Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 08-08-2011, 02:30 PM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks

Issue has been over paying for talented players with question marks. Davis and Williams both came in with huge contracts and lots of doubters. The dead cap for 11 and 12 are mainly a result of these signings. Williams was the worst of the bunch. Particularly given how cheap WR were moved for before and after Roy.

Sensy, Kosier, etc were much more conservative and in the long run players without big deals rarely sit around and rest. They play with more attitude.
yanksknicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:34 PM    (permalink
bluebonnet78
Rookie

bluebonnet78 is a cocksman.bluebonnet78 is a cocksman.bluebonnet78 is a cocksman.

maybe with a little more cap space after restructuring, jones is holding back to see how things shake down with cuts and preseason injuries before boosting the line.

it does look pretty scary. Only lineman I'm not concerned at all about is Free. There is a rookie at RT, Gurode isn't yet healthy, and Kosier gets nicked up from time to time. I never thought Holland was an actual option as a starting lineman, but I guess Jerry thinks he can pull it off. Arkin could be a good guard down the road, but putting two rookies next to each other could get Romo killed. And Sam Young is a serious option at Swing tackle? God forbid something should happen to Free or Smith.

Well I think Flozell is still out there and so is L. Davis. Maybe Jones can bring one of them back for depth at cap friendly price.

Last edited by bluebonnet78 : 08-08-2011 at 02:39 PM.
bluebonnet78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:39 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksknicks View Post
Issue has been over paying for talented players with question marks. Davis and Williams both came in with huge contracts and lots of doubters. The dead cap for 11 and 12 are mainly a result of these signings. Williams was the worst of the bunch. Particularly given how cheap WR were moved for before and after Roy.

Sensy, Kosier, etc were much more conservative and in the long run players without big deals rarely sit around and rest. They play with more attitude.
I agree that players with big deals hardly take a rest, but I'm also not fooling myself about how good Kosier has been during his career here. Kosier has been decent, but we've had to endure some terrible play as well. His best asset really is his play calling since Gurode is completely inept.

...and Sensy last year was hardly an asset. There's a reason why NFL teams didn't rush to sign him and a reason why he only got a 1 year deal from us. He needs to play with more attitude if you ask me. I would've loved a guy like Bernard Pollard. Too bad the Ravens got him while we sat and watched.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:40 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebonnet78 View Post
maybe with a little more cap space after restructuring, jones is holding back to see how things shake down with cuts and preseason injuries before boosting the line.

it does look pretty scary. Only lineman I'm not concerned at all about is Free. There is a rookie at RT, Gurode isn't yet healthy, and Kosier gets nicked up from time to time. I never thought Holland was an actual option as a starting lineman, but I guess Jerry thinks he can pull it off. Arkin could be a good guard down the road, but putting two rookies next to each other could get Romo killed. And Sam Young is a serious option at Swing tackle? God forbid something should happen to Free or Smith.

Well I think Flozell is still out there and so is L. Davis. Maybe Jones can bring one of them back for depth at cap friendly price.
I hope you're right about Jerry doing something along the OL. But I hope you're not right about Flozell and Davis coming back.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:46 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Davis certainly got an enormous contract...but at least we got two amazing years out of him. There was a very short period of time, where he was the best G in football. You're certainly right about Roy's contract, though. That one was a killer.

I'm not too fond of Olshanky's contract either, really. It's not even that lucrative...I just dont think he's worth $4 million+ a year.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:05 PM    (permalink
bluebonnet78
Rookie

bluebonnet78 is a cocksman.bluebonnet78 is a cocksman.bluebonnet78 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I hope you're right about Jerry doing something along the OL. But I hope you're not right about Flozell and Davis coming back.
maybe not. i could just be looking back with rose-tinted glasses. I will say that releasing Colombo may not have been the smartest move Dallas made. perhaps they panicked in order to open cap space, but He was costing something like 2 mil on the cap i think. I'm sure they could have found a way to restructure or work him in just in case Tyron gets hurt. I guess they thought highly of Sam YOung that they could get by.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:08 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really doubt Colombo would be fine with a backup role in Dallas, after starting for 5 consecutive years with us. It doesnt really work that way. Guy has been having a bad camp with Miami anyway, apparently.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-08-2011, 03:24 PM    (permalink
bluebonnet78
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
I really doubt Colombo would be fine with a backup role in Dallas, after starting for 5 consecutive years with us. It doesnt really work that way. Guy has been having a bad camp with Miami anyway, apparently.
could be. guess they'll just have to roll with Young for the time being.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:25 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Saw some random trade rumor...Choice to Titans for Finnegan. I'd take it in a heartbeat, but don't see it happening. We don't have the cash to resign him now and we'd be renting him for the year.
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:27 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
Saw some random trade rumor...Choice to Titans for Finnegan. I'd take it in a heartbeat, but don't see it happening. We don't have the cash to resign him now and we'd be renting him for the year.
Why worry about resigning him now? We're not resigning Choice so at least you get an upgrade in depth for a player that you will probably cut anyway.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:30 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Finnegan is back at camp, I believe. Says his contract stuff was overblown. But anyway, why would a team with Chris Johnson even want Tashard Choice? They dont even use their backup RB.

The Lonyae Miller hype machine seems to be in full blast right now. He's quickly risen to near the top of my list, of guys I'm most anxious to see in the preseason.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-08-2011, 03:34 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Finnegan is back at camp, I believe. Says his contract stuff was overblown. But anyway, why would a team with Chris Johnson even want Tashard Choice? They dont even use their backup RB.

The Lonyae Miller hype machine seems to be in full blast right now. He's quickly risen to near the top of my list, of guys I'm most anxious to see in the preseason.
I'm looking forward to seeing him play in the pre-season.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:35 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
could be. guess they'll just have to roll with Young for the time being.
I really dont want to roll with Young, though. haha. That said, I dont want any of our old veterans back either.

Sound like a broken record, but it's really stupid not to address the O-Line via FA. Even if it's just for added depth. We could use a decent T behind Free/Smith, and Nick Cole is still freaking out there for G. He can play two positions, and he could start if you needed him to. I was actually hoping that we'd sign him and start him full time. But you could also just sign the guy for added depth behind Kosier and Holland. How they can look at that line and say "we're good", baffles my mind.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-08-2011, 04:02 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I really dont want to roll with Young, though. haha. That said, I dont want any of our old veterans back either.

Sound like a broken record, but it's really stupid not to address the O-Line via FA. Even if it's just for added depth. We could use a decent T behind Free/Smith, and Nick Cole is still freaking out there for G. He can play two positions, and he could start if you needed him to. I was actually hoping that we'd sign him and start him full time. But you could also just sign the guy for added depth behind Kosier and Holland. How they can look at that line and say "we're good", baffles my mind.
I'd take Cole at league minimum as a back-up only. I don't see him as a serviceable starter, but a back-up yes.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:02 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

More on our young O-linemen per ESPN Dallas

SAN ANTONIO -- The Cowboys held their Blue-White Scrimmage on Sunday afternoon with a mix of some good and bad.

There were players that stepped up to the challenge that needed to prove to the front office and coaches that their spots on this team are either secure or a maybe a move was needed. Letís start with how the young right side of the offensive line played. Tyron Smith and David Arkin impressed with what they were able to accomplish in the scrimmage.

Smith was matched up against Anthony Spencer and was solid with his ability to get movement in the running game and as a pass protector. The more I get the opportunity to see Smith play live, the more I understand why he was the top-rated tackle in the draft by teams across the league. His ease of movement and patience is impressive.

Usually rookie offensive linemen will struggle with technique, overextend and have problems keeping their balance. Smithís play has improved each day.

Arkin doesnít have the prettiest technique, but he shows the ability to play on his feet and stay after his man. He has an advantage in this scheme over Montrae Holland because Arkin can pull, trap and get on the edge. With him in the lineup, the team is more athletic on the front.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:12 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
I'd take Cole at league minimum as a back-up only. I don't see him as a serviceable starter, but a back-up yes.
Nick Cole is certainly capable of providing a Kosier like impact or stability. The guy is perfect for our blocking scheme. He's really not bad at all...he was just let go because he no longer fit in the Eagles offensive line scheme. They brought in Mudd, who is all about the more athletic lineman, opposed to the bigger bodies.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-08-2011, 04:16 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

You guys see Garrett say the "Razorback" formation wasnt dead? I wish it was. That should just go away, or at least try to run it with someone other than Choice, because it doesnt work at all. Felix, Murray, Harris...try one of them. haha. If it doesnt look too pretty, throw it in the trash.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-08-2011, 05:19 PM    (permalink
bluebonnet78
Rookie

Quote:
yeah i noticed he was out there, but i remember when the cowboys shredded him when he was forced into action as a Center when Jamaal Jackson went down right before the 2009 playoff game. I can't say i'd want him as anything more than a backup guard, though we already have that in Montrae Holland.

I hear they are trying to move Arkin over to LG now and move Kosier over to the right, which sounds smarter playing him beside two veterans.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:19 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Interesting development in Cowboys camp. Arkin getting reps at LG, while Kosier plays RG. Now that aint too bad of an idea, if Arkin really is playing well.

edit...beat me by seconds. haha.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-08-2011, 06:06 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
yeah i noticed he was out there, but i remember when the cowboys shredded him when he was forced into action as a Center when Jamaal Jackson went down right before the 2009 playoff game. I can't say i'd want him as anything more than a backup guard, though we already have that in Montrae Holland.

I hear they are trying to move Arkin over to LG now and move Kosier over to the right, which sounds smarter playing him beside two veterans.
That actually sounds brilliant. Especially since Arkin projected long term as a LG anyways. You go from a young and very questionable right side to a balanced line where our young guys don't have to learn a new position from what they played in college. Plus, we play them in between the vets. Good good.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:39 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You guys see Garrett say the "Razorback" formation wasnt dead? I wish it was. That should just go away, or at least try to run it with someone other than Choice, because it doesnt work at all. Felix, Murray, Harris...try one of them. haha. If it doesnt look too pretty, throw it in the trash.
Isn't it the greatest when we pull out this formation in the middle of a drive that's working brilliantly. We've executed a few 1st downs, moved the chains, picked up a bunch of yards as we approach the redzone only to pull out this formation on 2nd and 7, and end up with a 3rd and 16 out of FG position.

I've seen that happen so many times thinking about it makes me want to throw my tv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:43 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Isn't it the greatest when we pull out this formation in the middle of a drive that's working brilliantly. We've executed a few 1st downs, moved the chains, picked up a bunch of yards as we approach the redzone only to pull out this formation on 2nd and 7, and end up with a 3rd and 16 out of FG position.

I've seen that happen so many times thinking about it makes me want to throw my tv.
Yep. Idiotic in every sense.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:54 PM    (permalink
Crimson79
Rookie

Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
want to throw my tv.
Did this two nights ago. Wouldn't recommend.
Crimson79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:42 PM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks

Two good years from Davis but his deal was what 7???

Just, in general, big, multi-year contracts to guys with personality issues is not a good idea. I don't care how good they are or could be.

Look at Haynesworth.

Guys who are not fanatical workers and great teammates should not get long term contracts. And Davis, Williams, Haynesworth were never known for this. I would never give them more than 1/2/3 years at most and make them always work.
yanksknicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:37 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Two good years from Davis but his deal was what 7???

Just, in general, big, multi-year contracts to guys with personality issues is not a good idea. I don't care how good they are or could be.

Look at Haynesworth.

Guys who are not fanatical workers and great teammates should not get long term contracts. And Davis, Williams, Haynesworth were never known for this. I would never give them more than 1/2/3 years at most and make them always work.
All those guys are always signed to big deals, and cut mid way through them without any problems. It always happens, Davis was an elite guard when we signed him, and we cut him rightfully so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote