Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 05-22-2007, 03:09 AM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A friend of mine always buys a few cases of Sudwerk's Christmas Dopplebock and hands bottles out to as many people are willing take one. Big, 34 oz. bottles with the snap top. Super classy, and the bottles always have a nice design.

Very dark and mellow beer, incredibly pleasant to drink.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:18 AM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
A friend of mine always buys a few cases of Sudwerk's Christmas Dopplebock and hands bottles out to as many people are willing take one. Big, 34 oz. bottles with the snap top. Super classy, and the bottles always have a nice design.

That's an awesome friend. I'll keep an eye out for sure. Hell, I'd buy it just for the kick ass bottle.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:23 AM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckseason View Post
That's an awesome friend. I'll keep an eye out for sure. Hell, I'd buy it just for the kick ass bottle.
If I had a working camera I'd post a photo of the three bottles I have to date from the last 3 years. One developed mold, but I managed to save one from this past year.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:29 AM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If I had a working camera I'd post a photo of the three bottles I have to date from the last 3 years. One developed mold, but I managed to save one from this past year.
Yeah, I want a nice camera bad right now. Seems like I always find myself wanting to take a picture, and my piece of crap camera on my phone is far less than adequate. So they're basically growlers right? You could take them to the brewery for a refill?
Old 05-22-2007, 03:33 AM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Yeah, I want a nice camera bad right now. Seems like I always find myself wanting to take a picture, and my piece of crap camera on my phone is far less than adequate. So they're basically growlers right? You could take them to the brewery for a refill?
I suppose, although I'm not sure the drive up to Davis would be worth it, especially considering that they stopped brewing their Christmas batch a while back. But from what I've heard the people who run the brewery are nice people, I'm sure they would accommodate.

Also, I desperately want a quality digital camera, but I can't justify dropping the $600-1500 on a hobby at this point in my life.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:19 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I always pick up a couple of the magnum bottles of Anchor Steam Christmas Ale. They are 50.7 ozs. Here is a link where you can check it out if you aren't familiar.

http://www.anchorbrewing.com/images/...masAle2006.pdf

Whats cool about this particular Christmas Ale is the artwork. The label changes every year with different depictions of a Christmas tree. I've saved the last couple of years Magnum bottles and have them on a shelf. You can check out all the labels here.

http://www.anchorbrewing.com/beers/labelspast.htm

But you probably know all about that being from San Fran. But this is a pain to get around here.
Jughead10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:36 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
quick, someone give me their top five reds or top five pilseners.
I'm not a huge fan of Pilsners but Victory makes a great Pils.

As for red, I guess Smithwicks is my choice there. I'll pretty much drink that nonstop from October to March.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:43 AM    (permalink
drowe
Mr. Underrated
All-Pro

drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

1. Leinenkugel's Red
2. Killian's Irish Red
3. Smithwick's
4. Beamish Red
5. New Glaurus Totally Naked-not ACTUALLY an Irish Red, but it tastes like a red.
drowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:48 AM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Flying Dog makes some pretty good stuff.
The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

Sig by jkpigskin
TPFKA#1SaintsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:57 AM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
flying dog's old scratch is one of my favorite locals.
Old Scratch is good... In Heat Wheat is my favorite. Doggie Style is good, too. Those are the only 3 I've had.

Sig by jkpigskin
Old 05-22-2007, 08:59 AM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

Just a word of warning to my fellow beer drinkers: If you ever get the chance to drink this beer, DON'T. Tastes like the worst kind of rotten garbage.

Sig by jkpigskin
Old 05-22-2007, 12:40 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Has anyone ever had Geary's?

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 01:46 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
I always pick up a couple of the magnum bottles of Anchor Steam Christmas Ale. They are 50.7 ozs. Here is a link where you can check it out if you aren't familiar.

http://www.anchorbrewing.com/images/...masAle2006.pdf

Whats cool about this particular Christmas Ale is the artwork. The label changes every year with different depictions of a Christmas tree. I've saved the last couple of years Magnum bottles and have them on a shelf. You can check out all the labels here.

http://www.anchorbrewing.com/beers/labelspast.htm

But you probably know all about that being from San Fran. But this is a pain to get around here.
Woah, awesome. I had no idea, but I'll definitely pick up a few of those next Christmas, especially because the brewery is a 5-10 drive from where I live.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:55 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Has anyone ever had Anchor Summer Brew? That seems to be the one Anchor Steam that we can't get here in NJ along with the Christmas Ale.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:20 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
Has anyone ever had Anchor Summer Brew? That seems to be the one Anchor Steam that we can't get here in NJ along with the Christmas Ale.
That's practically all I've been drinking these past few weeks. Pretty damn delicious.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:21 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That's practically all I've been drinking these past few weeks. Pretty damn delicious.
I wish I could get my hands on that. Your a lucky man.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:30 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

Quote:
Sounds like I'm late to the party on this, but I'll answer anyway. I don't drink a ton of red's, but that has more to do with availability more than anything else. I'd say that my favorite is Red Rocket Ale from Bear Republic. That is a top-notch beer, and I'd recommend everything from that brewery. When I want a Red, I reach for that. St. Rogue Red is also very good, and I buy Cinder Cone from Deschutes during the winter sometimes too. I'd say those are my three favorite, but I admit I haven't tried many. I also hear great things about Alesmith's Evil Dead Red. I can pretty much guarantee that's an awesome beer, because everything Alesmith does is awesome.

As for pilseners, I won't be much help at all. I rarely purchase them, and often use them for cooking. I'll echo what Jughead said and point out Victory's Prima Pils. That beer is exactly how a pilsener should be, imo. People rave about it, and for good reason. Even better, another great one is the Morimoto from Rogue. It's an Imperial Pils at 8.8%, and it's awesome. Too expensive for me to buy very often, but you should try it at least once if you love pilseners. The other one I'll mention is the Uber Pils from Rogue. It's very good as well, but I prefer the Prima. Those are the only 3 I've tried that I liked much.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:47 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

Quote:
word, things to check out.

it seems like beer people tend to snub a lot of the good lighter beers for a lot of crap dark stuff (i've had a few of the top 50 on ratebeer and absolutely hated them).
Haha. Yeah, everybody has their own preferences. I love the Stouts. Love all the big beers. Doesn't have to be dark. Just big and great. When I want a session beer, I usually reach for an IPA. I often use the amber's and pils's for cooking. But still get a craving to sit back with a 6er of Prima. I love Red Rocket though. I'll drink that everyday. I just love the bigger beers so much that there isn't often space in the fridge for much else. It's all big beers that I'm aging, with space for a few bombers to drink, and then there's room for a 6 pack of something standard like an IPA or something. So I don't get around to a lot of the lighter stuff very often. Which ones in the RB top 50 did you hate? I agree it's lame that there are no small beers in the top 50. You rate according to style. So there should be more representation of each style.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:59 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

Quote:
hell, i'll have to go back and look. when i was in college, me and a buddy took their list to the local liqour store (a surprisingly good one) and just bought the first 5 we found. his dog ended up getting pretty drunk.
Well at least the dog seemed to have a good night. haha. Yeah, I agree there are many beers living off of reputation right now. I think especially some of the trappist brews. Orval and St Bernardus have no place in any top 50 imo. I think they're living off a reputation built before the craft brew boom. Still good beers, but not worth the price at all. I was also very disappointed with trois pistoles from unibroue. That beer is living off old rep as well. Not sure if any of those are in the top 50 right now, but that's an example. A lot of the newer beers you see in there are there for good reason though, imo.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:19 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Does anybody brew their own beer? I'm thinking of going to a beer brewing store and brewing up a batch.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:23 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
Does anybody brew their own beer? I'm thinking of going to a beer brewing store and brewing up a batch.
Haven't got into homebrewing yet, but I plan to as soon as I move into a house. This apartment just wouldn't work, and I can't afford everything right now anyway. I want to get all the best equipment I can find, and do it the right way from the get go. Seems like the perfect hobby though. If you try it, let us know how it turns out. What style are you thinking of doing?
Old 05-22-2007, 04:28 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Haven't got into homebrewing yet, but I plan to as soon as I move into a house. This apartment just wouldn't work, and I can't afford everything right now anyway. I want to get all the best equipment I can find, and do it the right way from the get go. Seems like the perfect hobby though. If you try it, let us know how it turns out. What style are you thinking of doing?
I'm thinking of starting out by brewing at a beer brewing place, not buying the equipment and doing it at home. A buddy of mine did this and said it tasted pretty good and it's really cheap (I'll be paying about $100 for 6 cases when 6 cases of the cheapest beer is about $180 or so). Plus, there's nothing like the satisfaction of drinking your own beer.

As for what style, I'm thinking of starting with something basic. One of the flavours at the place I'm thinking of going to is called "Canadian Select" (which they compare to Molson Canadian, a beer I enjoy). I'm not sure that I want to venture into something very complicated my first time before I see how it turns out.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:37 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here are two of the best beers I've ever put to my lips:

It's brewed in New Orleans in Cypress barrels which gives it a distinct taste. I do think they moved to Houston after Hurricane Katrina.

My favorite stout.

Other beers I really enjoy are (in no particular order):

Smithwick's Irish Stout
Pabst Blue Ribbon
Schlitz
and many more.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:37 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
I'm thinking of starting out by brewing at a beer brewing place, not buying the equipment and doing it at home. A buddy of mine did this and said it tasted pretty good and it's really cheap (I'll be paying about $100 for 6 cases when 6 cases of the cheapest beer is about $180 or so). Plus, there's nothing like the satisfaction of drinking your own beer.

As for what style, I'm thinking of starting with something basic. One of the flavours at the place I'm thinking of going to is called "Canadian Select" (which they compare to Molson Canadian, a beer I enjoy). I'm not sure that I want to venture into something very complicated my first time before I see how it turns out.
Awesome idea. I should check to see if there's anywhere around here I could do that. I'd still need a place to store the finished product though. I agree about the satisfaction of drinking your own beer. It'd be cool to share your creation with friends too, and hear their criticism. I see a lot of homebrewing in my future regardless of how my first batch turns out. Seems like something I would become fanatical about.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:38 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Awesome idea. I should check to see if there's anywhere around here I could do that. I'd still need a place to store the finished product though. I agree about the satisfaction of drinking your own beer. It'd be cool to share your creation with friends too, and hear their criticism. I see a lot of homebrewing in my future regardless of how my first batch turns out. Seems like something I would become fanatical about.
I would love to get into homebrewing but, like you, I have serious space constraints.

The biggest downside about brewing my own is that it's going to be stored in plastic bottles. That means it'll only last about 8 weeks or so if kept in a dark, cool place.