Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 05-20-2007, 09:09 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Haha...Miami will never dominate like it used to. If for no other reason than they aren't in the Big East anymore. Not hard to dominate when you play Temple and Rutgers every week.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:17 PM    (permalink
saintsfan912
Pro Bowler

saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebow305 View Post
Do you have an idea how good we did in recruiting this year? With a first year Head Coach. Shannon has done a ridiculously good job of bringing people in after the firing of Coker and assuring them of Miami returning to dominance and down the right path to championship football. We had one of our better recruiting classes in the last couple years, even landing a 5 star prospect, after how lousy we were last season. Shannon has completely turned the program around already in his short time there and the return to dominance will be MUCH sooner rather than later, I can assure you of that!
The recruiting class wasnt that great. You are bragging about 1 5 star recruit? Thats when you know your sad.

Big time Thank You to BoneKrusher!

Who Dat Nation!
saintsfan912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:09 PM    (permalink
Acreboy
Pro Bowler

Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
I'm gonna enjoy seeing John Parker Wilson getting lit up all day this season.
I think he only signed up to play baseball at Bama

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Haha...Miami will never dominate like it used to. If for no other reason than they aren't in the Big East anymore. Not hard to dominate when you play Temple and Rutgers every week.
Don't forget Duke
Acreboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 11:18 PM    (permalink
reese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriots-Lions View Post
Miami is 35-14 (.714) over the last four years. LSU is 44-8 (.846) in that same span. Miami's dominance in the early part of the century lasted for four years. LSU's is currently at four years and counting. Both teams have the same amount of wins since the 2000 season. Either Miami fans don't realize how good LSU has been lately or they are still living off of back to back National Championship appearances that happened five years ago. LSU has been consistantly as dominant as Miami has over the last 5-6 years. Sure, Miami had their nice little run in the late 80's/early 90's but that really has no effect on right now. LSU is currently the superior program. I can understand Miami's excitement and optimism for next season. I like Randy Shannon and thinks he's going to help right the ship. But hiring a new coach and pulling in the 18th ranked recruiting class isn't going to bring them back to being an elite program over night.

i wouldnt say lsu has dominated anything...except the SEC west mabe...over the last 10 years uga, florida, and tenn..have the most wins overall and in the order i listed
Old 05-20-2007, 11:22 PM    (permalink
VY10
Rookie

VY10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreboy View Post
I think he only signed up to play baseball at Bama
Thats his brother, the kid from Two A Days, ROSS WILSON.

John Parker was the starting quarterback for Bama last year.
VY10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 11:24 PM    (permalink
reese

Quote:
Originally Posted by reese View Post
i wouldnt say lsu has dominated anything...except the SEC west mabe...over the last 10 years uga, florida, and tenn..have the most wins overall and in the order i listed

heres the link

http://www.southernpigskin.com/page....cat=exclusives
Old 05-20-2007, 11:29 PM    (permalink
VY10
Rookie

Quote:
When I look at those teams, I laugh when I think of the Big East and the ACC.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:34 PM    (permalink
TCU
All-Pro

TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.

I like Saban he is identical to Jose Mourino if any of yall know who he is.

former #1 in post count on this site
first to 500 posts
TCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 12:05 AM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsfan912 View Post
The recruiting class wasnt that great. You are bragging about 1 5 star recruit? Thats when you know your sad.
You guys only had 2.. I wouldn't brag if I were you. And yes I brag about 1 5 star because we had a down year, a TERRIBLE season. You guys "dominated this year" and only came up with one more 5 star recruit than us. Great job! Can someone get this guy a cookie please!

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 12:28 AM    (permalink
NittanyLion2k7
Pro Bowler

NittanyLion2k7 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I don't think people are giving Nick Saban enough credit...

If you look at the years before Nick Saban got there... http://www.tigerroar.com/football/history/1990s.php

There were only 3 winning seasons in the 90's before Nick Saban got there, the best being 10-2 and a Peach Bowl win, hardly dominating. Hate to say it but Nick Saban really did build LSU.

2000 8-4 5-3 Nick Saban Peach Bowl 22
2001 10-3 5-3 Nick Saban Sugar Bowl 7
2002 8-5 5-3 Nick Saban Cotton Bowl
2003 13-1 7-1 Nick Saban Sugar Bowl 1
2004 9-3 6-2 Nick Saban Capital One Bowl 16

If you look at the years Nick Saban was there, they were pretty impressive years. They went to the BCS 2 out of 5 years and took home a National Title. That didn't happen the entire 2 decades before he was there. People need to step back and realize that maybe he's not just blowing steam...
NittanyLion2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 12:42 AM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.

I honestly blame a lot of LSU's troubles before Saban arrived on Gerry DiNardo. He recruited really well but he couldn't coach them up. He had a few good years but really lost it in the last two years he was around. Saban stepped in and took a pretty talented team to medial success at first.

I'll give him credit where credit is due. He loaded the program. To say he built it may be a bit much, but he defintely left it stocked well. His problem was that he didn't exactly coach them up too well. He only had one season with less than 3 losses.

Last edited by TigerBait45 : 05-21-2007 at 12:46 AM.
TigerBait45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:30 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
And I guess that demolishing of Nebraska in the NC was nothing?

I know that class won't turn Miami around overnight, and I seriously doubt we will even be in the ACC championship with the QBs we have.

Also PL, Miami had a 6 loss season last year and it had a lot to do with things other than the talent of the players. Before last year, when Miami was having a 2 year down period, we still had a better record that LSU.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:07 AM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NittanyLion2k7 View Post
I don't think people are giving Nick Saban enough credit...

If you look at the years before Nick Saban got there... http://www.tigerroar.com/football/history/1990s.php

There were only 3 winning seasons in the 90's before Nick Saban got there, the best being 10-2 and a Peach Bowl win, hardly dominating. Hate to say it but Nick Saban really did build LSU.

2000 8-4 5-3 Nick Saban Peach Bowl 22
2001 10-3 5-3 Nick Saban Sugar Bowl 7
2002 8-5 5-3 Nick Saban Cotton Bowl
2003 13-1 7-1 Nick Saban Sugar Bowl 1
2004 9-3 6-2 Nick Saban Capital One Bowl 16

If you look at the years Nick Saban was there, they were pretty impressive years. They went to the BCS 2 out of 5 years and took home a National Title. That didn't happen the entire 2 decades before he was there. People need to step back and realize that maybe he's not just blowing steam...
And every year Saban was there, with the exception of the NC season, the team underachieved. He was a hell of a recruiter but he gets far too much credit as a coach, if anything. The talent at LSU, due in large part to Saban's recruiting, was right up there with being the best in the nation, and I think we could have won a couple of National Championships if he was a better coach.

I'm still thankful for what Saban did while he was here, but god has he turned into an unloyal ass since he left. Instead of bashing LSU, he should be thanking them for giving him a bigger stage to really make a name for himself; if he never would have left Michigan State, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Les Miles has done a fine job of recruiting, and he's much better at coaching them up. LSU is going to crumble after the remainder of Saban's recruits graduate? Laughable. Miles' boys are going to lead LSU to it's greatest days.
The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

Sig by jkpigskin
TPFKA#1SaintsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:52 AM    (permalink
Finsfan79
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Finsfan79 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I came in here to talk of Nick Satan not argue about Da U vs LSU. LSU has been a very good team for the past few years and in my opinion should of been in more national title games durring that time. They have been the class of the SEC.

Now to compare them to the canes teams (specially the 2000-2003 teams) are a little bit unfair. Those canes teams could be considered perhaps some of the greatest teams ever for college football (specially that 2001 team).

One of the biggest hurts for miami's recruitment in the past few years was the problems with the grades. Our standards are higher then most schools (including LSU) so we have lost some recruits to such places. As for the past season of recruitment I would say Miami did very well when coming off of a terrible season like that with a coaching change. Was the class as good as LSU and USC? No, but for what little time Randy Shannon had and with all of the changes he did very well you would have to admit. We also already have two 5 Star recruits locked up for next year.

As for Nick Satan, he is not allowed to recruit at St . Thomas down here in florida. One of the top High Schools in the country wont let anyone from Alabama recruit there. :) Because of how they treated shula and then his own lying ways. I think you all might find that highly amusing in many respects.

I dont see a reason for us to argue, heck if anything we both should be on the same side of the Saban issue with Michigan State folks. People that have seen that he is a lying piece of crap.
Finsfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:23 AM    (permalink
-black
Pro Bowler

-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

sounds like the new Steve Spurrier (except not as good as a coach).

-sig by jkpigskin
-black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:47 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well what has Miami done that is so special? They haven't done jack since joining the ACC and their "dominance" came in the weak Big East. Over the last six years Miami has one more conference championship than LSU does. The Big East was a joke at that time. Miami only had to show up for one conference game a year during that three year stretch, and that was Virginia Tech. One year, Pittsburgh was fairly competitive. Miami dominated the garbage that was the Big East and they haven't done crap in the ACC.

The Last ten years is a big time frame. I don't think anyone is arguing who has been the better program over the last decade. The debate is which team was the better program over the last few years. That link you provided includes seasons of LSU football that were before the Nick Saban era. Over the last six years, LSU leads the SEC in wins (not 100% sure, but it looks to be the case) and they have more conference titles than Florida, Auburn, and Tennessee. It was a nice attempt, but I'm actually surprised that LSU is as high as it is. Considering that LSU had a whopping 16 wins in the three year span before Nick Saban got there, only being 10 wins back over a 10 year period is prettty good.

Listen, I don't like LSU and I don't dislike Miami. I just think people are short changing LSU when it comes to this discussion. Right now, at this moment and over the last few years, LSU is and has been the superior football program. Miami had their run in the early 00's, and LSU is having their run right now.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:57 AM    (permalink
-black
Pro Bowler

-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

im pretty sure Auburn has been a better program than LSU the last few years. I believe aside from the 1 NC year and this past season, LSU had lost at least 3 games in every season (even with Saban). Auburn has been alot more consistent

-sig by jkpigskin
Old 05-21-2007, 10:58 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
Also PL, Miami had a 6 loss season last year and it had a lot to do with things other than the talent of the players. Before last year, when Miami was having a 2 year down period, we still had a better record that LSU.
Actually, in the 2003-2005 span (not including last year for Miami or LSU) Miami is 29-8 and LSU is 33-6. I don't understand how the 6-6 record can just be thrown aside or ignored like some Miami fans want it to. Yes, it was a horrible season that isn't likely to happen again. But it did happen. Miami has no one to blame but themselves. After Butch Davis left them they made a crappy hire in Larry Coker and they stayed with Coker for too long. He should've been fired after the 2004 season when it was evident that he wasn't recruiting up to Miami standards and the team was underacheiving. But the poor decision to keep Larry Coker around shouldn't take away from LSU's accomplishments.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:06 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by -black View Post
im pretty sure Auburn has been a better program than LSU the last few years. I believe aside from the 1 NC year and this past season, LSU had lost at least 3 games in every season (even with Saban). Auburn has been alot more consistent
Actually, since 2001:

LSU: 1 National Championship, 2 SEC Championships, 62-16 record, 4 double digit win seasons, 3 seasons with three losses or more

Auburn: 0 National Championships, 1 SEC Championship, 56-19 record, 2 double digit win seasons, 4 seasons with three losses or more
Old 05-21-2007, 11:16 AM    (permalink
-black
Pro Bowler

hmmm, your correct judgeing since 2001. I just think the whole LSU program has been underachieving (cant complain tho).

in the grand scheme of things though

going undefeated>losing

-sig by jkpigskin

Last edited by -black : 05-21-2007 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:32 AM    (permalink
Acreboy
Pro Bowler

Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VY10 View Post
Thats his brother, the kid from Two A Days, ROSS WILSON.

John Parker was the starting quarterback for Bama last year.
I said that because I thought John Parker graduated for some reason.
Acreboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 12:50 PM    (permalink
reese

Quote:
Well what has Miami done that is so special? They haven't done jack since joining the ACC and their "dominance" came in the weak Big East. Over the last six years Miami has one more conference championship than LSU does. The Big East was a joke at that time. Miami only had to show up for one conference game a year during that three year stretch, and that was Virginia Tech. One year, Pittsburgh was fairly competitive. Miami dominated the garbage that was the Big East and they haven't done crap in the ACC.

The Last ten years is a big time frame. I don't think anyone is arguing who has been the better program over the last decade. The debate is which team was the better program over the last few years. That link you provided includes seasons of LSU football that were before the Nick Saban era. Over the last six years, LSU leads the SEC in wins (not 100% sure, but it looks to be the case) and they have more conference titles than Florida, Auburn, and Tennessee. It was a nice attempt, but I'm actually surprised that LSU is as high as it is. Considering that LSU had a whopping 16 wins in the three year span before Nick Saban got there, only being 10 wins back over a 10 year period is prettty good.

Listen, I don't like LSU and I don't dislike Miami. I just think people are short changing LSU when it comes to this discussion. Right now, at this moment and over the last few years, LSU is and has been the superior football program. Miami had their run in the early 00's, and LSU is having their run right now.
1st off i wasnt arguing who had the better program...i just responed to someone sayin lsu had dominated the SEC...and u said lsu has the most wins in the last 6 years in the SEC and thats not true..georgia leads in wins over the last 6 years
Old 05-21-2007, 12:56 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.

Yeah, Georgia's had a hell of a program. Richt is a great coach. I expect Georgia to be very competitive this year now that Stafford has some experience with the offense.

The SEC East in general has been brutal the last 10 or so years.
TigerBait45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 01:38 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Actually, in the 2003-2005 span (not including last year for Miami or LSU) Miami is 29-8 and LSU is 33-6. I don't understand how the 6-6 record can just be thrown aside or ignored like some Miami fans want it to. Yes, it was a horrible season that isn't likely to happen again. But it did happen. Miami has no one to blame but themselves. After Butch Davis left them they made a crappy hire in Larry Coker and they stayed with Coker for too long. He should've been fired after the 2004 season when it was evident that he wasn't recruiting up to Miami standards and the team was underacheiving. But the poor decision to keep Larry Coker around shouldn't take away from LSU's accomplishments.
It shouldn't be just cast aside but people are ridiculous to think that is what Miami is going to be like. There were a ridiculous amount of things that happened this year that had nothing to do with player talent. Be it Coker firing the OC and OL coach to save his ass to the death of Bryan Pata and the FIU fight, as well as the injuries.

Over the last few years, yes LSU has been better, but I'm talking about a bigger time frame.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:27 PM    (permalink
VY10
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan View Post
And every year Saban was there, with the exception of the NC season, the team underachieved. He was a hell of a recruiter but he gets far too much credit as a coach, if anything. The talent at LSU, due in large part to Saban's recruiting, was right up there with being the best in the nation, and I think we could have won a couple of National Championships if he was a better coach.
I think that most teams "underachieve" every year due to fans expectations. Personally as a Texas fan, it seems the Longhorns underachieve every single year except when it is a National Championship.