Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 09-12-2011, 10:02 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

But seriously, merry football everyone. The offense looked fantastic tonight. Great to start the year off with a win as the Dolphins are a tougher team than a lot of people realize.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:52 AM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
Our defense is so ******* terrible, I'm having trouble being really happy about this game right now.
I thought the defense looked pretty solid. The Dolphins are just a lot better passing the ball than most gave them credit for, and the defense was in a conservative mode for a lot of the second half.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:56 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
Im worried about McCourty having a bad day but he'll bounce back. What worries me is that Fasano had such a good day. That needs to change soon.

I was really hoping on the last drive Brady would throw one more ball to Gronk and Branch so we could have had 4 100+ yard receivers. That would have been mindblowing
I'm also a little concerned with McCourty. He struggled a lot in man converage against Brandon Marshall who admittedly is a pretty difficult cover one-on-one. He just could never get a good press on him which led to him whiffing and playing in recovery mode all game. I think he'll improve since he's getting used to more man, and he won't see too many receivers as physical as Marshall (although he has Jackson, Burress, and Bryant coming up in the next 5 weeks). Hopefully Dowling can improve quickly because I wouldn't mind seeing him play the more physical guys and McCourty the speedier guys.

Also I'm in panic mode about the Fasano game. He's a decent Tight End who absolutely burned Gary Guyton all game. I think Guyton may become my whipping boy this season with Butler gone. He just seems like a guy who is always a little slow to diagnose plays which neutralizes his 4.4 speed. Since he's going to be our primary coverage LB he needs to improve if we're going to turn Mayo loose, and stop opposing TE's. Not looking forward to Gates next week for sure.

The offense looks boneriffic though. The TE's improved so much in the offseason which I didn't even know was possible. Branch + Welker look back to being their former selves working with Brady, and Woodhead looks good with a full training camp in Foxboro behind him. The line did excellent despite breaking in a whole new right side and Connolly playing at center for most of the game (Solder passed his trial by fire). I'm concerned about Ocho though. I'm starting to think BBD was right when he said that Ocho wouldn't work in NE. He just isn't getting the offense, and doesn't have enough speed to be the vertical threat which is really the only thing we're lacking. I don't think we should carry 6 WR on gameday, yet with Price coming back I feel like Ocho has the least to offer this team so he seems like the obvious scratch for now.

On defense the pass rush ran hot and cold which is an improvement over last year. I think the biggest concern going forward is the linebackers and the safeties. They looked a step behind Henne, Bush, and Fasano the whole game. This could be a spot we address in the draft next year if they don't Guyton and Spikes have problems throughout the season. Also, Spikes was a surprise scratch last night. SMY suggested it might be a conditioning problem which is a bummer since he showed a lot of promise last season. He needs to make fewer sex tapes and spend a bit more time in the Gym. I liked what I saw out of Haynesworth last night. He made a great stop on a running play, got a couple of holding calls out of Incognito, and had a couple of pressures. Carter also did decently despite going against Long the whole game.

I suspect next week we'll see a lot more running plays against the Chargers. I don't think BB wants to get into a shootout with Phillip Rivers, and with Castillo out and the Chargers breaking in some new linebackers I'd suspect this is how they'll go. This is probably their biggest test until Jets week so I'm excited to see how they do.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:11 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In all fairness to McCourty; he struggled with some of these bigger receivers last year at times. I've run the numbers a few times and they don't quite add up like you think they would, but he looked bad on the eyeball test against guys who were 6'2+ at times last years. Dowling might be a better guy to put on those types of receivers at some point down the line due to his press abilities. For a guy that's supposed to be one of the elite young corners in the game, he absolutely needs to do a better job than he did last night though. It's a little concerning for sure.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-13-2011, 10:15 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I mean minus one garbage td and excellent field position on the Brady pick the score wouldnt have been so high, but allowing Henne to throw for 400 is just inexcusable, I don't even want to see what phillip rivers is going to do to us next week. I doubt Brady can throw for 500 yards every game this year haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:21 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I'm pleased with how our offensive line looked overall, sans that one bad drive against Wake by Solder. Solder was kicking the **** out of him until that holding penalty and the sack. The sack was more of a coverage thing, he gave Brady plenty of time...but Wake flat out destroyed him on the holding call. But yeah, he looks like he's a lot better of a player than people expected him to be. It still bears watching if he'll be able to stop bigger defensive ends from bullrushing him, but he deserves a lot of credit for keeping one of the best pass rushers in the league quiet last night.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-13-2011, 10:24 AM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The D needs so much ******* work. Gosh.

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:27 AM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I mean minus one garbage td and excellent field position on the Brady pick the score wouldnt have been so high, but allowing Henne to throw for 400 is just inexcusable, I don't even want to see what phillip rivers is going to do to us next week. I doubt Brady can throw for 500 yards every game this year haha.
The Pats have always given up yards. It's the points that matter. The Dolphins got points on a fluke INT and another when the Pats were up 38-17 and the defense was just in prevent mode.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:47 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Eh. It's still concerning. It was mentioned in the press conference that they were not happy with the amount of yardage they gave up. If not for a few goal line stands, the point spread would have been quite a bit different too. That stuff catches up with you FAST. There's something to be said for scoring defense, but the best way to prevent teams from scoring is to not allow them into easy situations when they can do that.

Bend but don't break doesn't mean bend over.

Oh, and Chad looked cooked last night. Not good in the early goings. I guess he's still learning the offense, but I'm not really expecting much out of him this year after that, to be honest. It's clear that we're going to get the tights ends 120+ catches between them, if things go right. Branch and Welker look like they're going to get there's as well. With Taylor Price still waiting in the wings to make an impact at some point this year, there just might not be a whole lot of balls to go Chad's way. I still think he's a good option to have and makes our receiving core better, but he better not upset the team chemistry if the ball continues not to come his way.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-13-2011, 11:51 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
The Pats have always given up yards. It's the points that matter. The Dolphins got points on a fluke INT and another when the Pats were up 38-17 and the defense was just in prevent mode.
I feel like we were using that excuse all of last year though, and frankly I'd like to see the defense play well for 4 quarters of football. I don't have the stats in front of me, but it seemed that the 3rd down defense was pretty bad again last night, and there were plenty of those 12-15yd passes that we shouldn't give up so easily. The defense needs to improve because as we saw last year the Offense isn't going to win us every game. You can't beat Baltimore, New York, and Pittsburgh by expecting to score 35.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:00 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Yeah, I don't buy it either. I'm not sure the yardage totals the Dolphins put up are totally representative of how we played last night, but you're right, we can't win like that against elite teams.

I think there were some encouraging signs last night. The pass rush looked better to me. The interior with Wilfork and Haynesworth was winning the battle inside almost all night. The ends got pressure on and off. We just didn't finish the plays. A whole ton of Henne's yards came after he was outside of the pocket. We need to do a better job of putting the quarterback on the ground after we break the pocket. I can already see Mark Sanchez doing the same thing to us when we play the Jets.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-13-2011, 12:05 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
Oh, and Chad looked cooked last night. Not good in the early goings. I guess he's still learning the offense, but I'm not really expecting much out of him this year after that, to be honest. It's clear that we're going to get the tights ends 120+ catches between them, if things go right. Branch and Welker look like they're going to get there's as well. With Taylor Price still waiting in the wings to make an impact at some point this year, there just might not be a whole lot of balls to go Chad's way. I still think he's a good option to have and makes our receiving core better, but he better not upset the team chemistry if the ball continues not to come his way.
I'm not bothered by Chad not doing much last night. Everyone else was on fire. I'm just happy that Brady isn't forcing the ball to him. He occupies a spot on the outside and keeps teams with multiple good corners and safeties from keying on Welker and the TEs in the middle of the field. Chad had a lot to do with everyone else getting 1-on-1 match-ups all night long.

As for the defense, this is a whole new look with a lot of new players and guys who haven't played together. It can be a really dominant unit. Let's see how the secondary adjusts to the mistakes they made next week.

Also...anyone think the OL looked a bit better with Connolly at C?

Last edited by nepg : 09-13-2011 at 12:10 PM.
nepg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:12 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
I'm not bothered by Chad not doing much last night. Everyone else was on fire. I'm just happy that Brady isn't forcing the ball to him. He occupies a spot on the outside and keeps teams with multiple good corners and safeties from keying on Welker and the TEs in the middle of the field. Chad had a lot to do with everyone else getting 1-on-1 match-ups all night long.
Considering he only played 18 snaps, I'm just going to have to completely call BS on this. The majority of the production from the passing game came on two tight ends sets, which Chad was the odd man out on. I hope he could do that in the future, but 18 snaps and 3 targets in which he didn't generate great separation just doesn't impress me a heck of a lot. I hope I'm wrong and I still can see him being a valuable contributor within the right context, but I think he's going to be a lot less productive than people pegged him to be.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-13-2011, 03:06 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Considering he only played 18 snaps, I'm just going to have to completely call BS on this. The majority of the production from the passing game came on two tight ends sets, which Chad was the odd man out on. I hope he could do that in the future, but 18 snaps and 3 targets in which he didn't generate great separation just doesn't impress me a heck of a lot. I hope I'm wrong and I still can see him being a valuable contributor within the right context, but I think he's going to be a lot less productive than people pegged him to be.
Dead on balls accurate. lol

I still think he'll contribute, but even my prediction of 700 / 6 is looking a bit ambitious.

As for our D . . . yikes. That's a whole lot of yardage to give up. I like Henne (Go Blue!) but if he can do that we are in trouble against the likes of Rivers and the elite QBs. Still pretty poor on 3rd down and just awful in the pass rush.

Pryor looked very good, though.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:57 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I actually don't think it can get a heck of a lot worse. We've got good defensive backs outside of one questionable safety. Willing to bet that will be one of the worst games we have against the pass all year, even. Concerning as hell and I'm sure really good quarterbacks will go for 300+ against us a bit, but we've got nowhere to go but up. I still really like our personnel. Just not the way they played or the way we utilized them.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-13-2011, 06:05 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah pretty much all of this, nepg idk what you saw but Ocho was barely even on the playing field.

Quote:
Old 09-13-2011, 06:07 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The thing that stuck out to me was Slater making actual catches.

Was the DB that bad?
Old 09-13-2011, 06:21 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Slater has the measurables to run by someone from time to time. I wouldn't mind seeing it every now and again, personally. Killed me with that dropped pass though :/

Almost as bad as Fletcher killed me for not catching that TD pass. That would have been really god damn cool. I hope we get to see more of Fletcher the FB throughout the year haha.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-13-2011, 06:58 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Lol the Dolphins released Sapp after getting destroyed last night including Welker's 99 yard TD.

Quote:
Old 09-13-2011, 07:00 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know what I'm looking forward to more. Brady breaking every record in the books this season or Bill Belichick: A Football Life.

Actually, definitely Belichick.

It's going to be like Education of a Coach but 10x better and with all the stuff that's happened since then. I can't ******* wait.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:16 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I wasn't really following that entire thing until recently. Then I watched the trailer(posting in case anyone hasn't seen it) and it defiantly looks like good stuff.

First time we'll really get to see some of the deep internal stuff that the team is so careful to protect. I'm still shocked they made this.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-13-2011, 08:12 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd seriously pay someone to let me come over and watch the special with them because I have no access to NFLN :(
Old 09-13-2011, 09:57 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Doubt I can help you with that if you're currently at NC State, but you (and anyone else w/o NFLN) are welcome to watch at my house. I have it set to record on the DVR and will likely watch it more than once. I can keep it (both episodes, set to run this and next Thursday) will be set to keep so viewing times can be arranged.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:11 AM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oucho.

Tedy Bruschi tees off on Ochocinco

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9 View Post
Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBess View Post
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Brown Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:10 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Lol the Dolphins released Sapp after getting destroyed last night including Welker's 99 yard TD.
I'm surprised. I would have thought the CB that Branch and Brady abused on a repeated basis would have got the axe first

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote