Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 10-01-2011, 10:42 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I'll take Adrian Peterson and Jared Allen plus your first rounder please. Thank you, come again.
Bleh, Jared Allen would not be a good player in this system. Half his pressures come from being allowed to play a 9 technique and looping into the middle of the defense. Things he'd never do here.

I'm thinking to Washington for Orakpo, Landry + a first would be better. Come on New Orleans start losing for us pleaaaaseeee!
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:21 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jared Allen would be a good player in just about any system, so I don't buy that he wouldn't succeed here. He's become underrated, idk why. I'd love to see him in NE even though that'll never happen.

Landry? The guy sucks, I want no part of him. Orakpo in the other hand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:34 PM    (permalink
ryno626
Rookie

ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How has Dan Connolly looked at center? It is pretty hard to catch a Pats game living in the midwest.
ryno626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:18 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Jared Allen would be a good player in just about any system, so I don't buy that he wouldn't succeed here. He's become underrated, idk why. I'd love to see him in NE even though that'll never happen.

Landry? The guy sucks, I want no part of him. Orakpo in the other hand...
Don't really want to get into this because I could go for days on this, but Allen is the most overrated player in the entire NFL. His reputation has taken a hit the past couple years for the better, but to me he is a one way player who looks more effective rushing the passer than he actually is because of the freedom he is allowed. Trent Cole is twice the player he is and gets 1/10th the love.

Ryno in response to your question Connolly has looked very good the past couple of weeks. He kept Kyle Williams practically silent. If he keeps it up he could be the long term replacement for Dan Koppen once Cannon is healthy.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:22 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mike Reiss ran the numbers on our corners;

Devin McCourty - 36 targets, 24 receptions (66%), 378 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT, 129.2 QB rating
Ras-I Dowling - 7 targets, 3 receptions (42.9%), 74 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT, 81.8 QB rating
Kyle Arrington - 13 targets, 5 receptions (38.5%), 79 yards, 0 TD, 3 INT, 19.9 QB rating
Leigh Bodden - 16 targets, 10 receptions (62.5%), 176 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 120.8 QB rating

So yeah, out of that, I would say that

A)We have a massive problem defending the pass and McCourty and Bodden need to get their **** together.

B) Relative to on the field time, Dowling has been on our best guy this year. Arrington is doing pretty well in his new role, but Dowling has played the boundary role and hasn't been picked on a lot when he's out there. That lines up with what we've seen with him and not allowing a whole ton of separation. Extremely small sample size, but encouraging nonetheless. He's a pure man guy though, so we'll have to see how he adapts to potentially having to play more zone due to the overall ineptitude of our defense. He also REALLY needs to stay healthy.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 10-01-2011 at 04:25 PM.
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:14 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

So more negative news on the injury front. Dowling, Bodden, and Haynesworth are all out against the Raiders. They are in addition to Vollmer, Wright, and Hernandez who we already knew were going to be out. This certainly won't help our pass defense. Get ready for some Antwan Molden!

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/...igh-bodden-out

It's tough because we don't really know what the status of this defense collectively is until the key components all play together, which besides for week 1 they really haven't.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:08 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's panic time about this defense guys.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 10-02-2011, 05:10 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, it's pretty ******* terrible. I think this is the worst defense I've seen in the 12 years I've been following the Patriots. WTF? We should've gotten Robert Quinn. :(

Quote:
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:12 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Or any front seven player. This is pathetic on all fronts. I like this class so much less than I like last years on top of it.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 10-02-2011, 05:25 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I hate this defense so god damn much.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 10-02-2011, 06:36 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What happened to Woodhead? He is on my ff team
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:20 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Hey guys! Another 500 yards on our defense!

...but seriously, coverage was better looked a lot more comfortable in zone. Hopefully that gets them going a bit.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 10-02-2011, 07:44 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm slightly confident they'll get it worked out.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:07 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Apparently Jerod Mayo is going to be out for "a while" according to Tom Curran.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:09 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Gives us a good opportunity to find out how good he is. Mayo is a good player...but I feel like he's become overrated. I'm pretty confident in Fletcher stepping up.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 10-02-2011, 11:47 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well it was a good day for us today, we get a win and the Bills, Dolphins, and Jets lose. Terrific. Sanchez looks terrible too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:49 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I'm nervous about the Jets losing. I can't see a Rex Ryan coached team losing 3 in a row. I have a feeling we're going to be facing a HIGHLY motivated Jets team that already wants to prove that they can dominate us again.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 10-03-2011, 12:23 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the Jets just aren't that good this year. They lost a lot in the off-season and brought in...Plaxico Burress? Their biggest move was simply not losing Holmes...but they lost 3 of their other Top 4 receivers.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:46 AM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Could you imagine what the Patriots would look like if they had even an average defense?

With all these draft picks over the past few years plus BB as coach how on earth can this defense be so bad? It appears to boil down to bad drafting and personal decisions. I can't see us winning another Super Bowl - hell, another playoff game - unless and until something changes with the defenisve talent (or lack thereof) we acquire.

Last edited by Blackluck : 10-03-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Blackluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:30 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sanchez has a history of looking like Steve Young against us.
With our D looking like it's at an all-time low... I'm a bit worried.
If Haynesworth, Dowling and Bodden are back this week... then I'll feel a lot better.
Hopefully S.Ellis will be motivated to play and prove to the Jets he's worth more than a vet min. contract.
If Seabass is back too... that'd be a big bonus too so we won't be so thin up front.

With all that said, basically, if we're healthier come next week... I'd like our chances that much more.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:51 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackluck View Post
Could you imagine what the Patriots would look like if they had even an average defense?

With all these draft picks over the past few years plus BB as coach how on earth can this defense be so bad? It appears to boil down to bad drafting and personal decisions. I can't see us winning another Super Bowl - hell, another playoff game - unless and until something changes with the defenisve talent (or lack thereof) we acquire.
Get off the ledge for a second, alright? It's not like we didn't try to address pass rush in the draft. We drafted loads of defensive players, but we still need a few pieces - that's basically it. Who didn't think Shawn Crable would be a stud for us? Who thought Cunningham wouldn't see the field un his second season? I hoped that we went up and got Robert Quinn this year like most other Pats fans, but I think I know why BB didn't: We're very young on defense, maybe even too young. Next year looks like a bad year for pass rush needy teams, so this isn't going away soon. I think we're going to see the defense improve, although it's going to take some time. Also, I hope that we're going to stay with the zone defense, because even though we gave up some plays yesterday they looked the best they have all season (which isn't saying a whole lot, but still). No need to panic just yet. I feel pretty good about the Jets game. Their OL is ****, and unless they're getting Mangold back Wilfork and AH is going to be in Sanchez' face for most of the day. I'm also expecting more from Ellis this sunday, he didn't look good on a couple of occasions yesterday.

Quote:
Old 10-03-2011, 12:40 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Aaron Hernandez is key for the Patriots playing well. He needs to be healthy.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:50 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Wow, I don't think I could possibly disagree with a post more than I disagree with the one Razor made. There's absolutely reason to panic about this defense and you're deluding yourself if you think otherwise. I'm not sure "a few pieces" is all we need when we're giving up 500 yards a game to bum offenses. You simply don't have one of the worst defenses in the league without having something very wrong at a fundamental level.

As far as specifics; Crable is an interesting name to bring up. We all had high hopes for him....like four years ago. If we're still blaming a 3rd round pick from four years ago as one of the reasons the defense isn't where it should be, you know somethings wrong. Cunningham is nothing special and it really shouldn't come as a massive shock to anyone either after all the negative reviews came out about him in training camp and his general ineffectiveness last year. I thought he was a reach as a second round pick and so did a lot of other people. I can understand people getting excited because we addressed a need, but I really don't think people should be surprised he hasn't worked out given those factors.

We're not going to win a championship with a finesse defense that can't even play finesse defense well. The front office gets a lot of credit for going out and trying to improve the talent level with the personnel we've brought in this year....but regardless of how much we all want to talk about "low risk/high reward" for these types of moves, they aren't cutting it right now and just accent how bad of a job we've done in bringing the right guys in through the draft. I'm willing to bet we get better as the year goes on, but this is a hell of a place to start from.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 10-03-2011, 02:08 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

I'm not blaming Shawne Crable for the lack of pass rush, get real man. I was responding to Blackluck saying that the FO needs to draft better. I think we're doing alright. I'd love to have a dominant defense, I'd actually prefer that to a dominant offense. But it's not like they're not trying. I wanted Robert Quinn, I was made that they didn't went after him. But I understand why they didn't. I think it's pathetic that Patriots fans start acting like the team sucks when the slightest of things go wrong. We're used to winning in style, I get that. But there's no reason to call out the FO for what's happening. Players aren't playing to their level right now, that's pretty obvious. For me this falls on the coaching staff, not on Bill Belichick. I think we're suffering for having the coaching staff poached each year. But that's just my theory. The talent is there, but they need to do more in practice and in the film room than they're doing right now.

Quote:
Old 10-03-2011, 02:19 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

It's not pathetic to think we could be better because we entirely could. We've been one of the more consistently disappointing teams for a few years now without addressing any of the things that got us there. We're also watching the very issues we refused to address until recently get worse and worse. I don't know about you, but I'm not content with having a team that's not capable of winning a championship when you've got the best quarterback in the NFL in the twilight of his prime.

I appreciate everything the coaching staff/front office has done for us. They've re-invented the way people see the game in the region and had one of the best runs in the history of the sport. That doesn't mean they get a free pass for putting out a team that can't play defense for multiple years.

R.I.P. Junior Seau