Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 09-03-2010, 04:07 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
I was shocked when I saw the final box score. Never would have guessed Mcgee would go for 300. ha. It's encouraging, at least. I havent liked what I've seen at all....but this is certainly a step in the right direction. And he saved his ass with that performance.

And I agree with the guys who want O-Line. Hell, RT may be a priortity early on. Colombo hasnt looked good since returning from last year's injury and he's not even healthy now.
The emergence of Sam Young this training camp is what ultimately moved Brewster to LT. I'm pretty sure we found a keeper in young. Barrons deal is done after this year and I expect we won't touch OT in the draft unless some serious talent falls.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:11 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da-Phins View Post
Pat McQuistan got traded to the Dolphins.

What can you all tell me about him?
Meh. When Sparano was here, all the coaches loved him. He's fallen from grace. Some used to think he was a future starting T...but he's since moved to G and hasnt looked great for a while. Like Procter...the coaches just seemed to love the guy for whatever reason.

I didnt even hear about this. What did we get?

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:12 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
The emergence of Sam Young this training camp is what ultimately moved Brewster to LT. I'm pretty sure we found a keeper in young. Barrons deal is done after this year and I expect we won't touch OT in the draft unless some serious talent falls.
I doubt we put all our eggs in the Sam Young basket. lol. That sounds wierd. I hope we go T fairly early.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 09-03-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:14 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A lot of people are mad that we only recieved a 7th for Crayton. But he already requested to be dropped...we got a 7th round pick to have a team locker room. He was easily worth his money to Jerry...however not the headache.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 09-03-2010, 04:14 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Victor Butler quietly had an outstanding preseason. Finished 5th in the league in tackles and 2nd in sacks. Obviously lead our team in both categories, as well.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 09-03-2010, 04:16 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I doubt we put all our eggs in the Sam Young basket. lol. That sounds wierd. I hope we go T fairly early.
Brewster has been setup to be our future Swing tackle all training camp and the organization likes Young....you really see us going OT early? I guess going talent over a former 6th round pick isn't a crazy thought...I'm just sold that we found something in Young. Rather go interior OL where we have nothing.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 09-03-2010, 04:17 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

The McQ trade just says and undisclosed pick. Hey...I'm not complaining. He had no shot at making the roster.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 09-03-2010, 04:18 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Meh. When Sparano was here, all the coaches loved him. He's fallen from grace. Some used to think he was a future starting T...but he's since moved to G and hasnt looked great for a while. Like Procter...the coaches just seemed to love the guy for whatever reason.

I didnt even hear about this. What did we get?
undisclosed 2011 pick

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 09-03-2010, 04:23 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
Brewster has been setup to be our future Swing tackle all training camp and the organization likes Young....you really see us going OT early? I guess going talent over a former 6th round pick isn't a crazy thought...I'm just sold that we found something in Young. Rather go interior OL where we have nothing.
We need to pick up a couple of OL. And Young playing well is encouraging, but you're just asking for trouble if you fail to address the position. Young could be the next Colombo. But he could also end up like any of the other hyped late round O-Lineman we've had over the years. I'd rather have several options. And I'm really ready to invest high picks along the line. Its been neglected for too long. I'd love a higher tier of talent/prospect at G and T.

As for Brewster...I'm still not sold these he's a tackle. Sometimes he looks good, sometime he looks downright awful. This is essentially his rookie year, so there is still time. But still. I dont think it's a given that he's our future swing tackle or starting RT.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 09-03-2010, 04:23 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Essentially Dallas traded Patrick Crayton for Josh Brent...when you look at it like that it's kinda funny.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 09-03-2010, 04:25 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da-Phins View Post
And can you actually give me a scouting report on him besides him being a turd?
Parcells had a terrible track record for bringing in OL help for the Cowboys and McQuistan is among them. Marco Rivera, Ryan Young, Rob Pettite, EJ Whitley, Jacob Rogers, Al Johnson... off the top of my head... I guess another description I could give McQuistan is "crap".

Seriously, don't expect anything out of him.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:26 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

I don't think we need to touch tackle. Brewster and Young are fine developmental for now on the right side, and colombo has atleast 2 good years left.

Like I said, I have a meeting with every starting O-Lineman but Free obviously, saying it's still their jobs untill they decline or a younger guy clearly outplays them, so don't go pulling a Crayton if we draft a lineman or 2 in the first 2 rounds. It's a business. Kyle, Andre, and Leonard are all good dudes, so I think it would be fine.

Look at the effect Pouncey is having on the steelers. Interior o-line picks are almost automatic. It isn't sexy, but it needs to be done. Unless an unbelievable value has fallen, just take the best C/OG.

End of story. No argument.
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:28 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm all for bringing in OG help. Just not in the 1st round. Yeeeuck. Gimme a DE or S.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:30 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

Quote:
We need to pick up a couple of OL. And Young playing well is encouraging, but you're just asking for trouble if you fail to address the position. Young could be the next Colombo. But he could also end up like any of the other hyped late round O-Lineman we've had over the years. I'd rather have several options. And I'm really ready to invest high picks along the line. Its been neglected for too long. I'd love a higher tier of talent/prospect at G and T.

As for Brewster...I'm still not sold these he's a tackle. Sometimes he looks good, sometime he looks downright awful. This is essentially his rookie year, so there is still time. But still. I dont think it's a given that he's our future swing tackle or starting RT.
Jerry's tactic of ignoring the O-Line and addressing it with either high priced aging free agents, or late round picks who shouldn't possibly be on an NFL team obviously hasn't work.

We took felix, we took Dez, we took Martellus, it's time to spend high rounders on the O-Line. It's not even an opinion. It's a fact.

I'll take a DE, S, CB, or a rediculous talent if it falls, but if the board looks level and the best C/OG is an option, Goodell is calling my pick in 10 seconds.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:30 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:

Hell I would have loved to see Brewster inside to know if maybe we had something. But for whatever stupid reason that didn't happen. Barron going down for an extended period of time probably had something to do with it. Then Young going down didn't help either at the end when Barron came back.

But as you look at this draft class and our upcoming needs. DE/OG are the top 2. S is probably a close 3rd depending on how you view Hamlin and AOA.

Kosiers contract is up after this year..something to think about. Holland is under contract one more year...could we really start the season with Holland at LG? This is something interesting to think about...but seems like we've had better success running and passing with guys like Free and Kosier than with guys like Gurode and Davis? Anyone else think we might be making a move to more athletic guys? Seems like we don't ever just ram it down a teams throat....you saw us get exposed in STL in the running game for this specific reason. Just didn't have the speed on the pulls and we got blown up. This is something ot think about. I know Houck likes his lines big....but Garrett doesn't call a smash mouth game...something to mull over.

This DE class is going to be amazing. I'd be willing to be a fair share of money that we go with a 5-tech in the first round. Which forces OL to an already deep spot of the 2nd round...finding starters that far down at OT just don't happen that frequently vs. the first round. You can however find some decent interior OL in the 2-4th range. Just something to think about also.

This safety class also looks deep...so a 2nd tier S could be on the board and for whatever reason maybe Ball doesn't work out and we don't think AOA is ready...or Hamlin is a starter. Just some more food for thought.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 09-03-2010, 04:32 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I'm all for bringing in OG help. Just not in the 1st round. Yeeeuck. Gimme a DE or S.
But D-Unit, the difference between a first round guard and even the second round is huge. If the guard is legit worth a first round grade, then you take him. They are almost can't miss. Now im not for reaching for a guard with 2nd-3rd round value at 32 (hehe), but if he warrants the selection, it's a no brainer to me. Someone nasty too. Im not for some 300 pound pass blocker.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:33 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

I'm not sold on Colombo either. He has looked god awful since coming back. He's been a revolving door. I'm def. worried about him.

I dont really want to go G in the 1st. I have no problem with Kosier or Davis. But 2nd on, I'd be just fine with. I hope our 2nd and 3rd round picks are G/T. And I wouldnt be opposed to going RT potentially in the 1st if Colombo's struggles continue. He's signed through 2012, but if he's getting Romo killed, he's replaceable.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 09-03-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:38 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

Quote:
I'm not sold on Colombo either. He has looked god awful since coming back. He's been a revolving door. I'm def. worried about him.

I dont really want to go G in the 1st. I have no problem with Kosier or Davis. But 2nd on, I'd be just fine with. I hope our 2nd and 3rd round picks are G/T. And I wouldnt be opposed to going RT potentially in the 1st if Colombo's struggles continue. He's signed through 2012, but if he's getting Romo killed, he's replaceable.
Colombo wasn't ready last year when he came back, and this knee thing has been lingering for years according to sources. Now that its taken care of, he should be full go. And i like him. You need a colombo.

And thule, the fact that one of our top 2 needs is looking for a future OG, just shows how well our team is built for the future.

As for safety, AOA and Ball are the wild cards. Sensabaugh is a JAG. If Ball plays well this year, do you wait to develop AOA, or do you finally take that first round safety? If ball struggles, then I think safety is a no brainer. I want AOA to succeed, i love the guy, so I'm only for a safety if Ball struggles. First round atleast.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:39 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

No way Holland ever starts here. We've had interest in some early round Gs in the past...they always seem to be taken a few picks before us, though. So I wouldnt rule out G in the first, with Kosier being an FA. That said, Kosier could probably be extended for cheap and he's been great for us.

But yeah, we need to get younger and we need some established college talent, opposed to later round developmental players.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 09-03-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:41 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
Colombo wasn't ready last year when he came back, and this knee thing has been lingering for years according to sources. Now that its taken care of, he should be full go. And i like him. You need a colombo.

And thule, the fact that one of our top 2 needs is looking for a future OG, just shows how well our team is built for the future.

As for safety, AOA and Ball are the wild cards. Sensabaugh is a JAG. If Ball plays well this year, do you wait to develop AOA, or do you finally take that first round safety? If ball struggles, then I think safety is a no brainer. I want AOA to succeed, i love the guy, so I'm only for a safety if Ball struggles. First round atleast.
I've always liked Colombo. But the fact remains that he still looked like **** this preseason, prior to injury. He may never be the same.

As for being well built...a whole lot of good those weapons do us, when you cant keep your QB off his back. The O-line has been neglected and it may end up costing us dearly...as early as this year.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 09-03-2010, 04:45 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

Quote:
I've always liked Colombo. But the fact remains that he still looked like **** this preseason, prior to injury. He may never be the same.

As for being well built...a whole lot of good those weapons do us, when you cant keep your QB off his back. The O-line has been neglected and it may end up costing us dearly...as early as this year.
That's why Im saying drafting o-line high...

And no, Colombo's knee has been messed up the entire preseason and he wouldnt tell coaches, it took gurode to go say something.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:55 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
That's why Im saying drafting o-line high...

And no, Colombo's knee has been messed up the entire preseason and he wouldnt tell coaches, it took gurode to go say something.
He's a 300+ lb offensive lineman...knee injuries shouldnt be taken lighlty. Dont be surprised if he's terrible this year.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 09-03-2010, 04:59 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

If I'm predicting the draft I think it goes something like this.

DE - one of the nasty 5-tech's in this years class will fall. If I had to pick a name I thought would be available here it's probably Allen Bailey Miami. I think someone better will be available..but he's a safe bet...Don't buy top 15 talk regardless of workouts.

Actually after looking at how incredibily deep this class is you can probably find a 5-tech in the 2nd round. A guy like Jared Crick who I love could be sitting there...be interesting to see how this plays out...but there is a TON of talent at DE this year.

If 5-tech class is infact deep enough then I think it's a no brainer to go with a top OL investment in the first.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 09-03-2010, 05:01 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

Quote:
If I'm predicting the draft I think it goes something like this.

DE - one of the nasty 5-tech's in this years class will fall. If I had to pick a name I thought would be available here it's probably Allen Bailey Miami. I think someone better will be available..but he's a safe bet...Don't buy top 15 talk regardless of workouts.

Actually after looking at how incredibily deep this class is you can probably find a 5-tech in the 2nd round. A guy like Jared Crick who I love could be sitting there...be interesting to see how this plays out...but there is a TON of talent at DE this year.

If 5-tech class is infact deep enough then I think it's a no brainer to go with a top OL investment in the first.
I haven't really been studying this years upcoming prospects yet, what about Safeties?
Old 09-03-2010, 05:05 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

We get a 6th round pick if Crayton catches 40 or more passes.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS