Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 04-05-2011, 09:49 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Connecticut received 30 of 31 first-place votes in the final ESPN/USA Today coaches' poll, released a day after the Huskies defeated Butler to win their third NCAA championship under coach Jim Calhoun.

Ohio State, which was knocked out by eventual regional champion Kentucky in the Sweet 16, received the lone remaining first-place vote.

The 31 Division I coaches voting in the poll are not obligated to vote for the NCAA tournament champion as No. 1 on the final ballot of the season. In a USA Today online report Tuesday, Northern Arizona coach Mike Adras told the newspaper he gave his No. 1 vote to the Buckeyes.

Adras said he also put Kansas No. 2 before voting for UConn third on his ballot.

"I voted for who I thought was the best team in the country based on the entire body of work during the season," Adras told USA Today. "I believe it is Ohio State. I want to congratulate Connecticut for winning the NCAA tournament. They deserved it."

Although the coaches' votes are made public for every other poll, they are not made public for the final poll, according to policy set by the National Association of Basketball Coaches.

Butler, which reached its second straight NCAA final, was ranked No. 2 and led six teams that vaulted from unranked status into the final Top 25. Fellow mid-major Final Four participant Virginia Commonwealth, also unranked when the tournament began, finished No. 6.

Kentucky was ranked third, followed by Kansas and Ohio State. VCU, Duke, North Carolina, Arizona and Florida rounded out the top 10.

While Butler and VCU reached the top 10 following tournament success, a pair of high tournament seeds plunged after disappointing losses.

Pittsburgh, the regular-season Big East champion and a No. 1 seed, fell to No. 12 in the final poll from No. 4 after Butler eliminated the Panthers from the tournament in the third round. San Diego State, formerly No. 5, fell to No. 11 following its Sweet 16 loss to UConn.

St. John's, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt, Xavier and Georgetown fell out of the poll, while Florida State, Marquette and Richmond -- all of whom pulled off upsets in the tournament -- ascended into the final Top 25 of the season.
Hello, Giants vs Patriots [2007] debate. College basketball style.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:33 AM    (permalink
pablowest

I am with the Patriots. Hope they will win the game always. :D
Old 04-10-2011, 07:51 PM    (permalink
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

KU got a commitment from Braedon Anderson
Old 04-11-2011, 11:51 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So two Florida players get arrested for breaking into a car at 2 am outside of a bar. Florida fans reaction?

Quote:
I know I'm in the minority, but if the wallet was stolen and was in the car, then they had a moral right to break in to retrieve it. Theoretically, if that was the case, it could have been handled right there on the spot, and the penalty would have gone to the person trying to steal the wallet rather than the person trying to retrieve the stolen property. Never been a big fan of penalizing folks for retrieving something that was stolen from them. It's not like they went all OJ about it. Either way, it's just a possibility. Surprised so many are willing to slam them with that possibility looming.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:10 PM    (permalink
Docta
Veteran

Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...his-first-book

Good to see that colleges still care about academics.
Docta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:59 PM    (permalink
thenewfeature06
Pro Bowler

thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The expectations next year are through the roof and should be.

Pumped.
Go Amare.
thenewfeature06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:08 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docta View Post
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...his-first-book

Good to see that colleges still care about academics.
Only seven schools have 100% graduation success rates per a recent study...think that's pretty crazy.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:03 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Only seven schools have 100% graduation success rates per a recent study...think that's pretty crazy.
That's also dumb though because it doesn't count transfers which you have plenty of in college athletics.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:35 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know it's not officially passed the day of no return, but Harrison Barnes says he's returning :D
Old 04-19-2011, 11:00 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
That's also dumb though because it doesn't count transfers which you have plenty of in college athletics.
Dumb as in an overestimate (doesn't count kids who transfer out of those schools who are at 100%) or an underestimate (schools get penalized for having kids transfer out)? These rates count a student who transferred in good academic standing and graduated at the new school as a graduate at the first school, which I think is fair. Different formula than the Federal Graduation Rate formula (this formula also counts JUCO kids who transfer into 4 year schools and graduate as graduates at that school and students who go back and returns and graduates more than 6 years after enrollment). Numbers are from a little while ago though, I guess to account for later graduates and things along those lines.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:30 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well how is it fair? If anything it should count for both schools. Why should say Nova be penalized for recruiting a JUCO who then graduates from Villanova. Nova is the better school.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:09 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Well how is it fair? If anything it should count for both schools. Why should say Nova be penalized for recruiting a JUCO who then graduates from Villanova. Nova is the better school.
I guess what I was saying is this statistic essentially does count it for both schools. If a school recruits a JUCO who then graduates from their school, that counts as a graduate. If someone transfers from Rutgers to Miami, is in good standing when they transfer from Rutgers, and graduates from Miami I believe that counts as a graduate for both but it definitely counts as a graduate for Rutgers. More or less they don't penalize schools for little things like that, provided the school shouldn't be penalized (if a student transfers in bad academic standing or doesn't graduate at the new school, then I could see not counting them).

I guess the only thing that would be unfair is if a school brings in a non-JUCO transfer who then graduates, and the formula only counts the student as a graduate for the first college. Then again the student probably wouldn't be counted as a non-graduate at the second, and I'm not necessarily sure that the student wouldn't be counted as a graduate at the second school anyway. That was the thing that came across most unclear to me, but I'm sure they have a pretty good reason for however they do it. Seems like a decent formula to me.

Last edited by derza222 : 04-19-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:56 PM    (permalink
JRTPlaya21
All-Pro

JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Doron Lamb is coming back.
JRTPlaya21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:05 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Alex Murphy (formerly a 2012 5* SF) will be coming to Duke this coming year as opposed to next year. Just adding to an already stacked class there.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:57 PM    (permalink
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Alex Murphy (formerly a 2012 5* SF) will be coming to Duke this coming year as opposed to next year. Just adding to an already stacked class there.
please lord let this mean DeAndre Daniels to Kansas
Old 04-19-2011, 05:40 PM    (permalink
thenewfeature06
Pro Bowler

thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Duke did that again? What is the deal with that?
Go Amare.
thenewfeature06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:41 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can't wait for the OSU-Duke matchup in next season's B1G-ACC jobber.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:44 AM    (permalink
JRTPlaya21
All-Pro

JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-RICH49 View Post
please lord let this mean DeAndre Daniels to Kansas
All my sources have been saying Daniels to Duke so we shall see.
JRTPlaya21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:46 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Quote:
What the **** is this ****? How do you choose when you go to college?

edit: does no one else see a problem with this?
Old 04-20-2011, 07:52 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post

He graduated high school early and still met all the academic requirements to get into Duke so there should be no issue whatsoever

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:36 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post

Not at all. If the kid is smart enough to graduate early and wants to, congrats to him. He should be applauded.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:59 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6409458

Laranaga to Miami.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:09 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
I'm shocked considering he has a team coming back which has the talent to make a cindarella run next year, and for the Miami job? Eh I know it's the ACC but he should have waited a different year and looked for a better job. Crazy how the young hot shot Shaka smart stays with a poor roster next year and Larranaga the guy who built the Mason program would leave a roster that returns nearly all key players after having won the CAA this year, making the top 32, and going 27-7. While Miami obviously has more resources and more money to offer he was offered by Mason to be a top 5 paid mid major coach of a base salary of 250k a year plus incentives, I thought that would be enough to keep the guy who's been there for 15 years.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Last edited by SeanTaylorRIP : 04-22-2011 at 05:14 PM.
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:15 PM    (permalink
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
Pro Bowler

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
I'm shocked considering he has a team coming back which has the talent to make a cindarella run next year, and for the Miami job? Eh I know it's the ACC but he should have waited a different year and looked for a better job. Crazy how the young hot shot Shaka smart stays with a poor roster next year and Larranaga the guy who built the Mason program would leave a roster that returns nearly all key players after having won the CAA this year, making the top 32, and going 27-7. While Miami obviously has more resources and more money to offer he was offered by Mason to be a top 5 paid mid major coach of a base salary of 250k a year plus incentives, I thought that would be enough to keep the guy who's been there for 15 years.
Back to obscurity in a few years for Larranaga. He had it great at Mason. Can we argue that Mason is a better program than Miami is now?

I am sure Miami has better facilities and could offer more cash, but its not like Miami is going to be going to the NCAA tournament or challenging for the ACC crown. He had that with Mason. Why throw that away? Im confused.

Thanks to Bone Krusher for the sig
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:25 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Because it's literally doubling his salary. Miami is a ****** basketball program sure but money talks. If the difference in salary is smaller maybe he stays but double the money is hard to pass up.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote