Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 10-31-2011, 08:52 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

...and again, the horrifying thing is that I don't know where the light is at the end of the tunnel. We really aren't building towards anything substantial at this rate. I have a hard time seeing us doing an about face and start bringing in great players at this point. Even if we did, it'll still take time to season them, getting them ready to their best play football at the highest level and then to draft enough of them. It's not like we're one or two players away; we're up **** creek without a paddle right now. We've got no identity to fall back to on defense and we're only getting older at the core on offense. It's borderline infuriating.

...but at least we've got a ton of good core special teamers who moonlight and practice squad linebackers and safeites.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 10-31-2011 at 09:09 PM.
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:58 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And alot of draft picks, and some first rounders which we'll trade down with to continue and stock pile useless DBs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:02 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really can't do anything but echo the opinions already given here be EE and nepg. We suck on defense, and there's no way around it. I think that if we look at our defense and ask: who would play on a truly elite defense these are the names I can come up with:
Vince Wilfork (best player on defense by a wide margin)
Jerod Mayo (Good, but not great)
Brandon Spikes (would fill out his role as SILB to perfection if he keeps his head on straight)
Devin McCourty (needs good pass rush up front, but could be an elite corner if he regains his confidence - a big if imo)
Pat Chung (will never be elite, but could carve out a role as an enforcer in the defensive backfield)

... and that's assuming we find elite or very good players at the other positions. A very big assumption.

So that five players, and none of those play DE or OLB. Ugh... So that pretty much leaves us without a chance on defense. We'll stay competitive, but that's only due to Tom Brady. He is to me the definition of an elite quarterback and a model professional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:16 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think you guys are being a bit harsh on the defense.

Yes, they are bad. But the really good news is that they are only really bad in one place: 3rd down defense. If the Patriots get a few more 3rd downs stops per game, they'll be a top 10 defense. They already generate quite a few 3rd and 5+s. They're good in the red zone.

Most of NE's problems in coverage are blown assignments. Like when someone goes deep and someone runs the under, two guys will bite down on the under leaving the deep route 1 on 1.

Spikes and Ihedigbo seem to be the worst offenders, but maybe I'm just remembering specific plays.

There is no doubt that NE needs a safety, maybe another corner (though if Dowling can stay healthy. . .), and a rush end on defense (no disrespect to the current group, but they are stop gaps at best)... they could be an elite defense in 2012.

The only place that NE is 32nd in the league in is 3rd down defense.

Last edited by descendency : 11-01-2011 at 08:20 AM.
descendency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:46 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

More wonderful news for us.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...headline_stack

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:47 AM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Edelman is my hero.
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:51 AM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post

Most of NE's problems in coverage are blown assignments. Like when someone goes deep and someone runs the under, two guys will bite down on the under leaving the deep route 1 on 1.
Yes. This. Which annoys me because we're supposed to have a defensive guru to help them along with these mental hurdles.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
BradysKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:58 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
They've had Edelman benched anyway (which makes no sense to me).
Old 11-01-2011, 10:16 AM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Yeah I dont get it either. Starting to think the problems are higher up than the players.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
Old 11-01-2011, 10:17 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
What happened to Edelman? After his rookie year, I heard a lot of Patriot fans saying they should let Welker go and Edelman could step in and be just as good. But since then, he hasn't done much of anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:19 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
What happened to Edelman? After his rookie year, I heard a lot of Patriot fans saying they should let Welker go and Edelman could step in and be just as good. But since then, he hasn't done much of anything.
His best fit is Welker's role...but they have Welker. He's a really good return man. He'd beast it on another team that needs a slot receiver. The Pats just don't use him in the offense. It's really discouraging.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:23 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, Edelman looks pretty well screwed and deservedly so. The bits of the Police Report leaking out look like they've got very strong evidence to make a conviction. With a good lawyer, they can whittle it down to a civil matter, but his time with the team may be up after this. We're very good at giving guys a clean slate when they come in...but whereas this happened on our watch it might be a different story.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 11-01-2011, 10:27 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
Yeah, Edelman looks pretty well screwed and deservedly so. The bits of the Police Report leaking out look like they've got very strong evidence to make a conviction. With a good lawyer, they can whittle it down to a civil matter, but his time with the team may be up after this. We're very good at giving guys a clean slate when they come in...but whereas this happened on our watch it might be a different story.
That **** never goes over well in Boston, though. The fans, media, and community just won't stand for such things. Edelman's done in New England :(

Wil Cordero, Christian Peter...
Old 11-01-2011, 02:22 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think our issues on defense are simply square pegs in round holes.

Sure now that Bodden is gone and Dowling is Ir'd the only CB who would start for another team is Mccourty and the safeties after Chung aren't great but there are worse secondarys in the league.

The problem is up front.

At DT Wilfork is a stud no doubt, Haynesworth has actually been ok despite the stat line but then you get guys like Brace, Deaderick and Love.

Don't get me wrong, I love Kyle Love but none of these guys are going to do any great damage on 3rd down defense.

At DE Carter is playing well now but Shaun Ellis hasn't produced and Mark Anderson has not done much when it matters. Add in the fact that Cunningham is sucking it up this year and it's not good.

You can't look at the defensive line and say;

Ok there's your NT, there's your 5 techniques, there's your 3 techniques etc.

When looking at the Pats front you see a lot of guys who can play multiple roles but there's no one like Jared Allen who you can say-he's the DE we need to watch for.

There's no penetrating DT to blow up interior linemen.

Vince Wilfork is the leagues best NT and he doesn't always play there!!!

It's frustrating to say the least. I would prefer to go out and get a guy who can play one position to a pro bowl level than someone who can play multiple positions well.

How often does Demarcus Ware drop into coverage???

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:49 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With all this negativity towards the D I'd like to mention how good Andre Carter has been. He's the only guy seemingly capable of beating a lineman one-on-one we've had in 2 years. Not a long term solution by any means, but he's one of the 2 guys I'd give an A to so far on that side of the ball. Combine that with the fact that he's a far better run defender than we expected, and he was an absolute steal that late in free agency. I shudder at the thought of what our defense would look like without him.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:38 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Carter has been good, but he's a guy who at this point in the career you should be looking for the round out a roster. More of a Robin and a Batman, as it were. He's come on lately, but his production is more in the "pretty good" category. It is nice to see a guy who plays with a sense of urgency about getting into the backfield for once though. Most of our linemen over the past few years just kind of engage and make no attempt to get by their guy until like 10 minutes later.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 11-01-2011, 09:42 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Patriots last 5 games before the playoffs (or going home):

Indianapolis
@Washington
@Denver (hopefully Tebow is still starting...)
Miami
Buffalo

That's a perfect way to finish a season. That last game could be to win the division as well.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:18 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

I mean that's awesome but I really am ok with not going one and done in the playoffs this year haha.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-02-2011, 10:50 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Yeah, the season can't be considered a success unless we unless we win a playoff game(preferably, multiple playoff games). We've had our fill of division titles and statistics. Time to get over the hump and win some games when they matter. Really not sure this team has that in them.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 11-02-2011, 11:20 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah, the season can't be considered a success unless we unless we win a playoff game(preferably, multiple playoff games). We've had our fill of division titles and statistics. Time to get over the hump and win some games when they matter. Really not sure this team has that in them.
Assuming they get over the next few weeks 2-2 then the worst they should finish is 11-5. That should be good for probably at least one home playoff game.

I'm not sure the Jets can do the same damage they did last year, the Bills would be tough but I'd be confident in NE, any AFC West or South team should be ok as well.

The only two teams I don't want to see are Pitt or Baltimore and normally the Pats do well against Pitt.

If they get on a bit of a roll come playoff time no one will want to play them. In the two losses Brady hasn't been great. I'm confident the Pats can outscore any team in the AFC if he plays even if the defense continues it's suckiness.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:01 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Our D can't stop anyone. Call me Captain Obvious, but there's no way we make it through playoff games winning shootout after shootout.

Baltimore at least looks like an offense that has an occasional identity crisis and can be kept in check. But I really don't have any confidence in our team against Baltimore / Pitt b/c both teams can score plenty and shut down an opposing offense on any given week.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:23 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
Assuming they get over the next few weeks 2-2 then the worst they should finish is 11-5. That should be good for probably at least one home playoff game.
If they go 2-2 over the next 4, they had better win all 5 games in that last 5 game stretch. I think we can almost count the Jets game as a loss. They've been really good at home. The Giants have been competitive in every game (sadly, they shouldn't have been in some). KC is vastly over-rated but they still win games. Philly is in Philly. That's going to be a rough game.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:18 PM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

Welker didn't practice with a neck injury. Likely from that form tackle Polamalu made.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
Old 11-02-2011, 06:54 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Belichick doesn't believe our secondary was the problem against the Steelers. Yeah BB, our 32nd ranked pass defense isn't the issue at all.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-02-2011, 06:59 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Obviously. Molden and Adams are totally NFL caliber corners. Ihedigbo is a revaluation at safety as well.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 11-02-2011 at 07:22 PM.