Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 11-17-2006, 08:18 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The obeisity crises will end when the Wii takes over the video game market.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:33 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Obese people are coping out. They blame everybody but themselves. Sure, genetics, society, income, etc. play a part in it but it always comes back to your actions. There are very few people on Earth who couldn't maintain a healthy BMI if they did what is necessary to stay that healthy.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:36 PM    (permalink
steelersfan43
Pro Bowler

steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staubach12
The obeisity crises will end when the Wii takes over the video game market.

When does that come out?

ps I agree with moses
steelersfan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:51 PM    (permalink
Fred Savage

I would say genetics play about 20%. The problem is ignorance and lack of information on the part of the consumer, lack of exercise, and basic economics. The big corporations are making band of Americans lifestyles. They really dont care there causing an epidemic as long as they make money. I just hope some massive companys form as healthy food producers. Healthy food tastes just as good as fatty junk foods. The problem is healty foods are not easily accesable to people as McDonalds etc. People are starting to catch on but even still the temptation of cheap, dilicious food is to much to pass up. Plus with peoples fast paced life style they dont have the time to take time in the grocery store and cook themselves meals. 99 cent frozen pizzas are much easier. I am done for now, could go on forever.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:52 PM    (permalink

Just anither excuse for fat people to be lazy and do nothing. No way is it genetic. So many stupid political correct idiots roaming the earth yet.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:00 PM    (permalink
Fred Savage

The genetic argument is so rediculous. The reason people in a family are fat is because they usually all share the same crappy eating and exercise habits. Let's keep this in mind without getting into some pointless religious discussion.

Humans are not ment to be sitting infront of a t.v. or computer all day eating chemically altered food and drinking high fructose corn syrup. Humans are ment to be running around in the wilderness eating natural foods. Thats how we evolved, thats how it should be.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:02 PM    (permalink
snuff

Are you sure Fred, I mean who said what humans are here for?

Nihilism!
Old 11-17-2006, 09:03 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuff

Nihilism!

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:06 PM    (permalink
Fred Savage

Quote:

Nihilism!
Actully the tides have turned. Humans have met there potential and are now here to destroy themselfs and to take down the earths natural resouces with them.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:07 PM    (permalink
Moltar

Genetics plays a role, but it isn't the only reason, if you don't make an effort to live a healthy life style, you won't get results and if you fall back on genetics you will go no where.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:26 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Savage
The genetic argument is so rediculous. The reason people in a family are fat is because they usually all share the same crappy eating and exercise habits.
Who says those aren't genetic? I mean, after all, intelligence is genetic.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:27 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck
Quote:
The genetic argument is so rediculous. The reason people in a family are fat is because they usually all share the same crappy eating and exercise habits.
Again, only to a point. You'd have to be borderline mentally handicapped to not understand the basics of how to stay healthy.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:28 PM    (permalink
snuff

Quote:
Quote:
Actually thats not true... Its still in debate.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:32 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses
Quote:
Quote:
Again, only to a point. You'd have to be borderline mentally handicapped to not understand the basics of how to stay healthy.
You also have to be borderline ******** to not understand that smoking cigarettes is terrible for you, yet people do anyway.

You can be genetically pre-disposed to anything. Does that mean your fate is sealed? Certainly not. But disregarding it entirely is just ignorant.

A Nature vs. Nuture argument is not required here. I'm just trying to make the point that people need to curb their idea of what genetics actually are. Quite thinking that genetics are physical hinderances that made you fat. They actually decide the type of resolutions your brain ends up making, and therefore are responsible for your crappy decisions regarding health.

Quote:
It is fact that your brains intelligence potential is absolutely decided before you are born. How/if you fufill that potential has a lot to do with the life you have as a kid.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:34 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You also have to be borderline dumb to not understand that smoking cigarettes is terrible for you, yet people do anyway.

You can be genetically pre-disposed to anything. Does that mean your fate is sealed? Certainly not. But disregarding it entirely is just ignorant.

A Nature vs. Nuture argument is not required here. I'm just trying to make the point that people need to curb their idea of what genetics actually are. Quite thinking that genetics are physical hinderances that made you fat. They actually decide the type of resolutions your brain ends up making, and therefore are responsible for your crappy decisions regarding health.
That statement is completely off-base in my opinion. There is absolutely no evidence that proves that genetics are what determines the decisions you make.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:37 PM    (permalink
snuff

Quote:

Quote:
It is fact that your brains intelligence potential is absolutely decided before you are born. How/if you fufill that potential has a lot to do with the life you have as a kid.
That is false.
Quote:

Some studies find the heritability of IQ around 0.5 but the studies show ranges from 0.4 to 0.8;[5] that is, depending on the study, a little less than half to substantially more than half of the variation in IQ among the children studied was due to variation in their genes. The remainder was thus due to environmental variation and measurement error. A heritability in the range of 0.4 to 0.8 implies that IQ is "substantially" heritable. Studies with adults show that they have a higher heritability of IQ than children do and that heritability could be as high as 0.8.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:50 AM    (permalink
TIP
Veteran

TIP hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Intelligence is not predetermined, the crappy eating habits I believe are not genetic, good parenting and discilpline can change that easily

Props to Darnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutlerChris View Post
Why couldn't Helen Keller drive?

She was a woman.
^^^^^^
OMFG LMAO
TIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 02:12 AM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
That statement is completely off-base in my opinion. There is absolutely no evidence that proves that genetics are what determines the decisions you make.
Wait, did I miss something? Genetics are a major factor the initial development of your brain pre-birth. Through this, doctors are now able to tell parents the basic personality traits of their children before they are even born. And if you don't think the way your brain wires itself has anything to do with the decision you make, then I'm not quite sure what to say.

Quote:
That is false.
You just posted a study saying what I said. Like I said above, genetics play a major role in our brains initial development, and in that is determined the potential of children. Smart parents are more likely to give birth to smart children, and vice-versa. A childs upbringing decides how much of that potential they fufill (which would be their IQ level).

Quote:
...crappy eating habits I believe are not genetic, good parenting and discilpline can change that easily
Why would addiction be a genetic transfered trait and a subconcious urge to eat lots of food not be? Of course an upbringing can change things. But some people are born without the odds already stacked against them genetically regarding many many things.

Let's make something clear. I'm not saying that fat people aren't responsible for their weight. They absolutely are. I'm saying that refering to genetics simply as how fast your metabolism goes is inherently wrong. The basic set of tools we have to work with from the moment we are born is entirely determined by what genetic traits we get from our parents. These traits are modified by our environments until our brain stop developing (somewhere around age 25, and your personality isn't supposed to set until 30), but not everyone starts with the same tool set. That is the only point I'm trying to make.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:29 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

i find the "they're just lazy." statements really funny.

in all honesty, how many of you are even qualified to have this argument? how many of you have studied sociology or anthropology to even begin to have the faintest idea what you're talking about? the fact that you're 14-18 and are growing up in a middle class to upper middle class family immediately disqualifies your opinion, because frankly, you've got absolutely no idea what you're talking about. to discount genetics as a whole, simply because, as moonduck has pointed out around 743 times, you don't understand what "genetics" means is moronic. to disqualify economic and social factors simply because you don't like them is borderline idiotic.

hey TIP, let's start with you. how is a poor single mother supposed to have any time to impart good eating habits on children she rarely sees? or to have the time to prepare better food, even assuming she could afford it? i'm curious, is she just lazy? should she get off her lazy butt at 3am to prepare a full day's worth of meals for her children before she goes to work three jobs? are you going to volunteer to help her with that? maybe you'd like to point to a specific study that shows that gene types have nothing to do with body type.

it's just entertaining to me that the people advocating the laziness argument are attempting to prove it by demonstrating it, in not even really attempting to make any arguments whatsoever, thinking a generic statement will somehow count as "fact".
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 05:31 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
That is false.
Quote:

Some studies find the heritability of IQ around 0.5 but the studies show ranges from 0.4 to 0.8;[5] that is, depending on the study, a little less than half to substantially more than half of the variation in IQ among the children studied was due to variation in their genes. The remainder was thus due to environmental variation and measurement error. A heritability in the range of 0.4 to 0.8 implies that IQ is "substantially" heritable. Studies with adults show that they have a higher heritability of IQ than children do and that heritability could be as high as 0.8.
keep in mind also that IQ is a BS test of intelligence. i'm not inclined to buy that it really has any statiscial merit, moreso when it's been consistently shown to give favor to certain cultural subsets.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:59 PM    (permalink
tom
Veteran

tom smells like sex panther.tom smells like sex panther.

This is completley Bogus... What people call genetic obesity, simply means they have addictive personalities, and cannot stop stuffing their gob, just like alcoholics have trouble with drinking, and junkies with scag. Sure, some people are more predisposed to become addicted, but that doesn't mean it's genetic and cannot be helped.

However, living an idiotic P.C. society that won't tackle these issues because it might offend people, we tend to accept it. In my eyes, an obese person is just as bad as junkie, or an alcoholic (morally, not in so far as being a danger to society, of course).

Saying Obesity is genetic is a ridiculous phalacy, and if you need any proof, look back at pictures of Auschwitz. Now this may seem like a horrible image, but it proves a point, it's eating excesively that makes you fat.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:12 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom
However, living an idiotic P.C. society that won't tackle these issues because it might offend people, we tend to accept it. In my eyes, an obese person is just as bad as junkie, or an alcoholic (morally, not in so far as being a danger to society, of course).
it's interesting that you would bring up alcoholism in a self-restraint post, when it's been shown to run in families.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:19 PM    (permalink
tom
Veteran

tom smells like sex panther.tom smells like sex panther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom
it's interesting that you would bring up alcoholism in a self-restraint post, when it's been shown to run in families.
What has been shown to run in families is the fact that people are prone to have addictive personalities. That is certainly genetic, but there's a diffrence between having an addictive personality, and being either an alcoholic, obese, or a junkie. I have two brothers, and we come from a long line of alcoholics. One of them is a recovered alcoholic and doesn't drink at all. If he can do it, then an obese person can stop eating. Eating is an addiction, and although it's hard, you can quit.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:25 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom
What has been shown to run in families is the fact that people are prone to have addictive personalities. That is certainly genetic, but there's a diffrence between having an addictive personality, and being either an alcoholic, obese, or a junkie. I have two brothers, and we come from a long line of alcoholics. One of them is a recovered alcoholic and doesn't drink at all. If he can do it, then an obese person can stop eating. Eating is an addiction, and although it's hard, you can quit.
if we're ignoring economic conditions, then yes, i think most people could effect small changes. but also keep in mind that, at a certain point, exercise becomes nearly impossible (due to stress on joints, tendons and ligaments). so america may just be hitting the downstroke before things start to equalize out. *shrug* almost everything in nature finds equilibrium, and given how unhealthy obesity is, it's something that could potentially be selected out several generations down the line.

but i still strenuously object to all obese people being labelled simply "lazy" or "stupid" or whatever other terms have been tossed around this thread, simply because a fair number of people here aren't educated enough to have anything of value to add.