Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 11-13-2012, 09:02 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
Do Not Want!

and I pretty much am for every veteran reclamation project that's ever been tossed around.
Agreed! Do not want. I would take Cunningham over Edwards any day.

On an other poin, if you need a reason to not take everything PFF says read this

Quote:
6. Chandler Jones, DE, NE (+11.4)

Didnít do much against the Bills, except pick up a solitary hurry and just the one tackle. Post bye-week blues, or is Jones running on empty? He sits out an average of just 6.3 snaps per game for the Patriots.
Jones did have a quiet second half, but in the first quarter he was a big factor in the ff by Wilfork when he had CJ Spiller covered in the flat. He also drew a big holding call on Glenn and he forced Fitzpatrick to step up in the pocket right into Rob Ninkovich. Jones may not have made many individual "splash" plays but at numerous times you seen him create things for others which is what the good defensive players do

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:04 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
Ray Edwards was cut. Sign Ray Edwards!
I bet it will be expensive.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:07 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tedy Bruschi claimed that Belichick's focus against the Vikings in the past was limiting Edwards rather than Jared Allen, so there should be some respect for Edwards. I'm not sure why he wasn't productive in Atlanta (laziness, fit, injuries?) but he was previously an effective pass rusher and has great size (6'5", 275), strength (30 reps) and explosion (39" vertical at the Combine.)
Old 11-13-2012, 10:09 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
I bet it will be expensive.
I wouldn't exactly break the bank for him, but he has only played 212 snaps this year (out of almost 600.) Obviously he wasn't effective in that limited playing time, so I think a one-year deal for a low amount could be negotiated. Otherwise, I'm with you on not committing big money or a long-term contract to him.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:17 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wonder if it would take an injury on the DL to get the Patriots to consider bringing him in.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:20 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

I know I'm looking too far ahead at this point, but does anyone else think 2013 needs to be a trade back/trade down year? The Patriots had the youngest starting lineup in the league to begin the season, and despite some of the defensive struggles, they have some young talent at every position to develop. Wide receiver and potentially right guard could use youth injections, but the Patriots have consistently ranked among the best offenses in the league this year; it seems like a waste to work on scoring more points when giving up points is the problem.

The solution appears to be finding more specialized players. Obviously an interior pass rusher, maybe a rotational end, a linebacker who can cover tight ends. Are any of those necessary in the first or second round, though? It seems like the majority of the defense is pretty sound, but can be exploited in consistent ways which are best addressed with mid-round rotational players. The chances of finding a long-term starter in the third or fourth round in the front seven are pretty low (20-30%) but the starting lineup already looks pretty good.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:11 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't really care if they trade back or not. What they need to do is find people who will contribute right away in the areas they need help in. If someone like Jelani Jenkins shoots up draft boards, and the Patriots think he'll be a Michael Boley type cover linebacker in the NFL, but they only plan on playing him 30-40% of the time they should still pull the trigger. Same with a guy like Sheldon Richardson, if they think he'll come in and play 30% of the snaps, but he'll produce like Geno Atkins did early in his career then pull the trigger as well.

The only thing they can't do early is take a high upside developmental guy who specializes in the run game (Hightower) even if they plan on playing him all 3 downs. Get guys who can stop the pass, and get the best ones that are available regardless of how much they plan on playing them.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:39 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't really care if they trade back or not. What they need to do is find people who will contribute right away in the areas they need help in. If someone like Jelani Jenkins shoots up draft boards, and the Patriots think he'll be a Michael Boley type cover linebacker in the NFL, but they only plan on playing him 30-40% of the time they should still pull the trigger. Same with a guy like Sheldon Richardson, if they think he'll come in and play 30% of the snaps, but he'll produce like Geno Atkins did early in his career then pull the trigger as well.

The only thing they can't do early is take a high upside developmental guy who specializes in the run game (Hightower) even if they plan on playing him all 3 downs. Get guys who can stop the pass, and get the best ones that are available regardless of how much they plan on playing them.
If I'm being honest and the Pats don't go offensive line in the first then I don't see where they get a full time starter unless they go CB. Guys like Richardson, Short, Ansah, Carradine etc won't be every down guys to start with, or even by the end of the year.

The problem with the Pats is they change so drastically depending on opponent. They may be in base 70% against one team and sub 70% against another. Trying to deduce who they will value is almost impossible

Old 11-18-2012, 07:46 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Branch cut. Salas and Talib added to active roster.
I didn't see the WR transaction coming.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:18 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

I'm cool with Salas on the active roster. Branch wasn't making enough of an offensive impact to prevent the Patriots from getting younger at the position.

Patriots/Colts preview:

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2012/...ek-eleven.html
Old 11-18-2012, 08:39 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Nice write up as always Matthew. I think this game is going to be won in one of two areas. The defensive line and the secondary.

Chandler Jones will go up against Castonzo which is a match up you have to favour Jones in. On the left side of the defensive line Cunningham and Nink will go up against Winston Justice who is most famous for being whipped play after play by Osi Umneyiora a few years back en route to a 7 sack performance. The DEs should have some success today, however the interior of the Colts line is just awful. Satele struggles with bigger, more powerful guys and the OGs as you mentioned are at best journeymen. If the defensive line can disrupt Luck then it could be a good day. Although one thing Luck does well is scramble within the pocket whilst keeping his eyes down the field.

In the secondary it will be interesting to see how often Talib plays and who he matches up on. If he were with the team a few more weeks I would expect him to primarily be on Reggie Wayne, however with Wayne being used as the move WR this year BB may decide just to employ Talib on one side in a certain type of coverage. Either way expect Wayne to be bracketed most of the day. The front 7 will like their chances against this Colts run game so it all comes down to stopping big plays. Donnie Avery and TY Hilton have both had some big chunk plays this year and the Pats have a tendency to give them up. However if they can get up early and limit Wayne I would like to hope that the secondary can force Luck into some mistakes and make this one a comfortable win.

My prediction is 31-20 Pats

Old 11-18-2012, 08:42 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

I think the Patriots will win as well, maybe 31-24? I'm nervous about Andrew Luck and the receiving options, but New England should be able to score fairly easily. This is not one of the best defenses the Patriots will see this season, especially without Dwight Freeney playing as well as he traditionally has.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:45 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
I think the Patriots will win as well, maybe 31-24? I'm nervous about Andrew Luck and the receiving options, but New England should be able to score fairly easily. This is not one of the best defenses the Patriots will see this season, especially without Dwight Freeney playing as well as he traditionally has.
Yeah Mathis is the main guy now on that defense.

I also forgot to mention Dwayne Allen for the Colts. Fleener hasn't gotten going yet and is inactive, however Allen has made some nice plays in recent weeks. Guarding TEs is one of the worrying points about the Pats defense this year as well. I do think the Colts can score, my hope is that the Pats can get a quick start and force the Colts to be one dimensional.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:44 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well that was nice.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:26 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
If I'm being honest and the Pats don't go offensive line in the first then I don't see where they get a full time starter unless they go CB. Guys like Richardson, Short, Ansah, Carradine etc won't be every down guys to start with, or even by the end of the year.

The problem with the Pats is they change so drastically depending on opponent. They may be in base 70% against one team and sub 70% against another. Trying to deduce who they will value is almost impossible
Ansah seems like a guy who could be a 3 down lineman in all of our schemes.

Personally, I see him as a Chandler Jones type at LDE.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:34 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...-patriots-fear

Mother ****. Seriously this is a huge injury for us. If Hernandez isnt ready to come back, it looks like BB was right to stock up on TEs this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:03 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...-patriots-fear

Mother ****. Seriously this is a huge injury for us. If Hernandez isnt ready to come back, it looks like BB was right to stock up on TEs this year.
There is not and expletive fitting enough for this situation. He would still be better than Vernon Davis though even with a broke forearm.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:06 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

The Gronkowski injury should have a major impact in the Houston and San Francisco games, but I think New England could still finish 11-5 or so.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:09 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
There is not and expletive fitting enough for this situation. He would still be better than Vernon Davis though even with a broke forearm.
[sarcasm]Hes a product of Brady and our history of offensively gameplanning around the TE position so no, you are wrong! [/sarcasm]

Seriously I am so sad right now. This ruined my weekend.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:14 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
[sarcasm]Hes a product of Brady and our history of offensively gameplanning around the TE position so no, you are wrong! [/sarcasm]

Seriously I am so sad right now. This ruined my weekend.
I know there has never been a Pats player who I've genuinely enjoyed watching more than Gronk. It's going to suck to not watch him play for an extended period of time.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:27 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sorry about Gronk, guys. I love him, injury sucks. That's why you don't play you don't play an all pro on the extra point team while up 30 though.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:39 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

That's his role. If you're not going to play him up 30 then don't play him at all on extra points. I hate this stuff about being up a certain amount of points and then just stopping. I can kinda agree that you don't want such a valuable weapon putting himself at risk blocking XPs and field goals, however we all know that as soon as an important field goal or XP gets blocked then we are all saying why don't we have better blockers there.

This injury sucks, but it could actually work out in the Pats favour. The division is all but wrapped up. Gronk sitting for a few weeks may acually get his hip healthy. Plus if Hernandez comes back Thursday then hopefully he will pick up some of the slack

Old 11-19-2012, 07:27 AM    (permalink
Vaylor
Rookie

Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

On a ******* extra point. Good God that is horrible luck.
Vaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:45 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It sucks, but it happens. **** luck.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:57 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

I think I agree with the consensus that he shouldnt be in for extra points. We have like 8 TEs on the roster who could all be in there over him.

Quote:
Quote: