Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 01-21-2007, 09:47 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliez01
Guys, let me just say that your team (minus Caldwell and that phantom PI call against you) played an amazing game.

I may not like Brady, much like you guys and Manning, but I respect the living hell outta him. He plays his ass off every playoff game with a supporting cast of Maroney and company. Your team will continue being great, Brady is only 30 next season and there's youth at RB and there will be younger receivers eventually. Asante Samuel is a stud.

Good luck guys in your future endeavors, and cheers.
Yeah that interfence was almsot as ridiculous as the roughing the passer a few plays before the Colts scored the winner.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:50 PM    (permalink
tylaw24
Rookie

tylaw24 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito
Whatever we've got the draft to look forward to at least.

Cladwell really did blow it big time. Tom "Mr. Clutch" Brady threw an awful pass into double coverage to end it, what a way to go out. All the more reason why we need a #1 target.

CALDWELL CAN NOT CATCH EVEN WHEN LITERALLY NOBODY IS COVERING HIM!
I know, those ones are the toughest to catch! :( I can't imagine how bad Tom feels at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynFNxQ3b5-U
thx ^sig by cardsalltheway^
Michael Griffin #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by doingthisinsteadofwork
the 08 Raiders will be without a doubt the best SB team ever.
tylaw24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:50 PM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good game guys but I dont think we got lucky. You guys came close and your team great. I am just so happy to finally beat them in the playoffs. Good game.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.
RCAChainGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:51 PM    (permalink
Philliez01
All-Pro

Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliez01
Guys, let me just say that your team (minus Caldwell and that phantom PI call against you) played an amazing game.

I may not like Brady, much like you guys and Manning, but I respect the living hell outta him. He plays his ass off every playoff game with a supporting cast of Maroney and company. Your team will continue being great, Brady is only 30 next season and there's youth at RB and there will be younger receivers eventually. Asante Samuel is a stud.

Good luck guys in your future endeavors, and cheers.
Yeah that interfence was almsot as ridiculous as the roughing the passer a few plays before the Colts scored the winner.
Without a doubt there, I remember on SC before the games began they were talking about the Colts-Patriots officiating crew and how the head ref is notorious for his penatly-calling.

Give JKPIGSKIN credit for this masterpiece
Philliez01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:54 PM    (permalink
AZ9er

1. WR
lol
Old 01-21-2007, 10:14 PM    (permalink
Veteran

255979119 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Id rather give up a draft pick to get Welker than get a 50/50 boom/bust player in the draft

Also we need an ILB, and a RT
255979119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:38 PM    (permalink
tylaw24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAChainGang
Good game guys but I dont think we got lucky. You guys came close and your team great. I am just so happy to finally beat them in the playoffs. Good game.
good game . . mumble mumble groan *pulls head in* (I'm imitating Bill Belichick apparently). I could say some stuff right now but it would be all negative and I don't think its necessary right now.

I suppose this post was kind of a 'thank-you for a good game' statement but the "I dont think we got lucky" sorta negates it. There had to be some degree of luck during the game . .there always is . . and that's all I'm going to say.

Michael Griffin #27

Quote:
Old 01-22-2007, 12:23 AM    (permalink
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylaw24
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAChainGang
good game . . mumble mumble groan *pulls head in* (I'm imitating Bill Belichick apparently). I could say some stuff right now but it would be all negative and I don't think its necessary right now.

I suppose this post was kind of a 'thank-you for a good game' statement but the "I dont think we got lucky" sorta negates it. There had to be some degree of luck during the game . .there always is . . and that's all I'm going to say.

A degree of luck I.E. Near fumble by Wayne

This game reminded me of the SD game...only we were on the other end
Old 01-22-2007, 08:31 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tough loss guys, you had it, but the defense blew it in the 2nd half.

If you don't mind, I want to give my take and critique of what went wrong, theres so much to analyze with this game. I personally love defense, and I love the scheme that Bill Parcells, Bellichick and Saban employ (its basically the same exact scheme with different masks). So I was really looking forward to what the Patriots did.

The zones were fine, they had coverage downfield. Bellichick took out Harrison with Samuel, and they doubled up Wayne. They left Clark open, that was the weakness of the coverage that they employed. He either had a LB in man coverage with him or a LB/S zone type of coverage. He was too fast to cover like that, and had his way all day.

In fact, if you go back and look at the tape, Peyton shouldve went to him more, he was open the entire game.

I have 2 issues with the strategy Bellichick employed.

1. Not enough blitzing. He had Peyton rattled everytime he brought the heat. I guess he wasn't confident in his coverage downfield with heavy blitzing, but it worked successfully every time he tried. He needed to do more blitzes, but became far too passive.

2. He didn't 2 gap his dline enough. He slide his line to the right and had Vrabel lined up between the RT/TE far too much. He essentially gave Peyton a 4-3 look with that front. He did this way too much. We all know that Peyton has trouble against a 2 gap scheme, and Bellichick had more success when he was 2 gaping the line and bring both OLBs off the edge. Why did he not adjust?

I think those were his 2 flaws. He didn't blitz enough, and he didn't give enough 3-4 looks. Brady almost bailed him out, and did a terrific job. All the people hating on Brady are just haters, he did a great job. Did you see how he evaded pressure in that game? Unbelievable, only Tom Brady could do that. And I still feel that he's the best qb in the league. You gotta love how when the Colts scored at teh end, the camera zooms in on Brady and he's warming up on the sideline, and he goes "ok" and nods his head like he wanted this to happen. The poise and confidence is what makes him. I really like his game, no great qb in nfl history has done more with less than Brady.

Which leads me to my last point. If you guys kept Branch for this year, you win the SB. I know trading him for a 1st was a great long term move, but right here right now...it cost you another ring.

As far as the draft goes, I know WR is a need, but I wouldn't use a 1st on it. I think a Rushbacker should be drafted. Colvin isn't that great, and Vrabel should be moved inside with Bruschi next year. Draft 2 OLB rush backers to generate better pressure, and resign Samuel and youre back. You guys have one of the more underrrated defenses in the league. The talent is definately there. And with Brady on offense, you guys have the talent to make a push for the SB every year.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:43 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Which leads me to my last point. If you guys kept Branch for this year, you win the SB. I know trading him for a 1st was a great long term move, but right here right now...it cost you another ring.
I don't believe that for one second. Branch is not nearly that great of player that he makes such a difference in a game.
Jughead10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:56 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10
Quote:
I don't believe that for one second. Branch is not nearly that great of player that he makes such a difference in a game.
He didn't have to make a huge difference. But he wouldve made one play here and there, and that would be enough. The WRs were morbid that game, they dropped so many huge plays. Caldwell in particular. If Branch is on that field, that doesn't happen.

Think about it, they were a couple of first downs away from running out the clock and winning. I think Branch wouldve at the very least made that much of a difference for their team.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:00 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Quote:
Quote:
He didn't have to make a huge difference. But he wouldve made one play here and there, and that would be enough. The WRs were morbid that game, they dropped so many huge plays. Caldwell in particular. If Branch is on that field, that doesn't happen.

Think about it, they were a couple of first downs away from running out the clock and winning. I think Branch wouldve at the very least made that much of a difference for their team.
Caldwell did drop the one pass when no one covered him but than again Brady did notice him a bit late and had to rush it. A lot of things could have been different. Caldwell had great position in the end zone on one play and was blatantly interfered with. I think NE had to settle for a FG there. If the refs called that the Pats probably win. I just don't think Branch is a good as cracked up to be. Brady made him, and basically got NE a first rounder in return for him.
Jughead10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:09 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Caldwell did drop the one pass when no one covered him but than again Brady did notice him a bit late and had to rush it. A lot of things could have been different. Caldwell had great position in the end zone on one play and was blatantly interfered with. I think NE had to settle for a FG there. If the refs called that the Pats probably win. I just don't think Branch is a good as cracked up to be. Brady made him, and basically got NE a first rounder in return for him.
I definately agree with that. Branch is definately overrated. But Brady's numbers did take a dive with his absence, and they had good chemistry, which is overlooked alot. I think he wouldve made enough plays in that game had he been there, to help seal the deal, thats all Im saying.

Im definately not hyping him up to be anything more than that though.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:59 PM    (permalink
EHobbs27
Veteran

EHobbs27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
As far as the draft goes, I know WR is a need, but I wouldn't use a 1st on it. I think a Rushbacker should be drafted. Colvin isn't that great, and Vrabel should be moved inside with Bruschi next year. Draft 2 OLB rush backers to generate better pressure, and resign Samuel and youre back. You guys have one of the more underrrated defenses in the league. The talent is definately there. And with Brady on offense, you guys have the talent to make a push for the SB every year.
I think Colvin is our best LB. He IS Great of the edge. We definately need an ILB more then an OLB. As for WR I think we now need one badly.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:10 PM    (permalink
alca1992
Veteran

alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:

1. Not enough blitzing. He had Peyton rattled everytime he brought the heat. I guess he wasn't confident in his coverage downfield with heavy blitzing, but it worked successfully every time he tried. He needed to do more blitzes, but became far too passive.

i think we blitzed too much
Old 01-22-2007, 07:12 PM    (permalink
Santos-Stanton47
Veteran

Santos-Stanton47 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

so the million dollar question

Do we resign Asante?

Do we draft a CB or S?

MLB or OLB? RT or WR?

gosh..im so confused, i thought having two picks would make things great but im not liking our needs right now
Old 01-22-2007, 07:54 PM    (permalink
EHobbs27
Veteran

EHobbs27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I say we do bring back Asante whether or not it be with the franchise tag or not.

I'm just as confused as you are. We need an ILB with speed and good coverage skills, we need a FS who can cover, and we need a WR who can catch the ball. The only problem is I don't know the order of when we will take these 3 positions.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:18 PM    (permalink
tylaw24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santos-Stanton47
so the million dollar question

Do we resign Asante? They should definately try!

Do we draft a CB or S? BOTH!

MLB or OLB? RT or WR? All except RT, I'm unsure why you can added it?

gosh..im so confused, i thought having two picks would make things great but im not liking our needs right now

Michael Griffin #27

Quote:
Old 01-22-2007, 10:15 PM    (permalink
Troj2man
Rookie

Troj2man hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think we can use our 2 first picks on a lb and fs. Maybe the pats will grow balls and spend some money on stallworth? Or they can still get a good wr in the 2nd round with bowie,williams.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:57 PM    (permalink
Veteran

We need a sure handed guy who will eventually take over for Brown, that is why I like Welker, he has decent hands and has shown to be a reliable wideout as a number 3 or 4 guy in MIAMI, he cought 64 balls i believe and will continue to grow better and better, plus he is a stellar punt returner, something we would need to fill
Old 01-23-2007, 11:12 AM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They definitely need to dish out the money and try to keep Asante. He is clearly a key part of their defense; he has had some HUGE interceptions this year, especially in the playoffs. If they let him go, I will be extremely disappointed. I say they need to pick up a new WR for sure. Although Tom hasn’t need someone great in that position in the past, imagine someone who can actually catch the ball out there (cough Reche Caldwell cough :roll: ). They can probably still pick up an ok WR in the second round though, so I agree LB/FS would be their best bet for a first round pick.

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig
terribletowel39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:23 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alycoconuts
They definitely need to dish out the money and try to keep Asante. He is clearly a key part of their defense; he has had some HUGE interceptions this year, especially in the playoffs. If they let him go, I will be extremely disappointed. I say they need to pick up a new WR for sure. Although Tom hasn’t need someone great in that position in the past, imagine someone who can actually catch the ball out there (cough Reche Caldwell cough :roll: ). They can probably still pick up an ok WR in the second round though, so I agree LB/FS would be their best bet for a first round pick.
Yup, thats pretty much the blueprint. You hit it on the head. Although Id be wary of round 1 LBs.

Pioli is not a big fan of drafting ILBs in round 1, and this class doesn't particularly warrant the need to draft a ILB in round 1. Safety is definately a need, and will be taken in the 1st by you guys.

The ILB issue is overrated. 3-4 ILBs are big run stuffers. Youre not gonna get Urlacher in there, those types struggle in the 3-4. Thats why Bellichick runs alot of LB zones, because they can't pursue sideline to sideline in man coverage.

These ILBs in this draft don't fit the 3-4 bill. Theyre all too undersized. Maybe someone is pursued in FA, like Donnie Edwards who has experience to make up for his size defiencies, and perhaps a round 2 LB.

I think you guys should steal Chase Blackburn from us. He's a sleeper waiting to be unleashed, and I guarantee he'd be successful in your scheme. He's RFA though.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:25 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alycoconuts
Yup, thats pretty much the blueprint. You hit it on the head. Although Id be wary of round 1 LBs.

Pioli is not a big fan of drafting ILBs in round 1, and this class doesn't particularly warrant the need to draft a ILB in round 1. Safety is definately a need, and will be taken in the 1st by you guys.

The ILB issue is overrated. 3-4 ILBs are big run stuffers. Youre not gonna get Urlacher in there, those types struggle in the 3-4. Thats why Bellichick runs alot of LB zones, because they can't pursue sideline to sideline in man coverage.

These ILBs in this draft don't fit the 3-4 bill. Theyre all too undersized. Maybe someone is pursued in FA, like Donnie Edwards who has experience to make up for his size defiencies, and perhaps a round 2 LB.

I think you guys should steal Chase Blackburn from us. He's a sleeper waiting to be unleashed, and I guarantee he'd be successful in your scheme. He's RFA though.
Yea of all our constant starting LB's (Colvin-Bruschi-Vrabel-Banta Cain) all of them were DE's out of college. I think NE will take a hard look at Woodley because he is a player that seems like a good fit here, as does Jarvis Moss who is another possibility. David Harris may get a look as well. I dont think Willis, Puz, or any of the other big name LBs have a shot at NE, but I have a feeling that we may end up with Abiamiri (whether it be in round 1 or 2). I see him as a 4-3 DE, but he seems like a player who could end up here. Moses could fall to us but I don't think we would take him.

Also remeber this name - Victor DeGrate, Oklahoma St. I think he may be a days 2 pick by NE. Physically, he is a Colvin clone at 6-3 250 and probably a 4.9 (Colvin ran a 5.0 40). He is a great pass rusher and has experience at OLB. He is a prototypical 3-4 OLB.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:29 PM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

remix 6 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

anyone insider at scout?

can someone tell me if they have anything on who we talked to

i looked around

scott said: Stanton - unlikely we draft him really and he said Chris Davis. I saw on Draftdaddy that we talked w/ Woodley

anyone have anything?
remix 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:39 AM    (permalink
tylaw24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by remix 6
anyone insider at scout?

can someone tell me if they have anything on who we talked to

i looked around

scott said: Stanton - unlikely we draft him really and he said Chris Davis. I saw on Draftdaddy that we talked w/ Woodley

anyone have anything?
Yeah I read the thing about Woodley on Draft Daddy too. I've been looking around the net, and it seems that Belichick has been spotted personally attending multiple Brown games and practices and is interested in an ILB named Zak DeOssie.

The guy has some decent stats and is relatively unheard of. The links I have aren't really that credible, but this the best i could find so early in the scouting process.

This is an interesting article about DeOssie which probably explains why Bill has been spotted at his games:

http://www.boston.com/sports/college...efense/?page=1

Maybe Belichick might take a chance on him . . you never know.

Michael Griffin #27

Quote: