Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 11-17-2006, 02:55 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit
Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151
I just did something on this in personal fitness and like 5 or 10% of people that or obese is because of genetic reasons, but the rest are just fat.
What's your reason?
Just fat.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 03:46 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

as a generic point, since two people made the argument: the price of food is half the equation. you're forgetting the time it takes to make the pasta, or the general ability to keep the family together long enough to feed everyone. again, time is a luxury now. people at a lower income tend to have FAR less free time than people at a high income level (we're talking in general). thus, mcdonalds isn't only the choice because they want to eat right now, but often because they have to eat right now because there just isn't any other choice.

then, further, picture the single mother who's working 2-3 jobs. it's unlikely she's at home in time to cook for her children when they get off of school, and it's likely that she won't be there to make dinner. one could argue that she should have taught her children better, but then, she's not really around to. either way, they're going to eat whatever they can, and it will often be fast food (because, unless they're in high school, it's unlikely they're prepared to cook anything that isn't spelled toast). before college, it's likely they would be obese or that they would be on the road to it based on poor eating habits. it's not laziness, it's the complete lack of ability to change their situation earlier in life. if they suddenly found themselves able to work shorter hours, they could probably turn themselves around with ease. on the other hand, if they found themselves working more than one job and starting too early and finish too late to spend an additional hour working out, they're going to have no chance at losing that weight.

i've spent the last year dropping something close to 50 pounds. but i'm not going to lie to myself and say i could've done it without the free time my job provides me.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:49 PM    (permalink
Space Ghost
Veteran

Space Ghost hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Bastard
I can't stop eating. I eat because I'm unhappy, and I'm unhappy because I eat. It's a vicious cycle. Now, if you'll excuse me, there's someone I'd like to get in touch with and forgive... myself.
[Farts]
That pretty much sums up my opinion that fat people are fat because they eat too much and fart a lot and are stupid and they don't eat healthily and they say and to many times in a sentance.
Space Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 03:51 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

njx slimmed down. 8)

What do you suggest, now that footballs over I'm trying to lose somthing around 20 pounds?

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 11-17-2006, 03:54 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Genetics is not the reason for obesity. Check this thread out. This is all you need to know about why America is obese.

http://nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/v...ic.php?t=30107

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 03:54 PM    (permalink
Space Ghost
Veteran

Quote:
njx slimmed down. 8)

What do you suggest, now that footballs over I'm trying to lose somthing around 20 pounds?
Anorexia wouldn't hurt. Its easy to lose that weight if all you drink is water and you eat nothing. It really helps your metabolism
Old 11-17-2006, 04:01 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

just an addendum: i'm absolutely not saying that it never has anything to do with someone just being lazy and eating poorly by choice. the CDC admits as much.

what i am saying is that for a high school kid (or really, most 1st and 2nd year college students) to paint a broad section of the population (at least 20% of every state but colorado, vermont, connecticut and hawaii) as being lazy without bothering to think about the implications of the problem and the potential solutions is, for lack of better words: short-sighted, close-minded and relatively stupid.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:01 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular
Genetics is not the reason for obesity. Check this thread out. This is all you need to know about why America is obese.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 11-17-2006, 04:02 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular

Old 11-17-2006, 04:05 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
njx slimmed down. 8)

i started running something around 4 to 5 miles per day (building up slowly). i run every single day. i also try to pick and choose my meals now, to ensure i'm getting vegetables and fruit at least once per day. i've also completely cut extra sugar out of my diet, to the point that drinking a single soda gives me an absolutely awful stomach ache. i haven't had fast food more than once in the last 3 years.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:06 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

Well I'm am screwed because pretty much none of that is happening right now. Can't run with a fractured tibia, and fast food is a way of life right now.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 11-17-2006, 04:07 PM    (permalink
Space Ghost
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
Quote:
njx slimmed down. 8)

i started running something around 4 to 5 miles per day (building up slowly). i run every single day. i also try to pick and choose my meals now, to ensure i'm getting vegetables and fruit at least once per day. i've also completely cut extra sugar out of my diet, to the point that drinking a single soda gives me an absolutely awful stomach ache. i haven't had fast food more than once in the last 3 years.
just do what I do. I started at 10 sets of 20 push ups, every week I add 1 push up. Right now I am doing 10 sets of 53 push ups a night and I am JACKED.

**** push ups really work the core strength hard.

You have to be jacked to play rugby though and I think that going to the gym is for sissies. Just like jogging, sprints are where its at, jogging kills the joints and kills muscle.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:10 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

i do dig push-ups and crunches, but i'm not really looking for muscle strength as much as endurance these days.

*shrug* it's sort of a personal choice, as to what you can stick with and for me, it's much easier to make myself go run for a while.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:13 PM    (permalink
Space Ghost
Veteran

Quote:
i do dig push-ups and crunches, but i'm not really looking for muscle strength as much as endurance these days.

*shrug* it's sort of a personal choice, as to what you can stick with and for me, it's much easier to make myself go run for a while.
Yeah, thats good. I wasn't being mean or anything, thats just my opinion on jogging. I would rather jog than use a tread mill though and if you want to lose weight and not gain cardio strength or get faster, jogging with a sweat jacket/suit is probably the best thing to do.

Somewhere down the road my workout will fail me though when I end up having to do like 10 sets of 300 push ups. I think I will cut it off at 100 :mrgreen:
Old 11-17-2006, 04:17 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

I work out and I'm semi jacked but I'm gonna start this thing where you do as many push ups as you can in one time, once a day, and after a month, no matter what you started at you can get to 200. Push ups really are a great overall workout.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 11-17-2006, 04:19 PM    (permalink
Space Ghost
Veteran

Quote:
I work out and I'm semi jacked but I'm gonna start this thing where you do as many push ups as you can in one time, once a day, and after a month, no matter what you started at you can get to 200. Push ups really are a great overall workout.
You wont be able to do 200 if you do em every day, you will be too sore by the 31st day, everyother day 62nd day is doable though probably. I don't know if what you said would work at all or not.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:23 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ghost
Quote:
You wont be able to do 200 if you do em every day, you will be too sore by the 31st day, everyother day 62nd day is doable though probably. I don't know if what you said would work at all or not.
My biology told me about it and he as a world class swimmer and trained an olympic swim team so I trust him.

Also you are doing 1 set of push ups a day, not much to recover from.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 11-17-2006, 04:50 PM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Jdallas hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
njx slimmed down. 8)

just do what I do. I started at 10 sets of 20 push ups, every week I add 1 push up. Right now I am doing 10 sets of 53 push ups a night and I am JACKED.

*********** push ups really work the core strength hard.

You have to be jacked to play rugby though and I think that going to the gym is for sissies. Just like jogging, sprints are where its at, jogging kills the joints and kills muscle.
If you're doing enough sprints to be in good enough shape to play at a competitive level of rugby, the sprints are killing muscle almost as much as jogging does.

Desings by D-Unit
Jdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 04:51 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

Rugby owns btw, my brother plays at Vanderbilt, but they got suspended for this season because of having alcohol on a school vehicle.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 11-17-2006, 05:10 PM    (permalink
steelersfan43
Pro Bowler

steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You can say lazyness is genetic (which it isnt) but you can change that. People cant say that they are geneticly fat and they cant change it because you can

get off your ass
steelersfan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 05:16 PM    (permalink
steelersfan43
Pro Bowler

steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller
Do you think part of it is because of the culture?

In the 60's/70's everyone told their kids to go outside, play with the neighbors and run around, now everyone gets their PC/Xbox and does that,

But then again some people won't let their kids outside because it's dangerous..

But also a major thing is time. Back then it was .. do you 9-5, come home and eat, do stuff for 2-3 hours and go to bed.

Plus in this day and age, it's hard to find families that can constantly have a dinner/lunch around the same time.

When I was 13, we had 3 different dinner times and what i've been told from that is it keeps your metabolism guessing. Which since everyone is too busy to cook meals, we go the way of Microwaving and fast food.

I almost never have meals at the same time two days in a row and im no where near overweight
steelersfan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 05:40 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdallas
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
njx slimmed down. 8)

*********** push ups really work the core strength hard.

If you're doing enough sprints to be in good enough shape to play at a competitive level of rugby, the sprints are killing muscle almost as much as jogging does.
Jogging or running do not "kill muscle".
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:55 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersfan43
You can say lazyness is genetic (which it isnt) but you can change that. People cant say that they are geneticly fat and they cant change it because you can

get off your ass
feel better? can you simply not read, or did you choose not to read anything else in this thread said either way? i'm curious because you presented no compelling evidence, nor did you even acknowledge any.

this is the problem with arguing about topics that encompass issues that most elementary school social studies classes haven't gotten to yet on this board.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:57 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think if you have 2 people eat the same food, do the exact same exercises and so on for a year and they started out at say 140. One may be 160 or 180, but I dont think that people are born and just become obese and just blame it on genetics.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:12 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Re: Obesity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIP
Genes do not make you want to gorge yourself and not workout
The more research scientists do, the more we are finding out that nature is kicking nuture's ass. Which is to say that much of our temperment, sense of humor, and almost all personality traits are due to genetics. I don't see why getting fat/being lazy/liking to eat wouldn't be a part of that group.
Personality traits are effected by genetics but not determined by them. You cannot blame obesity on genetics. Why would all of a sudden obesity be such a huge issue when at no other time in history it was? It's because people are eating poorly and not exercising.
To be fair, the last hundred years have been the only time in human history that natural selection has been rendered absolutely non-existant. Fat people are breeding more, and staying alive longer due to more advanced medicine.

Why are some babies born heavier than others, why do some balloon up after birth while some stay skinny. Why do some lose that post-birth weight quickly, why do some never really lose it? It has nothing, or very little, to do with the babies diet. It has almost everything to do with how the babies body is functioning.

Genetics are not the end all-be all, but they determine a hell of a lot.