Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 11-16-2006, 10:31 PM    (permalink
TIP
Veteran

TIP hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Obesity

Ok...In my Human Health class today...we had a discussion on Obesity...and someone said its a genetic disease...which sounds ludacrous to me. Ok, there may be factors to lead it, slow metabolism, family history...but saying your are obese because of family genes seems absurd. Genes do not make you want to gorge yourself and not workout, that's called self-discipline, a skill you develop...It's just being quite a bother to me and I wanted to hear some of your opinions on this issue

Props to Darnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutlerChris View Post
Why couldn't Helen Keller drive?

She was a woman.
^^^^^^
OMFG LMAO
TIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 10:33 PM    (permalink
danman253

Ten bucks says that person had just watched the South Park Episode "Fat Camp" ten minutes before class.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:33 PM    (permalink
snuff

Pretty sure self discipline, intelligence, and other similar factors could be genetics, although no conclusive evidence has been shown yet, so I will go with yes.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:34 PM    (permalink

well genetics can be one of the factors along with other things.

http://www.webmd.com/hw/weight_control/aa50905.asp
Old 11-16-2006, 10:35 PM    (permalink

Self discipline is genetic I believe.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:37 PM    (permalink
TIP
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuff
Pretty sure self discipline, intelligence, and other similar factors could be genetics, although no conclusive evidence has been shown yet, so I will go with yes.
I disagree, I think that obesity really is only determined on your exercise and the way you are brought up...All the studies that say parents who are obese...there children are 3 times as likely to be obese...can be answered simply...the parents eating patterns picked up by the children. If the parents are obese, and east nonstop...what will the children do? Follow their parents example...but if you have an obese parent, who starts to eat healthier...the child will most likely follow. That is not genetics to me, thats parenting...Teaching self discipline, good eating and exercise to me falls on the shoulder of the parents to teach the children...I can't see how that is something genetic.

Props to Darnik

Quote:

She was a woman.
^^^^^^
OMFG LMAO
Old 11-16-2006, 10:39 PM    (permalink
snuff

Well if self discipline parallels to intelligence and intelligence parallels to genetics then I would say its a genetic problem.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:39 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

no way, maybe in some extream cases, but people just need to learn to exercise and eat right.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 10:41 PM    (permalink
TIP
Veteran

Quote:
Well if self discipline parallels to intelligence and intelligence parallels to genetics then I would say its a genetic problem.
That is a good point, but you can be intelligent and weak minded individual. Having no self-esteem or will power. Which is also a key in self discipline

Props to Darnik

Quote:

She was a woman.
^^^^^^
OMFG LMAO
Old 11-16-2006, 10:43 PM    (permalink
snuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088
no way, maybe in some extream cases, but people just need to learn to exercise and eat right.
I eat what ever I want and haven't exercised since this summer, are you going to say genetics has no role in it when I weigh 160 and other weigh 200+ that exercise daily?
Old 11-16-2006, 10:46 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
I eat what ever I want and haven't exercised since this summer, are you going to say genetics has no role in it when I weigh 160 and other weigh 200+ that exercise daily?
IT has some impact , but almost anyone can be fit if they want to, i guess that is what i am trying to say.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

Old 11-16-2006, 10:46 PM    (permalink
snuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIP
Quote:
That is a good point, but you can be intelligent and weak minded individual. Having no self-esteem or will power. Which is also a key in self discipline
Yes, these are general correlations not laws... I think in most cases though you will find that there is a correlation between self-esteem and will power to intelligence, similar to you will find a correlation between intelligence and prisoners, yes there will be a few stray ones, but most are below average intelligence.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:48 PM    (permalink
TIP
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
you can have a faster metabolism, but that makes you more prone to it. Not the same thing as a genetically inherit disease. You can inherit diabetes, but you are not born obese, you are born with red hair, blue eyes, or with diabetes, genetic traits that are passed on, obesity is not

Props to Darnik

Quote:

She was a woman.
^^^^^^
OMFG LMAO
Old 11-16-2006, 10:55 PM    (permalink
snuff

Personally I would say obesity is not a genetic disorder, but there are some genetics that enable the growth of obesity in today's society. I think if you look at the past there is little obesity today, so I think that is a telling fact that is more based on environment, and I think you would have a hard time putting genetics as a huge factor of it.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:28 PM    (permalink
Vince Lombardi
Pro Bowler

Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Personally I would say obesity is not a genetic disorder, but there are some genetics that enable the growth of obesity in today's society. I think if you look at the past there is little obesity today, so I think that is a telling fact that is more based on environment, and I think you would have a hard time putting genetics as a huge factor of it.
Some people are genetically predisposed towards obesity. Like someone previously said though, having the self discipline to eat right and exercise can fight it off somewhat. In some cases though, even with good discipline, it can still be a struggle because of the genetics. So yes, genetics do play a roll.......in some people. Obesity is a huge problem in this country though and probably the majority of obese people are that way because of poor eating habits and lack of exercise, not genetics. The lack of education dealing with nutrition and health is the biggest problem because alot of people just don't know how to be healthy and they're too lazy to teach themselves. We are a fast food nation. :?

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
i invite all of you to spam the board with moronic topics that aren't even vaguely entertaining. please.
Vince Lombardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:33 PM    (permalink
snuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Lombardi
We are a fast food nation. :?
Nothing wrong with that... I enjoy it.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:37 PM    (permalink
steelersfan43
Pro Bowler

steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hate it when fat people just say its not there fault, its genetic.

**** that, eat right and exersize fatty
steelersfan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:03 AM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Genetics can play a part in it but it definitely can be prevented no matter what type of genetics you have.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:09 AM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Re: Obesity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIP
Genes do not make you want to gorge yourself and not workout
The more research scientists do, the more we are finding out that nature is kicking nuture's ass. Which is to say that much of our temperment, sense of humor, and almost all personality traits are due to genetics. I don't see why getting fat/being lazy/liking to eat wouldn't be a part of that group.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:11 AM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.
Default Re: Obesity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIP
Genes do not make you want to gorge yourself and not workout
The more research scientists do, the more we are finding out that nature is kicking nuture's ass. Which is to say that much of our temperment, sense of humor, and almost all personality traits are due to genetics. I don't see why getting fat/being lazy/liking to eat wouldn't be a part of that group.
Personality traits are effected by genetics but not determined by them. You cannot blame obesity on genetics. Why would all of a sudden obesity be such a huge issue when at no other time in history it was? It's because people are eating poorly and not exercising.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:12 AM    (permalink
Vince Lombardi
Pro Bowler

Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What about people who are genetically predisposed to be skinny? My friend Elliot doesn't ever work out and he has the worst eating habits ever, he eats nothing but brats, hamburgers, and cheetos all day every day, never any vegetables or fruits, and is one of the skinniest people I know. He also smokes like crazy and always has a beer in his hand. Obviously it can go both ways, his whole family is like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
i invite all of you to spam the board with moronic topics that aren't even vaguely entertaining. please.
Vince Lombardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:33 AM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

Quote:
What about people who are genetically predisposed to be skinny? My friend Elliot doesn't ever work out and he has the worst eating habits ever, he eats nothing but brats, hamburgers, and cheetos all day every day, never any vegetables or fruits, and is one of the skinniest people I know. He also smokes like crazy and always has a beer in his hand. Obviously it can go both ways, his whole family is like that.
it will catch up with him sooner or later.

they get smoked.

Old 11-17-2006, 12:36 AM    (permalink
snuff

Quote:
Quote:
Not really true, but we are all dieing so act accordingly.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:42 AM    (permalink
Windy
All-Pro

Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Not really true, but we are all dieing so act accordingly.
My friend works at a life preserve tech company. by 2056 they will be able to extend life expectency by 1 year. If you donate now you could earn a stop in the lineups. I know it sounds like a cult but it isnt that bad. they dont make you do weird things or make you eat weird things either. for more info please call 1-800-live-1cult
Windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:50 AM    (permalink
snuff

If you give up everything that makes you want to life to 100 you can live to 100! - Woody Allen