Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 08-31-2012, 12:15 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
My biggest fear with McDaniels is how long it takes him to make in game adjustments. He can come up with a gameplan that can hang 50 on anyone, but he's a very stubborn playcaller once the game starts. For instance in 2007 vs. Baltimore they were leaving the middle of the field wide open and cheating on crossing routes and diverting Safety help towards Moss. It was there for 3 quarters and it wasn't until the last drive McDaniels finally called a dump over the middle to Gaffney which went for like 25 yards. With the offense struggling all day he could have made that call sooner which would have opened up other things instead of just trying to force it to a covered Moss or Welker.

Hopefully he doesn't call too many RB screens either. It should be a defensive playcall if the other team is getting too much pressure, but so far in the preseason it looks like Charlie Weis is back. Our pass catchers are too dominant to run an excess of screens. Hopefully this has just been vanilla preseason playcalling so far.
I don't buy anything this team have done in the preseason. Realistically all we have seen is off tackle runs, sweeps, fullback dives, RB screens and bubble screens.

I like the odd screen early on in a game to give the D-linemen and LBs something else to think about, however I agree that too many of them are just counter productive.

Is anyone else worried with how this team runs up the middle? Any yardage gained I have seen is either a designed outside run or a run up the middle where the back cuts outside. Maybe strengthening the interior will help however I would like to see Ridley in particular to be able to beat up on the defense to tire them out

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:18 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Brian Hoyer, Dan Koppen, and James Ihedigbo have been released.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:19 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Koppen, Ihedigblow and Hoyer have been cut.

EDIT: Matt beat me to it. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:22 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just saw your tweet, Matt. What kind of deal are you expecting if any?

Quote:
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:24 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A little surprised by Hoyer's release. I know a few have sepculated recently, however if Brady goes down the offense needs to be changed for Mallett. This current offense is just not tailored to his talents. Mallett is definitely the better talent, but if Brady goes down week one Hoyer gives the better chance to win this year. Not sure how I feel about this

Old 08-31-2012, 12:25 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hoyer is surprising - didn't they put a 2nd round tender on him? AZ might sign him and I know the Packers could use him as insurance.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:30 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Branch gone as well.

Clearly getting rid of a lot of older vets here. Brady is on the bubble!!!

Old 08-31-2012, 12:32 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Deion Branch is mildly surprising - he would be a nice reliable target for Tannehill
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:33 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Eh...Branch doesn't have anything left. The only thing he had going for him throughout camp was a chemistry with Brady. The guy can't run anymore.

I will now be shocked if Gaffney isn't brought back in

Old 08-31-2012, 12:43 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hoyer for nothing is a bit surprising. Maybe we should chalk it up to the "Cassel Effect?" Or just about any other player another team has lured away from NE only to see them suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
I don't buy anything this team have done in the preseason. Realistically all we have seen is off tackle runs, sweeps, fullback dives, RB screens and bubble screens.

I like the odd screen early on in a game to give the D-linemen and LBs something else to think about, however I agree that too many of them are just counter productive.

Is anyone else worried with how this team runs up the middle? Any yardage gained I have seen is either a designed outside run or a run up the middle where the back cuts outside. Maybe strengthening the interior will help however I would like to see Ridley in particular to be able to beat up on the defense to tire them out
I am with you. Ridley has been way too easy to bring down. While the Oline play has been poor, breaking a tackle is still on the RB and Ridley hasn't been doing it.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:58 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

DB Derrick Martin has just been released. All the others I was ok with but this has ruined it. The madness has to stop!!!!11!!1!!1

Old 08-31-2012, 01:08 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Patriots just cut Brian Hoyer. (cough)

I also am glad to see Waters probably coming back.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:32 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

We've really let some good players walk today. Branch was old, I get it. But he was always a reliable receiver, so this tells us a whole lot about the direction of the offense going forward. It's pretty obvious that BB wants to get younger, faster and quicker on offense. This bodes well for next year's draft that has a lot of talent at WR, but it also tells me that BB likes Ebert quite a lot to keep him over Branch despite having done nothing this preseason. I like Ebert, he has some really good tape. Overall I like what the Patriots have done so far and if they continue to get younger, faster and quicker on offense as well they'll continue to be a force to be reckoned with for the coming years. As you can all see I'm really excited about this group of players.

Quote:
Old 08-31-2012, 03:11 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I must say I'm pretty surprised about Hoyer and Branch being cut. What happens if Lloyd gets injured?
I'd rather have Branch than Edelman out there. Did Ebert impress that much?

I really hope Waters is coming back

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:32 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So, the Patriots WRs are Edelman, Welker, Lloyd, and Matthew Slater.

No, I didn't leave someone off. We kept 4. Either Slater finally developed into a WR or the Patriots really are rolling the dice at WR.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:32 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Damn, Ebert was cut as well. He made mistakes but I thought he played some solid football for us at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:49 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

52/53:

Offense:
Quarterbacks (2): Tom Brady, Ryan Mallett
Running backs (4): Steven Ridley, Shane Vereen, Danny Woodhead, Brandon Bolden
Wide receivers (4): Wes Welker, Brandon Lloyd, Julian Edelman, Matthew Slater
Tight ends (4): Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Daniel Fells, Visanthe Shiancoe
Offensive line (8): Nate Solder, Sebastian Vollmer, Marcus Cannon, Logan Mankins, Dan Connolly, Ryan Wendell, Donald Thomas, Nick McDonald

Defense:
Defensive end (6): Chandler Jones, Rob Ninkovich, Jermaine Cunningham, Trevor Scott, Justin Francis, Jake Bequette
Defensive tackle (5): Vince Wilfork, Kyle Love, Brandon Deaderick, Ron Brace, Marcus Forston
Linebacker (6): Jerod Mayo, Brandon Spikes, Dont'a Hightower, Bobby Carpenter, Tracy White, Mike Rivera
Cornerback (6): Devin McCourty, Kyle Arrington, Ras-I Dowling, Sterling Moore, Marquice Cole, Alfonzo Dennard
Safety (4): Patrick Chung, Steve Gregory, Tavon Wilson, Nate Ebner

Special teams:
Kicker (1): Stephen Gostkowski
Punter (1): Zoltan Mesko
Long snapper (1): Danny Aiken

Reserve lists:
Injured reserve (9): RB Jeff Demps, FB Spencer Larsen, TE Brad Herman, OL Kyle Hix, OL Jamey Richard, LB Dane Fletcher, CB Ross Ventrone, S Will Allen, S Josh Barrett
Physically unable to perform (2): DL Myron Pryor, TE Jake Ballard
Non-football injury (1): OL Markus Zusevics
Did not report (1): Brian Waters
Left squad (1): Tony Fiammetta

I imagine Brian Waters will soon be activated.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:50 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Waters came back that would certainly ease my mind about this O-line, assuming hes stayed in relative good shape during the off season.

Quote:
Old 09-01-2012, 03:35 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Waters seldom went to camp even when he was with KC and he knows what it takes to stay in decent shape. I think this may have been the plan all along.

The short term fan in me is disappointed Demps got IR'd, however it was a little unrealistic to think he could do much this year. Long term wise though it makes a ton of sense.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:03 AM    (permalink
GaMeTiMe
Veteran

GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Keeping Shiancoe over guys like Branch and Gaffney tells me a lot about what New England's offense is gonna look like this year..
GaMeTiMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:03 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

I really just don't understand why the team kept a guy like Shiancoe over a natural WR like Branch.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:06 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
I really just don't understand why the team kept a guy like Shiancoe over a natural WR like Branch.
Branch can't play anymore. Keeping Shiancoe over Gaffney is more of a head scratcher although ultimately I think both will be on the roster at some point

Old 09-01-2012, 09:29 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Released players who interested me, whether as prospects, by virtue of having played in New England before, positional need, potential scheme fit, etc.:

ARI: WR Isaiah Williams, OG Russ Hochstein

ATL: LB Jerrell Harris

BAL: S Cyhl Quarles

BUF: N/A

CAR: OT Matt Reynolds, CB Darius Butler, S Reggie Smith

CHI: CB Jonathan Wilhite

CIN: QB Zac Robinson, RB Dan Herron

CLE: FB Brad Smelley, TE Dan Gronkowski

DAL: FB Shaun Chapas, LB Adrian Hamilton, S Eddie Whitley

DEN: WR Jason Hill, TE Cornelius Ingram, OT Ryan Harris, OG Tony Hills

DET: WR Maurice Stovall, DE Everette Brown, DE Ugo Chinasa, CB Alphonso Smith

GB: OT Andrew Datko

HOU: FB Moran Norris, WR Juaquin Iglesias, DE Mitch King

IND: RB Darren Evans, WR Jeremy Ross, C Zane Taylor

JAC: N/A

KC: WR Junior Hemingway, CB Donald Washington

MIA: WR B.J. Cunningham, WR Jeff Fuller, DE Jamaal Westerman, LB Gary Guyton

MIN: RB Jordan Todman, CB Chris Carr

NO: WR Greg Camarillo

NYG: DT Marcus Thomas

NYJ: DE Jay Richardson, CB Donnie Fletcher

PHI: FB Emil Igwenagu, WR Mardy Gilyard, WR Marvin McNutt, DT Landon Cohen, CB Joselio Hanson, S Phillip Thomas

OAK: N/A

PIT: WR Marquis Maze, WR Derrick Williams, DT Corbin Bryant, CB Terrence Frederick

SD: FB Jacob Hester, DE Ricky Elmore

SF: WR Chris Owusu, DT Tony Jerod-Eddie, DE Cam Johnson

STL: QB Tom Brandstater, FB Ovie Mughelli, WR Kris Durham, WR Jermaine Kearse, TE Cory Harkey, DE Pierre Allen, DE Vernon Gholston, CB Kendric Burney, S Phillip Adams

TB: WR Jordan Shipley, WR Tiquan Underwood, DT Frank Okam

TEN: WR James Kirkendoll

WAS: QB Jonathan Crompton, RB Tim Hightower
Old 09-01-2012, 09:34 AM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
Because they value the TE position more at this point. If there's an injury to that position, they need to be able to keep going. With the way they use Woodhead, they really don't need more than 4 receivers.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:04 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

I really don't think Woodhead was the deciding factor on whether or not to cut Gaffney and Branch haha.

Quote: