacked-Up" highlights are confusing us. Take a look at this article, it may help us all understand what a SS is supposed to do......

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news.cf...7C16E92C35AB73

Someone else posted it but it certainly helps.

Roy given what he wants to do and the fact that no coach seems to be able to fix his lack of disipline needs to go BACK to FS in a Cover 0 scheme where he can freelance. Assuming we want to "put Roy in a position to contribute." {Code words for "not a good team mate"}. You want to move him around and play rover ---- make him a FS. And no, he is not a top 3 SS and never was. He can't cover a TE and if you can't then it is like saying you are a top 3 receiver but have bad hands.

SS is a position that requires discipline more than big hits. Again, maybe I am nuts but I think most fans are really confused about what a SS does in a base 4-3 or base 3-4.

Hitting is nice but a "positive residue" of playing the position properly.

Historically you are correct. The problem now is that the TE's in the league right now are far more athletic than in the past. Shockey, Gates, Crumpler, Gonzalez, KWII all present a problem that Roy Williams can't possibly cover. Neither can any LB. In a perfect situation you'd play Nickle and blitz Roy and have the Anthony Henry (or other Big CB) cover the TE if the other team has a TE of that caliber.

Roy does fine against teams that don't have athletic TE's. Problem is Washington, NYG, and to a lesser extent Philly all have them.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.
LSUALUM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 11:10 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUALUM99 View Post
Historically you are correct. The problem now is that the TE's in the league right now are far more athletic than in the past. Shockey, Gates, Crumpler, Gonzalez, KWII all present a problem that Roy Williams can't possibly cover. Neither can any LB. In a perfect situation you'd play Nickle and blitz Roy and have the Anthony Henry (or other Big CB) cover the TE if the other team has a TE of that caliber.

Roy does fine against teams that don't have athletic TE's. Problem is Washington, NYG, and to a lesser extent Philly all have them.
So to build on your point what we really need is a change in scheme and a real SS that can cover. Simply keeping Roy at SS and saying "play him near the line" is bad football. That is why I say make him a FS without any real coverage responsibility and force your corners into man.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:17 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
So to build on your point what we really need is a change in scheme and a real SS that can cover. Simply keeping Roy at SS and saying "play him near the line" is bad football. That is why I say make him a FS without any real coverage responsibility and force your corners into man.
The FS is the centerfield and play far behind the LOS. Roy gives the best of himself playing near the line...

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:55 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Roy at FS is a nightmarish thought.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:49 AM    (permalink
TNewFan41
Veteran

TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.

Did anyone see Roy sucking at the LOS towards the end of the year too? Because I sure did. I don't remember one bone-crushing roy williams type hit in the last 6 games. Maybe he was hurt, or something, idk, but if this team can live up to the talent it has, Roy better get his act together.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:26 AM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Well I think it's fair to say that our 3-4 Scheme last year wasn't the best. Wade was brought in specifically to adjust the scheme, which I'm sure he'll do.

I think that Roy is better near the line of scrimmage, but that doesn't mean the scheme won't allow him to be more effective than he has been in the past away from it either.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.
LSUALUM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 02:08 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNewFan41 View Post
Did anyone see Roy sucking at the LOS towards the end of the year too? Because I sure did. I don't remember one bone-crushing roy williams type hit in the last 6 games. Maybe he was hurt, or something, idk, but if this team can live up to the talent it has, Roy better get his act together.
So is it merely the bone crushing hits that reflects how good his play was? He had an interception against Seattle in the playoffs, had 7 tackles against Detroit, 6 tackles against Atlanta in a big time win, 7 tackles in another big time win over the Giants, had another INT against the Bucs in that win...

Interestingly, the 2 blow out games we had in the loss to New Orleans and Philly, Roy failed to show up big on the stat sheet. That could either show how much we need him to play well in order for us to win... or that we lost because the whole team did bad and Roy's play was not the determining factor.

I'll side with the latter. Roy may have had bad games vs. NOR and PHI... but so did the entire team.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:22 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Roy's worst game was easily Carolina. Keyshawn made it his mission to shut him down against the run, and he did.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 02:43 PM    (permalink
dpl85
Pro Bowler

dpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

We're opening the 07 season at home against the Giants on September 9 at 7:15 on NBC. We're also going to host the Jets on Thanksgiving on CBS at 3:15. The full schedule will be released on April 5 I heard on the Ticket.

My prediction is 11-5, seems like a reasonable improvement.