Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 05-22-2007, 04:45 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really want to homebrew, but it just isn't an option until I get into a house. This brewing at a brewery thing sounds interesting, but it seems like the freedom to really experiment is part of what makes homebrewing so fun.

I want to be able to make strange beer, root beer, ginger beer, etc.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:12 AM    (permalink
drowe
Mr. Underrated
All-Pro

drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

ok, had some good beer last night. at a friend's house for poker.
first, i had a Goose Island IPA. i felt like i tried it before and wasn't impressed. but if that's true, i musta had a bad bottle because it really hit the spot this time.
then, a Goose Island Oatmeal Stout. really good. i like stouts to have a little bite to 'em. being an oatmeal stout, this one didn't, but, very smooth.
also, tried a very old New Glaurus Cherry Stout. it was interesting. not sure if i liked it or not. different anyway. mighta actually been better if it was warm. New Glaurus, I've always thought had very watered down versions of their beers. but, every once in a while, they try something crazy...this was one of those...and like i said, i'm on the fence.
drowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:31 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just realized this thread sank to the second page. As beer lovers, we can't let this happen again.

I was wondering if anybody else has tried Gueuze? I personally love the sour flavors, and have made Cantillon a regular in my fridge. I only wish there were more offerings on the shelves. The stuff is addicting.

My only comment on Goose Island and New Glarus is that I wish we had them out here so I could give 'em a try!
Old 05-24-2007, 10:06 AM    (permalink
drowe
Mr. Underrated
All-Pro

drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

wow, thread sinking again.

yeah, New Glaurus is HUGE in Wisconsin, but apparently they don't distribute much outside of the state.

not sure how far reaching Goose Island is, but i had thought it was pretty big.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:06 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Beer!
Old 05-24-2007, 12:12 PM    (permalink
RyanLeaf#1
All-Pro

RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.

Thirsty Thursday and im definitely drinking tonight

Phillies 2007 NL East Champions & Back to Back MVP Award Winners.
Indianapolis Colts 13-3
Philadelphia Flyers 19-14-4 = 42 points
Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
Coach Bob Huggins 10-2
RyanLeaf#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 01:09 PM    (permalink
drowe
Mr. Underrated
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
stupid thursday. not that it'll stop me, but beer is far less satisfying when i know i still have work the next day.
i always had the opposite problem. beer just always seemed to taste better when i knew i wasn't supposed to be drinking it.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:14 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowe View Post
i always had the opposite problem. beer just always seemed to taste better when i knew i wasn't supposed to be drinking it.
HHHMMMMM....... Forbidden Beer!!!
Old 05-24-2007, 01:45 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the oatmeal stout is ridiculously smooth and warm. i have no idea how they do it. but it's deliciously creamy.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 01:53 PM    (permalink
Scar
Rookie

Scar hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

New Glarus Question: Which is the one with the Squirrel on it? That stuff is good! I only had one bottle that a relative from WI had brought me once, need to track it down again. Spotted Cow is the only one that seems to get any distribution at all. It's good, but it's no squirrel.
Scar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 01:55 PM    (permalink
tEk
Veteran

tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
wow, thread sinking again.

yeah, New Glaurus is HUGE in Wisconsin, but apparently they don't distribute much outside of the state.

not sure how far reaching Goose Island is, but i had thought it was pretty big.
Quote:
Originally Posted by www.GooseIsland.com
Goose Island Beer is distributed in the following states:
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Michigan
Minnesota
Montana
Nebraska
New York
North Dakota
Ohio
Pennsylvania
South Dakota
Wisconsin
that is directly of the goose island web site.

Hitman D
tEk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 02:29 PM    (permalink
drowe
Mr. Underrated
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar View Post
New Glarus Question: Which is the one with the Squirrel on it? That stuff is good! I only had one bottle that a relative from WI had brought me once, need to track it down again. Spotted Cow is the only one that seems to get any distribution at all. It's good, but it's no squirrel.
that would be Fat Squirrel Nut Brown Ale. I don't love it as much as most 'Sconies but, i've never been a big Brown Ale fan in general. and yeah, if ya see New Glaurus anywhere, it'll most likely be Spotted Cow.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:31 PM    (permalink
drowe
Mr. Underrated
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullyquiet View Post
the oatmeal stout is ridiculously smooth and warm. i have no idea how they do it. but it's deliciously creamy.

yeah, it was very good. i was much more impressed with the IPA though.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:23 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ok, so it doesn't appear that there are any gueuze lovers around. What about Mead? Anybody love this nectar as much as me? I know it's not beer, but I appreciate it just as much. Ok, well that was a lie. I don't appreciate anything as much as beer. But it's close.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:24 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckseason View Post
Ok, so it doesn't appear that there are any gueuze lovers around. What about Mead? Anybody love this nectar as much as me? I know it's not beer, but I appreciate it just as much. Ok, well that was a lie. I don't appreciate anything as much as beer. But it's close.
Mead? Isn't that a weird honey beer or something?
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:29 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
Mead? Isn't that a weird honey beer or something?
Yeah, basically. Some call it "honey wine." But it's more closely related to beer. The stuff is delicious. There are many different varieties, some of which contain other fruits, which are called "melomels." If you can afford it, go get a bottle of semi-dry mead and take it from there. Should be around $15.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mead
Old 05-24-2007, 06:50 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah, basically. Some call it "honey wine." But it's more closely related to beer. The stuff is delicious. There are many different varieties, some of which contain other fruits, which are called "melomels." If you can afford it, go get a bottle of semi-dry mead and take it from there. Should be around $15.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mead
I've had some good mead and bad. If it's bad you will know immediately, however, mead is an accumulated taste as far as I'm concerned.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:56 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
I've had some good mead and bad. If it's bad you will know immediately, however, mead is an accumulated taste as far as I'm concerned.
Yeah, I think you could say that about any and all beverages. Did you mean acquired taste? I think that's obvious as well. I can't imagine it being nearly as offensive to first-time imbibers as your average wine or beer though. It generally has a very mellow taste, and most everybody enjoys honey.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:16 PM    (permalink
VY10
Rookie

VY10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Snake River from wyoming. Check out the list of awards.

http://www.snakeriverbrewing.com/opawards.html
VY10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 07:25 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by VY10 View Post
Snake River from wyoming. Check out the list of awards.

http://www.snakeriverbrewing.com/opawards.html
Nice. I'll have to try them sometime. It appears as though they'll ship 3 varieties. What's your favorite from them? Did you visit the brewery?
Old 05-24-2007, 08:23 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
you taste more of it as you go?
Well, it was a poor choice of words, but with mead, that actually does happen. That freaking taste sits in your mouth and won't go away.

Mead's alright I guess, not a huge fan. I've had mead that was entirely too sweet for me to handle.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:00 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Nice. I'll have to try them sometime. It appears as though they'll ship 3 varieties. What's your favorite from them? Did you visit the brewery?
Hanging out at breweries is awesome. There aren't many around here but I have been known to frequent the Brooklyn Brewery on Friday nights or Saturday afternoons (the only days its open to public). Basically you can just hang out there and get 7 beers there for 20 bucks. Which by NYC standards is basically giving it away. The funny thing is I don't think they have a liscense to sell beer on the premise so they have a funny way of getting around that. You can buy 7 tokens for 20 bucks. Then you can trade in a token for a "free" beer. Its some legal loophole that continues to work.

Anyway, at all times they have 8 beers on tap. 4 of their more "regulars" and then 4 more stylish beers. Often seasonals and sometimes even brews they don't bottle. Things they are trying out and just made a handful of kegs of. If you are a beer drinker in the NY/NJ area it is a must.

Last edited by Jughead10 : 05-25-2007 at 07:49 AM.
Jughead10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 07:46 AM    (permalink
drowe
Mr. Underrated
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
Hanging out at breweries is awesome. There aren't many around here but I have been known to frequent the Brooklyn Brewery on Friday nights or Saturday afternoons (the only days its open to public). Basically you can just hang out there and get 7 beers there for 20 bucks. Which by NYC standards is basically giving it away. The funny thing is I don't think they have a liscense to sell beer on the premise so they have a funny way of getting around that. You can buy 7 tokens for 20 bucks. Then you can trade in a token for a "free" beer. Its some legal loophole that continues to work.
yeah, Lakefront Brewery in Milwaukee does the same thing. buy 4 tokens for $5 and get 4 free beers and a free pint glass. then sit in the lobby and eat pretzels and wait for people to give you their leftover tokens. it pretty much turns into all you can drink for $5. and it's my favorite beer ever.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:51 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
yeah, Lakefront Brewery in Milwaukee does the same thing. buy 4 tokens for $5 and get 4 free beers and a free pint glass. then sit in the lobby and eat pretzels and wait for people to give you their leftover tokens. it pretty much turns into all you can drink for $5. and it's my favorite beer ever.
Damn thats cheap. If any place was that cheap for good beer in NYC, I think they would have to beat people away with a stick. The token thing must be a well known loophole then. Its easier than getting a liquor liscense, which cost a ton here. Not sure about NYC but I know in NJ some liquor liscenses cost almost a million bucks.

Last edited by Jughead10 : 05-25-2007 at 08:35 AM.
Jughead10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:29 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

I think I could kill 4 homeless people for a beer right now.