Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 09-14-2011, 07:12 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
I'd seriously pay someone to let me come over and watch the special with them because I have no access to NFLN :(
If you're willing to drive to Penn State, I'll save you a spot on the sofa.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:01 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bruschi was a little to harsh right there since its only the first game of the year. I do agree that Ocho really needs to step up and learn the play book but his tweet really wasnt anything to come down on like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:04 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think that's taking a shot just to take a shot and is something that doesn't help this team at all. Love Teddy and I CERTAINLY didn't love the way Chad played last night, but with all due respect shut the **** up.

I can see why BB hates the media sometimes.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:07 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
Bruschi’s attitude comes from years in the Patriots’ system. So it’s fair to conclude that at least some of the players on the team — and maybe the head coach — agree with Bruschi’s attitude. And so it’ll be interesting to see how things go for Ochocinco moving forward.
That's an awfully big assumption, both by the author and by Bru in his comments. I'm reasonably sure neither of them know what kind of effort Chad is putting in - film, practice, or otherwise.

The only time ESPN is on for me is Monday nights. But the general reaction to Bru as an analyst is pretty unfavorable, and the bits and pieces I see/read make me believe that reaction is correct. Love ya Tedy, but S.T.F.U.

(There really isn't an anaylist I like, aside from Mayock / Baldy / Gruden.)

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:15 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...headline_stack

Koppen only out for 6-10 weeks, good news. Most of us thought itd be for the season.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:16 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't get why people are unhappy with the 3rd down defense. They gave up the 1st 14% of the time. That's pretty damn good. Even including 4th down they were at like 30% overall. That's where they want to be at at the end of the season, not the 47% they were last year

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:33 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...headline_stack

Koppen only out for 6-10 weeks, good news. Most of us thought itd be for the season.
Connolly at C is an interesting development. I am very curious to see how he does in that spot, as he could provide a few years service w/Koppen on the decline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
I don't get why people are unhappy with the 3rd down defense. They gave up the 1st 14% of the time. That's pretty damn good. Even including 4th down they were at like 30% overall. That's where they want to be at at the end of the season, not the 47% they were last year
That's a surprising stat. The eyeball test doesn't mesh with that. I wonder if the stats would look different if we could extract numbers for 3rd and long conversions. That's really what bothered me most last year, and I feel like we gave up too many conversions on 3rd and long to Miami. It seems like we're a lock to give up a 13+ yard play (usually to a TE) when facing 3rd and 12.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:47 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
Connolly at C is an interesting development. I am very curious to see how he does in that spot, as he could provide a few years service w/Koppen on the decline.

That's a surprising stat. The eyeball test doesn't mesh with that. I wonder if the stats would look different if we could extract numbers for 3rd and long conversions. That's really what bothered me most last year, and I feel like we gave up too many conversions on 3rd and long to Miami. It seems like we're a lock to give up a 13+ yard play (usually to a TE) when facing 3rd and 12.
The biggest thing I took away was for most of the second half they played passively in a prevent type style. Fasano also made some sick catches. The period of after the first defensive drive into the second half when we got up two scores I thought the defense actually played pretty well. SD will be a great test to see how good we are

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:32 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I haven't seen anyone bitching about third down defense. We actually did a pretty good job in those situations and had pretty good pressure all night. We allowed WAY too much yardage on easy passes on first and second though.

As far as Koppen goes, that's good news. It looked like he might have been done for the year and perhaps a lot longer with how nasty that injury looks. Amazing how far we've come with sports medicine and how quick we're getting guys to come back from these horrific injuries. Connolly was pretty solid last night at center, but we'll have to see how long that lasts. I really liked the way he played at times last year before getting bitched on in the playoff game, but it's nice that our depth players are so versatile.

We've apparently signed a guy to take his place as the primary interior backup. Donald Thomas, 4th year guy out of UConn who has spent time with Miami and Detroit. The book on him is that he's an exceptional athlete for the position with great workout numbers, but that he doesn't always play up to them given him poor technique. BB said in the presser that he almost won the job in Miami a few years ago before some sort of injury. Maybe the grass is always greener, but I like the sound of him more than the other backup interior guys we had.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-14-2011, 10:58 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

If youre an olinemen needing help with technique than New England is the place to go.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-14-2011, 11:04 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Apparently he played a bit for them a few years ago and graded out average according to advanced(although subjective) statistics. I'll take that.

But yeah, does anyone else feel like our linebackers played like crap the other night? The front four did what they needed to do, but whatever combination of linebackers we had out there just didn't seem to be all that effective in any part of the game. Granted, the Dolphins only rushed the ball with their backs 13 times and that's a good way to render a linebacking core useless, but they sucked it up in coverage too. Just a poor overall night for that group against the pass and with tackling.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-14-2011, 12:42 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought the linebackers were OK. I give them a pass on the first week since the scheme they're operating with and what each of them is being asked to do this year is so different... But they need to step it up for sure. I think they will. The group is too good not to.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:13 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Seabass is back at practice today. Good news.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-14-2011, 03:02 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
Seabass is back at practice today. Good news.
The OL is so awesome right now. I can't think of a time when it was better in all of Patriots history. I know the Chargers have a really good Run D, but I'd really like to see that Pats run at them with Ridley next week.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:10 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
The OL is so awesome right now. I can't think of a time when it was better in all of Patriots history. I know the Chargers have a really good Run D, but I'd really like to see that Pats run at them with Ridley next week.
The late 70's lines with Hannah, Gray, and Francis as a blocking TE were probably better, but this years if Connolly and Waters hold up could be the best in a while.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:48 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Lol how quickly opinions change. Like three weeks ago we were all saying how badly our O-line needs to get some help after the Lions, now we have the best O-line in Pats history. I just kind of had to laugh at this.

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Jvig43 : 09-14-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:42 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I'm not ready to say that yet, personally. Not at all. Matt Light is still a weak point. Dan Connolly is still a weak point. We've seen all of one game of Brian Waters. Nate Solder looked great on the big stage, but let's see how he does against guys who try to bull rush him instead of go around him.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-14-2011, 05:46 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Is Connolly really a weak point if he's the C?
Old 09-14-2011, 05:49 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Is Connolly really a weak point if he's the C?
He played well against the Dolphins, but he will get internally raped against the Jets and Bills.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:57 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

If he can run the OL (he should be able to...he's been with the team for awhile now), he could be a big upgrade over Koppen in a lot of ways. So long as Waters doesn't draw flags like he's been atypically prone to the last two years, he should be a good fit on the right side.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:06 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Eh. Until he proves himself to be any better at in than he is at guard, we can't make assumptions like that.

Bad news breaking late tonight; Mike Wright suffered another concussion. Might be a good while before we see him play, if at all again this year. He had just gotten healthy towards the end of camp. Another concussion so soon can't be a good sign.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-14-2011, 07:34 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
The late 70's lines with Hannah, Gray, and Francis as a blocking TE were probably better, but this years if Connolly and Waters hold up could be the best in a while.
It's normal the younger generation only seems to live in the present. Glad to see someone mention "greats" like John Hannah and Leon Gray and i would add Sam Adams and Pete Brock, who werent chopped liver either.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:01 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

A guy we all finally agreed was overrated (Connolly) + an OG signed a week ago + Light at LT in the twilight of his career + a solid performance by Solder against a speed guy = greatest line ever?

Somebody check nepg for concussion symptoms.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:09 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
A guy we all finally agreed was overrated (Connolly) + an OG signed a week ago + Light at LT in the twilight of his career + a solid performance by Solder against a speed guy = greatest line ever?

Solder's main weakness (coming from Colorado) was either consistency or speed rushers. So seeing him handle Wake (who is basically a speed guy) is great.

Soldier+Mankins+Vollmer+Brian Waters+Connolly is a top 5 OL in the NFL.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:42 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:

Connolly is overrated as an OG. At C, his natural position, he could be a real stud considering the time he spent bulking up to handle big lineman as an OG (admittedly, he's a fairly unknown at C - but there is potential for him to be really really good there). Waters is still one of the better OG's in the NFL as long as he isn't getting flagged.