Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 11-12-2010, 09:27 PM    (permalink
baghdadbob
Rookie

baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
....no way can you paint Austin as a problem off the field.
I did? Where did I do that?
baghdadbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:29 PM    (permalink
baghdadbob
Rookie

baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
..... get better value in return. .......
No, that is not the idea. Not to get better value b/c it won't happen but get some value back in other positions of deep need.

When you got tooo many bananas, no matter how much you like bananas, it is not a bad idea to trade them for apples even if you don't like apples as much.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:43 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baghdadbob View Post
I did? Where did I do that?
I didn't say you did...but in the context i was using "you" as like the person who would say Austin is bad off the field. That doesn't make a ton of sense...but I just meant there wasn't ANYONE who could say Austin is a trouble maker or cancer. My b

Quote:
you don't pay players to play for other teams unless they are cancerous....no way can you paint Austin as a problem off the field.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:02 PM    (permalink
baghdadbob
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
I didn't say you did...but in the context i was using "you" as like the person who would say Austin is bad off the field. That doesn't make a ton of sense...but I just meant there wasn't ANYONE who could say Austin is a trouble maker or cancer. My b
So I am like someone who might say he is a bad influence in spite of the fact no one thinks he is a bad influence? Come again?

Bro, all I said very early on if you read is we need to consider trading from positions of strength in order to shore up our weaknesses.

Romo if Luck is around. Witten. Austin. MBIII. Choice. Come to mind as possible players. Also some undervalued guys like Bowen, Hatcher, etc.

At 1-7 with our recent player personnel mistakes it makes sense to take a fresh look at everything -- even if it sounds taboo.

But, hey, maybe better coaching is enuff and we need no changes whatsoever outside of the draft and a spot FA.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:37 AM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baghdadbob
So I am like someone who might say he is a bad influence in spite of the fact no one thinks he is a bad influence? Come again?

Bro, all I said very early on if you read is we need to consider trading from positions of strength in order to shore up our weaknesses.

Romo if Luck is around. Witten. Austin. MBIII. Choice. Come to mind as possible players. Also some undervalued guys like Bowen, Hatcher, etc.

At 1-7 with our recent player personnel mistakes it makes sense to take a fresh look at everything -- even if it sounds taboo.

But, hey, maybe better coaching is enuff and we need no changes whatsoever outside of the draft and a spot FA.
Not a slight on Jerry or anything but no GM on the planet is going to be willing to trade a player for the likes of Miles Austin/Jason Witten. Still way to productive and thus no team has the pieces to trade fair market value.(which has to be considered in a league which already has massive Anti-trust issues with congress)

It's a pipe dream spawned straight out of Madden.

Now trading Miles Austin is ******* ridiculous. Yes we currently have the luxury of having three potentially Pro Bowl recievers. But with the lack of progress of our depth this year it would be ridiculous to trade our best reciever.(any reciever based on that previous information)

I can understand the idea of trading Witten with Bennett sitting there waiting for work. But there has been a total lack of faith in him from the coaching staff. That there is a worrying sign. At the moment you could probably buy Witten as the fourth reciever. Utilising Bennett as your blocking TE. It's still very tough to expect the Cowboys to trade away the greatest TE in franchise history. I guess it's a matter of getting the correct type of offer(2nd round pick) You definately wouldn't get a player for player trade.(Might have considered Gaither for Witten trade earlier in the year)

Romo trade is beyond belief stupidity. There is NOTHING you could get in return that would ve a)fair market value and b) How often do teams trade for Pro Bowl Quarterbacks coming off injuries that DON'T effect there throwing arm. This is a broken bone. Not a Shoulder muscle injury like Brees.

As for drafting QB with the first overall pick. What happens when he can't usurp Romo for five or so years? Drafted QB will be traded long before that. But what are the chances we can capitalise and nab two firsts with such a trade? Even if it's simply to trade out of the spot. You need a buyer willing to bet the farm on him.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:56 AM    (permalink
baghdadbob
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_man View Post
Not a slight on Jerry or anything but no GM on the planet is going to be willing to trade a player for the likes of Miles Austin/Jason Witten. Still way to productive and thus no team has the pieces to trade fair market value.(which has to be considered in a league which already has massive Anti-trust issues with congress)

It's a pipe dream spawned straight out of Madden.

Now trading Miles Austin is ******* ridiculous. Yes we currently have the luxury of having three potentially Pro Bowl recievers. But with the lack of progress of our depth this year it would be ridiculous to trade our best reciever.(any reciever based on that previous information)

I can understand the idea of trading Witten with Bennett sitting there waiting for work. But there has been a total lack of faith in him from the coaching staff. That there is a worrying sign. At the moment you could probably buy Witten as the fourth reciever. Utilising Bennett as your blocking TE. It's still very tough to expect the Cowboys to trade away the greatest TE in franchise history. I guess it's a matter of getting the correct type of offer(2nd round pick) You definately wouldn't get a player for player trade.(Might have considered Gaither for Witten trade earlier in the year)

Romo trade is beyond belief stupidity. There is NOTHING you could get in return that would ve a)fair market value and b) How often do teams trade for Pro Bowl Quarterbacks coming off injuries that DON'T effect there throwing arm. This is a broken bone. Not a Shoulder muscle injury like Brees.

As for drafting QB with the first overall pick. What happens when he can't usurp Romo for five or so years? Drafted QB will be traded long before that. But what are the chances we can capitalise and nab two firsts with such a trade? Even if it's simply to trade out of the spot. You need a buyer willing to bet the farm on him.
To each his own but it is equally stupid in my eyes to (again) fall in love with players and call them un-trade-able -- all the while seeing their trade value decrease and then being forced to cut them b/c their contracts are too big.

As a note, Romo is 31 by start of next year, he is not a kid. Folks still talk about him like he is 24. Romo is past his prime physically and mentally he has not progressed much. Very good NFL QB but how far can he take this team before he becomes OLD? Peyton won his first at that age in spite of being vastly superior player to Tony.

I think many folks here are vastly over rating what Romo can accomplish for this organization in the coming years. Unless he becomes a game manager with great running game and stout D -- you might have a Danny White situation. Even took the great Tom Landry took 5-6 years with some great teams to figure that out and by the time he did the talent level of those teams got very old. They did not replace anyone thinking "Next Year" and had poor drafts.

Sound like a familiar path?

Last edited by baghdadbob : 11-13-2010 at 07:00 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:27 AM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baghdadbob
To each his own but it is equally stupid in my eyes to (again) fall in love with players and call them un-trade-able -- all the while seeing their trade value decrease and then being forced to cut them b/c their contracts are too big.
Like I said. The Witten trade example makes a fair bit of sense. We won't get a player for him and the best bet is finding a team looking for a quality veteran reciever(and safety blanket) for a young QB. I would definately consider contacting Detroit and St Louis in the offseason. But it would be much better for them to contact us. You do not want to "shop" a beloved player like Witten. Especially when it's realistic to think we could be right back to challenging again next year.

Quote:
As a note, Romo is 31 by start of next year, he is not a kid. Folks still talk about him like he is 24. Romo is past his prime physically and mentally he has not progressed much. Very good NFL QB but how far can he take this team before he becomes OLD? Peyton won his first at that age in spite of being vastly superior player to Tony.
He's not young. But at the same time. He hasn't got anywhere near the tread on his tires that Manning has. He could easily play for 5 or 6 years at a quality level.

I'm a little confused by your use of the line "in spite of being vastly superior to Tony"... How would him winning be in spite of being a better QB? Maybe i am misinterpreting...

Quote:
I think many folks here are vastly over rating what Romo can accomplish for this organization in the coming years. Unless he becomes a game manager with great running game and stout D -- you might have a Danny White situation. Even took the great Tom Landry took 5-6 years with some great teams to figure that out and by the time he did the talent level of those teams got very old. They did not replace anyone thinking "Next Year" and had poor drafts.

Sound like a familiar path?
Danny White was a good QB. We just couldn't get it done in the 80's. Remember there was a ridiculous amount of quality in the 80's and we were playing in the toughest division on the planet at the time. I do get the possibility of the comparison between White and Romo.

But like I said before. Where are you going to get a trade partner for a top 10 QB in the league? AND to top that off. You have to be certain Locker is going to be a Manning type QB(like once in a lifetime) to justify trading away that type of quality QB.

It's not that there are so many things wrong with the idea of moving our most valuable assets. It's finding legitimate trade partners. Without putting out word that you want to trade off your best pieces. It's also putting faith into the organisation to absolutely NAIL every decision they make during the process. You don't want to trade away Witten and find out Phillips and Bennett can't handle that workload.(nor the responsibility). You don't want to trade Romo away and get Ryan Leaf in return.

Also assuming there is a coaching change in the offseason. Can you imagine anyone that would want to take the job on and trade Romo for Locker?

It's not just hard for the supporter base to digest. It would be hard to justify that to a coaching staff. It would be hard to justify that to a GM... Let alone Jerry who has had to spend 10 odd years chasing a replacement for Aikman.

So outside a few outside the box thinkers(none of which would coach in the NFL.) It's not really a slur for the posters on NFLDC not to buy into the idea of trading away your most profitable and talented assets.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:05 AM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Johnson & Switzer's take on Dallas

From Friday's LA Times sports:

Jimmy Johnson, Barry Switzer see some big problems in Big D
The former coaches, who each led the Cowboys to Super Bowl victories, say there's a lot of blame to go around for the current 1-7 team. But they differ on how much of the trouble can be pinned on Dallas owner Jerry Jones.

Sam Farmer
sam.farmer@latimes.com

6:22 PM PST, November 11, 2010

The Dallas Cowboys thought they might be the last team standing. Now, they could be the first team drafting.

So how does a proud franchise miss the mark in such a spectacular way, following its most promising season in a decade by losing seven of its first eight games?

Is it all coaching? What role does Cowboys owner Jerry Jones play? How do those players essentially the same group that won a playoff game last season allow themselves to be embarrassed the way they were in Sunday's 45-7 loss at Green Bay?

To find some answers, I called Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer, the only living coaches to have led the Cowboys to Super Bowl victories. (Johnson won two, matching the total of Tom Landry, and Switzer won one.)

While Johnson and Switzer agreed about the lack of effort and emotion with the 2010 Cowboys, they differed on how much blame Jones deserves responses reflective of their polar-opposite working relationships with the owner during their coaching days.

"The problem with the Cowboys is you're not real sure who the leader is and therein lies the problem," said Johnson, now a "Fox NFL Sunday" analyst. "Their players haven't answered to the head coach, and I think that's a problem."

Despite the coaching switch from Wade Phillips to Jason Garrett Johnson doesn't think that will change. By his thinking, Jones will always loom largest.

"Jerry will never change," he said. "Jerry wants to be right in the middle of it. That's why he paid all that money to buy them.

"Stephen is such a huge part of the process too," he added, referring to Jones' son, the club's chief operating officer. "So that's family. And when it comes to family, there's no stronger bond. Jerry's not going to change because his family's so involved."

Switzer said he never had an issue with Jones' involvement, said it didn't seep into the game-day decisions, and praised the owner for his financial commitment to winning.

"Jerry Jones does not have one thing to do with what happens on that football field, I promise you," Switzer said. "Jerry is the biggest supporter. He's willing to put up money. He competes. A lot of guys who own football teams in that league do not even compete for a Super Bowl. Jerry wants to win Super Bowls. He'll put his money up, he'll write the big checks.

"He never interfered with me, never did one thing. Hell, he wasn't even around. Jimmy didn't let him around; that was the problem they had."

Both Johnson and Switzer praised Phillips as a good coach, although neither said the Cowboys made the wrong move in firing him.

"The easiest scapegoat is Wade," Johnson said. "But it's hard to put it all on just one person. They've been a sloppy team the past two or three years with penalties and turnovers. They've put up a lot of yards. But they've made critical mistakes that have cost them games. That's been a disappointment.

"But this year, it's just been a lack of effort. Obviously the effort has something to do with not only the performance on the field, but also their preparation."

For Switzer, effort and emotion are interchangeable. If a team is playing without emotion, it's surely not making the effort required to win games and a lot of that is up to the coach.

"Everybody can get the mental and the physical down, but it's the emotional part," he said. "That's why coaches know they've got to go if that arrow is pointed down. And it was pointed down for Wade, big time. He knew he had to go."

Switzer said he saw the same lack of emotion in the Cowboys at the end of his tenure there, when they lost the last five games of the 1997 season and finished 6-10.

He and Jones would always go out to dinner the night before a game. And it was in Cincinnati, the night before the second-to-last game, when Switzer dropped a bombshell.

"Jerry's talking about what we've got to do next year," Switzer recalled. "I looked at him we'd already had a bottle of wine and said, 'If we don't beat them tomorrow, the first thing you'd better do is fire my [butt] and hire yourself a new football coach.' It just shocked Jerry that I said that. I was serious. The arrow was pointing down."

The Bengals won that game, 31-24, and it wasn't long before Switzer stepped down. He said it's painfully obvious when a team has packed it in for the season.

"Backs don't ricochet up into those dark holes like they did when they had a chance to get into the playoffs," he said. "When they aren't going to the playoffs, they get out of bounds sooner. They get down quicker. The receivers come across the middle and they might not stretch and lay out for a ball. They would have given it all up to make a play to get in the playoffs.

"I know that from watching film when I was with the Cowboys. It's no different now. There are a few players that have the pride to do it every snap. But a lot of guys protect themselves. It's human nature."

On that, the two coaches agree. These Cowboys are as lifeless as their record suggests.

"Just the way they played the last couple of weeks, they just kind of quit," Johnson said. "That was a shocker to me."
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:04 AM    (permalink
baghdadbob
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_man View Post
Like I said. The Witten trade example makes a fair bit of sense. We won't get a player for him and the best bet is finding a team looking for a quality veteran reciever(and safety blanket) for a young QB. I would definately consider contacting Detroit and St Louis in the offseason. But it would be much better for them to contact us. You do not want to "shop" a beloved player like Witten. Especially when it's realistic to think we could be right back to challenging again next year.

He's not young. But at the same time. He hasn't got anywhere near the tread on his tires that Manning has. He could easily play for 5 or 6 years at a quality level.

I'm a little confused by your use of the line "in spite of being vastly superior to Tony"... How would him winning be in spite of being a better QB? Maybe i am misinterpreting...

Danny White was a good QB. We just couldn't get it done in the 80's. Remember there was a ridiculous amount of quality in the 80's and we were playing in the toughest division on the planet at the time. I do get the possibility of the comparison between White and Romo.

But like I said before. Where are you going to get a trade partner for a top 10 QB in the league? AND to top that off. You have to be certain Locker is going to be a Manning type QB(like once in a lifetime) to justify trading away that type of quality QB.

It's not that there are so many things wrong with the idea of moving our most valuable assets. It's finding legitimate trade partners. Without putting out word that you want to trade off your best pieces. It's also putting faith into the organisation to absolutely NAIL every decision they make during the process. You don't want to trade away Witten and find out Phillips and Bennett can't handle that workload.(nor the responsibility). You don't want to trade Romo away and get Ryan Leaf in return.

Also assuming there is a coaching change in the offseason. Can you imagine anyone that would want to take the job on and trade Romo for Locker?

It's not just hard for the supporter base to digest. It would be hard to justify that to a coaching staff. It would be hard to justify that to a GM... Let alone Jerry who has had to spend 10 odd years chasing a replacement for Aikman.

So outside a few outside the box thinkers(none of which would coach in the NFL.) It's not really a slur for the posters on NFLDC not to buy into the idea of trading away your most profitable and talented assets.
1) I agree it is really tough.
2) Luck not Locker. Locker, to me, is Jake Cutler II. Luck is as sure a thing as you can have at the top of the draft.
3) If we get #1, we have currency that trading out of would yield poor results IMHO but you never know. Maybe their is a GMen II situation like with Rivers.
4) Jones tried to find a replacement for Aikman on the cheap and failed. Plus he never had high enough choices really to draft the type of talent he wanted. Also his salary cap situation was tough and in fact had to trade down in a few drafts b/c of it.
5) Danny White, like Tony, are was very very good but not good enough to overcome the superior play/talent of other teams. Tony, to me, is very similar. Very good but not great and in games where maybe the other team is playing a little better, he can't will the win. Not a knock on Tony -- just the truth IMHO.
6) Peyton is superior to Tony and it took him some time to get there with better teams. That is what I meant.

It is a tough off season for us and Jerry will need to make some tough personnel choices to get this right.

We are very week between the hashes and it will take 3-4 drafts to get it right unless we use our edge players as currency to speed that process up.

Unless, of course, someone thinks we have the "between-the-hash-marks" personnel already on the team and simply need to remove the old-vet progress stoppers. Maybe.......... dunno, I know Pittsburgh plays its 3-4 with it OLB playing ILB on certain plays and mixing things up. Mabye some of our OLB talent can move inside and that certainly solves some things quickly.

I dunno. I just think this off season is tough b/c is this a "coaching" fluke or an endemic problem with flawed talent in some spots and too much in others.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:14 AM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

Your wrong, bro. I don't need to elaborate.
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:23 AM    (permalink
baghdadbob
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
Your wrong, bro. I don't need to elaborate.
Could be. But I think I have pretty good judgment. So, let the chips fall where they may.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:03 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

Romo isn't going anywhere. While Jerry may admit he has been wrong in other areas, he isn't gonna give up on him. And he isn't the problem. The Andrew Luck talk is nonsense. End of story.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:14 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just wondering why so many of you think that you'd have to trade Romo this year if drafted Luck? Why not hold onto Romo for a year or two to cover For Luck while you plug some holes and then trade Romo after he's gotten a chance to re-establish his trade value with a healthy year and Luck has gotten to show the coaching staff how good he could be.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Last edited by Rosebud : 11-13-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:19 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

I just realized that Scandrick is still only 23... I don't think you can give up on him yet.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:34 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Obviously he's young still...he just sucks.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:52 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
What? Kurt Warner for Manning?

Warner's only year with the Giants, was also Eli's first year. He was a stop-gap, and it didnt work out. And Warner wasnt even the starter for the Rams, his previous year in St. Louis. They moved on to Bulger. Warner's career took a turn for the worse, right before he even got to the Giants. A lot of people thought he was done. That situation is in no way the same.

As for Brees/Rivers. Brees was hardly the pro bowl talent he is today when they drafted Rivers. His breakout year came the season they selected him. No one really expected Brees to break out like he did, while Rivers sat on the bench for a year.

Ugh. You're living in a fantasy world if you think we're trading any of those guys.

Also, Warner stunk for us! He kept holding onto the ball when he played and kept getting sacked. He was terrible, and gun shy. I remember false starts penalties on him!!! The damn QB! He was pull away from center, without the ball, because he was afraid for some reason.

I think the concussions affected him, and he expected the Air C. system where Bruce and Holt would do their thing.

10 games he started and sacked 39 times, with his last against Arizona, where he got sacked 6 times! That's when Coughlin had to pull him, and go with Eli.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:00 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baghdadbob View Post
Bro, I live in the East and the Manning choice was all about the future for the GMen. Feeling was he was Peyton II and the GMen were not going to pass on that possibility. So they took a risk with the trade as well as moving Warner. To boot, it has had a real cost and looked bad for awhile as River played and other picks the GMen gave up turned in Merrimen, Kaeding and some others.

It was a gutsy move by the GMen that even today folks would say SD got the best of it.

But, let us not argue tactics, talk big ideas, strategy. Prsonnel strategy, not specific personnel.

Do you agree we have 4-5 big holes that in order to compete next year we need to trade depth (Witten, WR, RB, et al) for some young front line help?

FA ain't working cuz the GM has no cash. Draft takes time for OL, ILB, S, etc......

Your thoughts?

Well there was more to it than that..

They wanted Rivers, # 1 and Osi if I recall. They thought he would be a DeMarcus Ware type player as a OLB. However, Ernie thought that was a deal breaker. So he didn't want to trade Osi due to his potential.

Now in hindsight we won that trade.. They got Rivers, who they wanted and is a great player, but everything else was a flop.

Merriman is gone, Kaeading chokes in the playoffs..

We kept Osi, got our QB, and because we didn't have a first round pick we signed Plax, Ap, and Kareem M. all who played a big part for our team.

That draft the following year, we hit a homerun..

me College Note
2 Corey Webster Louisiana State
3 Justin Tuck Notre Dame
4 Brandon Jacobs Southern Illinois
6 Eric Moore Florida State

That's one one of the reasons why we won the superbowl. That 2004 year we got Eli, Snee and then Gilbril Wilson.

So we really built a great team.

I think now when you look back we made a great trade and then built off of that a foundation that led to the superbowl.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:58 AM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud
Just wondering why so many of you think that you'd have to trade Romo this year if drafted Luck? Why not hold onto Romo for a year or two to cover For Luck while you plug some holes and then trade Romo after he's gotten a chance to re-establish his trade value with a healthy year and Luck has gotten to show the coaching staff how good he could be.
Any way you approach the situation of trading Romo is going to feel dirty given the excitement that he basically single handedly has given us. Along with pulling us out of the hole that had been 6-10.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:07 AM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

From Barry Switzer:

Quote:
"Backs don't ricochet up into those dark holes like they did when they had a chance to get into the playoffs," he said. "When they aren't going to the playoffs, they get out of bounds sooner. They get down quicker. The receivers come across the middle and they might not stretch and lay out for a ball. They would have given it all up to make a play to get in the playoffs.

"I know that from watching film when I was with the Cowboys. It's no different now. … There are a few players that have the pride to do it every snap. But a lot of guys protect themselves. It's human nature."
Barry Switzer is a troglodyte FB coach imo whom I still detest, his assessment here is correct though, certain players give up & are looking to preserve their careers & maybe looking for greener pastures (on another team) next season, that's what I & so many of us sadly saw vs. Minnesota last Mon. night.

Isn't basic human nature what coaching & preparation & professionalism supposed to overcome?

Playoffs or no playoffs should NOT be a factor in determining if a pro lays down or not. Aren't pro players supposed to have pride in their performances even when their team is losing? Developing that falls under the HC's job description.

The new HC should have restoring player accountability & professionalism at the top of his To Do list

Last edited by LizardState : 11-14-2010 at 09:10 AM.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:43 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

anyone else watching the Pam Oliver interview with Jones?
Old 11-14-2010, 11:47 AM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

*raises hand*

Nothing new there....

I really like Garrett though, and think he's going to go on to make a great coach...just Jerruh's gonna go for the splashy rehash:(
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:32 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
*raises hand*

Nothing new there....

I really like Garrett though, and think he's going to go on to make a great coach...just Jerruh's gonna go for the splashy rehash:(
He is very annoying to watch when he interviews. He needs to give up GM duties. If he says the buck stops with him, then do something about it. You can tell though this season is taking its toll on him. I love how Pam Oliver basically said people all over are laughing at you and the cowboys. I thought she asked the right questions in the interview.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:40 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss+Manning=Banning View Post
He is very annoying to watch when he interviews. He needs to give up GM duties. If he says the buck stops with him, then do something about it. You can tell though this season is taking its toll on him. I love how Pam Oliver basically said people all over are laughing at you and the cowboys. I thought she asked the right questions in the interview.
I always hear people say that he needs to give up GM duties. Why is that exactly?

I like how Jerry said sometimes people learn from their failures. Jerry has made a lot of mistakes. There's no denying that. However, he also has his fair share of successes as well. I do think he doesn't repeat the same mistake twice very often. He's got a really great memory, and you can tell he remembers a lot whenever he is interviewed.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:04 PM    (permalink
baghdadbob
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I always hear people say that he needs to give up GM duties. Why is that exactly?

I like how Jerry said sometimes people learn from their failures. Jerry has made a lot of mistakes. There's no denying that. However, he also has his fair share of successes as well. I do think he doesn't repeat the same mistake twice very often. He's got a really great memory, and you can tell he remembers a lot whenever he is interviewed.
Do you really believe this or are you being provocative?
Old 11-14-2010, 01:07 PM    (permalink
baghdadbob
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
*raises hand*

Nothing new there....

Well if you are right and JG makes a good HC then Jerry undoing this and making a huge splash is awful.

Cowboys need a good coaching staff that teaches and promotes within, one that holds players accountable by **** canning their buts when they suck, not a personality who is going to suck the oxygen out of the room and then have a Jerry-BPJJ tug of war over credit.

Jones can't stand competition for luv. Better we get a first timer who knows what he is doing and let Jones be the ego maniac he is.